• Thread starter rronak95
  • 193 comments

Fan Boycott

• Yes

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 247 87.0%

• Total voters
I know you're familiar with iRacing. $10,000 isn't exactly nothing.
It is compared to leading esports.

Or if Polyphony and Sony are serious about jumpstarting it then they could just do it. If you make it, they will come, as the people say.

Blizzard didn't wait for third parties to start doing sponsored tournaments when they put out Heroes of the Storm to try and compete with the likes of DotA2, they just started hosting their own majors. It's not the size of DotA2 and probably never will be, but a year in it's got a pretty sizeable audience and a number of professional teams worldwide.

Sony and Polyphony are not poor little indies that can't afford to boost their own esports series for the first year. Especially if they're smart about it and make money off advertising and additional sales. I don't see the point in just throwing a game designed for esports into the market and then not backing it all the way.

If they want it to be big don't start small and cross your fingers that it goes viral. Just make it big from the get go. I mean, if you're spending $60 million to make a game like GT5, what is spending a few hundred thousand a year on hosting and prizes for premier events?
I don't see them doing that.

Chicken and egg.

Why would people play if they're not interested? Why wouldn't they watch the current crop of sim racing videos if they are interested?

Millions of people are unlikely to suddenly jump into sim racing with no prizes or other enticements just because it has Gran Turismo on the front. And they might as well go play iRacing or pCARS if they're serious about competing.

http://www.projectcarsesports.com/home/project-cars-esports-gets-eur20000-prize-pool

There might be a large pool of casuals out there that just want to race semi-seriously around a track, but you don't build a proper e-sport without that top echelon of the best of the best. At the moment, I don't see any reason for those players to migrate to GTS.

People follow trends and sim racing hasn't become trendy yet. Mostly because sim racing hasn't really come to console yet and sadly that is mostly GT's fault but they are too arrogant to see the damage they are doing because most people (who have not tried PC simulation) see GT as being the most accurate simulator but don't see it as being anything like the real thing. Another real problem for sim racing is sim racing with a controller is a joke and owning a wheel is still relatively inaccessible to the masses and has been made a little more inaccessible by PS4. Then you also have the apparent leaders in simulation who clearly know nothing about simulation, when you look at their pods they are so far from ideal it is just sad, for example the furthest the display should be from you is touching the back of your wheel base and the FOV should be set so the display simply acts as a window you are looking through into the simulated world. It makes me wonder if the guys at PD have ever tried a real simulation in a real simulator and if the reason they do things so poorly is because they are ignorant and know nothing about simulation. For one thing never having raced with the correct FOV in a sim would absolutely explain why they think iRacing is too hard, because iRacing with the default FOV and a display too far away from you is too hard. You need a realistic setup in a real sim for it to be easy and I'm guessing they are clueless.

But most people don't own wheels and don't know anything about simulation yet and the thought of going out and buying what they consider an expensive wheel and an expensive rig to put it in seems excessive. And while shooting games on a controller are lots of fun, sim racing on a controller isn't really. Perhaps VR will change peoples perspective because VR is a great fit for sim racing and if people try it they will soon want to buy a wheel and the price of a wheel and rig doesn't seem so expensive if you just bought a VR headset and seems like a must have. But then I'm not sure if VR will even go mainstream just yet, might be a few years away still and PSVR will still leave people disappointed for the purpose of sim racing because the resolution is a little too low at the moment.

GTS will be the first GT title on PS4 and they are releasing it as a full title, it had the GT name behind it and it is the first chance for people to experience GT on the PS4. Hopefully this will mean that it sells well. If it sells well the campaign is short enough that most people will then give racing online a shot and that will be the moment of truth, if people enjoy it it could trend, if it trends that is an explosion for online sim racing and that is when I can see 2 things happening. Some of those people will buy wheels and become new sim racers, the money will follow.

For the reasons above I must concede that it is might be a good thing that GT is made easy as long as the majority of its players still do not have a wheel. But that is a chicken egg thing because as long as it is easy the wheel will never be considered as important as it should be. I guess I must concede that as long as the majority of people are couch players sim racing has little chance of exploding but I can only hope that GT Sport will be the title to get people off the couch.

Plenty of iRacers have competed in GT and always placed well in GT Academy with some winners being iRacers. There are different people who sim race, some are more interested in simulating as close as possible and it is unlikely these will even look at a console because console doesn't come close to PC in this area. Others fall more on the racer side of the coin and many are a bit of both. The racer wants competition and I'm pretty sure many will have a go at GT Sport. But then there are those guys who want to dominate so there may be some alien who isn't the number 1 on iRacing but might have a chance on GT Sport, I can think of a guy like this who criticises iRacing (where he is not dominant) but praises the sims that he dominates.

