Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter Paiky
  • 131,210 comments
Youve raised some good points however that have made me reconsider encryption as a reasonable practice.

As before and moving forwards, if anyone mentions encryption to me after I release something I will have to ignore you.
You are free to do whatever you want, is free world.

Anyway i'm still on my point of view: if your politics is to keep using encrypt stuff, from me you will never ever gain a single cent because if i pay for something, and something is not done properly (like ie for onboards cameras), i want to be able and free to edit them if i'm able to do it and don't to be forced to ask you please do it.

I support modders who do 100% scratch stuff and don't uses encryption even they can, and i support modders which, once i notice a problem are open to improve things, but as happened a lot of times (and this is why i always released my standalone updates instead send them to the modders) i don't have time to wait for a reply or see my config cut or removed because they prefer their work even not complete.

They are free to do whatever they want of course, but if my config is more complete, you should at least improve yours with all the features that are available and not leave them uncomplete because you prefer move forward on another project in order to gain other money or supporter.

Anyway i'm not talkin about you, is a general consideration about all modders who are using patreon or similar stuff and act in this way.

I'm not a fan of encryption too, but lots of scammers takes physics or assets from other guys which maybe have spent times and times on work, trying to make a car better than possible, and then it comes the other guy which it take the asset, put in his car, and sell it in his Patreon or whatever site you have in mind. I have some friends of mine which stopped making mods because of guys stealing cars assets, so now they are all private, and i can understand them.
perfect physics pasted on another car means crap results, so you should avoid in any case. Scammers should be avoided, so why wasting time? Just support scratch modders like RSS or VRC and support the modders who maybe copy but edit and try to improve stuff and leave in the bin the scammers... Is not that difficult.

I'm not a fan of encryption too, but lots of scammers takes physics or assets from other guys which maybe have spent times and times on work, trying to make a car better than possible, and then it comes the other guy which it take the asset, put in his car, and sell it in his Patreon or whatever site you have in mind. I have some friends of mine which stopped making mods because of guys stealing cars assets, so now they are all private, and i can understand them.
I suspect one of this friends could be the owner of several "most wanted" mods. I comprehend them, cause there's a lot of time and efforts spent on their job to let someone else randomly take profits of this work. But... I still in touch with open code game mentality, and I would like to be able to get all the specific mods I look for, when I realize they exist (paying if it's deserved, as I have spent money buying mods before I have known that they were presumible stolen), to get which I consider is the most remarcable difference between AC and other sims, the "impossible is nothing" thing.

Last edited:
shi
Tamiami Park v1.0
View attachment 1247699
A temporary street circuit in Tamiami Park a small outdoor sports facility in the nearby suburb of University Park. (Florida, USA) (Wikipedia)
Conversion from rFactor.

-CSP recommended
-36 pit/start
-AI, cam

Credits & Thanks;
rFactor Original Track by AR rFactor Tracks
-Thank you for giving me permission.

AC Converted by @shi (shin956)
logo.png and sections.ini by @Fanapryde
.lua and font by @gunnar333
marshall, cameraman and some textures by kunos
Test and Feedback by @Breathe , @slider666

Download (mediafire)

Enjoy.
Converted upon request by Patreon member Gavin Stewart.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
v1.01 changelog;
-Fixed an issue where cut penalties were being detected in the final corner.
-Renamed the font.
-Updated ai_hints.ini
(Thanks for the report, Manstein1111 and FFF789.)
-Updated ext_config.ini.
(Thanks for the report, slider666.)
-Added cam by DaBaeda.

Tamiami Park v1.01
The link is in the quote.

v1.01 changelog;
-Fixed an issue where cut penalties were being detected in the final corner.
-Renamed the font.
-Updated ai_hints.ini
(Thanks for the report, Manstein1111 and FFF789.)
-Updated ext_config.ini.
(Thanks for the report, @slider666 .)
-Added cam by @DaBaeda .

You are free to do whatever you want, is free world.

Anyway i'm still on my point of view: if your politics is to keep using encrypt stuff, from me you will never ever gain a single cent because if i pay for something, and something is not done properly (like ie for onboards cameras), i want to be able and free to edit them if i'm able to do it and don't to be forced to ask you please do it.

I support modders who do 100% scratch stuff and don't uses encryption even they can, and i support modders which, once i notice a problem are open to improve things, but as happened a lot of times (and this is why i always released my standalone updates instead send them to the modders) i don't have time to wait for a reply or see my config cut or removed because they prefer their work even not complete.

