Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Legendary
  • 10,323 comments
  • 486,293 views
I rarely have issues downing a guy with one shot to the upper chest/head with my WA2000, and almost never more than 2 shots no matter where. When I do it's often connection related. As in the guy will be moving across in front of me and I fire, and get the hit marker seconds later when he's almost out of my scope. The times that give me real trouble are when they're real close to me. I can't hit a guy who looks as big as a house to save my life.
 
I don't have any trouble in regular TDM's with the guns not dropping people myself. It all depends where you hit them and the gun. Put stopping power on the Famas and it will only take one burst and they are down, 3 rounds are the usual from a decent gun like it or the Scar etc.
 
It exaggerates perks and differences in connection.

Say you fire off 7 rounds. Connection's a little squiffy, but 2 hit, the guy's down and dead. Doesn't matter who you shot or with what.

Now in softcore you fire off 7 rounds. Connection's a little squiffy, but 2 hit. The guy's still running. Unless you have stopping power and he's been hit recently, in which case he's down. Though if he has painkiller, he's still up. Oh and by the way, he's closed the distance and has just knifed you in the penis. G'night.




First softcore game I ever played, I shot a guy across the map at Highrise - windows one side to windows the other, so no more than 100yd - with a Barrett .50 cal in the head. And he kept going.

Silenced, FMJed EBR last night at Demolition I put three into the chest of a guy I play with a lot and he was still up long enough to knife me, and two into the head of a guy defusing the bomb before he died. Sureshot got 2 HBAR rounds into me once and I noobtubed him before any more reached me - 2 HBAR rounds should be death, and probably for anyone standing behind you too - and I was only packing SitRep, Danger Close and Scavenger.

I just can't stand how many rounds it takes to even stop someone in softcore - and I couldn't in COD4 either. Nearly snapped a controller clean in half in a private game through frustration with how feeble the guns are.

The EBR example is classic 'magic bullets' by the sounds, many of you may or may not be aware of exactly what the term means, but 3 shots downs a guy in soft core with the EBR, end of. Chances are on his screen you didn't fire 3, this occurs especially against commando users but still often with knifers. There's not alot we can do about magic bullets it's just a case of deal with it.

Of course the hardcore V normal is always preference, but I simply don't see that it's flat out wrong although I'm not suggesting that you said it is so. MW2 isn't realistic, it isn't overly tactical and that's not what I personally expect from it. I've said this before when discussing COD, it's not a tactical game in a tradional sense, it's COD tactical. A balance of precision, aggression and speed in the way you move, react and of course shooting. You may think a guy should die from 2 rounds of the HBAR, and I would agree if this was the real world but it's a game after all and you can't run around sprinting all day because you have a perk called Marathon and then call in a tactical nuke on a 12 person battle. Nobody in core has some huge advantage over anyone else because you're still on the same level, if it takes 3-4 shots to kill with the HBAR, it does for anyone else using the HBAR.

Yes differences are exagerated but I personally find with HCTDM that it ends up being very campy with people endless staying in one position sometimes, and similarly I don't like all SnD because it's not very dynamic for me and if I want a no respawn tactical game, I get on Socom. To me hardcore exagerates how easy it is to shoot a guy once on this particular game and so I stick with core for most of the time as with this games physics and handling I find it to easy to bag kills with any weapon at any range.
 
You need to look at your set up because your the only person experiencing "choppy video", and fast runners? You don't turn into the Flash when you are using Lightweight and Marathon pro, I have never had a single problem killing or aiming or anything in between with people using them. When they had that and the carepackage glitch it made it slightly hard to hit them but not ridiculous. You always seem to have a complaint or a problem with the game thats keeping you from doing well, if its that bad just sell it or put it in the microwave.

No, you're wrong. I'm not the only one experiencing the choppy video and glitches. Other's I'm playing with experience it too, and complain about it during the game. There are numerous videos on YouTube about the choppiness, glitches and lag that ruins this game for some of us. It's happening way too much to tolerate anymore.

I've given IW enough time to fix it, and they still haven't. That tells me it's not getting any better. Therefor, I have nothing to look forward to. That means I either take it as it is, or leave. Right now I'm getting ready to leave. Though I like the game, I'm too annoyed with all the problems. That's one of the main reasons why people don't play a certain game anymore.
 
