Beauty Contest: Gran Turismo Sport vs Forza Motorsport 7

This is true if you are new to this two games

I've been playing Forza and GT since their first titles and GTS' lack of content and Forza's huge selection of cars and track variation still applies to me. Lack of content is still lack of content. You're referring to a lack of new content, which is different. Motorsport falls into a very interesting category of sports games because we don't have a title that resembles the yearly releases of FIFA, MLB, NBA, NHL games, etc. Those games tend to have incremental changes and many people opt to pass up on every-other year's title to maximize the amount of "changes" in each iteration. This does not apply Forza and surely does not apply to GT at all. Sports games don't tend to rack up the number of players in the game or the amount of venues. Forza has more cars than any Forza game and has more laser-scanned tracks than any Forza game. And remember, we are still only on the first month of its launch. There's plenty more to come.

I guess you can compare which game has less or more of this and that.

That's called comparing content - which game has more of this and that, and what game has less of this and that.

I didn't see but one track and car added in forza7 since forza6.

And yet it still outnumbers the amount of tracks in GTS by a substantial amount. You're saying you'd rather get a new studio apartment every 2 years than to add an additional room to your house; get rid of everything before it and give us something new than to develop something we already have and make it grow.

Some say forza's got the better value because they can upgrade cars. but most I've seen are riding around in leaderboard tunes, claiming that they don't want to be bothered with upgrading and tuning.

I'm sorry, but are you saying that you spent a whole day going through people's leaderboard times and noted what tunes they used? Even then, it only shows who it was tuned by, not the individual tune, so how do you know they're all using the same tunes? Even if you did that, how do you know the reasoning behind their decision to use that tune? Did you send a PM to each individual XBL account asking them why they picked that tune? This sentence of yours is so confusing to me and I'm trying to understand what you're saying. Check out the leaderboards for the Nurburgring, Road Atlanta, Lime Rock and Laguna Seca; and you'll find me in the Top 5 within multiple divisions. I tune the cars myself and each tune is catered to the individual track. For someone with multiple top 5 spots, my tunes collectively have been downloaded less than 10 times as of writing this, so the idea that people are just using the top fastest tunes doesn't actually resemble what I'm seeing.

If most people are racing around with the same leaderboard tune, that just seems more like a spec race.

You can tune your car at spec-races as long as they meet class requirements. I've competed in many of them in my time and still do to this day.

And in addition my garage in Gt Sport has some Toyota's lexus (no unrealistic body kits),

GT Sport > Forza because GT Sport has some Toyotas and Lexus - this is your argument? 0.o
Have....have you even looked at FM7's car list? I mean...just glance at it dude. Believe me, you won't be disappointed, especially since almost all the cars in GT Sport are actually in it!

and a hand full of VGT cars;

Don't the VGT cars take up a large amount of the roster? Like, a really large amount of the roster? Forza Horizon 3 had a Warthog, but it didn't have a ton of fake cars in it. This becomes a problem when you have such a small list of cars - even small things make up big numbers in the %.

My forz6 game probably has about 99% of the cars in forza7;

So you're buying the same cars in FM7 as you did in FM6? Is that what you're saying? Apart from some of the race cars in GTS, FM7 has all the cars GTS has - and then 600 other ones. Didn't the last GT game come out 4 years ago? You're saying we should be grateful it doesn't share a car list with GT6? I'm so confused...

and I probably know the tracks like the back of my hand because forza hardly ever gives us many new tracks.

Talking about tracks like Laguna Seca? Spa? Monza? COTA? Yas Marina? Mugello? Sonoma? Silverstone?

Of course you recognize the tracks - it's cause they're real life circuits. Again, you're saying we should be happy that GTS didn't give us something? You must love Porsche 911's. I hear charging more for less is their modus operandi.

This shows me little effort in the production of forza 7.

It shows your clear lack of understanding in regards to the definition of content.

Im sorry, but based on my experience more cars and tracks doesn't justify more valuable things to do in the game

More cars and more tracks specifically give you more things to do in the game. What on Earth are you on about?

And these realistic graphics shows me that PD seriously worked on their game plan,

It shows that they put a lot of effort into realistic graphics.

Last edited:
One thing Digital Foundry failed to mention regarding features: Forza Motorsport 7 also has split-screen.

However, that’s only available on the Xbox One version and since they ran their test on Windows 10 I can see how that would be overlooked.

I’m not diving into any fanboy-wars that this thread has as I greatly appreciate the look and feel of both titles, but I did want to put that fact out there.
In the case of GTS, they did not speak about Scapes or Dynamic Scapes, which is an important feature (of beauty) in GT Sport.

Yup , this became a "my game is better than yours" thread , like that actually matters for something.
GT Sport makes Forza irrelevant in all aspects , it's all about GT and PCars.
4275de8f672b61cea4fad450f99d37cd.gif

Guys, at this point the discussion is going nowhere and it's genuinely detracting from the intended purpose of the thread so let's all drop it and move on.
With no disrespect intended, you may as well close the thread as its about the Digital Foundry video which is already made its way into the Comparison thread in this section & a thread created in the FM7 section.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...t-sport-in-graphics-by-digitalfoundry.363329/

Overall, you can't ignore the fact that FM7 has 700 cars and engine bays modeled. And you can't argue with the way PD manages to make everything look so authentic.