Betcha a twenny GT Sport will be a bestseller.

I'd also be taking this bet if I could. It could even be their worst seller but I think it will sell better than a prologue.

Nah... not worth it. Get Forza 6, Forza Horizon and PCars (or Assetto Corsa) and you'll be set for life. Those games have everything you want in GT: Physics, sounds, customization and a much better car list.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate GT. I just lost all passion for it because I know PD never delivers over the competition. GT did start it all and was the best car game for MANY years; not only that, but also a console seller. You got to give it that.

Today I'm afraid it will be nothing more than a little cult game followed by a few old-time fans that cannot let go (or have all the patience in the world), or those car fans who can only afford a Play Station console.

NAh... not worth it. Get Forza 6, Forza Horizon and PCars (or Assetto Corsa) and you'll be set for life. Those games have everything you want in GT: Physics, sounds, customization and a much better car list.
To be honest, I have FM6 and FH2 and I still play GT6 instead of those.

To be honest, I have FM6 and FH2 and I still play GT6 instead of those.

I can relate and respect that. for many years I refused to try the competition, and even bashed it. But then I found Forza (even Forza 3 and 4) to have all what I ever wished in GT5/6, which was never delivered. Forza 6, despite a few negatives like the weird and repetitive career mode and the HORRIBLE A.I has become my dream car game.

I used to defend GT stating that developing a game isn't easy, and I was as patient as I could be, hoping and BELIEVING that PD would someday give us what we requested and what they promised, but when other games have all those things, then the excuses become unforgivable.

I can relate and respect that. for many years I refused to try the competition, and even bashed it. But then I found Forza (even Forza 3 and 4) to have all what I ever wished in GT5/6, which was never delivered. Forza 6, despite a few negatives like the weird and repetitive career mode and the HORRIBLE A.I has become my dream car game.

I used to defend GT stating that developing a game isn't easy, and I was as patient as I could be, hoping and BELIEVING that PD would someday give us what we requested and what they promised, but when other games have all those things, then the excuses become unforgivable.
What I meant is I've got Forza 6 and FH2 - and I do play them pretty thoroughly - but GT sucks me in more.

Edit: While I appreciate the effort in a sim, you'd figure a yearly release would bug people. It certainly doesn't give the devs a lot of room to nail the day 1 game. IIRC Forza 5 had more patches in a year than GT6 did in 2014?

I won't bother to read the posts here, I'll just say what I voted and why.

No.

Why?
Been playing every single GT from the day GT1 came out. Won't stop now just because GTS has less features and is a smaller game. I for one, like the features of GTS. I also happen to like the quality over quantity even though I will miss the standards. Yes, you heard me. What I will miss the most will be the GT Mode. But hey, GTS will be great, and I'm sure it will be a great eSports game. Can't wait for GT7/8 or whatever the next game after Sport comes though. And I hope that game will be more like the GT games we're used to.

But until then, I'm going to play the hell out of GTS.

What I meant is I've got Forza 6 and FH2 - and I do play them pretty thoroughly - but GT sucks me in more.

Edit: While I appreciate the effort in a sim, you'd figure a yearly release would bug people. It certainly doesn't give the devs a lot of room to nail the day 1 game. IIRC Forza 5 had more patches in a year than GT6 did in 2014?
If it was the same game. Horizon & Motorsport have a 2-year dev. cycle so far, and are different enough to stand on their own.

If it was the same game. Horizon & Motorsport have a 2-year dev. cycle so far, and are different enough to stand on their own.
And of course, I respect that. A two year dev cycle isn't as much time as you'd think.

And of course, I respect that. A two year dev cycle isn't as much time as you'd think.
I didn't say anything that it was a lot of time, either. You said it was a yearly release.

2 years, however, is what Polyphony used to accomplish before the long 6 year journey for GT5 was started. Now the long development time for a GT game has become part of its...charm....

I voted no, because I don't think a boycott of a game is going to achieve anything. PD have shown plenty of times that they aren't interested in what the community wants, so a handful of people boycotting a game that will sell at least a couple of million copies isn't going to even get noticed. What I will do however, is not buy the game. Quite simply, if I don't like what a game has to offer, I won't buy it. I know, radical idea huh? But it's worked so far for me. This gen is to racing games what last gen was to FPS games, we're really spoiled for choice. I already have something like 8 racing titles on my PS4, and plan on buying another two this year, so GTS really isn't offering anything that I like, that I can't already get in the other games I have, and plan to get.

So TL/DR: No, I won't boycott the game, but no I don't plan on buying it.

