ARMA III new gameplay video!

• Thread starter Gabkicks
  • 134 comments
You'd be surprised, Arma 3 runs better for me than Arma 2 does. Arma 2 was horribly 'optimised', they've actually attempted to improve the performance for Arma 3.

No problem Jay
Friend request sent on steam.

Got the invite, many thanks :D

You'd be surprised, Arma 3 runs better for me than Arma 2 does. Arma 2 was horribly 'optimised', they've actually attempted to improve the performance for Arma 3.

Good to hear, it was my concern. Arma II runs well for me but I was worried Arma III will tip it way over the edge.

Well I should say that not everyone has the same experience, in fact a few people with the same processor as me (i5 2500K) have said it only really uses a single core, but it runs well on all four cores for me. So your mileage, etc. And the helicopter showcase was quite wonky before (I was getting 40+ fps in the infantry showcase and only 18 in the helicopter one) but I've heard they've fixed it recently.

So there is a new update for ArmA III (0.54) that includes a debug console, and it's great if you are into the mission editing business.

Then there is also a photomode-like feature introduce with it called "Splendid" along with some other features like an animation viewer, a single player spectator mode and a GUI interface editor.

The official change-log is here. Quite liking these new features.

Last edited:
there is also a photomode-like feature introduce with it called "Splendid"

I can't see that in the list, do you know how to activate/use it? I like the sound of fog, I bet that'll be put to good use in some custom scenarios. For some reason I'm picturing a mission similar to that bit in Insomnia where you're hunting a guy but you can't see anything. Or something. I don't know, but in any case, hopefully they'll code it so that the game runs faster when it's foggy, like an automatic reduction in draw distance or something similar. That seems like wishful thinking, though.

Well, I had access to it via debug console in the game mission editor.

There is a set of options in the debug console, and in the lower part there should be the "camera" function. I'm still fiddling with it (I'm having a rather busy day off, so I haven't had too much time to fiddle around with it) and is something I'm still exploring.

I should note that I still have the lite version (well, until the 25th when I will be able to purchase the full alpha), however it should be available for everyone, at least in the mission editor.

As for the the fog conditions, the game does reduce the draw distance, is just that the particle engine isn't that good to replicate it, I as well hope for improvements in that area, however I'm quite pleased in how the game runs, and how the draw distance works now (I can't have it at 1000+ objects, but I still can have 12000 view distance with good FPS, is pretty well optimized compared to ArmA II, which was a nightmare to get it to run right).

Here be 2 examples:

8D64222926D59C6A1D02C2236274D8D5BD4AFE30

30842CF25C0B9A3C9134019953383A5554F6201F

Last edited:
Yes.

Has anyone had a go with the sniper yet? I'm itching to give it a try (haven't been able to top a 750m kill with the DMR so far) but I'm not able to just yet.

Also there's lots of stuff floating around about the Beta they're showing at E3; attack helicopters, MANPADS, trucks and such, apparently it should be released to Alpha purchasers in June or July. I'd post a video but I'm on the app so that's tricky.

Arma 3 Beta is out on the 25th of June!

Source

I've been playing it online lately, it's so much fun. Just now I was crawling along the shore from the firing range to the buildings to the northwest, when I got there I saw the guys I was trying to scout for get ambushed by some guys I warned them about (slow clap) and shortly after the building I was in was mortared and destroyed. So that was a shame. I think I'll sniff out some more organised games, it's great when people co-ordinate.

Very excited about the beta though.

You might be able to get it to run but that graphics card is pretty dire, especially considering how good the rest of the system is. I'd say a 660Ti would give pretty good frame rates with the rest of that setup.

The beta is out now if you're subscribed to the development build of Arma 3, otherwise it'll be out on Tuesday. You can opt in to the dev build - which is not always stable - by going to Arma 3's properties window in Steam then selecting the Beta tab, there's a drop down menu there with the development build option.

Bought Arma III on Steam just a couple hours ago.

Actually put down a few hours of Wasteland before going to bed now. The gameplay is quite different from Arma II, not sure if I like it yet or what.

Graphics wise it's of course top notch, and the sounds are beautiful.