I did a quick Google for "mw2 choppy video", and 99% of the reports seem to be from PC users... which is to be expected if the graphics card isn't up to the task. On the consoles you won't have choppy video if your 360/PS3 is in good nick, because if it was a problem with the game everyone would be experiencing "choppy video".

It's kinda hard to fix something that affects very few people. ;)


edit: new tweet from Robert Bowling:
Ugh. This care package exploit is becoming the bane of my existence, but not for long. @infinityward is working on a permanent fix for it.

Fingers crossed, eh?
 
Last edited:
No, you're wrong. I'm not the only one experiencing the choppy video and glitches. Other's I'm playing with experience it too, and complain about it during the game. There are numerous videos on YouTube about the choppiness, glitches and lag that ruins this game for some of us. It's happening way too much to tolerate anymore.

I have nearly a week's worth of play time on you, and as I said, I've only experienced the choppy video in games with bad hosts, and even then only in Ground War. Sometimes there can be lag, but like I said, generally the host. And yeah, the glitches are a hassle.

As breakpoint said, you've had something to 🤬 about as an excuse to why you can't hit anything, or kill anything, or whatever. At first it was people "hacking" kill streaks, then your special controller broke (which you claimed 90% of good players probably use... I have a guy that uses a normal PS3 controller... 26% accuracy), now its choppy video and lag and glitchers. I think the reason you can't hit anything is you don't take the time to aim - 10.84% versus my 18.5x% and I'm a PC FPS gamer come over to a console.

Honestly, I think you just need to adjust your play style.
 
I did a quick Google for "mw2 choppy video", and 99% of the reports seem to be from PC users... which is to be expected if the graphics card isn't up to the task. On the consoles you won't have choppy video if your 360/PS3 is in good nick, because if it was a problem with the game everyone would be experiencing "choppy video".

It's kinda hard to fix something that affects very few people. ;)

It's far more than just, "very few people."

I get this in at least a third of my games. The "Magic Bullet" in nearly all my games.




edit: new tweet from Robert Bowling:


Fingers crossed, eh?

They should just remove the care packages altogether as an individual killstreak reward. Have it in the game, but only as an 'automatic' reward for the entire team. Say, if somebody on the team reaches 10 kills, reward the team with a care package that replaces ammo, grenades, etc.

They should have it as a team reward. For example, a team scores 10 kills without a single player getting killed, and a ammo crate drops for 30 seconds for everyone to use. After 25 straight kills, an emergency care package drop. Then, the counter resets to zero, and do it all over again.

Or, wait for there to be 20 kills between both teams and have an automatic drop in the center of the map (center between the two teams) and have the players try to reach it first and fight for it. I figure that'll give us 5-7 care package drops, alternating between the ammo only crates and the emergency crates that contain something like a UAV, EMP, Harrier Attack, or AC130.
 
edit: new tweet from Robert Bowling:


Fingers crossed, eh?

They could of fixed it way earlier by not letting you climb while holding care packages, which is a key move to glitch infinite packages for the second and third methods. Hopefully they should find a better way than that though.

Oh and I have to agree with Azure and others here Solid, you don't seem to have grasped the basics of how this game operates yet, try different tactics if your frustrated.

EDIT: Also the videos are nothing special, the first is usually when the connection is lost or going, I have it often but it doesn't effect the way I play because everyone gets that. The second video is just a bad player really, he also conveniently skips the killcams which would clearly show nothing "Magic" is going on, just his internet connection is a little laggy. Once again I have that happen often but I just switch up my playstyle and I'm not really effected.
 
Last edited:
10.84% versus my 18.5x% and I'm a PC FPS gamer come over to a console.

I got my accuracy % above you last night :)

Also got my K/D ratio up to 1.60 last night.

I saw you were in one game with me on karachi last night too. I was trying out my stealth class that game. I was using a silenced UMP with CB and scrambler. I think I'm gonna have to ditch scrambler for ninja as this one guy got wise and pulled out a heart beat sensor. I had been using scrambler so that if I take out one guy and his buddy is near by he wont notice the little triangle that was his team mate disappear. It works sometimes...
 
The EBR example is classic 'magic bullets' by the sounds, many of you may or may not be aware of exactly what the term means, but 3 shots downs a guy in soft core with the EBR, end of. Chances are on his screen you didn't fire 3, this occurs especially against commando users but still often with knifers. There's not alot we can do about magic bullets it's just a case of deal with it.

