Assetto corsa coming to PS4 and Xbox one

• Thread starter hennessey86
  • 10,511 comments
Very cool. I'll definitely buy it, just because I've heard great things about it. About how realistic it is with a wheel. I honestly don't care if they don't put a deep career mode or anything like that. We've got Project CARS for that. An insanely realistic hotlap simulator would be fine by me, as long as it had online multiplayer :D.

I have a lot of games on ps4, but my racing library is great already. I've got Driveclub, The Crew, and Project CARS. All very very different to each other, and all massively fun to play. Assetto Corsa will fit in nicely. By the Time GT7 comes out, it will want to be bloody amazing to be worth adding to that already impressive list of console racers.
PD has their work cut out for them project cars and AC will be leading the charge while Need for Speed taking 3rd place. :cheers: we are getting spoiled this gen for racing games.

One thing I do like about this announcement, is that it's essentially forcing development for all of the sim-racing genre.

Either Kunos will step-up and deliver game-improvements to attract the console-crowd (beyond it's physics), benefiting the PC fan base as well, or, they'll fail and at least bring attention the the fact that end-users (and not just console users) are still looking for a 'whole package' in their sim-racing expeditions.

If the latter happens, then another developer (S3, SMS, CodeMasters) may just be proactive and look to capitalize on such a development. Imagine SMS delivering the game they hyped (rather than Project BUGS), or CM actually going back to deeper-simulation in their games.

If the former happens, well.... that should be self explanatory. Kunos will (have) set the 'bar' of Sim Racing higher with improvements all across the board, be it the online component, or fleshing-out the career mode, or something else.
(and they will have really left PD's work cut-out for them)

TL;DR - Thanks to this announcement, either Kunos will deliver and current PC-owners will rejoice, along with Sim Racing newcomers -or- The reality that Sim Racing end-users are still looking for their 'whole package' will come to light, in a stronger sense.

Last edited:
I'm just hoping they get the fonsecker sound mods for the GT3 cars for the console guys, it adds a whole new level of immersion to the game

PD has their work cut out for them project cars and AC will be leading the charge while Need for Speed taking 3rd place. :cheers: we are getting spoiled this gen for racing games.

NFS taking third place? Sorry I can't agree with that. I've played NFS Rivals on PS4, and it's complete rubbish. Unless there's some amazing new NFS coming out that won't suck as badly as the last ten of them, I can't see an NFS game being better than either The Crew or Driveclub, which are both great games in their own right. I can see GT7 being better than those two (Gee I hope so for PD's sake), but they do indeed have their work cut out for them when they'll be up against Project CARS and Assetto Corsa.

One thing's for sure: Polyphony finally have some real competition on Playstation!

I pray this includes legacy Logitechs and not just the rumoured G29. Otherwise AC won't see a single penny out of my wallet.
from the hasdes of the italian language in the article you can get that for logitech he refers to g29 and not to legacy products. However not their business.

I would like to know if people can upload skins on console, skins made with template and graphic programs on pc.
Since there are no reason to remap all cars for console version (it really make no sense) and Kunos not being closed minded like PD wi might have this feature.

Correct but I assume @Arixant is referring to Kunos incorporating the Fonsecker (and other)sound mods directly into the game like they did with this car, which was so good as a mod, it made it into the release game:

That was actually pretty decent with the on-board, doesn't work with the replay angles at all though and that hand clipping the wheel :yuck: , hope for more on-board sounds like this though.

That was actually pretty decent with the on-board, doesn't work with the replay angles at all though and that hand clipping the wheel :yuck: , hope for more on-board sounds like this though.
Yeah that was a really old version of the mod, its official content now with several variants up for download.

Sorry, that video was from before the mod was released (WIP). The version that made it to the game has no issues that I know of and I've spent a fair bit of time in the car. The sounds though, are absolutely glorious. :eek::eek:

I don't get the "sense of speed" comments in any sim.

I have also perceived this "slow sense of speed" in AC at a few tracks. I don't know the technical term to explain what is happening, but I don't think it can be corrected with FOV. I can best explain it as.............

"the rate of pixel acceleration at different locations on my screen are not optimized to give the proper sense of speed."

......... it seems to me that the pixels (that are used to create objects like trees) off in the distance need to move slower than they currently do..............and then faster then they currently do just before they leave your screen at it's edges. The net result is the tree appears on your screen for the same amount of time, but AC needs to re-allocate the rate of acceleration of far and near objects to improve the "sense of speed."

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I have also perceived this "slow sense of speed" in AC at a few tracks. I don't know the technical term to explain what is happening, but I don't think it can be corrected with FOV. I can best explain it as.............

"the rate of pixel acceleration at different locations on my screen are not optimized to give the proper sense of speed."

......... it seems to me that the pixels (that are used to create objects like trees) off in the distance need to move slower than they currently do..............and then faster then they currently do just before they leave your screen at it's edges. The net result is the tree appears on your screen for the same amount of time, but AC needs to re-allocate the rate of acceleration of far and near objects to improve the "sense of speed."

You probably mean the LOD you are using make things popping up on your screen and this somehow ruin immersion/sense of speed. Maybe you need a better PC to run Assetto Corsa on full details, full LOD distance and high frame rate at least 100 fps capped at 60.

Would motion blur fix that? I know it's an option in AC but I've never used it. Sounds sort like what you're referring to.