They are free to do whatever they want of course, but if my config is more complete, you should at least improve yours with all the features that are available and not leave them uncomplete because you prefer move forward on another project in order to gain other money or supporter.

Anyway i'm not talkin about you, is a general consideration about all modders who are using patreon or similar stuff and act in this way.
Again a few valid points but bringing money into the equation is a whole different subject.

I dont see why people get so fixated on money.

Also I think its somewhat hypocritical in that when your config or w.e was copied you went one step further than encryption and decided to stop publicly releasing altogether. Thats a defeatist attitude.

I have a clear policy in regards to my mods.

1. If its a straight convert from another game with no improvements - public release for free unencrypted
  2. If its a model I paid for - Patreon exclusive
  3. If its a mod I spent a **** load of time improving and adding bits - Patreon Encrypted.
Seems fair to me.

Last edited:
Same as when i went into Tommy 78's sierra RS500 mod recently to take some bits for my RS500 PCars conversion.....
Guess what...... Tommy's is PCars RS500.
OK so he did some stuff to it, but he claims scratch made I believe and charges money.
Your post triggered a vague memory from many years ago where I think it was proven that a commercial games developer took an amateur modder's scratch built car (or parts of it, at least) and put it in their own game, without permission. Codemasters maybe?
Can't remember the details.
Maybe I dreamt it.

Again a few valid points but bringing money into the equation is a whole different subject.

I dont see why people get so fixated on money.

Also I think its somewhat hypocritical in that when your config or w.e was copied you went one step further than encryption and decided to stop publicly releasing altogether. Thats a defeatist attitude.

I have a clear policy in regards to my mods.

1. If its a straight convert from another game with no improvements - public release for free unencrypted
  2. If its a model I paid for - Patreon exclusive
  3. If its a mod I spent a **** load of time improving and adding bits - Patreon Encrypted.
Seems fair to me.
Money in modding are not important for me, if they was i would have opened a patreon and never ever invested my time (TONS OF HOURS in the latest 2-3 years) every weekend working on tracks to update them, 1000% for free.

If i would have focused on money i would have opened a patreon and asked the subscriber to tell me which track they want to see updated.

I stopped releasing stuff not for money or else, just becase i don't have time and interest to fight with stressed modders who discharge their real life frustration on a person who, for free, try to improve their stuff helping them and being accused to stole and make money via sharedmods. As said i keep doing with trusted people like @pugsang, @racinjoe013 which are the most common recurrent people which i work with in the latest period.

As said i was not talkin about you, but you are free to do whatever you want but again: If you don't do onboards camera as they should i want to be able to edit them without being forced to ask you (some modders even not respond on request even for pay mods).

The other reason modders encrypt is to hide stuff.
Just looked at the Bentley GT3 car and it has "copyright of untied racing design" in the tyres ini and i'd guess there is much more that is URD physics that the modder then encrypted.
To hide, rather than claim i'd guess.
90 percent of AC users won't go all detective like a modder can.
Same as when i went into Tommy 78's sierra RS500 mod recently to take some bits for my RS500 PCars conversion.....
Guess what...... Tommy's is PCars RS500.
OK so he did some stuff to it, but he claims scratch made I believe and charges money.

There is a lot of stuff that people like to hide, same way as there is a way around stopping CM analyse tool recognising you took kunos cars physics just by changing a few spellings in the data files.

Data file encryption is so dumb because you just open the data file, copy and paste to another data folder make a totally new car folder and data isn't now encrypted.

If i can be bothered i am going to do a Bentley GT3 car and use the same data as that encrypted one to prove a point.
Not sure i have the energy as its such a run of the mill sim car and i could use my time to do something interesting.
Re : the Tommy bit : when I was making a RUF BTR mod I used the CTR FM4 model for the spare parts and the CTR Kunos model as a base and guess what ? The Forza parts were dead-on perfect for the Kunos CTR. Now I'm not saying Kunos have nicked T10's model but... Might be a coincidence? If it's the PC model sold for 5€ or whatever the cost is then it's ****** no doubt.

Renault Sport Clio V6 Phase I Release!!

Download: https://www.patreon.com/posts/renault-sport-v6-78458666

Converted From Gran Turismo 6 By Peter Crill,3D help By Norms
-AO inside and out
-Realistic Dashboard
-CSP Settings
-Physics by Jandrovi physics
-Driver Animation by Mascot
-Working Wipers
-Self Ligth
-Paint colors and pbr by walkinginmyshoes87
-Panoramic session Start config Daniel Nogal
-Beta testing and help ,@norms,@takum1,@Mascot,and others

View attachment 1247815View attachment 1247816View attachment 1247817View attachment 1247818View attachment 1247819View attachment 1247820View attachment 1247821View attachment 1247822View attachment 1247823
Good old memories from Gran Turismo 2.
Camtool for Broadford Speedway
Enjoy!