That all being said -- every time I see GTS footage it just looks so jaw-dropping. It's ridiculous how they've managed to make a game look so real and I think Digital Foundry did a good job of recognizing that.

With no disrespect intended, you may as well close the thread as its about the Digital Foundry video which is already made its way into the Comparison thread in this section & a thread created in the FM7 section.

It IS a beauty contest, and I'd much rather have these conversations here, than in the Trailers, Videos and Screenshot thread.

4275de8f672b61cea4fad450f99d37cd.gif

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...t-sport-in-graphics-by-digitalfoundry.363329/

:lol:

That's what I'm referring to: keep this discussion about that. Going off-topic, especially regarding these two is more or less inevitable, but at least the news post immediately highlights it and draws attention to it. Should it keep going down the path it has it may come to that though.

What are you trying to prove with quoting what i said , and posting that GIF? I gave my opinion on the games out now , and moved on, meanwhile i see people here writing essays as to why one is better than the other , and getting all b*** hurt and offended over other's opinions.

Why can't people just enjoy things for what they are instead of comparing them? I gave my opinion on the games and said GT makes Forza irrelevant , and that's my opinion and i stand by it , but i'm still probably going to get Forza. I didn't get triggered by other's opinions unlike a lot of people on this thread. What is even the point of this entire discussion? The conversation went way off-topic and aren't healthy to GTPlanet.

Well it IS a beauty contest, and I'd much rather have these conversations here, than in the Trailers, Videos and Screenshot thread.
That turned into a comparison thread of which...there's already one in this forum.
:lol:

That's what I'm referring to: keep this discussion about that. Going off-topic, especially regarding these two is more or less inevitable, but at least the news post immediately highlights it and draws attention to it. Should it keep going down the path it has it may come to that though.
Mate, you know as well as I do the the thread was bound to go this route of a full blown comparison.

If we want to keep it to just graphics, I'm gonna give the nod to GT every time because PD makes it such a huge priority and therefore, I expect them to be at the top.

Overall, you can't ignore the fact that FM7 has 700 cars and engine bays modeled. And you can't argue with the way PD manages to make everything look so authentic.
Now, if we can just get them combined into one, somehow.

What are you trying to prove with quoting what i said , and posting that GIF? I gave my opinion on the games out now , and moved on, meanwhile i see people here writing essays as to why one is better than the other , and getting all b*** hurt and offended over other's opinions.
There's a certain irony there.

Why can't people just enjoy things for what they are instead of comparing them?
There's some more of it right here too. You mean exactly like you didn't do?

Forza fans just can't take the truth that GT is graphically superior than Forza 7
I think the vast majority of people in this thread have agreed that GTS is the prettier game. However, most don't agree with the fanciful notion that GTS 'kills' FM7 in the graphics department.

Oh, and I thought we were all racing game fans ;)

It's rather pathetic that you would turn it into an us and them situation.

This is getting simply ridiculous. We are arguing with each other because of a few million 🤬 pixels.

I said it, but once again:
Both look amazing and that's it.

I think the vast majority of people in this thread have agreed that GTS is the prettier game. However, most don't agree with the fanciful notion that GTS 'kills' FM7 in the graphics department.

Oh, and I thought we were all racing game fans ;)

It's rather pathetic that you would turn it into an us and them situation.
He’s posted the same comparison pics 3 different times in different threads. He’s after bait bc he can’t take the fact Forza fans are smart enough to know better.

This is getting simply ridiculous. We are arguing with each other because of a few million 🤬 pixels.

I said it, but once again:
Both look amazing and that's it.
Yep we can all agree that they both look amazing but I think the vast majority would agree that GTS has the edge mainly due to the incredible lighting. However, there seem to be a few GT fans who can only see the world through GTS tinted glasses and we should challenge those people if we want this place to remain the great site it, usually, is.

What you said about having roughly 4x less cars but not justifying it with 4x the detail is an excellent point. The cars look fantastic in GTS, especially on the Pro, but FM7 isn't exactly potato quality by comparison. The cars in FM7 are absolutely stunning - especially when experienced in 4K on PC. Not only do the cars look amazing, but they sound incredible.

There's also the case of art direction and lighting. Forza Motorsport has been leaning more towards a 'blockbuster' feel by allowing the cars, and the tracks, seem larger than life. The game's art direction wants to take your breath away - and at tracks such as the Alps, it really does. Jump into a Pagani Cinque and roar down the mountain in stunning 4K with your choice of gaming headphones and rack up that volume slider - and tell me that's not an experience worthy of being jaw dropping in its own right. You don't get that sense of awe from GT games and GTS is no exception.

