Automatic versus manual transmission

Manual is the faster option most of the time, and also allows for more fuel efficiency if you know how to run it. On a wheel its no contest, but i do actually struggle with manual on a controller. It doesn't feel natural to me, and i still put up solid times with auto.

Definetly manual, and definitely you'll get used to it.

I started manuall shifting with GTS, too (the last racing game for me was GT5), and it takes only a few days to fully adapt to it!

Typically I race in Auto... I find my lines are better when in Auto. Having said that, there are certain instances where Manual is 100% a must. Pretty much every Race A Daily Car requires Manual or you lose ridiculous amounts of time. The gearing for some of those cars is terrible and you have to over rev before shifting and/or stay in a higher gear in a turn to hold a line better at full throttle and also save the time you would otherwise be losing by having to shift up again upon exiting the corner.

Depending on which game you're playing and which car you're driving you may get different results. I have no experience with GTS but up until GT6 and being a controller casual gamer I'd stick with automatic transmission as it allowed me to solely focus on the line and the road (which is what automatic transmission provides in real life scenarios as well) With that being sad, after I started playing Assetto Corsa about 3 years ago I've stuck with manual transmission, specially because the way the shifting window is setup, you'll only shift up while on redline which for cars that have no TC might be a pain in the butt as they'll want to spin out if you allow them to rev past a certain point in the first couple of gears (mostly between 2nd and 3rd) so with a manual gearbox you can rev the car just high enough and shift gears without the need to reach redline.
Also for fuel economy purposes (think GT6 missions for instance) short-shifting is a nice tool given to you by a manual gearbox. I prefer to do short shifting most of the time, rather than waiting for redline anyways, so it just works for me I guess.
Again I'd say (and this is based on AC since the behaviour of the cars is really well reproduced there imo) generally if the real car has TC, then leave the TC on, if it has an automatic transmission and the gear ratios are set properly at least give it a shot before changing but ultimately it all boils down to personal preference and wether you're settings are allowing you to have fun or making your racing game more of a chore

Back