Gonna play some more tomorrow when the Beta is released, if it's on time.

You're probably asleep already but you can get the beta now with the developer build, I spent some time earlier playing with the new vehicles (that Opfor attack chopper is awesome and I love the IFVs' amphibious mode) and started one of the new scenarios. I wasn't too sure about the gameplay at first myself but I find it far more accessible and intuitive (though still far from perfect) now, the new features - the new inventory system and sub-stances in particular - make it so hard to go back to Arma II!

Still no driver or gunner interiors in the armour, and when taken out in a helicopter the rotors stopped dead, instead of spinning down like they should have. Oddly, I survived the drop and the helicopter didn't explode. A few things to look at there before full release.

The new stance system is excellent, and the inventory system is much improved as neema_t said. The gunner position in the IFV seems better (in ArmA II it didn't feel right but I can't remember why exactly) but a modelled interior would be nice.

I wasn't sure if it was just the chopper being extremely tough, but earlier on I tried spawning a Blufor IFV directly in front of the Opfor attack chopper, I was the gunner in the IFV. The chopper fired a whole load of rockets (without taking off) which did nothing more than destroy the IFV's wheels, then when I fired back I only killed the crew. I was able to get in the (badly damaged) chopper which had red Hull, MRot and ATrq statuses but green instruments, engine and er, sixth thing. I then took off, then crash landed without exploding (because I flew too close to an explosion), rolled the chopper by pointing the cannon at the ground and firing and it STILL didn't explode... Now that's a tough chopper!

Playing the beta now and my god I'm loving it, that stealth UH-60 has some crazy air capabilities, also the thing looks beautiful:

D40AE7F88BB3606401F16AB65D81BDD391739C23

86C00451115BBF23A9D9CEF6CB956FAA0213B6F9

Bought it, love it.

Thanks neema for the alpha invit ;) made me taste it, now I'm hooked. You like a crack dealer :lol:

Played a MP match with neema on wasteland.

Was fun, the match was a bit dull as we didn't encounter enemies when well equiped.

Played a capture the towns before, that was more fun. Wasteland is a cool mod but needs a bit more tweaking for objectives

Yeah, Wasteland is, I don't know, there were loads of players in the lobby but I think I saw about four people who weren't friendly the entire time before the restart. I normally play Domination and... Is it Capture & Hold? They're pretty much the same but co-op rather than adversarial, they're fun though and the frame rate isn't terrible like it was in Wasteland.

That said, that time I avenged your murder was awesome, I felt like a pro because that guy was facing my direction yet he just wasn't expecting a chilled out reclining surprise attack, apparently. It's just a shame I was killed immediately afterwards.

That SITREP video Dslyexci (yes, I did have to look his name up) posted mentioned a mod that adds all of Arma Cold War Assault, Arma II and Take On Helicopter's content to Arma 3, I'm going to look that up now. It's a shame I don't have Cold War Assault I guess.

Trailer for All In Arma, needless to say I WANT THIS!

Last edited:
Than I think you are in luck mate. I have Cold Assault with Arma X and now with the deluxe edition.
I look to gift it to you ;)

Next time we play a capture, far more interesting.

If you could, that would be awesome! However, if you own both on Steam it probably won't give you giftable copies, I don't know though.

Problem is, something in yesterday's dev build update broke All in Arma so it won't work anyway! I'm going to see if I can revert to the normal build instead.

Surprisingly my little graphics card handle arma 3 quite well, I can play on High settings with over 30fps.

Last edited:
Neema : Need to wait 30 days to Gift it as it seems. If I can it's yours as you seem to quite enjoy the Arma Series 👍 and are my survivor bud :D

Wow, thanks, that would be awesome! In the mean time, have some screenshots of All In Arma working (you can click them for the full size):

Honestly I can't remember how I got it to work but I'll post a guide if I remember, it wasn't too straightforward unfortunately... But it's worth doing!

Edit: Ahhh! They're getting Workshop integration into the dev build soon for SP and MP scenarios! And BattlEye, but whatever. Also accuracy-based scoring for the shooting range (which I haven't tried yet) and more content is on the way, two packages, both of which are bigger than the Sniper upgrade.

Last edited:
Back