Aussie Sony Experience GT5 demo

  • Thread starter Thread starter CoolColJ
  • 66 comments
  • 8,971 views
F1 2010 has pretty simple physics though, and F1 cars are easy to drive under 90%, high grip and high downforce and super brakes
The fact you have pauses inbetween throttle presses helps you here

I tried driving The Ferrari Virtual Academy F1 thing with a pad, using the analog sticks, and it's impossible :)
And this game has by far the best open wheeler physics model and Force Feedback - same guy behind Netkar Pro
It actually felt scary the first time I drove in it with a wheel...
 
I don't know how I missed all the ones close to my house.

I would have sucked anyway, I can't drive for my life with the controller.

Well, at least it is not long to wait until the game atually launches.

(Sorry CoolColJ: I am not trying to highjack the thread, but I thought this would be notable here, due to the aussie factor)
Since everyone is probably from AUS around this thread, I will post the link to my previous post, that by now is lost in the forums due to lack of activity.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=131049

(I know you've seen it Anes)
 
^ I posted a link to the Aussies OC forums for ya :)

---

I went back for another go on the Demo this morning.

I poked around the menus a bit more, and everything is locked apart from a cut down arcade mode. This demo is different from the others on the net.
There is no Indy Speedway in it - only Rome, Madrid, Tokyo, Nurburgring Nordschleife, and the Toscana rally track

There is the nice smoke, grass/dirt debris, but no skid marks. Also some damage, the rear bumper of the Ferrari 458 was hanging loose after a few "gentle" taps. I didn't try to ram the car to see if there was more than that though :)

All the races I did today were in Intermediate mode, with Pro physics. Ai is slower in this mode. I could be wrong, but Pro physics in Intermediate feels different to Pro physics in Pro mode... I wasn't getting the sudden snap power oversteer I had yesterday in pro mode.
Mostly S3 tyres today with or without traction control at 1 (out of 10)

It felt even more solid and connected to road than yesterday.
The first race I did was with whatever the demonstrator was using, Enzo, auto, traction control etc, on the Ring, and the Enzo is a handful even then. The rear end of this car is quite loose whenever you brake or coast into a turn, it wants to swap ends. And I spun in a blink of an eye when I rode the curbs with power on.

The grass is pretty slippery on the ring.

458 on Rome. Noticed the rear bumper hanging loose as I mentioned above.
Seemed pretty stable compared to the SLS and Enzo. I didn't have too many power oversteer moments. SLS on the same track = drift machine in comparison

SLS on the ring. Much easier to drive than the Enzo here. But once you get on the grass, you'll be sliding for a good while. Probably a tad too slippery.

Did 1 race in the Citroen Rally car on that Toscana gravel track, and it felt good! It's not as slippery like everyone says, it actually "felt" like gravel with a control pad. There was a definite gravel "texture" to it, but if you went onto the dirt sections on the side then it become more slippery. I pretty much feathered the throttle between 2nd and 3rd most of the time and it felt more or less like Richards Burns rally or something.
I guess if you try to drive like on a tarmac road, then it might be slippery...
When it gets dark it's really hard to see though :)

The Rally car sounded pretty good, as a turbo'ed inline 4 would sound, kinda boomy type note. The other street cars thin out a lot in cockpit view like in those Epsilon vids.
 
Last edited:
^ I posted a link to the Aussies OC forums for ya :)
Where?, I don't understand... whatever you did, thanks!!
EDIT: Figured it out and thanks even more now.

Did 1 race in the Citroen Rally car on that Toscana gravel track, and it felt good! It's not as slippery like everyone says, it actually "felt" like gravel with a control pad. There was a definite gravel "texture" to it, but if you went onto the dirt sections on the side then it become more slippery. I pretty much feathered the throttle between 2nd and 3rd most of the time and it felt more or less like Richards Burns rally or something.
I guess if you try to drive like on a tarmac road, then it might be slippery...
When it gets dark it's really hard to see though :)

The Rally car sounded pretty good, as a turbo'ed inline 4 would sound, kinda boomy type note. The other street cars thin out a lot in cockpit view like in those Epsilon vids.

Thank God for this, after playing the WRC 2010 demo I thought my chances of some good WRC racing were over.
 
Last edited:
Never would I think I would be interested in Rally but boy was I wrong the rally in GT5 is so damn fun nothing like GT4 Cool J same thing with me 2nd and 3rd gear all day however the day to night transition is amazing i have seen nothing like it before GT5 is so damn good.
 
Oh yeah, I got the missing road glitch on the Ring in one race :)
It came back on the first corner, and then dissappeared again, and then came back after a while
 
I went in to Chermside, the GT5 Demo PS3 had to be sent back to Sony, so it's not there, they are hoping to get it back in time for Carindale, but weren't sure.

