Aston Martin & Red Bull Racing to build Valkyrie hypercar, due in 2019

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 305 comments
You say that like there's loads of them. Why do they bother you so much anyway?
They're ridiculous toys intended solely for those with nothing better to do than spend money and show off the fact that they spent money. I'd be more accepting of them if there were some sort of trickle-down effect like that of flagship über-sedans, but there's nothing to trickle down. Hell, I was even accepting of Koenigsegg early on because I appreciated the 'man with a dream come to fruition' aspect of it, but now they're just like any other.

And there indeed are loads of them as far as I can tell.

They're ridiculous toys intended solely for those with nothing better to do than spend money and show off the fact that they spent money. I'd be more accepting of them if there were some sort of trickle-down effect like that of flagship über-sedans, but there's nothing to trickle down.

While true, that's only one way of seeing them (which I say tends to easily paint an only negative view on them). Everyone knows Hyper cars are ridiculous and impractical. Horacio Pagani summed up them up perfectly: You don't buy these with rationale or logic, you buy them with your heart.

Not unless a swift kick between the legs constitutes a heart attack. ;)

That's why you don't piss people off, dum dum :P

Point is though that Hyper cars are aspirational, poster room wall material. You don't think about how you're affecting the environment, how much of the technology trickles down to other cars.

They're ridiculous toys intended solely for those with nothing better to do than spend money and show off the fact that they spent money.

You're describing any car that the average person cannot afford here.

And there indeed are loads of them as far as I can tell.

More than normal cars?

You're describing any car that the average person cannot afford here.
In that selected statement, sure, but in the sentence immediately following I speak of another type of vehicle that the average person can't afford--a type that I don't have anything against. There are plenty of vehicles that the average person can't afford (even if you leave out the poverty-stricken), and plenty of those aren't nearly as ridiculous as even the not-so-hyper sort--heck, plenty of them are downright mundane to the uninitiated. But hey, way to tailor a quote to suit your needs--very politic.
More than normal cars?
Really? Really? Now you're intentionally being stupid...

:rolleyes:

No, there aren't more hypercars than normal cars. There aren't more hypercars than normal cars because normal cars are normal.

No, there aren't more hypercars than normal cars. There aren't more hypercars than normal cars because normal cars are normal.
Then what is the problem? Simply ignore the single category of car that grinds your gears and enjoy the rest, that was my point.

Then what is the problem? Simply ignore the single category of car that grinds your gears and enjoy the rest, that was my point.
My initial post wasn't all that intense. My opinion is that this class of vehicle is completely pointless and I remarked to that effect in the appropriate thread.

My initial post wasn't all that intense. My opinion is that this class of vehicle is completely pointless and I remarked to that effect in the appropriate thread.
I know. I just questioned your opinion and now we are here.

I do understand your stance, they are highly expensive yet impractical items. Like @RACECAR pointed out earlier you buy them with your heart, not your head. And only then if you're loaded.

I do understand your stance, they are highly expensive yet impractical items. Like @RACECAR pointed out earlier you buy them with your heart, not your head. And only then if you're loaded.

Well if you're aiming for the best carnage, then pack all the alcohol that you can manage to cram in the car :P

And I pointed out that the heart isn't what rests between a man's legs. :P

And from that came some life wisdom:

That's why you don't piss people off, dum dum :P
Also, wear a cup just in case.

Though it does leave me curious as to whether that's actually what you want to do to any man that buys these (In which case, good luck getting around the bodyguards they also can afford ;) )

But yeah, you buy these not because you need them, but because you want them. There's a lot of impractical things people get but again, rational was not a priority when they bought them.

Though it does leave me curious as to whether that's actually what you want to do to any man that buys these (In which case, good luck getting around the bodyguards they also can afford ;) )
Nothing like that at all. The implication is that you don't actually buy them with your heart, but rather something...else. ;)

Nothing like that at all. The implication is that you don't actually buy them with your heart, but rather something...else. ;)

:ill: Umm...I think there's a metaphor you might have taken too literally :lol:

Now if you're trying to buy stuff for this hot girl you hardly know, then you're automatically a suspect, young man ;)

Jalopnik
.According to a tip sent to Jalopnik by an individual who attended an owner’s track day for the new Aston Martin Vulcan at Road Atlanta last week, a company executive showed off a design book of images and details about the new Newey-designed car, known publicly as AM-RB 001, to owners in attendance.

As with any car rumors, take these with a grain of salt, but our tipster swears by them.

• Our source says the car, code-named “Nebula,” will be powered by a naturally aspirated 7.0-liter V12 with around 1,000 horsepower revving to almost 10,000 RPM. Meanwhile the new DB11 sports an all-new Aston Martin 5.0 liter V12 claimed to be good for around 600 hp. That sounds like a good starting point for “Nebula.”
  • The new hypercar is said to weigh around 2,300 pounds with a body designed with “a massive amount of negative space” and no wings or spoilers. I wonder if that means it will be able to slip under the toll booth boom barrier?
  • The underside of the car was described as featuring F1-inspired “venturi channels” flowing to an “upside-down jigsaw wing” that pulls the car down with air flowing in through a recognizable Aston Martin designed mouth. Again, all without the help of any tails or fins up top, because downforce is good and it’s cooler if you can’t see how it’s happening.
  • Our tipster described a surprisingly large interior with tandem seating with the driver and passenger “as close as they can get” (that doesn’t sound very large) and slightly angled in a v-shape with the point at the feet.
  • The rest of the car was said to feature typical Aston Martin design cues with side-exit exhaust leading the very edge of the back of the car, which was presented in British Racing Green. The best, most important green and fitting for what we’re working with.
  • Our tipster compared the car to the Caparo T1, another F1-inspired design featuring a lot of negative space, except with most of the aero-work filling more of the the underside of the body.

Apparently the owners at the Road Atlanta event where the upcoming car was briefly displayed were being encouraged to buy the Vulcan and other Aston models to secure themselves one of reportedly 99 models of the AM-RB 001 to be produced for sale. If Ferrari has taught us anything, it’s that you have to buy three cars at full price to get to the one you really want.

Aston Martin confirmed to Jalopnik that the owner’s drive with the Vulcan did take place at Road Atlanta but declined to comment on the details provided by our tipster.
Jalopnik

I wonder if it'll also have the Red Bull F1 hybrid system if the V12 sounds like it's basically been nicked straight from the Vulcan with a few tweaks.

Last edited:
YES! None of this turbo ****, thank you Aston! :D Now if only the new DB11 was NA...
To me there is nothing wrong with turbos, but I do share your excitement for it being naturally aspirated because it is bringing to mind the speed 12 :D

Back