Which one is this pp filter?

Your post triggered a vague memory from many years ago where I think it was proven that a commercial games developer took an amateur modder's scratch built car (or parts of it, at least) and put it in their own game, without permission. Codemasters maybe?
Maybe I dreamt it.
Yep codemasters, irony being they had the license so could do what they wanted with the model.
Because even a scratch built car without a license is actually in its extremes if anyone bothered, not allowed.
Hence all the stupid RSS and VRC names, which even then just them taking the same shapes and adding different names isn't actually meant to be allowed.

Its messy.

Yep codemasters, irony being they had the license so could do what they wanted with the model.
Because even a scratch built car without a license is actually in its extremes if anyone bothered, not allowed.
Hence all the stupid RSS and VRC names, which even then just them taking the same shapes and adding different names isn't actually meant to be allowed.

Its messy.

Aye, legals are on a scale of greys rather than black or white. Basically, are you trying to make money from someone else's copyright.

I've no doubt that if an OEM came at VRC or RSS about the ones which are clear copies of a car (ie: not a generic car based on a ruleset) they'd have a case heard.

Fortunately it's not worth it and they do enough that it would take a case (and some bad publicity) to enact. If the future of sims includes officially integrated 'marketplaces' though, I suspect this will come back again because in that instance changing the name and badge won't be sufficient.

I'm sorry to interrupt this (fair and old) debate on encryption but can you point me to the best visual version of Long Beach... I've taken a look on the Breathe list but I can't understand how does it work proper 😅. Also, he reported a version from a dude called "fn" which is maybe the most recent one but there isn't a download link...

Its messy.
In the very vast majority of countries in the world it is not meant to be allowed, but it is not prejudiceable (don't know if it's the right word... I'm no brit, damnit). Basically it's a very common way of avoiding licensing, you can either represent the name, the model, or the company that owns it, but not all of it at the same time, because in that case you make a "link" between the company and their property, therefore their image. You cannot be considere at fault by representing something that belongs to a company, even at a near-perfect copy, if you apply no other links to be made to that company. For car models, it's nearly comical : Porsche can't legally attack you for making a near-perfect 911, if it's nowhere said to be a Porsche. Lets say you call it a Mousche 822, with a proper own logo and badge : you got the model, but not the name nor the company. No link applicable. You didn't "specifically" looked to make a Porsche 911. It's a serious nightmare to judge on a legal point of view, so most of the time they let it go through (be aware of Ferrari tho, they went on court for less). On the other hand, you can spend how much time you want on a scratch-made car model, if it's clear as water that it IS a Porsche 911 with the Porsche badge, free or not, you're on a fragile soil. And if you ask money for it, you need a selling licence (depending on the country), a copyright licence (you probably don't have it considering the price), and a fair amount of paperwork (good news the digital world is still quite uncontroled, am I right?).

But yeah, the funny part is when a modder is defending himself because of the "SO MANY HOURS" he worked on his thing. I mean... Thanks and all, no doubt about that, but... Never forget your situation.
"Officer, I should have the right to sell my drugs, it took me so many hours to make it" - well, that doesn't change much of it, ya know. do you have a permit to sell it ? No ? YOU DON'T SAY

Maybe I dreamt it.
The Kunos NA Miata was originally a mod iirc.

Its messy.
I always think it's a daft waste of time when RSS and VRC do a whole host of fake-name lookalike liveries for their fake-name lookalike cars when the first thing everyone does is download real liveries from RD. They might as well just release a white car with a template and save many hours of redundant work.

In the very vast majority of countries in the world it is not meant to be allowed, but it is not prejudiceable (don't know if it's the right word... I'm no brit, damnit). Basically it's a very common way of avoiding licensing, you can either represent the name, the model, or the company that owns it, but not all of it at the same time, because in that case you make a "link" between the company and their property, therefore their image. You cannot be considere at fault by representing something that belongs to a company, even at a near-perfect copy, if you apply no other links to be made to that company. For car models, it's nearly comical : Porsche can't legally attack you for making a near-perfect 911, if it's nowhere said to be a Porsche. Lets say you call it a Mousche 822, with a proper own logo and badge : you got the model, but not the name nor the company. No link applicable. You didn't "specifically" looked to make a Porsche 911. It's a serious nightmare to judge on a legal point of view, so most of the time they let it go through (be aware of Ferrari tho, they went on court for less). On the other hand, you can spend how much time you want on a scratch-made car model, if it's clear as water that it IS a Porsche 911 with the Porsche badge, free or not, you're on a fragile soil. And if you ask money for it, you need a selling licence (depending on the country), a copyright licence (you probably don't have it considering the price), and a fair amount of paperwork (good news the digital world is still quite uncontroled, am I right?).

