Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
Experimenting with the resolution in AC, I managed to get a stable 70 fps on a i5 4690 3.5 GHz, 16 gig HyperX, GTX 970, everything set to the minimum at a resolution of 15.350x1440. :sly:

I'm also using SRWE 2.3.1. (simple runtime windows editor). Otherwise you can't navigate through the views with this resolution on a 24" monitor.

Resolution is set in video.ini

That is a triple Samsung LC49RG90SSUXEN (49" 32:9, 5120x1440).
Wow really?!? You got 3 of those awesome ultrawide screens?!?

Wow really?!? You got 3 of those awesome ultrawide screens?!?
No, I simulated this resolution on 1 24" monitor by changing the resolution in video.ini. .

SRWE 2.3.1. is what you need to navigate through the three simulated monitors on just one monitor.

And why would you do/need that?
Experimenting as I said.

I was trying to find out how the FOV in AC looks like compared to my single or triple 24" setup on a:
  • 32" triple or single setup
  • 55 and 65" single. TVs. These give me a huge vertical FOV but not more horizontal FOV than a decent triple setup
  • 32:9 and 21:9 single or a triple setup.
I don't know if I should keep this simple and cheap 24" monitor setup and if it is worth the money to get a bigger and decent bezel-less single setup.
It is all about the mathematical correct FOV and which gives me the best FOV for the least amount of money. A 24" triple doesn't seem to look that bad but the bezels are huge and that bothers me. Also, I can't seem to align these monitors correctly which gives me a strange view when I'm playing any racing sim.

The 15.350x1440 was only to see if this 4 y.o. computer is able to run this resolution or not.

Yeah gotcha! I think 3 x 24" should be enough if installed correctly! By correctly I mainly mean close enough to the wheelbase which makes the FOV the biggest possible. But yeah you need to forget about the bezels! I think you will adapt in the end and forget they're there!

Yeah gotcha! I think 3 x 24" should be enough if installed correctly! By correctly I mainly mean close enough to the wheelbase which makes the FOV the biggest possible. But yeah you need to forget about the bezels! I think you will adapt in the end and forget they're there!

I've had 3x24", 3x27" (current, though not used), and 3x32" (with crappy 720p TV's). 24" is ok and gets you in the game but it's small and never quite feels lifelike, you kinda feel like you're looking through a letterbox slot. If 27" can be afforded that size is way better than 24" and definitely worth the extra coin, big enough to feel real-ish but doesn't take up a shedload of space. 32" is awesome and pretty much feels life-sized but they do require a lot of space and are a bit unwieldy.

Yeah I have VR and prefer it overall for immersion. But I can see its big limitations: mainly the performance hit, the grainy/pixelated graphics, the inability to interact with the real world around you (button boxes, telemetry monitors/apps, etc...), un-comfortability, etc...\
But yeah the bigger the screens the more immersive they are.
I once played on 3 x 65" 4K OLED LG TVs (costing each like 5000$). The TVs had to be set very far away though which, in my opinion, defeated their purpose.

Yeah I have VR and prefer it overall for immersion. But I can see its big limitations: mainly the performance hit, the grainy/pixelated graphics, the inability to interact with the real world around you (button boxes, telemetry monitors/apps, etc...), un-comfortability, etc...\
But yeah the bigger the screens the more immersive they are.
I once played on 3 x 65" 4K OLED LG TVs (costing each like 5000$). The TVs had to be set very far away though which, in my opinion, defeated their purpose.

As awesome as that looks it also a bit too big, I’m hoping to go 3x40 and VR when I make the switch hopefully this year to PC

I really don't though. :D No real performance hit, graphics look plenty sharp enough, muscle memory allows button box use with no issue, after a few minutes I don't even notice the HMD is on my head.

Well,l I've read that and while I agree with lots of it, it's very arguable. What is sharp to you may be too blurry for me! I currently game on a 4k TV so I consider 1080p to be a bit pixelated.
Yes, when I'm racing in VR, I forget most about the graphics and I get sunk into the awesomeness and experience but I can still notice it to be bad especially when looking at braking boards! I can barely read the board saying (for example) 200m just about 100m away if not less. And when you're going that fast, it's not a lot of time.
My specs and HMD device are in my signature.

I can still notice it to be bad especially when looking at braking boards! I can barely read the board saying (for example) 200m just about 100m away if not less. And when you're going that fast, it's not a lot of time.

I see people say this a lot and never understand it (not picking on you, just speaking in general). Mainly because I never have any problem seeing the braking boards. I can't always read the letters on the braking boards but that's hardly important because you don't need to read them. I just know I need to brake at the second one or the third one or whatever and that's super simple to pick out, so I've never understood where the issue is.

Well,l I've read that and while I agree with lots of it, it's very arguable. What is sharp to you may be too blurry for me! I currently game on a 4k TV so I consider 1080p to be a bit pixelated

Does your 4K TV have a 1080p/120hz mode? I recommend trying that out, maybe it's just me, but I find graphical flaws less noticeable when the games are running at 120fps. Perhaps some AA solutions work better at higher frame rates?

My PC is hooked up to my 55" 4K TV and I began running all my games at 4K (or as near my GPU could muster) when I first got it. As good as games looked, I've since been running my games in 1080p/120hz mode. With all the mods (CSP/SoL etc), I think 1080p looks more than acceptable in AC. I wouldn't call it blurry by any means and the 8xMSAA does a good job of clearing up jaggies. Though 4K is a fair amount sharper in AC, 120fps is so gorgeously smooth and responsive that I find it worth the resolution sacrifice.