I for one wont be buying it. I appreciate Kaz's vision up until GT5/6. I bought both and have been disappointed in the lackluster effort in many areas that I just won't rehash. I'm not boycotting PD per se as they will continue to have fans so that would be useless. I just will vote no with my wallet on GTS. Simple really. If they don't want to add features that made past GT games great and put them into one great game then no prob. No point in whining about it as they have shown over the last 10 or so years they will go in the direction they want to regardless of fan input. So no with your wallet or buy it and keep quiet :)

I for one wont be buying it. I appreciate Kaz's vision up until GT5/6. I bought both and have been disappointed in the lackluster effort in many areas that I just won't rehash. I'm not boycotting PD per se as they will continue to have fans so that would be useless. I just will vote no with my wallet on GTS. Simple really. If they don't want to add features that made past GT games great and put them into one great game then no prob. No point in whining about it as they have shown over the last 10 or so years they will go in the direction they want to regardless of fan input. So no with your wallet or buy it and keep quiet :)

Which technically counts as a boycott. I think reading this thread I see some confusion maybe it's just me, but what I see is people saying boycott a game until issues raised since the dawn of time I ironed out properly.

To me what others see is boycott PD(forever)/Shut them down

To which I say I'm bypassing GTS(Major reason because I have a Gaming Laptop and no PS4), but I might not bypass Gran Turismo 7 if GTS is remotely good, and when I say remotely saying people on here are giving it at least 8/10. Either that or they can convince me that it's not GT5 or GT6(Really this one cause it's worse to me than 5).

A boycott is a form of protest. It's possible to just not buy something because you don't want it and for that not to be a protest.

I don't boycott brussels sprouts, I just don't buy them because they taste like demonic turds.
They make you have them the next day aswell :)

Not going to technically boycott it but unlike other GT games it won't be a first day purchase for me. With Battlefield 1 out around the same time I'll be playing that a lot, will probably pick up GT Sport in the PS Store January sale when it's around £25.

I wont boycott the game, but will wait till November and make my decision then, if then there's still no single player mode then more then likely not purchase.

I do wonder how much GTP'ers will drop the franchise now. There was a big part of us that did so when 6 was released, as in that was the first GT game ever that we consciously didn't buy. But reading a lot of people's underwhelming impressions for GTS here, i guess our group of ex GT players will become much bigger again.

I do wonder how much GTP'ers will drop the franchise now. There was a big part of us that did so when 6 was released, as in that was the first GT game ever that we consciously didn't buy. But reading a lot of people's underwhelming impressions for GTS here, i guess our group of ex GT players will become much bigger again.

More so now that there's real alternatives to Gran Turismo like Project Cars and Assetto Corsa.

I enjoy both. The point is that I'm far more looking forward to Battlefield 1 than GT Sport. If it was a proper Gran Turismo 7 then things may be different, but GT Lite? I'll take Battlefield instead thanks.
Off topic but I saw the trailer for BF1 yesterday and it's the first FPS I'm interested in since the original World at War..looks great.

A boycott is a form of protest. It's possible to just not buy something because you don't want it and for that not to be a protest.

I don't boycott brussels sprouts, I just don't buy them because they taste like demonic turds.

I will agree, but I don't know if I like the food comparison that much. I guess I say that as food doesn't really do anything to you(Forget about the gmo vs non-gmo stuff). Same with games I don't buy it's almost like they don't exist, but if I've knowingly bought games within the series(GT1-4), and I close my wallet on that knowing full on that I truly wanted the game like some here have stated. I feel like that could count as a boycott.

Still regardless I do agree with what you said.

I will agree, but I don't know if I like the food comparison that much. I guess I say that as food doesn't really do anything to you(Forget about the gmo vs non-gmo stuff). Same with games I don't buy it's almost like they don't exist, but if I've knowingly bought games within the series(GT1-4), and I close my wallet on that knowing full on that I truly wanted the game like some here have stated. I feel like that could count as a boycott.

Exactly. Whether it's a boycott or not depends entirely on your intention, not your actions.

The action is the same in either case, but if someone is not buying because they hope to effect change on future iterations of Gran Turismo it may be a boycott.
If they're not buying just because they don't think it's a very good game, then it's almost certainly not.

The food thing is the same. Someone *could* boycott certain foods (*cough*Nestle*cough*) because they want to effect some change. Or they could just not buy them because they taste like hairballs gently marinated in house paint.

It seems that he is saying that he is more interested in a different game releasing at the same time than one he's not impressed with. More curious is how you're acting as if that is an inconceivable prospect.

I was not questioning his preference for other games, only his blatant disregard for GT Sport or "GT Lite" as he would have it, when in reality he really knows nothing of the game yet no matter what he has seen on the net.

Why? The main point I didn't see the OP address was how this is basically a "clean slate game". Which means that most of what they would have in a full scale game can be absent without any true objection, because it's a prologue game. So what's the point of boycotting this when GT7 should be the true test of judgement, if said issues the OP has are still there.

Last edited:
Back