Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Legendary
  • 10,323 comments
  • 486,336 views
Unless your risk taking gets you killed before anything else. I'm much more impressed by someone that goes 15-0 than someone that goes 30-20.
 
Well I focus on winning and not my K/D ratio or what others might think of my K/D ratio.
 
Am I alone in this thinking - It is not how many times you kill that wins matches, but how few times you die?
If we are talking about Team Deathmatches, I do think the kills are way overrated. At the same time, I think the numbers of kills & deaths are just about equally critical to winning. My philosophy on that is, you want as many kills as least amount of deaths allow. Basically, you will take as many kills as the game, or the other team give you. I just don't believe in overstretching myself to go look for extra kills, if I'm going to die 15 times doing it.
You see it all the time. Often it's the guys at the top of the scoreboards that are the weak link. You might get 3 guys on a team who are scoring 20+ kills - but their playing style also means they get 21+ deaths. That's fine if the opposing team are poor, but if the opposing side has 3 players with 18+ kills but only 12+ deaths, your win or loss will come down to your players lower down the scoreboard keeping up a better K/D ratio, even if they're only getting 6 or 7 kills.
I know exactly what you are talking about, but there are exceptions. Many times, I'd be on the team with the #1 player who dies bunch of times, but we win with me as the #2 player racking up kill-to-death ratio of close to 10. I couldn't have done that, if our #1 player didn't mix up the match by being the aggressor. #1 player keeping the opposition busy, let's me(the #2) pick up the easy, cheap kills, while keeping the numbers of my deaths low.
If you are playing FFA or TD yes, but in objective based game mode K/D ratio is unimportant. In domination I sometimee have more deaths then kills, but thats beacause I take huge risk to protect and capture bases. I have many on my friends list with high K/D ratio, some more then twice of what I got. That doesnt mean they are twice as good as me does it... many focus too much on K/D ratio IMO.
I agree with you completely. Having said that, I am a Team Deathmatch player. While the k/d is not everything, as player who goes 2-1, k/d of 2, is contributing only 100 points, it is still pretty critical part of the game.
 
If we are talking about Team Deathmatches, I do think the kills are way overrated. At the same time, I think the numbers of kills & deaths are just about equally critical to winning. My philosophy on that is, you want as many kills as least amount of deaths allow. Basically, you will take as many kills as the game, or the other team give you. I just don't believe in overstretching myself to go look for extra kills, if I'm going to die 15 times doing it.

My philosophy is to maintain a relatively sound KD. However, I think basically the spread is more important than the KD, ala the guy that is 6-0-1 is less useful to the team than the guy that is 18-2-6, despite having a KD that is twice as high, as one player is giving only a 5 kill lead to 12 kill lead.

Spread > KD in TDM. Though the guy that is running around with a KD of 1 that is getting a lot of kills is generally preventing kill streaks. Generally, which is helpful.
 
I know exactly what you are talking about, but there are exceptions. Many times, I'd be on the team with the #1 player who dies bunch of times, but we win with me as the #2 player racking up kill-to-death ratio of close to 10. I couldn't have done that, if our #1 player didn't mix up the match by being the aggressor. #1 player keeping the opposition busy, let's me(the #2) pick up the easy, cheap kills, while keeping the numbers of my deaths low.

Well thats true. Some of the hardest teams to play against are the ones with a good cross range of playing styles. A team with 2 or 3 guys rushing, especially if at least one of them is just sprinting all over the map with guns akimbo, a couple playing a more tactical, intelligent roll, skirting around the opposition and flanking them, and one or two sniping from a distance and shooting down air-support is pretty unbeatable.
 
My philosophy is to maintain a relatively sound KD. However, I think basically the spread is more important than the KD, ala the guy that is 6-0-1 is less useful to the team than the guy that is 18-2-6, despite having a KD that is twice as high, as one player is giving only a 5 kill lead to 12 kill lead.

Spread > KD in TDM. Though the guy that is running around with a KD of 1 that is getting a lot of kills is generally preventing kill streaks. Generally, which is helpful.
I didn't call it spread, but that is what I was saying. K/D is big, but not as big as the points you bring in overall.

Very true about the guys getting lot of kills also. But of course, that is a double edged sword. I've observed plenty of players like that who are also contributing to the other teams' killstreak with their large number of deaths.

