Aussie Sony Experience GT5 demo

  • Thread starter Thread starter CoolColJ
  • 66 comments
  • 8,921 views
very cool, but it looks like only vids will be shown in 3d, no ps3 or gt5 mentioned. will be interesting, garden city is only 15mins down the road.
 
very cool, but it looks like only vids will be shown in 3d, no ps3 or gt5 mentioned. will be interesting, garden city is only 15mins down the road.

Trust me GT5 is there :)
 
Well the Sony 3D Experience tour hits my local Westfields today. So I might go in this morning to check it out. This will probably be my only chance to sample GT5 in 3D

I also saw a Sony 3D Experience ad on TV yesterday, showed a little bit of GT5 footage in it
 
I might drop by Chermside tonight...
 
Well the Sony 3D Experience tour hits my local Westfields today. So I might go in this morning to check it out. This will probably be my only chance to sample GT5 in 3D

I also saw a Sony 3D Experience ad on TV yesterday, showed a little bit of GT5 footage in it

Keep your eyes peeled for a Holden!
 
I may be an American, but I have mad love for Australasia. You're the most unrepresented part of the world in the Gran Turismo realm. I'd love to see more Australian influence in GT5. If anything interesting, I'd be interested in seeing maybe GT's debut of HSV. The real longshot would be if Bathurst somehow was sneaked into the GT5 track lineup. I'll be sure to see how this deal goes down in Australia.
 
Garden City on the 21st for me. Looks interesting.

@ JohnBM01 - Mt Panorama track at Bathurst has been on my GT wish list for years.
 
I would also like to see more tracks and cars from Australia. One track i would love to see in GT5 is Phillip Island. Watch V8SUPERCARS race there the other day.


ps. That would be on the tv.:sly:
 
I'm not into aussie cars, but I would be more than happy if Holden Ute was in GT5 :dopey:
 
Well I will try make the run up to Chermside just to see this... but are you 100% sure there will be GT5 demo on display? My local one is Garden City, but I'll head to Chermside just to check this out :D
 
I may be an American, but I have mad love for Australasia. You're the most unrepresented part of the world in the Gran Turismo realm. I'd love to see more Australian influence in GT5. If anything interesting, I'd be interested in seeing maybe GT's debut of HSV. The real longshot would be if Bathurst somehow was sneaked into the GT5 track lineup. I'll be sure to see how this deal goes down in Australia.

I remember reading somewhere along time ago(it might have been here on GTP) that a few yrs ago Kaz and a small team made a quick trip out to bathurst with some FPV GT`s taking a lot of pics and generally checking out the track and the car. They might have been doing it for their own personal reasons given the tracks history and layout/views. But it would be nice if it was included it GT5 and also Phillip Island,now thats a track!
 
Just got back from Westfields, Chatswoood.

It took forever to find, but it's on level 4 next to the info desk. I was expecting a massive display, but it's only a small TV booth unit with a 46 inch TV + Blu Ray player, and a PS3 hooked up to another TV with DS3 running GT5 in 3D

Anyway - as far as 3D goes, good for some TV/Film, crappy for games. So not worth getting a 3D TV for it IMO.
Some of the Blue Ray footage look great, but it feels like a those pop up books, you can see and feel the depth between objects, but the objects still look flat, like cardboard cutouts. Kinda like parallax scrolling.
The Blu Ray footage of Motor Storm had a good feel of depth, but was pretty flickery.

GT5 in 3D looks quite blurry, and the 3D effect is non-existent to me compared to Motor storm and the other Blu Ray footage....
But it definitely runs at 60fps

Now onto GT5 game play/physics -

I can't get a good feel with the DS3, feels empty, it doesn't even vibrate, will have to wait till I try it with a DFGT wheel, but it's way different to Prologue, and different again to the Time Trial with a pad.

It feels more connected to the road than in Prologue, where you felt more like on skates. While it doesn't feel as twitchy as the Time Trial.
In the Time Trial, you had to use super smooth steering and throttle on the pad, but here it feels more smoothed out and easier to handle. I don't think it does 1:1 steering to wheel movement anymore like it was in the Time Trial. There is probbaly some speed sensitive steering limiting now.
The tyre model is different too, it's much more progressive, but can still snap if your not careful or over correct

I had 3 goes, all in Pro mode, Pro Physics, no traction control, everything off etc. TV was pretty loud so I could hear the sounds clearly.

1) Motul Autech GT-R on the Tokyo track, R1 tyres. Had a pretty big over steer moment on turn 1, but after that I managed to get around the track ok. It felt pretty planted with all the down force and grip. AI blew me away off course :)

2) Time Trial - Nascar on the Madrid track with R1. This thing is hard to control, It doesn't like to turn, and the smallest wiff of the throttle smokes up the rear tyres! Pretty loud transmission whine, so this is probably the E3 build
The low revs off idle of this is really loud and rumbley. It takes ages for the car to get moving (or stop) if you lose control and have to start up again from a dead stop

3) AMG SLS on Rome - with Traction control on 1, on S3 tyres. It's quite progressive on these tyres. You can drift it quite predictably with practise.

