• Thread starter rronak95
  • 193 comments

Fan Boycott

• Yes

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 247 87.0%

• Total voters
Or if Polyphony and Sony are serious about jumpstarting it then they could just do it. If you make it, they will come, as the people say.
You can't really just "jumpstart" an entire sport, otherwise NASCAR would have been immensely popular all the way back in 1947. Granted, they didn't have the money PD and Sony do now, but it's still going to take time to persuade sponsors that professional sim racing is the next big thing, and that it's not a complete waste of their time and money. What's more, if they want to be properly huge, then they have to prove that very same thing to the media. That's why eSports as a whole is still small peas compared to most traditional sports in almost every country aside from South Korea at the moment. No matter how much money you have, building the relationships required to make a sports product a success takes considerable time.

Sony and Polyphony are not poor little indies that can't afford to boost their own esports series for the first year. Especially if they're smart about it and make money off advertising and additional sales. I don't see the point in just throwing a game designed for esports into the market and then not backing it all the way.
Sure, they've got the money to boost it for the fist year. But that's all they have. As concerns the sports world, they don't yet have the connections required to make pro sim racing a success. They still have to prove to sponsors and networks that the product they aim to create is sustainable.

Wouldn't do that too fast if I were you. Most people that boycott it's almost like the last chance so to speak. Like I was boycotting PD after GT5. I got GT6, and kept telling myself "Hey if they release all updates to GT6 etc I'll stay." Well I kept checking into GTplanet front page for update news, and every time I'd say "It's still not enough for me to go buy it back(traded it in 3 weeks after I got it(Also checking GTplanet all the way up to Sept of last year for any relevant updates)).

Then last fall bought a Gaming Laptop(Yeah I know, but not settled in life to get a Desktop). Then it finally happened I left, and pretty much may never come back, but I'm saying all this to say.......

Wouldn't do what you're doing because some people will actually leave and never come back which in a way kills the fanbase. Yes I'm serious when I say that.

If you like the game to enough to justify 60 dollars buy it, if not then don't. You're the customer so do what ever you want.

Sadly it's people buying the game regardless of its features purely because of the GT badge that encourages PD to carry on doing whatever they want in their isolated world with merry ignorance of the fanbase.

Too much 'I'm buying it just because it's GT' around here and those people are really holding the series back.

You can't really just "jumpstart" an entire sport, otherwise NASCAR would have been immensely popular all the way back in 1947. Granted, they didn't have the money PD and Sony do now, but it's still going to take time to persuade sponsors that professional sim racing is the next big thing, and that it's not a complete waste of their time and money. What's more, if they want to be properly huge, then they have to prove that very same thing to the media. That's why eSports as a whole is still small peas compared to most traditional sports in almost every country aside from South Korea at the moment. No matter how much money you have, building the relationships required to make a sports product a success takes considerable time.

It's true, but there's a considerable difference between a game like say, Skullgirls becoming an esport and Street Fighter V becoming an esport. Yes, SFV has the Street Fighter name behind it, but it also has Capcom hosting their own Pro Tour.

We live in an age where marketing and word of mouth is a commodity. While sure, you can't build a worldwide level esport overnight, you can certainly get a significant start on it. While you can't make a terrible game take off, you can certainly make sure that your great game doesn't get outcompeted by whatever flavour of the month happens to be going around (overwatchoverwatchoverwatch).

Sure, they've got the money to boost it for the fist year. But that's all they have. As concerns the sports world, they don't yet have the connections required to make pro sim racing a success.

Well maybe they should have thought of that before making a sim racing esport game. Money can buy all the things they need. If they need expertise and connections, those are available. Polyphony has a bit of a reputation for knowing better and doing everything themselves, but there's no need. Just get people who know what they're doing and let them get to work.

They still have to prove to sponsors and networks that the product they aim to create is sustainable.

Yes, but nothing reassures people that you're in it for the long haul like putting your money where your mouth is. If I'm a broadcaster and I see that Polyphony and Sony have got $3 million invested in making this happen for the next two years, that's pretty good. I might have reservations about whether the content is desirable, but I don't have reservations that the dev is going to dump support of the game halfway through the first season.