All three registered, as opposed to normal magic bullet MO - you think you fired but you hit nothing and the killcam shows you didn't fire at all. Dude was still up.
 
They could of fixed it way earlier by not letting you climb while holding care packages, which is a key move to glitch infinite packages for the second and third methods. Hopefully they should find a better way than that though.

Oh and I have to agree with Azure and others here Solid, you don't seem to have grasped the basics of how this game operates yet, try different tactics if your frustrated.

EDIT: Also the videos are nothing special, the first is usually when the connection is lost or going, I have it often but it doesn't effect the way I play because everyone gets that.
Maybe you can tolerate a game of yours just disappearing, but I can't. Not anymore. Too many times it has happened to accept it as, "Oh well, no online games are perfect."


The second video is just a bad player really, he also conveniently skips the killcams which would clearly show nothing "Magic" is going on, just his internet connection is a little laggy. Once again I have that happen often but I just switch up my playstyle and I'm not really effected.

No, he does show the killcam footage. It shows him shooting and hitting his target, but the kill cam shows him not shooting at all. You think the problem is he's a bad player? Ridiculous.

Hmmm, in most games my tactics work just fine. But, since I have problems with lag, and such, I have to change my tactic to make my performance more consistent? To what? What is the tactic to deal with lag? The guy in the video said to, "Just deal with it." Unacceptable.
 
Last edited:

Both of those are because of lag.

The first one is the result of a poor host (I've experienced that a lot), and the second one is the lag between his system and yours. I've had numerous cases where I've hit a guy with half a clip, only to see on the killcam that I never even got my gun up - that's because my connection was lagging behind his a little bit, which meant what I was seeing on my screen was slightly behind what he saw on his.

With that in mind, never run at the host head-on unless your connection is perfect. If he sees you get killed on his screen, you are dead.
 
Maybe you can tolerate a game of yours just disappearing, but I can't. Not anymore. Too many times it has happened to accept it as, "Oh well, no online games are perfect."

Not really to be honest I'm sick of waiting for games to start only to end before anyone moves because of connection problems, really sucks alot.


No, he does show the killcam footage. It shows him shooting and hitting his target, but the kill cam shows him not shooting at all. You think the problem is he's a bad player? Ridiculous.

Hmmm, in most games my tactics work just fine. But, since I have problems with lag, and such, I have to change my tactic to make my performance more consistent? To what? What is the tactic to deal with lag? The guy in the video said to, "Just deal with it." Unacceptable.

He shows it twice, once he was shot by a guy with a sniper rifle whom he never even spotted, perfectly normal kill there. Leading up to getting shot he was waltzing all over that building completely ignoring the guy in plain view. The next is just slight lag, he pulls up the sights but hardly fired any rounds into his opponent, whereas the opponent had spotted him way before and started firing much before too, again nothing wrong with that. The rest of the time I saw nothing wrong with any of the kills or deaths in that video.

Easiest way to deal with lag is to not move much. I'm not saying camp but only move when your team start leaving you in the open, don't run ahead.
 
Easiest way to deal with lag is to not move much. I'm not saying camp but only move when your team start leaving you in the open, don't run ahead.

That is pretty good advice too follow.
 
Maybe you can tolerate a game of yours just disappearing, but I can't. Not anymore. Too many times it has happened to accept it as, "Oh well, no online games are perfect."

No, he does show the killcam footage. It shows him shooting and hitting his target, but the kill cam shows him not shooting at all. You think the problem is he's a bad player? Ridiculous.

Hmmm, in most games my tactics work just fine. But, since I have problems with lag, and such, I have to change my tactic to make my performance more consistent? To what? What is the tactic to deal with lag? The guy in the video said to, "Just deal with it." Unacceptable.

Sorry physics dictate latency. You cannot have instant communication where distance. If you are having choppy play I suggest you look into your home network setup. The issue is a bit with netcode too, but not as much as you are making out.

And most all of us play on this playing field, yet we seem to manage just fine. I've met people like you, that always have some reason why they died - the controller was sticky, there was lag, someone is cheating, or camping, or being lame, or doesn't have a life, or or or.

How about this - record some of your games for us. Let us judge if there is choppy game play or if you just are not using cover wisely, checking lines, etc.

