Biggest Disappointment in GT1

TMM
But isn't that because of the AI's bad driving, not so much an equalling of the power available?

Not all the ai in GT2 drives bad. The World Cup, GT300 & 500, and some of the All Stars races are pretty competitive as long as you don't enter a car with an insane amount of power. All I'm saying is in GT1, it would be cool if there were more cars that could reach those higher echelons of power that are only shared by the Skyline & GTO. It is possible to win the Hard Tuned races with a Viper, for instance, but for me, it's not really a fun experience. I remember it more like hair-pulling & frustrating! Course, I am a better driver now than I was a year ago.

Last edited:
I think we've been through this before.

I am by no means a great driver (get thrashed in online races, and also in the one-or-two in person meets I've attended).

But I find winning the Hard Tuned Series in a Viper very doable--sweeping it even (all wins, all poles), at least after a period of refamiliarization with the GT1 physics model, etc.

My favourite car for getting back into that series is the Nissan 180SX'94 Type X.

One thing you need to learn to do is cut your losses. If you've made a mistake at Grand Valley, you might not be able to get back into first; they don't wait for you much.

You do use racing tires, and all maxed parts don't you? I talked to one guy once who found it very difficult because he thought "tuned" meant you couldn't use racing parts; no racing tires, no racing exhaust, no racing suspension, etc. :D

Another key to winning the series is to learn the Autumn Ring ii track. It turns out that's actually the track where you are most likely to seriously outperform the AI. The first sequence of turns (ending up in the downhill towards the 270 degree corner) can be taken pretty fast if you learn the lines. Especially the turn at the top of the hill. When I first started doing the series, I dreaded that track, but later on it was the high point, fun-wise.

Yeah, we have been thru this before. And yes, I was using all racing parts...soft tires, everything but the racing body kit. I would kill the competition at High Speed Ring II but would lose it at Grand Valley II. I remember I made it as far as Special Stage R5 II once and I simply gave up after trying again and again. I think the issue for me was that I didn't know the reverse courses very well. Like I said, this was a year ago. I'm probably better at the reverse courses now after doing a gazillion manufacturer races in GT2. When I have the time, I'll fire up GT1 again and give the Tuned series a try, but for now I'm too wrapped up in other projects at the moment.

Last edited:
SportWagon
Another key to winning the series is to learn the Autumn Ring ii track. It turns out that's actually the track where you are most likely to seriously outperform the AI. The first sequence of turns (ending up in the downhill towards the 270 degree corner) can be taken pretty fast if you learn the lines. Especially the turn at the top of the hill. When I first started doing the series, I dreaded that track, but later on it was the high point, fun-wise.

I too used to dread that track but after a while and getting some experience it becomes quite a breeze as you can out pace the AI cars.

Oh yes. Grand Valley II. The race that early on even good players thought might be impossible to beat! That's the one where you really must settle for less than first if you have made a mistake, and hope to make the points up later.

Clubman Stage Route 5 ii can be easy to win, and it tends to jumble the AI finishing order, allowing you to win the series with less than 37 points, because one-or-two of the best AI tend to get hung up on the wall at the last corner! It could depend on how much you allow yourself to bounce off the walls, I guess...

Oh yes, one shock at that course is that the AI qualifying times are way too slow. You can qualify first at that race with nearly any fully-tuned car, and so you end up thinking the race will be easy. But then when the race starts, the AI go their normal speed, so it's sort of a shock.

At SSR11ii the AI tend to lose some time because they hit walls on some of the turn sequences.

SportWagon
Oh yes. Grand Valley II. The race that early on even good players thought might be impossible to beat! That's the one where you really must settle for less than first if you have made a mistake, and hope to make the points up later.

Clubman Stage Route 5 ii can be easy to win, and it tends to jumble the AI finishing order, allowing you to win the series with less than 37 points, because one-or-two of the best AI tend to get hung up on the wall at the last corner! It could depend on how much you allow yourself to bounce off the walls, I guess...

Oh yes, one shock at that course is that the AI qualifying times are way too slow. You can qualify first at that race with nearly any fully-tuned car, and so you end up thinking the race will be easy. But then when the race starts, the AI go their normal speed, so it's sort of a shock.

At SSR11ii the AI tend to lose some time because they hit walls on some of the turn sequences.

Ooops I meant Clubman Route 5. Even now, I suck at that track. Mostly, it's turn 1 (the 1st turn after the straight). It's so hard to see and from what I remember there are no visual cues as to when to start braking & turning other than the red & white barrier, which comes up REALLY fast. I don't worry much about Autumn Ring II or GV II anymore.

Last edited:
There is a visual clue. There's a sort of right-turn lane marking appears as you're getting close. As long as you can move far enough to the right, it won't matter much if you run into the wall around the corner. :rolleyes: :fakeinnocentwhistle:

SportWagon
There is a visual clue. There's a sort of right-turn lane marking appears as you're getting close. As long as you can move far enough to the right, it won't matter much if you run into the wall around the corner. :rolleyes: :fakeinnocentwhistle:

I'm amazed at you saying that, I thought we strived for clean laps everytime!!!!

Parnelli Bone
Mostly, it's turn 1 (the 1st turn after the straight). It's so hard to see and from what i remember there are no visual cues as to when to start braking & turning other than the red & white barrier, which comes up REALLY fast.