Edit: Aww, shiitake. I did mean to mention about the overall points you bring in, and I thought I typed it, but I just went back, and looks like I forgot add that bit. :lol: Sorry about that Azure! :p
Well thats true. Some of the hardest teams to play against are the ones with a good cross range of playing styles. A team with 2 or 3 guys rushing, especially if at least one of them is just sprinting all over the map with guns akimbo, a couple playing a more tactical, intelligent roll, skirting around the opposition and flanking them, and one or two sniping from a distance and shooting down air-support is pretty unbeatable.
Yeah, mixed offense style is generally a good idea. Of course, we sometimes see some teams just dominate by rushing, too, but that rarely happens. :D
 
I always look at spread when thinking of the win too, any kill above deaths is equal to 100 points contributed towards the lead. For example if you win 7500-6000, and you yourself got 15-12, you contributed 300 to the 1500 winning margin.
 
T.A I think your misunderstanding Volcano.
Kd is important in tdm but games like domination and demolition it doesn't mean jack.
I've seen games where someones had a score of 10-30 but still captured double the points to someone who has had a game of 30-5 because their the ones who are taking the risk in the objective based games and most importantly winning them for you.

Tdm is a different story but then you see players getting match scores of 6-1 8-2 and boasting of their KD.
Don't forget there is a time limit on tdm and the guy who's getting scores like 25-18 is getting your team to that 7500 points abit quicker.
 
Speaking of K/D, I played MW2 for the first time in a couple of weeks and naturally started off crap... then I unlocked Bling Pro. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeellllloooooooooooo akimbo+extended mag Glocks :D

Went 25-13 in my first game with them IIRC, and despite a horror first few games (going 1-6 and stuff like that), my K/D actually went up to 0.69 :lol: Completed Vet I on the Glocks too (500 kills). Might start playing with the AA-12 now :D
 
I've seen games where someones had a score of 10-30 but still captured double the points to someone who has had a game of 30-5 because their the ones who are taking the risk in the objective based games and most importantly winning them for you.

Like me... :D
I don't give a flying *four letter profanity* about my K/D and remember that game of Demolition in Favela? I think I came out with about 30 deaths but managed about 3 or 4 crucial plants/defusals.
Which, if I do say so myslef, won us the match.
:)
 
Last edited:
I did start a series of comedy with my fall. I can't believe you missed the replay of my kill, as that one brought out laughters as well. We had just one guy left on the other team, he was camping just outside the building I was camping in. I see something sticking out of the wall, it's the other guy laying down on the ground, but the rookie kept turning around, getting his leg in & out of the wall. I had FMJ on my RPD, so I blasted him thru the wall. :lol:

the death cam didnt show the clipping. i just heard a throwing knife hit the wall, you snapped 90 degrees to the right and bam he was dead :p

It is long. I waited for you to finish yours on Fuel before we hooked up, couldn't believe how long it took!

that match was a pita. we started off on defense and won without much of a problem. then on offense we got A but we never rushed b as a team and lost despite only having 7 seconds left when the bomb got disarmed. then in over time we were back on defense and they got B very quickly because i was the only person that went to B. with less than a minute left they plant on A. i die three of four times trying to disarm and with 10 seconds on the clock theres three guys and a smoke grenade out and i got it disarmed. fortunately they fell apart after that. they got one more bomb plant but when another team mate was disarming bomb only one guy came up and he was easily taken care of.

each round took the full 6 minutes.
 
I get what hes saying and to a point he is right. But that said if someone on my team is going 10-30 something is wrong.
 
Watch this crap... Can you believe this? IMO this guy is 10x worse than that guy that did the fake nuke video. I can't stand this sort of ****. 👎

 
I am absolutely fuming right now. I had my best game ever going with the nuke as a killstreak. Score was 5800 to something and I was 21-0, so there was plenty of time for me to play it smart and stay hidden and pick my spots for my first nuke. Then it has to go all retarded and time out. The rest of my team was being stupid and camping in the bunker and it would have been easy to flank the other team for 4 kills. Never have I been so irate at this game. Just had to vent.
 
Kai, Matt, Myself, Mr_V, and Paris Peaches just won a Domination match with a score of 200-16!
They were playing Hide+Seek I think... :lol:
 
Paris Peach I shall forgive you only once lol I don't think we lost all night.
 
