Assetto corsa coming to PS4 and Xbox one

• Thread starter hennessey86
  • 10,511 comments
Really surprised by this news. Although we have seen PS4 dev kits in Kunos' office a while ago so it's to be expected sooner or later. More competition is always good for GT/Forza, though I suspect it still won't topple the 2 behemoths' dominance. Fewer car/track count and hardcore sim physics just doesn't appeal to the mass console crowd unfortunately.

There are a couple of things that worries me:

1) Dumbing down physics for consoles (or keeping all the same but compromising PC physics).

2) The porting process to PS4/XB1 taking development focus and resources away from car/track/physics modelling.

3) The "game" aspect of AC is lackluster from what I know (barebones career, mediocre AI, also lackluster online). The game is basically a hotlap simulator at this point. Although I'm totally OK with that, the console crowd wouldn't.

4) Wider audience brings a lot of negativity as well. Someone, somewhere will always complain. Just look at GT/Forza/PCARS etc. I hope Kunos doesn't buckle to public pressure and start catering to the casual crowd. Tough decision, because casual brings more money, but Kunos seems to be doing alright so far.

5) Microtransactions and DLC crapfest + declining content quality. The Dream Pack is amazingly good value. I hope Kunos doesn't stoop down to EA/Codemasters level once they join the console crowd. They seem like a respectable bunch, so hoping it stays that way 👍

Anywho, it's an interesting time for sim racing fans. We really are spoilt for choice this generation. Who's next? Simbin bringing RRRE or ISI bringing rFactor 2 to console? :D

OMG this is amazing. I was not expecting this. Can't think of anything more exciting other than GT7 reveal. I always wanted to play this and now it is possible :)

That's Italian!! Mario_(Mario_Kart_Wii).jpg Looking forward to 2016

Really surprised by this news. Although we have seen PS4 dev kits in Kunos' office a while ago so it's to be expected sooner or later. More competition is always good for GT/Forza, though I suspect it still won't topple the 2 behemoths' dominance. Fewer car/track count and hardcore sim physics just doesn't appeal to the mass console crowd unfortunately.

There are a couple of things that worries me:

1) Dumbing down physics for consoles (or keeping all the same but compromising PC physics).

2) The porting process to PS4/XB1 taking development focus and resources away from car/track/physics modelling.

3) The "game" aspect of AC is lackluster from what I know (barebones career, mediocre AI, also lackluster online). The game is basically a hotlap simulator at this point. Although I'm totally OK with that, the console crowd wouldn't.

4) Wider audience brings a lot of negativity as well. Someone, somewhere will always complain. Just look at GT/Forza/PCARS etc. I hope Kunos doesn't buckle to public pressure and start catering to the casual crowd. Tough decision, because casual brings more money, but Kunos seems to be doing alright so far.

5) Microtransactions and DLC crapfest + declining content quality.
Dude, this is why it's going to only release in 2016. They're not building the game from scratch, as they already have a base to build on, and they have plenty of time to receive community input, even if we are not actively involved in development. Also, just look at their name. All this developer knows is how to do simulations. If they even so much as think about giving us anything less than that, then they wouldn't be developing it at all. So relax, nothing is set in stone yet regarding the content.

Good news :)

Before talking about Kaz or Gran Turismo, you have to look Assetto Corsa.

Assetto Corsa has a very good physical and sound.

For the rest, it remains a lot of work. This game is struggling on many issues including career mode and AI.

As for content, it blows hot and cold.

Cars, if the DLCs are included in console version, there will be a nice list. However, tracks, there are very very few. But they have the merit of modeling these tracks in laser and not at random as SMS did for Project Cars.

You should also know that there is no day/night cycle and weather. Not even, static.

If it doesn't come out in the same period of Gran Turismo 7, I'll buy it. And I hope, they will improve their game .... At least, some points.

I know that Zlork, but if AC succeeds in adding a decent career mode and other stuff, GT will struggle a bit versus PCars and this. Also DriveClub is more fun than GT.

You say that like you know everything that will be in it.
After GT5 and 6 I have at least some reason to think GT7 will leave something to be desired. As a fan, I obviously hope I'm wrong :D

Merged by moderator - Please do not double post

But it is just FOV, motion blur and the other things, although AC's lack of crowds and other race atmosphere details might have something to do with it. DC just happened to make that a priority in their game so the default settings are the best mix for sense of speed. In a sim it's left up to you to put things together the way you want them either towards a more realistic feel or something more gamelike as Lewis suggests.

I think there may be more to it than that. Consider for example camera lens effects, like fish eye or wide angle lenses. There could be any manner of things like that we have no access or control over. Also, some views in DC may not be 1:1 with reality. When they made the game Mirrors Edge they exaggerated the position of the characters arms & legs so they looked right on the screen, even though they weren't right at all. Maybe there are tricks like this in DRIVECLUB that have been used & we're unaware of, & have no access to.

I didn't like Assetto at all, have tried it twice now, & all I can say is it's not for me. Maybe it did have something to do with how my friend had it set up, maybe not, who knows.

VBR
I think there may be more to it than that. Consider for example camera lens effects, like fish eye or wide angle lenses. There could be any manner of things like that we have no access or control over. Also, some views in DC may not be 1:1 with reality. When they made the game Mirrors Edge they exaggerated the position of the characters arms & legs so they looked right on the screen, even though they weren't right at all. Maybe there are tricks like this in DRIVECLUB that have been used & we're unaware of, & have no access to.

I didn't like Assetto at all, have tried it twice now, & all I can say is it's not for me. Maybe it did have something to do with how my friend had it set up, maybe not, who knows.
This is a very similar situation to when I used to talk about forza vs gran truismo, I used to hear I played it at a friends house a lot. But until you have it in your own home on your own set up and you have given it a proper go I really don't think you can come to the conclusion that you don't like something.

