Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Legendary
  • 10,323 comments
  • 486,453 views
i actually like to switch my gun depending on level i'm playing. thanks god for class slots! if i didn't have those i would be in trouble. i like to use a p90 with the run fast / run all the time perks in tight spaces and then the standard m4 on more open levels.
 
Here's how you fix your gun problems: use a FAL with a silencer. Done.

Been there, dont that, got the t-shirt. It's my 'main' weapon.

I need to know about the akimbo machine guns.
 
Been there, dont that, got the t-shirt. It's my 'main' weapon.

I need to know about the akimbo machine guns.

Akimbo G18s has the smallest spread whilst akimbo I believe(and possibly full stop from the hip) to the point that it's one of those guns alot of people regard as overpowered when used akimbo with steady aim.

Edit: Though if you wanna be epic, akimbo magnums are the only way to go and they're oh so satisfying.
 
I have forsaken MW2 for the enjoyment that is...Kingdom Hearts 2! :lol: I never got around to it, and with Birth by Sleep getting lots of press recently I decided to borrow it from a friend. I'm hoping they get around to making KH3 soon. The whole Disney theme may seem childish, but they're darn fun games. I promise I'll join you for some games sometime.

I haven't touched MW2 in awhile, I actually sold it.
 
Akimbo G18s has the smallest spread whilst akimbo I believe(and possibly full stop from the hip) to the point that it's one of those guns alot of people regard as overpowered when used akimbo with steady aim.

Edit: Though if you wanna be epic, akimbo magnums are the only way to go and they're oh so satisfying.

You are spot on the G18s; the spread is less than any of the SMGs.

And style can also be achieved with Akimbo Deagles.
 
Really strange night. Got to host a bunch, very high k/d matches. 👍

I was getting bit bored with everything, so I tried TAR, it lasted about couple of games. :yuck:

One of my favorite guns in CoD4, M16. It's been in my doghouse ever since the release of the MW2, pretty much. That changed tonight..... kind of.

I figured about two keys to the rifle I never caught on before:

Iron sights - You don't point at the target with the center tip, you cup the target just above it. The gun was way more effective with the reddot anyway, but that got me started.

Connection - I cry about the connection speed all the time, but I found out how M16 can turn from mediocre to a monster depending on it. When I was hosting, or had four to close to four, I was knocking them down, left & right. With the lag, I shot, shot, shot, then the target shot me dead.

Overall, I have much more respect for M16 now, but it absolutely does not benefit me by choosing it over my regular ACR & SCAR. I tried it with silencer, but either the sights or accuracy isn't good enough. I need different sights to use the gun. I'm gonna keep on playing around with it until I get the ACOG.
 
Forget the ACOG on the M16, the holographic is the only one you'll be interested in as it (weirdly) reduces recoil on the M16 significantly. That said I find the recoil acceptable with a red dot anyway so I don't mind using that as you get a little clearer view but the holo is usually the one to go for.

As for the TAR, it's an awesome gun in the right hands and is my go to full auto assault rifle simply because it has a bit of recoil which gives it a more visceral and rewarding feel. Short bursts work a charm at range though it will never be as accurate as something like the ACR it is still very capable if used properly. It's one of those guns you need to spend some time learning in order to get the most out of it.

On another gun related note I tried out the MP5K last night, it is quite useless at any range no doubt but up close it tears people up incredibly fast with the high short range damage and high fire rate. A good weapon for aggressive players who like to charge about in spawns but not really good enough to warrant using it over a UMP bar for just fun.
 
Somehow I had this feeling you might be the first one to see my M16 post. :lol: Thanks for the tips, I will try them out. We are on the same page on the reddot, too.

I just do not like TAR, but when you consider all the players who love using it, I have to respect that. You guys are weird though, no question. :D
 
How can you not like the TAR!

:lol:


Speaking of the TAR-21, I got Mastery on it again the other day :D
 
Last edited:
Forget the ACOG on the M16, the holographic is the only one you'll be interested in as it (weirdly) reduces recoil on the M16 significantly. That said I find the recoil acceptable with a red dot anyway so I don't mind using that as you get a little clearer view but the holo is usually the one to go for.

The ACOG is terrible on the M16A4 as it throws the spread of the three bullet burst off, at least that was my perception of the M16A4 with an ACOG. This is also all the more apparent when comparing the weapon's effectiveness when equipped with either the Red Dot Sight or Holographic Sight.

As for the TAR, it's an awesome gun in the right hands and is my go to full auto assault rifle simply because it has a bit of recoil which gives it a more visceral and rewarding feel. Short bursts work a charm at range though it will never be as accurate as something like the ACR it is still very capable if used properly. It's one of those guns you need to spend some time learning in order to get the most out of it.