They didn't give any good reason...

I'm hoping the demo disk somehow fell out of the demo PS3 and will end up in someones home PS3 and they're going to upload a bunch more video's for the smiling followed by the enjoyment.
 
Oh snap, lucky I didn't go to Chermside today. I will wait it out for Carindale then.. and its closer so no big if I rock up and it isn't there.
 
I went in to Chermside, the GT5 Demo PS3 had to be sent back to Sony, so it's not there, they are hoping to get it back in time for Carindale, but weren't sure.

They didn't give any good reason...

I'm hoping the demo disk somehow fell out of the demo PS3 and will end up in someones home PS3 and they're going to upload a bunch more video's for the smiling followed by the enjoyment.

Not likely, it's probably installed on the HD, but it would be quite easy to do a grab and run.... :)

They had some Move demos on the unit as well
 
No real point of me going to my local event as its on the 4th-7th of November and I'll have my copy by then.
 
Only if you want to see what it looks like in 3D
 
Only if you want to see what it looks like in 3D

Well the shopping centre is only a 10 minute walk from my place, but that would mean I'd have to stop playing my own GT5. :nervous:
 
Ignorning the delays and what not, I went down to Carindale today to check out the demo.. there was a dude already playing in 3D. I grabbed some extra glasses from the Sony rep and watched him go around the track.

My first thoughts, 3D was terrible. It was very choppy and the refresh rate was noticeably bad. I very much doubt that anyone could play in 3D for very long like that.

The dude left half way thru the lap so I took over. It was a red Enzo on Rome? I think. I am not sure what settings it was on, but I presume it was on Professional. Handling has much improved over prologue on the DS3. You can actually slide the car around corners quite nicely and felt very nice to drive and realistic.

I asked the Sony rep if I could get 3d switched off so he did that, but it appeared the PS3 was still running in 720p as it was not as clear as it could be - had a lot of lines across the screen? I then asked the rep if I could change cars and tracks, he took the controller and just hit restart :S and didn't let me change anything... anyway, I started the lap and tested out the various views and settled for cockpit. Normally I drive with the bumper cam, but for some reason the cockpit view seemed very attractive in the demo compared to prologue.

Now after I went around a few corners, I noticed straight away that the AI drivers were VERY agressive and liked to ram into you. I was coming first at one point with a reasonable lead on a straight. Out of nowhere what appeared to be a dodge viper somehow spun me out on the straight and the following cars beeped their horns as they went passed? Then I discovered that indeed pressing L3 was the horn in my own car. After that I slowly admired the graphics and finished the race.

Some notes,
- 3d was horrible
- Frame rate was choppy and definately dropped below 25fps as I could clearly see the stutter especially in the replay... I dont know if this was because the ps3/gt5 might have been running at 720p in 3d mode, with the screen on 2d mode? (rep hit a button on the tv to change it back to 2d)
- Handling/Physics has improved greatly
- AI drivers are crazy
- Horns worked
- Cockpit view was better than prologue somehow
- Could feel all the bumps on the track
- The track itself looked very real, I think possibly because they aced the lighting
- Sony rep did not have a clue about any delays

I will be going to the Garden City one also when it comes there next week. Hoping I will be able to change the car and track this time.
 
You can change the track and car by escaping out to the menu above, press start and then circle - exit :)

Yeah I did notice the cockpit view seemed to look better compared to Prologue and the Time Trail. I didn't notice any stutter in 3D, it looked pretty smooth to me.
 
oh yeah I know how to exit.. same thing as prologue... just the dude didnt seem to want me to.. he took the controller and just hit restart when I asked :S
 
OK, I went back and tried it for a fair while whilst my wife was at the Trinny and Susannah thing.

I agree, frame rate was very choppy, and with 3D off at the TV I don't think the PS3 changes, so it seems that you are only getting every second frame and felt even more choppy.

3D is also half the horizontal resolution I believe, and some stuff looks pretty jaggy.

There was also noticable tearing and the weird reflection artifacts around the roof of the car that was there in Prologue is still there.

You can choose either a Time Trial or Arcade Race, all other options are not selectable.

If you go back to the main screen and leave it for a while I got to see the Aeroplane Hanger photo mode back drop, I can't remember, is it a red bull museum or something?

The trees in this section and generally everywhere are the 2D variety and in some situations such as the Hanger or Toscana track they look really out of place and well plain old bad.

The car AI didn't seem to be particularly improved and for the most part drove like I didn't exist. But having said that I am perfectly happy with the AI from GT3 on, GT2 they seem to be all over the track and to me that doesn't feel realistic. I'd much prefer they follow the racing line like drivers who know the track.

