Biggest Disappointment in GT1

Well it was disappointing to me at the time because I was 10 years old. And my Dad was teaching me about Gear Ratios and whatnot, and I started messing with them, and whenever you tune your transmission, it would give you an estimate on what your Top Speed could be, and I vaguely remember it saying I could go 409MPH and I thought it was possible, but of course when I took it out on the Test Cource it got nowhere near it. It's kind of a funny/embarassment but I was a youngster at the time :D

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I don't think anything is wrong about that game, it was awesome considering the timeframe it was made, I wasn't really disappointed or anything I just wanted to call my Playstation a liar.

Chris Criswell
Well it was disappointing to me at the time because I was 10 years old. And my Dad was teaching me about Gear Ratios and whatnot, and I started messing with them, and whenever you tune your transmission, it would give you an estimate on what your Top Speed could be, and I vaguely remember it saying I could go 409MPH and I thought it was possible, but of course when I took it out on the Test Cource it got nowhere near it. It's kind of a funny/embarassment but I was a youngster at the time :D

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I don't think anything is wrong about that game, it was awesome considering the timeframe it was made, I wasn't really disappointed or anything I just wanted to call my Playstation a liar.

That speed is the theoretical speed your car can do if it's on a long ....very long straight with no turns or bumps...kinda like the Bonneville salt flats in Utah. I think there would also have to be no wind or something.
This theoretical speed can probably be attained in GT2 if you know how to get your car outside the track at Motorsports Land or Laguna Seca.

Chris Criswell

Isn't that an indication of the speed at which you would change to the next gear? Therefore I assume you would be changing to the last gear with the car doing 409MPH, what were you driving, a Viper?

Parnelli Bone
That speed is the theoretical speed your car can do if it's on a long ....very long straight with no turns or bumps...kinda like the Bonneville salt flats in Utah. I think there would also have to be no wind or something.
This theoretical speed can probably be attained in GT2 if you know how to get your car outside the track at Motorsports Land or Laguna Seca.
Actually there would need to be no air (or perhaps a tail wind as fast as you are going), and no rolling resistance. The environment "outside the track" might be even less realistically simulated than that in the game as intended, so yes, perhaps it has such conditions.

TheCracker
If you bought the game from new when it first came out - what could you possibly be disapointed with? GT1 was so far ahead of anything else before (or a long time after) that i think that any disppointment can only be considered a retrospective comment - if you see what i mean.

I know it only had what, 200 or so cars and most of those were Japanese, but what other game of its time had 1/10th of that amount?

Absolutely. I can remember when I first got hold of a copy and my jaw dropping to the floor in amazement. It was stunning, the gorgeous quality of the replays, the amazing quality of play, the fantastic realism (for it's time) of the handling etc. When you remember that the only other racing games before GT1 were arcade games like "Rage Racer" (who still plays that these days?!), I got my hands on an old copy recently and popped it in the PS2 for old times sake and was simply appalled by it's lack of realism. GT1 really did move the goalposts for racing sims. In fact it didn't just move them it shifted them into a totally different ballpark.

If I have to criticise it it would be that sometimes on the replays there was a bug that messed up the colours in the game, but that would be the only fair one I think.

Having beaten Gran Turismo 1 in the past, I know about the good and bad of this game. And to be honest, I don't think there's much to be disappointed about. If I had to get disappointed about something, it would be that only the Japanese car makes should not be the only ones with Special Models. Out of all of them, probably Aston Martin wouldn't have its own Special Model. Had GTP and LMP race cars been introduced in GT1, I'd say the Aston Martin AMR-1 (is that what the car was called?) would probably be in the game. Chevrolet? Well, I wouldn't know much about what would be a good special model, unless you want to make a fantasy LM racer out of the ZR-1 Corvette. Dodge would simply have the GTS-R available to buy. TVR's Cerbera LM Race Car would likely be their top model.

Other than that, nothing much to be disappointed about. It's still a solid game in my view.

Nscale4
For me it would be the lack of sweet race cars in the game.

Really, I thought there was quite a range of LM cars and the fact that you can [R] mod the body of every car, bar one, in the game means there were even more.

JohnBM01
Having beaten Gran Turismo 1 in the past, I know about the good and bad of this game. And to be honest, I don't think there's much to be disappointed about. If I had to get disappointed about something, it would be that only the Japanese car makes should not be the only ones with Special Models. Out of all of them, probably Aston Martin wouldn't have its own Special Model. Had GTP and LMP race cars been introduced in GT1, I'd say the Aston Martin AMR-1 (is that what the car was called?) would probably be in the game. Chevrolet? Well, I wouldn't know much about what would be a good special model, unless you want to make a fantasy LM racer out of the ZR-1 Corvette. Dodge would simply have the GTS-R available to buy. TVR's Cerbera LM Race Car would likely be their top model.