I know eh? A consumer trying to arrange a boycott because he's unhappy with a product. Has this ever happened before?

Thing is, he could easily send a message the same sensible way others have instead of wasting time with this: Voting with is wallet. Money tends to reach the company faster then some "boycott" will.

That's valid, but not really necessary... its too soon. Just move on to another franchise and be happy.

For those who know what i mean, isn't it painful to see all these guys missing out on such brilliant sims out there?

I borrowed a PS3 recently to replay some GT6 (and get platinum), and after @Johnnypenso said something about PCars' career to make a point, i started playing it again and fell in love with it harder than when i first played it. It sounded, looked, and felt so good after playing GT6 that i just can't belive how many people is still depending on GT to have fun.

If you don't like it, move on, and hope for GT7 (god knows when)... you're missing out m8

I really don't understand why this thread is necessary. Obviously, very little reading in the rest of the forum was done, or else this thread probably would've never been created. It seems, at least to me, like the reaction towards what we've seen of GT Sport has been mostly positive. Certainly more positive a reaction than GT6 got. Creating a thread to try to band people together to "boycott" Gran Turismo is never going to work, unless Polyphony actually comes out with something that's that horrible. The people that don't want Gran Turismo Sport will just not buy it; you don't need to try to convince people not to buy it just because you don't think they should.

Even worse than the Aries thread :)
:lol: Good one.

To OP: Money talks, not a protest. I'm certain - based on your poll - that the number of people that aren't happy with GT:S is a tiny minority (if scaled up to reflect the audience for GT).

Aries thread?
Dodge Aries thread in the Cool Wall polls. @The87Dodge (somehow) turned it into a huge mudstorm.

To OP: Money talks, not a protest. I'm certain - based on your poll - that the number of people that aren't happy with GT:S is a tiny minority (if scaled up to reflect the audience for GT).

Dodge Aries thread in the Cool Wall polls. @The87Dodge (somehow) turned it into a huge mudstorm.
Oh i see, the thread suddenly became a huge mess.

Hello everyone

I have been a long time Gran Turismo fan since its Playstation 2 days, and have continuously been let down after GT4. PD has ignored many diehard fans for far too long, and the consequences may bite PD in the ass this fall when GTS releases. With other options available on both Xbox One and PS4 racing sim fans have other choices. I want the GtPlanet community to join me in boycotting GTS until some fan requests are confirmed. It is time for us to call out PD for their lack of concern, and its time to request features that should be found in any modern day racing sim. Some of the many changes or additions in GTS we would like to see is a comprehensive single player campaign that includes relevant and fun challenges (we're tired of generic time trials), damage (both cosmetic and mechanical), IMPROVED SOUND, better A.I. THe list goes on and on, listen to your fan's concerns PD or we will move to another franchise.

What you want is Forza, you won't be disappointed in the switch.

I dunno man. I voted no to a boycott, because it's a stupid idea. But I'm not terribly happy with GTS, and as it stands right now I'm not buying it.

Voting no to a boycott is not the same as being happy with GTS.

I dunno man. I voted no to a boycott, because it's a stupid idea. But I'm not terribly happy with GTS, and as it stands right now I'm not buying it.

Voting no to a boycott is not the same as being happy with GTS.
Fair enough - but it does reflect somewhat on how people feel. Only a handful of people are negative enough to start trying a boycott.

This thread is hilarious. It is a game people. If you don't like it, don't buy it. And when people are not buying a product, it doesn't mean it is boycotted. Making an elephant of an ant.

But then again, that happens a lot on Gtplanet lately.....

Why are you guys so against this? He wants to boycott the game, that's perfectly fine. If you disagree, you just vote no. I understand it's not really going to be a massive change, or that his points aren't particularly good, but as a customer he's free to do this and gather other people who agree with him as well.

Why are you guys so against this? He wants to boycott the game, that's perfectly fine. If you disagree, you just vote no. I understand it's not really going to be a massive change, or that his points aren't particularly good, but as a customer he's free to do this and gather other people who agree with him as well.
Because it's one thing to state that you won't be buying a game, but it's another entirely to suggest that others shouldn't just because you don't like it.

Back