Where FM7 falls short in terms of art direction, GTS and the lads over at PD deliver in folds - and then some. Whereas FM7 makes me say "Wow, that looks gorgeous," GTS makes me say "Holy ****, that looks real." Of course one can use the term beautiful there, too, but I think you understand what I mean. It's not going for that 'larger than life' feel - it's going for photorealism, and that's something that hasn't changed since the game's very first installment back on the PS1.

GTS looks incredibly realistic, but to me this is more a testament of how the lighting works in the game and less so about whether or not the AC vents look real. GTS' lighting is insanely good and the fact that it handles it at 60fps (mostly) on the standard console is rather impressive. Art direction is a big deal, however, as it makes your game stand out. Games like Breath of the Wild and Cuphead look absolutely stunning - but nobody is going to mistake them for real life anytime soon. Forza walks that line really well, I think, and GTS just knocks the realism deal right out of the park.

But you're right about GTS' shortcomings. Fancy lighting and windshield washer fluid nozzles don't justify the lack of actual gameplay. I'm getting some really heavy 'Prologue' vibes from GTS...
The IGN review summed up the difference in a way I liked:

"The retort here is usually something about quality over quantity but, even though the level of detail in GT Sport’s vehicles is astonishing, it’s not as if the cars the competition is producing are sketched in crayon."

Even the poorest of the competition are far from poor, as such the quality gap, particularly once you take into account the whole environment is not the massive difference that many seem to believe.

Even the poorest of the competition are far from poor, as such the quality gap, particularly once you take into account the whole environment is not the massive difference that many seem to believe.
And that has become extremely apparent, if people are having to extremely zoom into very specific sections of a vehicle, to try to find a fault.

...and running on a lower hardware...

and having more detailed cars, tracks ;) IMO Le man track needed to be redone. So I am actually happy to wait. SPA, Monza and RB ring in particular looked good in GT6 so not sure why they did not include it. 2x or 4x textures resolution and some good looking trees was only required.

and having more detailed cars, tracks ;) IMO Le man track needed to be redone. So I am actually happy to wait. SPA, Monza and RB ring in particular looked good in GT6 so not sure why they did not include it. 2x or 4x textures resolution and some good looking trees was only required.
I'm not sure about "more detailed cars". Can you put up a shot of identical cars with their hoods up so I can see the engine bays for comparison?

Can you put up a shot of identical cars with their hoods up so I can see the engine bays for comparison?

thug-life-gif.gif

As far as car details are concerned, both games do an astonishing effort, however, when it comes to in-game lighting, I think GTS knocks pretty much everything else running at 60FPS right out of the park.

I think Forza 7 is a very pretty game, but outside of a few very specific racing conditions, it suffers the same visual issue every Forza ever has, that is a slight lack of realistic lighting and shaders. The franchise has always looked less lifelike and more exaggerated or in other places flat. It looks more "video gamey", and no amount of IQ is going to change that.

As a comparative example, simply adding high IQ to a game like Call of Duty is never going to give it the same level of graphical potency and realism as say, Battlefront, even if Battlefront was running at 1080p whilst COD was 4k. The same applies to GT Sport and Forza 7.

As controversial as this may be to say, I actually think DRIVECLUB remains the most realistic looking racer to date, and that's before even getting into weather effects. Whilst GT Sport may have more accurate modelling and certain materials, I still find DRIVECLUB's lighting more realistic and lifelike, and its post-processing more advanced. Everything about the visuals and look of the game just feels more dynamic and CGI-like.

Some people complain about the IQ in DRIVECLUB, but a lot of the time those complaints seem misplaced and nitpicky. When you're driving at breakneck speeds, overall visual realism, lighting, draw distance, shaders and effects are what stand out, not individual textures and trees.

Yes, DRIVECLUB is 30fps, but ironically it still feels smooth and super precise. That might have something to do with the way Evolution processes things to reduce input lag, because its recorded input lag is only 106ms, which is in the same ballpark as many 60fps games like Tekken 7, Street Fighter V, Master Chief Collection, Mortal Combat X, Marvel vs Capcom etc. As a comparison, Forza Horizon 2's input lag is 139ms.

Gameplay shots of DRIVECLUB.

Last edited:
As controversial as this may be to say, I actually think DRIVECLUB remains the most realistic looking racer to date

Driveclub is three years old now and still one of the most technologically impressive games I've ever experienced - from the visual fidelity, to the incredibly detailed and living environments, to the beautifully captured audio and not to mention one of the most impressive handling models I've ever experienced in a racing title.

Damn, DC is a fabulous game. If you're a petrol head, you owe it to yourself to give it a go.

Yup , this became a "my game is better than yours" thread , like that actually matters for something.
Doesn't it always? No matter what game is compared, fans from each side will have to get their's in. It's a fact of nature. But at least we have games to choose from and compare against each other! I only have one console and it's a ps4, so I play GTS. But Forza looks great and it has a lot of cars and features that GTS doesn't. I can't say it's a better game. I don't play it. I can say that I love GTS and I am glad that I purchased it. The livery editor could use a few more features but it's still really good. Much better than the one in NFS I last used.

Latest Posts

Back