Other than that, nothing much to be disappointed about. It's still a solid game in my view.

But most of the special models available can be won in the game. I don't understand why PD desgined it that you don't win an NSX or GTO of any sort, especailly as people rate them as high as they do.

the most disappointing thing about GT1?

the sequels. :)

but seriously, I don't recall anything sucky about the game then... save for the Skylines... they kinda suck then...

oh yeah, TURBO LAG time was horrid then.

crosstrainer

but seriously, I don't recall anything sucky about the game then... save for the Skylines... they kinda suck then...

What was wrong with the Skylines?

crosstrainer
oh yeah, TURBO LAG time was horrid then.

Realistic though.

hi TMM - the skylines just don't handle the way they do in GT2 (and up)... could be just me, of course :)

re: turbo lag, i've never driven a turbocharged car before, so basis for comparison.

crosstrainer
hi TMM - the skylines just don't handle the way they do in GT2 (and up)... could be just me, of course :)

re: turbo lag, i've never driven a turbocharged car before, so basis for comparison.

Hi and welcome to GTP. As I understand it the high end Turbo's that are installed in the cars mean that there would be a lag whilst the turbo's generate enough air to power the car. The trick is to brake, rev the engine and then release the brakes.

Yeah, they ****ed up the turbos in GT2. High-end super turbo systems have almost no power at the lower end of the tachometer in the first game (which is realistic), I don't know why they changed all this in the 2nd game...

Last edited:
These are exactly the reasons I Hybrid, To make the cars how there suppose to be, I don't have any rediculous HP cars in GT1 or GT2, Just enough to keep the cars pulling like there suppose to! Large Turbos are not suppose to give up!!!

HYBRIDLVR
These are exactly the reasons I Hybrid, To make the cars how there suppose to be, I don't have any rediculous HP cars in GT1 or GT2, Just enough to keep the cars pulling like there suppose to! Large Turbos are not suppose to give up!!!

I thought we had photographic evidence of some of your wilder cars in GT2 with huge amounts of HP.

I was disapointed as a crappy driver :grumpy: !but, once I was able to take a corner at 20mp/h :dopey: , I tried the licences money and skill came with those licences 👍 . Now I am the best driver in my entire family :sly: .THANK YOU PD!

crosstrainer

I agree and dispite the car selection being extremely Japanese biased (it was originally intended just for Japan I believe) it was a balanced car selection. GT1 had its flaws but it was so well put together and I loved the presentation and music in the PAL version (on top of the rest of the game of course!). None of the Cheesy Jazz as in all the sequels (and most Japanese racing games in general).

None of GT1s sequels have equalled the first in my opinion (Including GT4). Some may think this may be impossible, but it isn't just they need to actually do something new to actually be a worthy sequel like the original did (And no photo mode doesn't count).

T5-R
I agree and dispite the car selection being extremely Japanese biased (it was originally intended just for Japan I believe) it was a balanced car selection. GT1 had its flaws but it was so well put together and I loved the presentation and music in the PAL version (on top of the rest of the game of course!). None of the Cheesy Jazz as in all the sequels (and most Japanese racing games in general).

None of GT1s sequels have equalled the first in my opinion (Including GT4). Some may think this may be impossible, but it isn't just they need to actually do something new to actually be a worthy sequel like the original did (And no photo mode doesn't count).

Accurate damage modelling might do it & on-line play.

My ONE gripe about GT1 (and GT3) is the fact that the All Wheel Drive physics utterly SUCKED! Other than that GT1 was AWESOME! It has features that 2/3 missed.

I liked the AWD in GT2. It was a bit 4WD-ish, but it felt more correct. In GT3, AWD was once again broken. If they would stop the magic wheels drive (engine drives front or rear with half power and remaining power is magically applied to the other wheels with no connecting diff) and correctly model AWD (play Forza and see, or better yet, do donuts in your Subaru Outback or whatever IRL), I would like it more.

I don't think I have any really. I played the demo at a cousin's house, not even knowing the name of it, and then later on, shortly after GT2 had come out, I finally got a PSOne and was picking up a few used games. I had picked up one of the Tomb Raider games as the main one for that purchase, then GT as a "oh I like racing this'll be to kill time when I get mad at Tomb Raider".. I put TR in maybe 2 times... for about oh 10 minutes each.. I hated it.. but anyway.. back to the GT bit..