Graphics wise, in 3D it looks like Prologue I guess. When I switched to outside view and slide sideways the smoke looked excellent, really dense.
Pro physics is no fun on a pad, relatively speaking but easier to handle than in the Time Trial with a pad. I don't think you'd be competitive with a pad in pro physics against a wheel user anymore.
 
Just got back from Westfields, Chatswoood.

It took forever to find, but it's on level 4 next to the info desk. I was expecting a massive display, but it's only a small TV booth unit with a 46 inch TV + Blu Ray player, and a PS3 hooked up to another TV with DS3 running GT5 in 3D

Anyway - as far as 3D goes, good for some TV/Film, crappy for games. So not worth getting a 3D TV for it IMO.
Some of the Blue Ray footage look great, but it feels like a those pop up books, you can see and feel the depth between objects, but the objects still look flat, like cardboard cutouts. Kinda like parallax scrolling.
The Blu Ray footage of Motor Storm had a good feel of depth, but was pretty flickery.

GT5 in 3D looks quite blurry, and the 3D effect is non-existent to me compared to Motor storm and the other Blu Ray footage....
But it definitely runs at 60fps

Now onto GT5 game play/physics -

I can't get a good feel with the DS3, feels empty, it doesn't even vibrate, will have to wait till I try it with a DFGT wheel, but it's way different to Prologue, and different again to the Time Trial with a pad.

It feels more connected to the road than in Prologue, where you felt more like on skates. While it doesn't feel as twitchy as the Time Trial.
In the Time Trial, you had to use super smooth steering and throttle on the pad, but here it feels more smoothed out and easier to handle. I don't think it does 1:1 steering to wheel movement anymore like it was in the Time Trial. There is probbaly some speed sensitive steering limiting now.
The tyre model is different too, it's much more progressive, but can still snap if your not careful or over correct

I had 3 goes, all in Pro mode, Pro Physics, no traction control, everything off etc. TV was pretty loud so I could hear the sounds clearly.

1) Motul Autech GT-R on the Tokyo track, R1 tyres. Had a pretty big over steer moment on turn 1, but after that I managed to get around the track ok. It felt pretty planted with all the down force and grip. AI blew me away off course :)

2) Time Trial - Nascar on the Madrid track with R1. This thing is hard to control, It doesn't like to turn, and the smallest wiff of the throttle smokes up the rear tyres! Pretty loud transmission whine, so this is probably the E3 build
The low revs off idle of this is really loud and rumbley. It takes ages for the car to get moving (or stop) if you lose control and have to start up again from a dead stop

3) AMG SLS on Rome - with Traction control on 1, on S3 tyres. It's quite progressive on these tyres. You can drift it quite predictably with practise.

Graphics wise, in 3D it looks like Prologue I guess. When I switched to outside view and slide sideways the smoke looked excellent, really dense.
Pro physics is no fun on a pad, relatively speaking but easier to handle than in the Time Trial with a pad. I don't think you'd be competitive with a pad in pro physics against a wheel user anymore.

Could not agree with you more except with the controller analyst. The only problem I had with the controller was the throttle was X and the brake was Square, its really hard to be smooth with the brake and throttle input. I am use to the R2 and L2 being my throttle and brake button. Everything else you said i agree with i think the cockpit view is super improved over GT5P the sense of speed and the cockpit vibration is amazing!

My impression So I went to Game Stop with my friend to get NBA 2K11. I was talking to the employee about GT5 and ask if they where going to open at 12am he said yes that they had enough pre orders already. Out of nowhere he asked me if I wanted to play GT5 demo, I said HELL YEA! Let me tell you die hard GT fans something this game is the truth! With only a few cars to select from I could of played this game till they closed. The physics alone will keep you on this game for ever. You can actually use a controller on pro physics and have a blast unlike the TT demo which was very hard with a controller. I played every track and with every car My favorite was the Motul Autech GT-R. The driving experience was the best ever in the GT5 demo. The cockpit shakes so much now compared to GT5P, and you notice the elevation changes through out the race. If you have any question please feel free to ask me anything. I will be playing this Demo everyday, for the fact of Game Stop is 3 min away from my house. Cant wait for GT5 man
 
Hrmm I might just tough it out until november 4. I don't want my GT5 virginity popped by a DS3 setup.


Just a question CoolColJ, did the setup look rushed and unplanned or did it look like PD was coming here all along?
 
Could not agree with you more except with the controller analyst. The only problem I had with the controller was the throttle was X and the brake was Square, its really hard to be smooth with the brake and throttle input. I am use to the R2 and L2 being my throttle and brake button. Everything else you said i agree with i think the cockpit view is super improved over GT5P the sense of speed and the cockpit vibration is amazing!