But yeah, the funny part is when a modder is defending himself because of the "SO MANY HOURS" he worked on his thing. I mean... Thanks and all, no doubt about that, but... Never forget your situation.
"Officer, I should have the right to sell my drugs, it took me so many hours to make it" - well, that doesn't change much of it, ya know. do you have a permit to sell it ? No ? YOU DON'T SAY
Yep interesting read, good English, well better than my French, Mange tout Rodders, Mange tout. (sorry only fools and horses gag, very British).

Lets not forget all the crud with Reiza back in the day which nearly ended them regards F1 who are very very strict so not sure how RSS get away with it really.
And SMS with PCars 1 got in a bit of strife with certain tracks and cars.
And of course the legend of that Porsche license of EA which kept Porsche out of sims and games for years, all because of one very poor PS1 game.

I'm sorry to interrupt this (fair and old) debate on encryption but can you point me to the best visual version of Long Beach... I've taken a look on the Breathe list but I can't understand how does it work proper 😅. Also, he reported a version from a dude called "fn" which is maybe the most recent one but there isn't a download link...
there's not a proper-finished version of Long Beach. All of them have issue or are unfinished. I was working on it, then i stopped

Terra21 + NRMS version which as far as i know is the latest one (the one i was working on if i'm not wrong)
(sorry to bother you) which one is among these two?
Screenshot (288).png

EDIT: maybe this is the latest update: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/assetto-corsa-pc-mods-general-discussion.307899/post-13926218

Last edited:

Terrible analogy. One is something that ruins lives and causes a life changing addiciton the other is drugs.

But probably bought and paid for through official channels? I think Codemasters tried to pass a modder's work off as their own with no permission obtained.
Like i said there was more to it as codemasters didn't need permission as they owned the license.
Not so much passing it off as there own as a multimillion pound developer has plenty of in house guys and have the resources to get models done.
I guess they saw a model and just took it as the modder had no official rights to complain.
It may of been an old fashioned FU.
Thing about encryption is that i guess the worst part of all of this is people being able to obtain pay mods, encryption doesn't stop that.
If i were a modder trying to sell stuff I'd be far more concerned about that than someone working out your encrypted data file is actually a URD GT3 car or the nice Sierra DTM car you scratch made is actually from PCars.

But again i fall into the bubble trap myself, i assume that because i see pay mods going for free on massive spread sheets, that everyone is getting them, but clearly they aren't.

I have a question, that's related to encryption. Maybe someone can help me. I normally make a copy of each GT3 car and try to BOP it with the other GT3 cars I use, by just increasing/reducing the weight of the car in the car.ini by up to +- 30 kg. So far this worked very well and I have a well balanced GT3 field. But the Audi R8 LMS Evo by "Barrikad Krew Studio", that most skins are made for, is serveral seconds slower than the rest of my GT3 cars. I can't make a BOPed version of this car as it has an encrypted data.acd because the modders have used data from a real life Audi R8 team. I know, that I can add ballast and restrictor to the other GT3 cars in CM, but this isn't really a practical solution for me. Is there any other way to make only the Audi R8 a little bit faster?

I have a question, that's related to encryption. Maybe someone can help me. I normally make a copy of each GT3 car and try to BOP it with the other GT3 cars I use, by just increasing/reducing the weight of the car in the car.ini by up to +- 30 kg. So far this worked very well and I have a well balanced GT3 field. But the Audi R8 LMS Evo by "Barrikad Krew Studio", that most skins are made for, is serveral seconds slower than the rest of my GT3 cars. I can't make a BOPed version of this car as it has an encrypted data.acd because the modders have used data from a real life Audi R8 team. I know, that I can add ballast and restrictor to the other GT3 cars in CM, but this isn't really a practical solution for me. Is there any other way to make only the Audi R8 a little bit faster?
If you can unpack the data, you can change the car's weight in car.ini and keep the data.acd as a backup (like data_backup.acd). It should then take the info from the data folder and not the packed data. Just don't try to pack the data.

Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back