VBR

All I can say is, if you skip this game due to a session at a friends house, you'll really be missing out on a great sim experience.

This is a very similar situation to when I used to talk about forza vs gran truismo, I used to hear I played it at a friends house a lot. But until you have it in your own home on your own set up and you have given it a proper go I really don't think you can come to the conclusion that you don't like something.
All I can say is, if you skip this game due to a session at a friends house, you'll really be missing out on a great sim experience.

That could be the case. I didn't like DRIVECLUB at all the first time I played it (see here), but it's definitely growing on me, Maybe I'll give AC another chance when it arrives on PS4.

👍

any news if it will be physical or digital?, glad they're handeling the port, hopefully they do it justice and release it bug free unlike some people.

If it was only digital, I don't thik they would need an external publisher.

@JvM Makes sense, I hope they sell it for 40$ or something to compensate for the lack on content (quantity not quality I mean)

@JvM Makes sense, I hope they sell it for 40$ or something to compensate for the lack on content (quantity not quality I mean)

what? 100 cars will be a lot of content, it will only have 20 tracks but they are more than those who had Forza 5.
the official price with Dream Pack (included in the console version) is €49.99/$54.99/£39.99, don't expect a lower price

Here's an interesting article with Kunos own Mark Massarutto. It's in Italian so translate it with Google (click on the "Translating..." link if it doesn't load straight away).

Original is here: http://www.eurogamer.it/articles/2015-06-04-assetto-corsa-su-ps4-e-xbox-one-intervista

My favourite quote from the article:
However I can already confirm support for all steering wheels Thrustmaster, Fanatec and Logitech that are (or will be) compatible with PS4 and XB1 when launching the game.

Last edited:
Agreed. 100 cars and 20 tracks is more than enough content, considering that the PC version's DLC plan runs to 2018, I expect support for the console versions to be of a similar period.

My favourite part by miles and miles. :cheers:

Eurogamer: Assetto Corsa model is driving his undeniable strength: the feelings will be identical to the PC?

Marco Massarutto: This is one of the aspects that have made the success of critics and audiences of Assetto Corsa, so it is the first thing we made sure to report faithfully on the console, and is the aspect that will have priority in the budget performance available. In fact, the developer version of Assetto Corsa console already has the same feelings, dynamism and force feedback of the PC version.

Dude, this is why it's going to only release in 2016. They're not building the game from scratch, as they already have a base to build on, and they have plenty of time to receive community input, even if we are not actively involved in development. Also, just look at their name. All this developer knows is how to do simulations. If they even so much as think about giving us anything less than that, then they wouldn't be developing it at all. So relax, nothing is set in stone yet regarding the content.

Hopefully that's the case. Community input can be a good or bad thing, depending on who they listen to. And look at PCARS even after delays for almost a year it still hasn't got everything sorted out AI/bugs/glitches wise. True they already have all the assets (cars/tracks), but making a career mode and AI around it is an entirely different matter.

In any case, I think I might stick with PC for this one. Mods FTW 👍

what? 100 cars will be a lot of content, it will only have 20 tracks but they are more than those who had Forza 5.
the official price with Dream Pack (included in the console version) is €49.99/$54.99/£39.99, don't expect a lower price

100 cars? wow, I played a version of it a month ago and it had like 15 cars only and even less tracks.

VBR
Here's an interesting article with Kunos own Mark Massarutto. It's in Italian so translate it with Google (click on the "Translating... link if it doesn't load straight away).

Original is here: http://www.eurogamer.it/articles/2015-06-04-assetto-corsa-su-ps4-e-xbox-one-intervista

My favourite quote from the article:
I found this interesting too

Marco Massarutto: The first tests, carried out as a pure technical evaluation, we had them executed in late 2013 when Sony, after seeing Assetto Corsa, sent us a devkit proposing to "play" a little '.

Also he says they will be listening to the community in regards to career mode so eveveryone get shooting your ideas to them

I am excited by this news. I can't wait for 2016. Even if the game continues to be a "Hot Lap simulator" I'd be OK with it, as long as the physics aren't watered down. As for graphics... The consoles should be able to do that @ 1080p/60 without FPS hiccups.

Great. The more the merrier. Hope it's a polished and final version by the time it does get released.

Good to see more serious driving sims coming to consoles. About damn time. I wonder if we're ever going to see a realistic rally game.

Very cool. I'll definitely buy it, just because I've heard great things about it. About how realistic it is with a wheel. I honestly don't care if they don't put a deep career mode or anything like that. We've got Project CARS for that. An insanely realistic hotlap simulator would be fine by me, as long as it had online multiplayer :D.

I have a lot of games on ps4, but my racing library is great already. I've got Driveclub, The Crew, and Project CARS. All very very different to each other, and all massively fun to play. Assetto Corsa will fit in nicely. By the Time GT7 comes out, it will want to be bloody amazing to be worth adding to that already impressive list of console racers.

Very cool. I'll definitely buy it, just because I've heard great things about it. About how realistic it is with a wheel. I honestly don't care if they don't put a deep career mode or anything like that. We've got Project CARS for that. An insanely realistic hotlap simulator would be fine by me, as long as it had online multiplayer :D.

I have a lot of games on ps4, but my racing library is great already. I've got Driveclub, The Crew, and Project CARS. All very very different to each other, and all massively fun to play. Assetto Corsa will fit in nicely. By the Time GT7 comes out, it will want to be bloody amazing to be worth adding to that already impressive list of console racers.

Is there NO news at all on GT7? Irks me so as to why PD are being so secretive. :boggled:

Back