Otherwise, based on some other people's opinions it seems too, you just are :bleep:'ing to find excuses.
 
Anyone ever shoot down enemy air support with a predator missile?
 
Anyone ever shoot down enemy air support with a predator missile?

I've done that plus had air support take out enemy air support, Pavelow Vs Harrier etc.
Also on rare occasion taken 2 enemy air supports out with 1 Stinger.
 
The guy in the video said to, "Just deal with it." Unacceptable.

He clearly recommends slowing down your game play style towards of end of the video. Advice further support by posters here and I agree, perhaps this is why I find it less of an issue as I generally don't run and gun to much but I still go out there and get the job done without camping.

The choppy gameplay and rubber banding effect where you seemingly have little control over your player is caused by a bad host, host migration usually follows, if you're consistently having issues with these things, somethings not right with your own connection. If it's not to often but the host doesn't swap, just quit, find a better connection game, you only lose some XP you can gain back later rather then playing in a useless game of lag, it sometimes happens especially when playing with parties which involve foreign players.

Playing alone or with a host of the party who's local ish to you (not like next door local, but in your country or region) usually results in generally good connections for the majority of the games. Avoid Ground War for more consistent connections and stick with the 12 player modes or less.

If your internets fine (hit select and look at the number of bars you have, 3-4 is fine), you're getting generally smooth games in terms of actually how the game runs, smooth movement etc. and you're still getting killed, magic bullets or not, chances are you're doing something wrong in the way you play. We all have problems with magic bullets, we all remember alot of deaths by it rather then a normal death which we soon forget about but we all experience it reasonably often but it's not ruining our experiences because it's not happening to the point of not being able to kill guys as normal.



Edit: Also you can take down air support with the AC130 which is always nice :sly: I make a habit of Predator missiling air support if I get the chance, it's more helpful to the team then just bagging some kills.
 
EDIT: Also the videos are nothing special, the first is usually when the connection is lost or going, I have it often but it doesn't effect the way I play because everyone gets that. The second video is just a bad player really, he also conveniently skips the killcams which would clearly show nothing "Magic" is going on, just his internet connection is a little laggy. Once again I have that happen often but I just switch up my playstyle and I'm not really effected.

I have experienced both of those incidents in both videos. The first has to do with the host having a bad connection and the second could be many things, including bad connection with the host, slow connection on your side, some combination of the two, etc.

No, he does show the killcam footage. It shows him shooting and hitting his target, but the kill cam shows him not shooting at all. You think the problem is he's a bad player? Ridiculous.

Hmmm, in most games my tactics work just fine. But, since I have problems with lag, and such, I have to change my tactic to make my performance more consistent? To what? What is the tactic to deal with lag? The guy in the video said to, "Just deal with it." Unacceptable.

Are you sure the lag problems are not originating from your side? Part of the time I know that my connection is less than stellar for whatever reason and my game suffers because of it. I normally have a pretty good connection, but sometimes it seems my provider is not doing there job and providing as good as a connection as they should.

Dragonistic
He clearly recommends slowing down your game play style towards of end of the video. Advice further support by posters here and I agree, perhaps this is why I find it less of an issue as I generally don't run and gun to much but I still go out there and get the job done without camping.

This is a bit of advice I need to work on. The only problem I have when I slow down is I tend to not run into anyone and not get many kills. Maybe this would be different if I played game modes other than Demolition or Domination more often.
 
The "choppy video" your showed there SolidL and the "magic bullets" are called LAG. Its not the games fault, its the internet connection dropping from the host e.g. host migration. And I only had those problems when I was leaching wifi playing the game, now that I have actual net at my house I haven't had a single problem with it. Allot more people have problems on the PS3 than the 360 also, sony needs to work on the free network they have. Have you looked at your NAT type if your using a router? You might need to foward some ports.
 
Last edited:
I find it works very well in Domination. You just need to know the traffic areas and how to skirt around them while being able to exploit them. Once you get the down you can drive people crazy by picking them off from a distance nice and safely, or ambushing them at closer ranges if you prefer.
 
I found out the other night that its not a good idea for me to play drunk. I tend to just run wild and run straight into fire fights instead of dashing around the side and flanking like I normally do. I don't really care if my KD goes up or down but if I did I would be pissed at myself for last saturday night cause I ruined it with evan williams....
 