I'm usually as far left as possible cause that gives you a wider entrance for the corner but I have hit that barrier a number of times. In the early days I used to just drive straight into it cause I missed the corner coming up. Now I jusT know when to start turning, can't say that I have a mark as such, but I keep my eyes peeled for the barrier and as soon as I see it I start to make the turn.

The weirdest thing happened to me yesterday. Right after I posted to this thread I started racing in GT2 (finishing up some manufacturer stuff on one of my memory cards). I did the Dodge Neon Cup and my random track was Clubman Route 5 II. Then I moved on to the Corvette Challenge. Guess what track came up again? Then I did the R-modded Corvette race. Again...Clubman Stage Route 5 II!

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
The weirdest thing happened to me yesterday. Right after i posted to this thread i started racing in GT2 (finishing up some manufacturer stuff on one of my memory cards). I did the Dodge Neon Cup and my random track was Clubman Route 5 II. Then i moved on to the Corvette Challenge. Guess waht track came up again? Then i did the R-modded Corvette race. Again...Clubman Stage Route 5 II!

Maybe it knew you didn't like that track.

My only real disappointment was the Special Models. A '95 GTO MR could smoke them and the total cost of tuning and car for a 900hp GTO is way less than $500k.

Woolie Wool
My only real disappointment was the Special Models. A '95 GTO MR could smoke them and the total cost of tuning and car for a 900hp GTO is way less than $500k.

To some extent I agree with you but I think the paint jobs are unique to those cars, not that it is worth CR500k.

Cr500,000 is only slightly more than 1 Normal or Tuned Series sweep. It doesn't take long to accumulate enough money to buy all six.

GT1 is rather interesting in that a car can be purchased, tuned, and quickly recoup its value. I.e. you can win more than the approximately Cr300,000K cost of purchasing and tuning a car just by winning reasonably well in the Hard-Tuned Series.

So after a few months of playing, garage space is more of an issue than money is.

That's not the case in the most recent games.

SportWagon
Cr500,000 is only slightly more than 1 Normal or Tuned Series sweep. It doesn't take long to accumulate enough money to buy all six.

Agreed, CR come cheap in GT1 although not as cheap as in GT2. But the cars are still not worth CR500K for a different paint job.

Thought I would bump this for newer members to post on so we can get discussion going perhaps!

Last edited:
I'm proud to say that I could not find nothing wrong with GT1, I played it up until I had 2 hours to be at work, I was addicted until "Gameshark" Then I had to be admitted into The GT Hospital! ;-))))

The biggest dissapointment? None. Until GT2 came out and I saw how many hundreds of cars it added, and now GT1 seems... insufficient.

JamaicanDrifter
The AI......I wish it was better now that I know how to drive and tune my cars. But back then it was the hardest game i ever played.

:) agreed. To me, portions of GT1 are still pretty tough, though. It has many dimensions left out in later games.

Sakiale
The biggest dissapointment? None. Until GT2 came out and I saw how many hundreds of cars it added, and now GT1 seems... insufficient.

Yup, that's why I moved on...as great as GT1 is, I couldn't wait to get behind the wheel of OTHER Corvettes. Beemers, Peugeots, Volkswagens, more TVRs, more Vipers, more Accord/Subaru/mommy-wagons. Even the Mini captured my attention for awhile. Did anyone else go thru a Demio phase in GT1 or GT2? I did!

Last edited:
HYBRIDLVR
I'm proud to say that I could not find nothing wrong with GT1, I played it up until I had 2 hours to be at work, I was addicted until "Gameshark" Then I had to be admitted into The GT Hospital! ;-))))

Yeah, that's what's cool, it stands the test of time.

I can't remember many disappointments from when it came out. I think I was amazed to be playing it.

5 blocks of a memory card was pretty harsh!
not being able to get all golds for license cars sucked. Maybe i should make it my lifelong goal to get them.

The consensus is that golds in GT1 are pretty easy, compared to the later games.

The physics model helps you to just "zero in" on the correct corner speeds, and probably the times were high compared to what experts eventually managed to achieve. So trying to get those golds is probably a reasonable goal. It took me a few weeks of most of my spare time.

The rally tests in GT2 were almost as easy to gold as that dizzy Impreza test in GT1. Perhaps easier, in some cases.

But I found one or two tests in GT2 difficult to get even silver on. I guess I got all B golds a few times, but never put a concerted effort into the rest.

I found the one featuring the last turn at Red Rock Valley extremely difficult to silver.

Wow, really? The only one I found hard was at Seattle.
I think Ford GT40?

Anyway, yeah the rally were easy, and even my completely n00bish friend managed to gold that dizzy Impreza test by about 5 seconds.

SportWagon
The rally tests in GT2 were almost as easy to gold as that dizzy Impreza test in GT1. Perhaps easier, in some cases.

But I found one or two tests in GT2 difficult to get even silver on. I guess I got all B golds a few times, but never put a concerted effort into the rest.

I found the one featuring the last turn at Red Rock Valley extremely difficult to silver.

Even the GT2 S license at Tahiti maze. I did it the other day, tagged a couple walls, generally drove nowhere near the best of my ability and still got a gold with seconds to spare.

But for me, GT1 has some of the hardest license tests. I had a problem with the fact that the demo was located way back in the Start menu. It's so much easier when the demo is right there for you to watch.

Last edited:
Back