British Touring Car Championship Game and Esport Series Confirmed, Scheduled for 2022

I used to rush home from work on a saturday excited to watch the touring cars on tv when it looked like this, the later years went rubbish to me and my mates...

touring cars.jpg

Regarding the quality of modern BTCC racing, this was the battle for 7th in Sunday's Race 2:

If online play delivers that kind of action on a regular basis - along with the accessibility that came with GT Sport's Daily/FIA events - then I'm definitely on board.

Was a great day of racing. Great drive from Sutton there and the Hyundai certainly showed some good promise in race 3.

Got me pumped, shame we have to wait so long.

Hey everyone: @Famine and I will be interviewing Stephen Hood - the President of Motorsport Games - later today around 1:00pm UK time.

If you have any specific questions about the studio's plans for BTCC, share them with us and we will try to ask them. The interview session is being recorded and we plan on sharing it next week.

Hey everyone: @Famine and I will be interviewing Stephen Hood - the President of Motorsport Games - later today around 1:00pm UK time.

If you have any specific questions about the studio's plans for BTCC, share them with us and we will try to ask them. The interview session is being recorded and we plan on sharing it next week.
Are they focussing exclusively on BTCC, or are they planning on the whole TOCA tour (BTCC, formula ford, Ginetta supercup, Carrera cup, Clio cup)
And what side the sim-arcade spectrum are they going to focus on?

Since it has been discussed a fair bit in this thread and it now looks unlikely a couple of the fan favourites will race again. Are there any plans to include classic content or will the focus be fully on the 2022 grid?

Will there be an option to create and 'run' your own team similar to Race Driver GRID or F1 2020?

Will there be support for motion controls with the DualShock 4/DualSense?

@Jordan @Famine

I won't repeat ones that have already been posted.

What season will the game focus on? Will it just be one or will it feature a couple similar to Assetto Corsa Competizione?

Do you have your own game engine or will you be using something like Unreal or Madness?

With so few tracks involved with BTCC, will they be laser scanned for absolute accuracy with possible additional layouts to give a bit extra content?

Having previously worked on the F1 games, what experiences and ideas can be bought from your experience working on that?

Will there be a release roadmap, content reveals, feature reveals, beta opportunities etc?

Any plans for VR support? (insert angry "No VR no Buy!" meme here :lol:)

I'm looking forward to this sim. It is a sim, isn't it?

No one knows. Hopefully it caters to all abilities as many different age groups and people of varying gwme abilities follow BTCC so it should definitely be accessible for all. Along the lines of F1 2020 as @Scaff has mentioned would perfect.

I'm looking forward to this sim. It is a sim, isn't it?

Hopefully we should find out where it sits on the arcade -> sim spectrum when @Jordan publishes the interview - that was one of the questions posted here.

While I'd love it to be a full on sim, in all honesty that will only sell to a hardcore few. Realistically as has already been said, something in the F1 2020 ballpark of realism would be fine for me.

I just hope he doesn't say "all the sim you could ever need" in the interview :lol:

Hopefully we should find out where it sits on the arcade -> sim spectrum when @Jordan publishes the interview - that was one of the questions posted here.

While I'd love it to be a full on sim, in all honesty that will only sell to a hardcore few. Realistically as has already been said, something in the F1 2020 ballpark of realism would be fine for me.

I just hope he doesn't say "all the sim you could ever need" in the interview :lol:

Fortunately I think they are a pretty honest bunch, almost to a fault if I recall in the F1 2011-2013 era.

The problem with hardcore sims is they just don't sell, people are savvy and do their research before dumping £60 on a game and if they don't feel they'll get their worth they won't bother. Its been so long since the last BTCC focussed Toca game, there's a lot of casual players and who played them as some of thebbest PS1 games who will be dying to play a new one, lots of peolle who were younger then and like has been said the diversity of BTCC fans is huge. They have a real opportunity to knock it out the park with this.

Fortunately I think they are a pretty honest bunch, almost to a fault if I recall in the F1 2011-2013 era.

The problem with hardcore sims is they just don't sell, people are savvy and do their research before dumping £60 on a game and if they don't feel they'll get their worth they won't bother. Its been so long since the last BTCC focussed Toca game, there's a lot of casual players and who played them as some of thebbest PS1 games who will be dying to play a new one, lots of peolle who were younger then and like has been said the diversity of BTCC fans is huge. They have a real opportunity to knock it out the park with this.

Completely agree, and if I'm honest as long it's not full on arcade handling then I won't be too fussed. I just want a new BTCC game dammit, and the fact that we finally have one coming is very exciting. 2022 feels a long way away though!

Sounds promising its a long wait but good to know its in development and not going all out hardcore sim either. Hope it sports a 120 frame rate!

Anyone else almost mistake Jordan for Colin Turkington?

I didn't, but now that you've said it...

Wonder if the madness engine could be used for this game?

I was wondering the same, would also open the opportunity of using existing scan data for Oulton, Donington, Snetterton, Brands & Knockhill if SMS were open to sharing that along with the engine (though Knockhill has been resurfaced since SMS scanned it, so technically should really get a new scan...)

Stephen was being pretty coy about the existing engine that they are using as a base, but other than Madness is there another modern engine out there to be used? Presumably Reiza had reasons for dropping their previous rFactor2 basis in favour of it, and I'm not sure what other options there are.

Shame there's no word yet on VR support - I'd like to think that by 2022 it would be a pretty standard thing in a racing game, but it would be nice to see that confirmed.

Last edited:
This could be a great game so I will be following developments with interest. I am most interested in the classic content - I got the impression from the interview that there is a good possibility of classic content from the 1990's onwards. The BTCC goes back to 1958 and some incredible battles were fought on track with great cars in the sixties and seventies. I very much hope that the classic content includes old layouts of Silverstone and defunct tracks like Crystal Palace , London - together with iconic cars like the Mini Cooper, Lotus Cortina, Jaguar MK2 saloon, Ford Mustang or Falcon etc. etc.

I didn't, but now that you've said it...

I was wondering the same, would also open the opportunity of using existing scan data for Oulton, Donington, Snetterton, Brands & Knockhill if SMS were open to sharing that along with the engine (though Knockhill has been resurfaced since SMS scanned it, so technically should really get a new scan...)

Stephen was being pretty coy about the existing engine that they are using as a base, but other than Madness is there another modern engine out there to be used? Presumably Reiza had reasons for dropping their previous rFactor2 basis in favour of it, and I'm not sure what other options there are.

Shame there's no word yet on VR support - I'd like to think that by 2022 it would be a pretty standard thing in a racing game, but it would be nice to see that confirmed.

I think Unreal Engine would be also a candidate since its also being used in ACC. As long as it isn't the Unity engine that's part of NASCAR Heat.

I think Unreal Engine would be also a candidate since its also being used in ACC. As long as it isn't the Unity engine that's part of NASCAR Heat.

He said in the video it won't be Unity ;).

What I'm getting from the tech is it will be based around existing engines as expected but tweaked to their needs which makes sense.

Many thanks @Jordan and @Famine really great interview and thank you for pitching my questions as well. Certainly got the answers I was looking for. Exciting to hear laser scanned circuits is a distinct possibility and its great to hear they intend to balance the simualtion which is perfect. He seems keen on having a create your team mode as well which is very exciting and he sounds keen on the support series as well which will help make a deeper career mode.

Good to hear about classic cars, I guess as 2022 is still a way away yet, while I'm sure they'll be able to have a good guess at what cars will be around for that season so they can do some work on classics without sacrificing the main series.

But great work, really awesome to see GTPlanet get the exclusive on this.

Back