I was bored and wanted to get off.
I said it a few days ago and ille say it again, the opposition is CRAP.
I don't think ime getting any better or the really good players have had enough of mw2 and left.
 
You see it all the time. Often it's the guys at the top of the scoreboards that are the weak link.

You are correct with this. I see it quite often with my own clan members. They are too busy trying to get to the top of the scoreboard that they forget the overall picture - to win the match. 👍

If you are playing FFA or TD yes, but in objective based game mode K/D ratio is unimportant.

I would say that your natural K/D ratio was MORE relevant in objective based game modes than in TDM. Think about it. If you have a high natural K/D ratio, and you can take or hold an objective agaisnt multiple attacks, then you are surely a better player than someone with a naturally low K/D ratio.

I also feel that you should carry the same understanding no matter what game mode you are playing, rather than having an objective mode style of play, and a TDM style of play. 👍

My philosophy on that is, you want as many kills as least amount of deaths allow. Basically, you will take as many kills as the game, or the other team give you. I just don't believe in overstretching myself to go look for extra kills, if I'm going to die 15 times doing it.

I couldn't agree with you more. Sometimes I might finish a game near the bottom of the table, but I always try and maintain my K/D ratio. Firstly, because I want to win matches, and secondly, because if I do, then I am contributing to the win, though I might not always be in the thick of the action. 👍

Spread > KD in TDM. Though the guy that is running around with a KD of 1 that is getting a lot of kills is generally preventing kill streaks. Generally, which is helpful.

Yep, spread is very important. I have found through my style of play that I die on average aroud 10 -12 times a round - sometimes it is a little more, sometimes it is a lot less. Knowing this, I base my strategy around maximising the number of kills I can get for those 10 or 12 deaths.

So for the first portion of the game, I will concentrate on getting the killstreaks (5/7/9), then once they are out of the way, I fall into the role of a defensive sweeper. This strategy works better with my clan, but it can be just as effective with random teammates. 👍
 
i tend to be more defensive in objective based games unless its ctf and no ones trying to cap then ill revert to the default rush class with the ump.

i've been trying to try to stay alive longer but its hard when everyone else has better internets than i do.
 
I would say that your natural K/D ratio was MORE relevant in objective based game modes than in TDM. Think about it. If you have a high natural K/D ratio, and you can take or hold an objective agaisnt multiple attacks, then you are surely a better player than someone with a naturally low K/D ratio.

I also feel that you should carry the same understanding no matter what game mode you are playing, rather than having an objective mode style of play, and a TDM style of play. 👍

You're half right about KDR in objective games, but being a better player full stop doesn't mean you're helping your team more. Case in point, my buddy trolley takes down any air support asap which saves objectives being defended by air and stops often multiple deaths for the side. The simple fact is in TDM one excellent player can make up the slack for a whole team of poor players by getting air support in and racking up kills. This is not true of games like Domination, where someone needs to be on the flags often getting 'naded or Danger Close RPGed and such, though a player racking up kills is still helpful to the team there needs to be a balance with 1-2 purely killing (known often as the slayers) and some objective runners with some swapping as need be. Being near an objective gets you killed alot, it's that simple and that hurts KDR, though a player can hold a high KD and complete objectives and it's true to say they are better players in doing so, the point is the same player could hold a higher KDR if they chose to ignore objectives and play in a TDM style way.

That is why someone needs to not play in a TDM mindset, by definition if you play an objective game like a TDM and everybody else does, nobody gets the objective at all because they won't go near a killing zone like a flag. There's scope to play for kills and be helpful still but there's often to many of them and no runners which is where problems arise which is why I can't play this game alone anymore, pubbers don't care about objectives as a whole and I can't stand a team that doesn't share a goal.
 
As proven by your posts in this thread Dragonistic you have a good understanding of this game, thats more or less same as my opinion but you write it so much better :cheers:
 
im going on now if any ones intrested in play need to relax after maths revision.
 
It's official. Mexicans are the worst players at MW2. OMG!

I was playing Ground War at Karachi and had 4 Mexicans on my team. Speaking spanish and playing as bad as you expect. From the start, two of these idiots stopped right in the middle of a narrow alley, behind C, so I couldn't get past. They just sat there, causing a bottleneck. Whenever I come across idiots like that, I lose on purpose and throw flash bang grenades in their face for being beyond stupid. It's how I have my fun.