This may be corrected by adjusting the FOV options. PCARS' default FOV on X1 isn't all that great for bumper view; I had to adjust it to 90 to get that low-slung high-speed bumper cam speed effect.

Then again, maybe AC just needs some effects to get the sense of speed right <--- going by your input, as I've never played it myself.

Its a FOV problem for people who have sense of speed issues in AC. If it was something in the game causing it than there would be more than a handful of people complaining about it.

Yeah I'm not sure how need for speed would be third best. On PS4 currently you have DC and The Crew, which are both way better arcade racing games than NFS. Not to mention by the time GT7 comes out PS4 will have pCARS, DC, The Crew, F1 2015, Dirt Rally (most likely), and Seb Loeb Rally, and now AC. I can't imagine any of those will be worse than NFS.

Although I definitely agree that we're being spoilt for choice this gen when it comes to good racing games.

kapnk006, what FOV value are you using in cockpit view, how big is your screen and how far from it are you sitting? I am assuming you are using cockpit view in relation to you comment on (I have also perceived this "slow sense of speed" in AC at a few tracks).

Pseudo racing game sense of speed is all related to FOV, if you distort your vision with a wide FOV, the distance in front of you looks like it is miles away and what is around you is wrapping you, but since the real distance is still the same it seems you are moving much faster than you really are. Some tracks with no immediate surrounding will not "feel" as fast as other track with more items close to the track, like trees or building.
In AC try Trento Bondone with a realistic FOV in an open wheeler and you will get greater sense of speed then doing the long straight in Silverstone., as it should be.

a Good SIM portray realistic sense of speed when driven with an realistic FOV, Racing Games give a synthetic effect to enhance what gamers are looking for. Coming from a racing game might take some time to adjust.

kapnk006, what FOV value are you using in cockpit view, how big is your screen and how far from it are you sitting? I am assuming you are using cockpit view in relation to you comment on (I have also perceived this "slow sense of speed" in AC at a few tracks).

Pseudo racing game sense of speed is all related to FOV, if you distort your vision with a wide FOV, the distance in front of you looks like it is miles away and what is around you is wrapping you, but since the real distance is still the same it seems you are moving much faster than you really are. Some tracks with no immediate surrounding will not "feel" as fast as other track with more items close to the track, like trees or building.
In AC try Trento Bondone with a realistic FOV in an open wheeler and you will get greater sense of speed then doing the long straight in Silverstone., as it should be.

a Good SIM portray realistic sense of speed when driven with an realistic FOV, Racing Games give a synthetic effect to enhance what gamers are looking for. Coming from a racing game might take some time to adjust.
I second this:tup: I struggled to adapt to a "realistic" FOV but now that I've grown accustomed to it, I couldn't go back to a "gamer" style, wide FOV. I like things looking real with real proportions, coming at me on the screen at the same speed they would in real life. It makes me a better driver too because the wide FOV tricks the mind into thinking you are moving faster than you really are, and with braking points and apexes coming at you on the screen faster than they would with a realistic FOV, it's harder to be more accurate with your inputs. Still if you really need that artificial sense of speed there's nothing wrong with it, I just urge anyone thinking of trying something more realistic to stick with it for a few days and see what happens. As always, the closer you are to the monitor, ideally within 4 feet or less, the better it will work.

I second this:tup: I struggled to adapt to a "realistic" FOV but now that I've grown accustomed to it, I couldn't go back to a "gamer" style, wide FOV. I like things looking real with real proportions, coming at me on the screen at the same speed they would in real life. It makes me a better driver too because the wide FOV tricks the mind into thinking you are moving faster than you really are, and with braking points and apexes coming at you on the screen faster than they would with a realistic FOV, it's harder to be more accurate with your inputs. Still if you really need that artificial sense of speed there's nothing wrong with it, I just urge anyone thinking of trying something more realistic to stick with it for a few days and see what happens. As always, the closer you are to the monitor, ideally within 4 feet or less, the better it will work.

Yes, it does work better the closer you are to the screen, but with the right FOV, it just doesn't feel fast enough. In FM5, for example, if you switch off motion effects, the bumper cam view gets stretched out to a mild degree (ala FM4) to give a heightened sense of speed.

Turn them on, and the objects appear just like they would in real life, you can clearly see markers around turns and the horizon, particularly in Prague for example, can be clearly seen... with effects off the horizon and clouds as well as objects around edges of your screen get zoomed out.

Either way I'm used to it, and I much prefer the heightened sense of speed even though I now sit about 5 feet away from the screen.

All they need to do is make sure its not the cesspit of ****ness that project cars is and they will win.

EXCITED.

Cesspit of sh****..... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:cheers:

On X1 yes, it is abysmal. Decent physics, that's it.

If you're a console owner, FM5 and 6 are going to be THE driving games to own - at least they do justice to the X1.

If you're a console owner, FM5 and 6 are going to be THE driving games to own - at least they do justice to the X1.
Ehhh saying it has decent physics is a bit of a stretch :lol:,It felt like shift 2 with a dumbed down version of the polish tire mod

If you're a Xbone owner, FM5 and 6 are going to be THE driving games to own - at least they do justice to the X1.

Fixed for you. :)

I'm sure Assetto Corsa will be excellent on console but there does seem to be a bit too much anti Pro cars sentiment in this thread.

Back