I see people say this a lot and never understand it (not picking on you, just speaking in general). Mainly because I never have any problem seeing the braking boards. I can't always read the letters on the braking boards but that's hardly important because you don't need to read them. I just know I need to brake at the second one or the third one or whatever and that's super simple to pick out, so I've never understood where the issue is.
You're right and that's exactly what I'm doing. But it's just a benchmark about the graphics. I mean it's where you notice the issue the most. On a screen, you basically can read that very very far away which you can't do in VR. That's just why I referred to it in my post above and said "I can still notice it to be bad especially when looking at braking boards".

Does your 4K TV have a 1080p/120hz mode? I recommend trying that out, maybe it's just me, but I find graphical flaws less noticeable when the games are running at 120fps. Perhaps some AA solutions work better at higher frame rates?

My PC is hooked up to my 55" 4K TV and I began running all my games at 4K (or as near my GPU could muster) when I first got it. As good as games looked, I've since been running my games in 1080p/120hz mode. With all the mods (CSP/SoL etc), I think 1080p looks more than acceptable in AC. I wouldn't call it blurry by any means and the 8xMSAA does a good job of clearing up jaggies. Though 4K is a fair amount sharper in AC, 120fps is so gorgeously smooth and responsive that I find it worth the resolution sacrifice.
Yeah man, I wish but no my TV doesn't have 1080p/120hz mode. I'm gonna get a small 1080p/144hz proper gaming monitor, since I play some FPS games too. Believe it or not, I've not experienced that before. Just excited about discovering that high refresh rate/framerate for the first time.

You're right and that's exactly what I'm doing. But it's just a benchmark about the graphics. I mean it's where you notice the issue the most. On a screen, you basically can read that very very far away which you can't do in VR. That's just why I referred to it in my post above and said "I can still notice it to be bad especially when looking at braking boards".

I agree that text on the boards are one of the most obvious part of the VR experience for me where resolution (or lack of it) shows. Also cars' HUD displays fall into this category. But I'm with Brandon here that it doesn't bother me that much and couldn't just get back to racing with monitor after buying Oculus CV1. Everything else in the VR experience is far superior for me.

However one thing that I have found out working for me is wiping Oculus lenses clean with soft fabric before every time I put them on. This makes huge difference in clarity of the view in VR atleast for me.

However one thing that I have found out working for me is wiping Oculus lenses clean with soft fabric before every time I put them on. This makes huge difference in clarity of the view in VR atleast for me.

Yep, I keep a lens cleaning cloth at my rig and give it a good wipe down before putting it on. I also have two small USB powered fans on either side of my wheel that are aimed right at my head to keep everything cool when I have the HMD on, works a treat.

Speaking of VR and all of that, I was so excited yesterday to race.

Checked SRS and there was a good GT2 race at SPA. I joined at the start of the Qualy.
I had zero practice. I qualified P5/17 and had a relatively fun race. The race was 1hr long with near 200% tire wear and fuel consumption.
I made one mistake near the start and heavily damaged my car. Since I had zero practice, I estimated the fuel but that wasn't enough. I ran out of fuel on the last lap... I was P4, the car stopped literally 20m before the finishing line, ... So disappointing and frustrating.

However, at the start, I had a great double overtake that put me in P2 (before I binned and damaged my car):

I love VR but my headset is just not comfortable... The forehead pain at the end of the race was barely bearable...

I love VR but my headset is just not comfortable... The forehead pain at the end of the race was barely bearable...

That's unfortunate, I don't think I've ever heard complaints about forehead pain. My first two weeks I would get really woozy if I played for more than 20-30 minutes at a time. One time I pushed it a little too long and it took over 24 hours before I felt right again, I almost bailed on VR right then and there. But after a couple weeks that went away and now I can play for hours on end without any kind of mental or physical pain. We're all wired differently though and some people just can't overcome that initial woozy period.

Yeah for me it's not woozy or nausea or dizziness or anything like that. I'm super fine with that. It's just the Samsung Odyssey plus design. They tried to copy the PSVR design (which is awesome and is very comfortable), but for some reason, it's just not comfortable at all. It's maybe too stiff. 15 to 20min feel fine, but after that, the pain starts. I already found an additional strap that goes on top of the head (to make most of the weight on top of the head and not the balancing between forehead and backhead). I just can't order it coz Paypal is not available in our country, and besides that, it doesn't deliver to here anyways ...
https://www.studioformcreative.com/product-page/odyssey-head-strap

Yeah for me it's not woozy or nausea or dizziness or anything like that. I'm super fine with that. It's just the Samsung Odyssey plus design. They tried to copy the PSVR design (which is awesome and is very comfortable), but for some reason, it's just not comfortable at all. It's maybe too stiff. 15 to 20min feel fine, but after that, the pain starts. I already found an additional strap that goes on top of the head (to make most of the weight on top of the head and not the balancing between forehead and backhead). I just can't order it coz Paypal is not available in our country, and besides that, it doesn't deliver to here anyways ...
https://www.studioformcreative.com/product-page/odyssey-head-strap

Ah, dang, that sucks man. Seems like a pretty simple thing for them to get right, wonder why they designed it that way. The Rift has a strap over the head and one around the back and both are really easy to adjust so I never have any comfort problems with it. But I could totally see how that could happen if it wasn't positioned and supported properly, not good and that would discourage me from wanting to use it.

hello guys did assetto corsa manage the function backwards or neutral I have a sequential shifter like that? thank you

téléchargement.jpg

Last edited:
salut les gars assetto avait un bouton inverse pour seq shifter comme ça? thxs
View attachment 861496
If you include at least a Google Translate of your question, then you increase your chances of getting help.

"hi guys assetto had a reverse button for seq shifter like that?"

I'm not sure what you mean here though. You can change what is upshift and downshift by just assigning those functions in the game.

Latest Posts

Back