My impression So I went to Game Stop with my friend to get NBA 2K11. I was talking to the employee about GT5 and ask if they where going to open at 12am he said yes that they had enough pre orders already. Out of nowhere he asked me if I wanted to play GT5 demo, I said HELL YEA! Let me tell you die hard GT fans something this game is the truth! With only a few cars to select from I could of played this game till they closed. The physics alone will keep you on this game for ever. You can actually use a controller on pro physics and have a blast unlike the TT demo which was very hard with a controller. I played every track and with every car My favorite was the Motul Autech GT-R. The driving experience was the best ever in the GT5 demo. The cockpit shakes so much now compared to GT5P, and you notice the elevation changes through out the race. If you have any question please feel free to ask me anything. I will be playing this Demo everyday, for the fact of Game Stop is 3 min away from my house. Cant wait for GT5 man

I used the right stick for throttle/brake - forward/back, as I've always had in GT games, seems to be the default setup :)
The gear up/down change was mapped to the bottom larger shoulder bottons which caught me out.

Just a question CoolColJ, did the setup look rushed and unplanned or did it look like PD was coming here all along?

Looks more like a Sony thing, rather than a PD exercise. Pretty low key, but it's all legit and properly setup
There were also bits of Sony 3D/GT5 showing on the shopping centre's large video screen. They are certainly pushing it a bit

Kinda wished I had stayed longer and tried more car/tyre combos
 
I used the right stick for throttle/brake - forward/back, as I've always had in GT games, seems to be the default setup :)
The gear up/down change was mapped to the bottom larger shoulder bottons which caught me out.

Damn i suck at using that :lol: But everything you said is 100% true it felt so connected to the road. Only on the Autech GTR and the Nascar I used R2. The NUR Ring is serious though, so damn bumpy the cockpit is constantly shaking.
 
It's 6pm in Australia so bumping this from the bottom so it won't get missed for prime time views.
 
I might go again tomorrow morning for another go, and better look at the different tracks and cars. Need to try Nascar on Indy and some cars on Nurburgring GP (if it's in the demo). I don't know the tracks all that well, apart from R246 (which I hate), but Nurburgring GP I know well from GTR Evolution.

So I can test out the AI better. They seemed pretty fast on the Tokyo track. You won't beat em if you don't know the track and take every corner near the limit on pro mode
And I didn't get hit by the AI at any time.
 
I swear I saw one like that already in Chadstone shopping Center, Victoria, I didn't really take a closer look, I was in a rush... It was Samsung I think, can't remember.
 
My best to go to would be Garden City, but at only a week or 2 before GT5 releases anyway, I don't see the point in going.:p So there were no new cars or tracks in these demos obviously?
 
1 thing I noticed, that I forgot to menition

When I used the cockpit view on the SLS, I saw less of the cockpit than in past videos of it. The view pretty much cuts off below the 2 big dials. I don't know if this is just a 3D version thing or maybe that's how the new cockpit view is. I didn't feel like I was driving in a letter box compared to in the Time Trial. Then again the TV is a lot bigger than the 21 inch CRT monitor I use at home :)

And yes, no new cars or tracks
 
Looks like South Australia misses out. What a supprise :rolleyes:...
 
Looks like South Australia misses out. What a supprise :rolleyes:...

Yeah I know hey.. we miss out on just about everything. But you've forgotten.. South Australia is the forgotten state. It's all for the eastern states. That said however, only just over 3 weeks til the release there's no point in there being a public demo or anything now.
 
Pro physics is no fun on a pad, relatively speaking but easier to handle than in the Time Trial with a pad. I don't think you'd be competitive with a pad in pro physics against a wheel user anymore.
Thanks for the feedback fella.

Regarding the pad...I'm surprisingly competitive using the D-Pad and face buttons on F1 2010 but I did think this control scheme was pretty useless in the GT Time Trial. So, with that in mind, do you think I'll be able to adapt easily with GT5?
 
Thanks for the feedback fella.

Regarding the pad...I'm surprisingly competitive using the D-Pad and face buttons on F1 2010 but I did think this control scheme was pretty useless in the GT Time Trial. So, with that in mind, do you think I'll be able to adapt easily with GT5?

You definitely need smooth control and good throttle increments with Pro Physics. Yes you can still drive around fine, but to drive fast and consistent, I don't think so. YMMV :)
 
You definitely need smooth control and good throttle increments with Pro Physics. Yes you can still drive around fine, but to drive fast and consistent, I don't think so. YMMV :)
Yep...that's why I was delightfully surprised about my performance in F1 2010 using the D-Pad and face buttons because I am fast and consistent. I mean if any car needed moderated throttle and steering response it would be the F1 cars, right, but somehow I'm really good at it.

Compared to Prologue It was a lot harder in the GT Time Trial but from what you originally said it seems like they have toned it down somewhat so I think I've got a good chance of getting the hang of it...but then again I always change the sensitivity settings (NOTE: no assists) and practice for hours to get the best out of a pad.
 
Back