I loved GT back then.. I loved the race modifying *still miffed that PD took that out* and while I wasn't big on Japanese cars at the time, I enjoyed it a lot. I actually liked the qualifying then, not like like it is now. Then you could get more money, plus test out before EVERY race not just series races. My main gripe over GT1 was being able to put down a few thousand creds and suddenly you have a +1000 HP race car (skyline) or close to that (GTO) ... then a couple weeks later I pick up GT4 cuz I saw it had more US and Euro cars and was sorely disappointed.. the graphics were much worse and I missed a lot of the fine tuning that GT1 had.. I really need to get a new copy of GT1.. my CD drive on my computer kinda closed on the disc when I was just finished playing it on the emulator -_-;;; *gamestop still wants like $10 for GT1*

^i think you made a bit of a typo, you claimed that GT1 had better graphics than 4 has :lol:

and erm...you know you can take CD drives apart??

:lol: :lol: Yeah, I meant GT2, when I got GT1 and GT2, PS2 was just kinda in the rumors phase.

and the CD drive.. if it were just stuck in the drive I could've rescued it long ago... but what happened was it was this off-brand name CD-RW (before I knew better :dunce: ) and it would close REALLY fast without a touch or anything and I had opened it and started taking the GT1 CD out and I looked away mid-takeout and the drive closed and so half the CD is just totally scraped clean :nervous: it still kinda plays.. but it locks up a lot

psonefreak
:lol: :lol: Yeah, I meant GT2, when I got GT1 and GT2, PS2 was just kinda in the rumors phase.

and the CD drive.. if it were just stuck in the drive I could've rescued it long ago... but what happened was it was this off-brand name CD-RW (before I knew better :dunce: ) and it would close REALLY fast without a touch or anything and I had opened it and started taking the GT1 CD out and I looked away mid-takeout and the drive closed and so half the CD is just totally scraped clean :nervous: it still kinda plays.. but it locks up a lot

ouch, thats pretty bad! ive had a CD become dislodged in the drive before and the spindle kept spinning. luckily it was a demo disk :)

yeah... but that not only killed the GT1 CD, it's kinda made the drive a bit wierd since then too.. which is why I got rid of it and bought me a real one.. a Toshiba CD-RW/DVD-R combo drive lol

The Viper and TVR tests.Urgh(/me went in to the corner to cry).The only thing is that i was to young to drive like i drive now(very clean, no shortcuts, no grass ridings).And when i bought stuff for the car i went to buy the one that cost the most.And when i tuned the castrol supra so that my whole race run on grass for me.Hated TVR and Autumn Ring too.Hated my friend who deleted my Honda Civic SIR(the only one with all the stuff bought).And the tests were too hard for me too.My friend did them for me(yay!).

psonefreak
I loved GT back then.. I loved the race modifying *still miffed that PD took that out* and while I wasn't big on Japanese cars at the time, I enjoyed it a lot. I actually liked the qualifying then, not like like it is now. Then you could get more money, plus test out before EVERY race not just series races. My main gripe over GT1 was being able to put down a few thousand creds and suddenly you have a +1000 HP race car (skyline) or close to that (GTO) ...

Yeah the qualifying was much better in GT1 than any other of the game series. It was good how you could suplement your winnings by qualifying first and also test your car and yourself on the straights and corners of the course.

You couldn't get a 1000+ HP race car in GT1, not without Hybriding it yourself. The top power car is the GTO with something like 930 HP. GT2 introduced the 1000+ HP cars but then it is a lesser game anyway.

psonefreak
My main gripe over GT1 was being able to put down a few thousand creds and suddenly you have a +1000 HP race car (skyline) or close to that (GTO)

Very much agreed! This wouldn't be an issue for me personally if the Viper (my fave in GT1) could also be modified past 700+ hp. That's 1 thing I like about GT2, the power is more balanced. You can take a Viper or the Alfa Romeo 155 Touring Car (to mention just a couple) and compete against JGTC or GT1 full-racing cars.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
Very much agreed! This wouldn't be an issue for me personally if the Viper (my fave in GT1) could also be modified past 700+ hp. That's 1 thing i like about GT2, the power is more balanced. You can take a Viper or the Alfa Romeo 155 Touring Car (to mention just a couple) and compete against the JGTC GT1 full-racing cars.

But isn't that because of the AI's bad driving, not so much an equalling of the power available?

Latest Posts

Back