Naturally, I'm not playing for kills, but for deaths. I want my team of idiot Mexicans to lose. I killed NOBODY! I did, however accidentally, score 150 by walking past a team member securing A. Damn, didn't want to score any points, but it's only 150xp. I'll still come in last place. So I thought.

By the end of the game, I had 150xp, 0 kills and 30 deaths. I didn't come in last place! Last place was held by one of the idiot Mexicans. 140xp, 2 kills and 15 deaths. Unbelievable. He played the entire game, too.

I no longer think the French are the worst players.
 
heh. A6 and me were in a game of demolition when a clan of hispanics came in and pwned so hardcore it was only their clan and the people that were on their team that were left when that round ended.
 
Dragonistic
That is why someone needs to not play in a TDM mindset, by definition if you play an objective game like a TDM and everybody else does, nobody gets the objective at all because they won't go near a killing zone like a flag. There's scope to play for kills and be helpful still but there's often to many of them and no runners which is where problems arise which is why I can't play this game alone anymore, pubbers don't care about objectives as a whole and I can't stand a team that doesn't share a goal.

I will admit that when I play solo, I NEVER go for the objective, but when I paly with my clan, I am always there in the thick of the action. For me, it all boils down to trust and faith. I do not trust the random gamer, and I have no faith in his ability to back me up, so why should I bother risking anything for them?

With my clan though, I have complete trust and faith in their abilities, so I attack with confidence. We also do not hold any objectives directly, but fight in the channels between them. I find that this is a very effective way of defending objectives, and minimises some of the attack patterns you have mentioned. We are also very adept at keeping the opposing team at their spawn. 👍

Dragonistic
This is not true of games like Domination, where someone needs to be on the flags often getting 'naded or Danger Close RPGed and such, though a player racking up kills is still helpful to the team there needs to be a balance with 1-2 purely killing (known often as the slayers) and some objective runners with some swapping as need be.

Domintation is probably the easiest objective game mode. My clan has a well rehearsed strategy, that almost guarantees a win every time. All but one of our clan rushes for the middle base to capture that. One stays back to capture the home base, then we set up a spawn trap and bobs your uncle!

Depending on the map, the middle base might be their home base, as we like to let them have a base that is out in the open, so we can pour in the air support. For instance, on Terminal, we will take A and C, but leave B clear for them. With the enemy stuck on B, we have the advantage of height and we have cover, and use it effectively. The same holds true for other maps though the methods we use to hold positions may differ. For instance on Afghan, we literally lock-down half the map and force the opposing team to attack on our terms. Denial is a far greater weapon than defence!

Objective game modes are good, but they are never fully realised unless you are fighting as a part of a cohesive unit that has clear strategies, and sound contingencies, and you just don't get that kind of cooperation in random matches. 👍

It's official. Mexicans are the worst players at MW2. OMG!

:lol: You haven't played against the BNP then have you? 👍
 
Sorry I had to quit so soon tonight. I loved every single game I played with the clan, even when I was denied a chopper gunner twice by a stupid noobtube. Also my harrier in the Favela match before I quit was ridiculous, spent the whole allowed time not shooting anyone, not a single kill FFS!
 
Sorry I had to quit so soon tonight. I loved every single game I played with the clan, even when I was denied a chopper gunner twice by a stupid noobtube. Also my harrier in the Favela match before I quit was ridiculous, spent the whole allowed time not shooting anyone, not a single kill FFS!

Sure was a goodnight.
Later on in Ground war I got put into the other team in a game of domination,that was fun shall I say.
The match winning kill on Favela by Thomas was hilarious.
 
[empty space];3877179
heh. A6 and me were in a game of demolition when a clan of hispanics came in and pwned so hardcore it was only their clan and the people that were on their team that were left when that round ended.
I wish I was there...
 
I was there? How did that go?
force the opposing team to attack on our terms.
I wish I saw more of these in team deathmatches. I often use the UAV to monitor their general movement, meet them at my own terms. I guess it's sort of camping, guerrilla tactic in a way. Tactics, strategies, they make for some interesting games. Especially if they work. :D
 
Last edited:
Back