I managed some fairly brutal head ons, particularly with the Nascar's on the Rome track, and saw some fairly good looking realtime deformation happen to the lead AI car. I seemed to be unable to get other cars to deform though, even other Nascar's.

I also managed to drive a Nascar into the wall for a stretch and aside from lots of sparks the front bumper came loose.

In replays I could not see either sparks, deformation or the loose bumper.

The 3D effect felt better in the replays and some of the camera angles are spectacular.

Physics felt fantastic (although I loathe playing with the controller), and had that similar feel to the TT demo when I played on professional.

The engine sounds were very good imho especially the Nascars and the Corvette, far more like they are moving quantities of air like real V8's.

Tyre squeal sounded like the TT demo to me.

Tyre smoke is spectacular, except when reversing in the bumper view as smoke seems to just appear at two points in the middle of the screen which looks weird.

I was unable to produce any tyre marks, although the guy at the stand believed that he saw a car literally drive over another car and leave either tyre tracks or damage on the roof of the other car. Despite trying very hard I was unable to reproduce this.

On the Toscana track I drove to the top of the hill and sat looking at the sun, the blonde at the stand came over and said are you having trouble and I said no, I'm watching the sunset, she looked at me funny and then watched the screen and commented "wow that looks pretty cool"... that's one of those weird video gaming moments that I could really only retell on this forum :)

The sunset was pretty quick and once the lights of the car come on it was too dark to see much in the overly bright shopping centre lights, I'm hoping this is better at home.

I saw the game engine fail to load the road exture for the start of the track at the Ring and then later at the Tokyo track I saw all the textures slowly load starting from the viepoint and gradually into the distance. I have a theory that unlike previous GT's it is now streaming textures similar to the Unreal Engine. This has its pros and cons.

I looked at the file size of the demo and it was something like 3096MB, so my gut feeling is that the majority of the 10GB install will be the textures that are streamed in.

The ingame XMB was not available, with it only presenting you the option to quit the game or turn off the controller etc.

The guy at the stand said it crashed a lot, but I only saw it hang once after the screen goes black after the time limit on the Toscana track. That was when I got to check the size and the date on the demo file was 11 October 2010, but that may be the date it was downloaded and installed.

Overall if this is what you got to review GT5 and hadn't read anything else here or seen any trailers I think you would be very disappointed. So I think the average punter walking past and picking up the controller wouldn't get too excited about a new GT.

I on the other hand having driven it at Gamescom with a wheel I am insanely excited about the new physics engine, day / night and weather.

Just think, you could potentially drive a new car and a new track from the track creator every day for the next three years without seeing a repeat.
 
Last edited:
Were you in Germany for Gamescom?
 
Yeah, here are the video's of me driving badly:

[youtubehd]nh-TdIQ3S9A[/youtubehd]

Gotta love that thumbnail picture:

[youtubehd]hwGn8IO01uY[/youtubehd]

It's hard to judge what the car is doing without being able to hear it, but I got a lanyard for my efforts... later they seemed to be just giving them out to anyone.

I also drove the Nürburgring Nordschleife for real :) so I can tell you GT5 is pretty damn realistic.
 
Last edited:
Man, lucky I saw this thread! I might pop into Garden City later in the week :) hopefully playing it will help ease the pain of waiting. They god damn well better have a Lamborghini in there!
 
None of the 48 racers in the 24 hour race are on GTPlanet? That seems fishy.
 
I noticed in those vids they have the new HUD elements on the bottom left, but with nothing in it
 
Anyone fancy a go at GT5? :)

went to EB today to buy a ps3 controller, was talking to the guy there ( good mates, know him personally ).

he said they are scheduled to recieve some Gt5 copies on the 13th or there abouts to put on display, as EB here have 6 ps3's setup you can play
 
Is that in Sydney?
 
Dubbo :lol:

That counts me out.
 
Other EB in my area should be getting them, I'll be on the lookout :)
 
I'll check with mine when I pick up Fallout New Vegas tomorrow but my hopes aren't high. I've never seen anything except a cash register and some overpriced games at that store.
 
I'll check with mine when I pick up Fallout New Vegas tomorrow but my hopes aren't high. I've never seen anything except a cash register and some overpriced games at that store.

Negative in SE Queensland.

But apparently they had like a closed beta type thing at the Gold Coast convention centre sometime in the last week. He wouldn't give me any other information though...

It was something worth keeping quiet about though. They also had Duke Nukem Forever there too apparently.
 
There's also one of these PS3 demos set up in EB Games in Coffs Harbour, or at least there was a few months ago when I was last there (I can remember almost picking up the Dualshock to play what I initally thought was a new demo of GT5 but then was dissaponted when I saw the Prologue case sitting next to the TV).
 
Back