I've done that plus had air support take out enemy air support, Pavelow Vs Harrier etc.
Also on rare occasion taken 2 enemy air supports out with 1 Stinger.

Harrier works well against "Chopper Gunner". It's a shame I've had it happen both ways. :irked:
 
Harrier works well against "Chopper Gunner". It's a shame I've had it happen both ways. :irked:

The Harrier is insane. I've seen it take out Pavelows and Chopper Gunners in mere moments. Honestly, I feel it needs to be toned down, or the attack Helicopter needs some redeeming feature added.

Also, anyone else have issues shooting down Harriers on Underpass? I've put three stingers towards one Harrier and had them all miss just barely. Drives me crazy sometimes.

The AC130 is great for dealing air support. I've dropped Chopper gunners and Pavelows numerous times with it. I just wish on some maps, like Rundown, you could still cover the entire map in fire power, because there are areas out in the open that you just can't target sometimes.
 
If I'm such a 'bad player looking for ****ing excuses' then tell me why, on occasion, I can score 24-3 or 31-4? Did I magically get briefly better? Lucky?

How come, I've offered to play with you guys, in the past, yet few takers, if any? I once interloped on one of your private games recently and came out on top with the best kill-death ratio. Do I still suck? No. I know I'm an 'OK' player, and not the best. But, that's certainly no excuse to go 11-34 on some games, now is it? The games I do that poorly in are the games that have the most "LAG," "magic bullets" and choppy (i.e. strobe-like video), yet I'm just ranting and finding excuses? Absurd.

OK, I have to check my router for the NAT type. I once had a problem with the game not allowing me to play because the NAT type was 'too poor' and it didn't 'accept the packets needed' to continue, whatever the hell that means. I did some research and found nothing that helped me. I came here to ask for help and got nothing. So, once more, where can I go to learn what NAT type means and what's the function so I can better understand what it is and what I can do to improve it. If I can get anything more than just vague answers, maybe I can find a solution. BTW, my NAT type is always 'moderate' and again, I have no idea how to change it to improve.

I wanted to know if there was any correlation between connection speed and service, as well what router and NAT type people had. Very few bothered to list the information. So, research was finished. You were no help.

I realize most of you just don't give a crap. I also think most of you are just as clueless. OK, I'll go elsewhere. In the meantime, I challenge any of you to a fight. I again, challenge any of you to join me in a challenge online with battle against another clan or team. You can see for yourself how well or poorly I do.

In final comment, I'm sick to death of the problems and inconsistency with this game. I think it's just time to move on. However, sometimes this game can be fun, but the bad is ruining any of the fun I'm having and nobody is of any help.
 
BTW, my NAT type is always 'moderate' and again, I have no idea how to change it to improve.
Open ports in your firewall (if you have one) and your modem/router. As soon as I opened my modem's ports, I went from strict NAT to open.

You need to open these ports:
TCP 80
TCP 443
TCP 5223
UDP 3478 -3479
UDP 3658

There's a pictorial guide at http://portforward.com/ - look for your modem/router in the list, and then search for Playstation Network. You can usually ignore the bit about static IPs, I ignored it for my modem and it still worked fine.
 
Since other games usually require different ports, I stuck my PS3 in the DMZ of my router, giving it unrestricted access to the internet (note: the vice-versa is also true ;)).

Also, lag is always an issue with P2P-based online games. The only person with no lag at all is the one hosting the game, thus gaining an advantage (0 ping) over people joining from other locations. This could also be a reason why you score excellent one time, and suck another.

And guess what, there are even people deliberately downloading stuff when hosting a game to screw up the connection for others; since it doesn't effect them, having 0 ping on their hosted game. 👎 Lame, I know, but it's quite common (just check some of the SF4 forums).

Now you understand why the pc people got so upset when MW2 didn't include dedicated servers (that don't suffer from the above mentioned crap)? ;)

I can still remember the days playing BF2 completely lag-free on a Netherlands-based dedicated server with a ping of around 5ms, in 2005. Things have certainly 'improved' over the years. ;)

I'll stop ranting now. :p
 
I started getting really pissed off after a few games tonight. My kill/death ratio kept dropping even after games where I was positive. I think I was only negative maybe 2 games tonight and it still dropped. I finally had to quit when it fell to 1.70.

Why does this happen? Am I Wrong in thinking if I was say for example 12/10 that it shouldn't drop?
 
Back