The TAR-21 is probably the best mid-range assault rifle in the game, as it has great stopping power, fairly high rate of fire, and good magazine size. I have used the weapon quite a bit and really enjoy when encounters are of short-mid to mid range engagements, as this is the weapon's sweet spot. Long range is not too bad when a Silencer is equipped because the reduction in muzzle flash helps significantly in putting rounds on target; otherwise, I find the muzzle flash hurts my ability to keep weapon on target, especially when engaging a person who is using a SCAR-H, ACR, M4A1, etcetera.

On another gun related note I tried out the MP5K last night, it is quite useless at any range no doubt but up close it tears people up incredibly fast with the high short range damage and high fire rate. A good weapon for aggressive players who like to charge about in spawns but not really good enough to warrant using it over a UMP bar for just fun.

My opinion of the MP5K is the exact same. It is okay at range if you can fire single shots off and the person you are firing at have no clue where you are, but that situation does not come often enough to warrant saying the MP5K can be used at range.
 
I do believe the TAR actually has the highest damage per second of all the assault rifles which is why it's so formidable in that sweet spot especially with FMJ for multi sprays. I think once adjusted it's very nearly as good as the more full auto rifles at longer ranges to, enough to not leave me feeling at a disadvantage when I use it.

Infact, it's helped push my KDR up to 3.06 and my new longest win streak which ended not just an hour or 2, at 36 (not bad seeing as I had no party for at least 15 of those). Unfortunately it came to an end despite a solid 24-7 by myself in a TDM, my whole team went massively negative.
 
I quite like using the MP5 in my run and gun class. It definitely has to much recoil to use as a long range weapon but it's great for up close spraying. I think I like it more than the UMP and other SMGs because when I first started playing the game it was my SMG of choice.

Unlocked the Model 1887 again today. I forgot just how much that gun sucks since they patched it. :yuck:
 
I haven't played since my post, but because I don't think I'm gong much further with the M16, maybe I will give TAR another try. I was using the gun only close range, and in mid range, it was firing all around the target, where M16 or ACR would have dropped them.

So far, I have only grenade launcher for it(might killed more with that!). I was wanting to try out the silencer for it. How good is the red dot? Are they any good?

Lastly, before trying out the M16, I considered FAMAS as well. More players seem to prefer FAMAS over M16, but basically, where M16 will kill with one burst, but with less accuracy, FAMAS will be more dead on target, but might still need the second burst. Is that about right?
 
The tar should just come with the silencer. Thats just how good it is.

Now I think the M16 is probably better in close range than the famas but damage is basically the same I think. I like using the M16 with a silencer and a holographic sight.
 
Differences between FAMAS and M16 (I do believe I posted these AGES ago :lol:)

- FAMAS has slightly better range meaning it is in practice a touch more powerful (though maximum and minimum damage is the same for both, the FAMAS reachs minimum at a slightly longer range).
- FAMAS burst is quicker, but delay between bursts longer. Overall the fire rate works out about the same but in practice the M16 will work better on multiple foes due to the lower delay whereas the FAMAS will kill a guy (assuming the burst hits all 3 rounds) marginally quicker.
- M16 has faster reload and draw times.
- M16 has higher recoil when NOT using the holographic compared to the FAMAS.

Overall the FAMAS is better in a heads up 1 on 1, but not significantly so whilst the M16 is slightly more versatile when engaging multiples but again not significantly so. Ultimately with stopping power you need 1 burst to kill regardless of range on both weapons and then it just comes down to taste more then anything.

The FAMAS is more popular as it perfectly resets after each burst due to the slightly longer delay, making it very accurate no matter how fast you try to fire. It is also unlocked early so you just see more of them anyway when it's not really any better overall.

As for the TAR red dot, it's the MARS sight and I hate it because it's bulky and not very clear which is why I stick to iron sights (I didn't find the holographic to be helpful). Particularly as it is a better mid-close range weapon, optics can be traded for something more useful in those situations like the silencer, FMJ or extended mags.
 
I got a hankering for some killin' so I tossed MW2 in last night. There was one game where I went 8-8 or 8-9, the rest I was all fairly well over 1.0. Had some teams of idiots, had some games against idiots. Had a game on Afghan were I went bonkers, and I don't think I got one kill with my primary WA2k. I just kept taking people out with claymores and my pistol. Ended up 21-2 that game.

I only use 3 primaries: TAR on 3 classes, MP5K, and WA2k. I have a class with the AUG but don't use it. I only use the MP5K on smallish maps like Scrapyard, Karachi, and Skidrow.
 
Alright, thanks for the input guys. And Drag, I do remember a discussion on this very topic before. I guess I could have just looked it up. :crazy:

On TAR, I don't like that round red dot either, so I think I might just play with it for couple of games or something, hope that I get the silencer before too long.

On M16, stopping power's supposed to be way higher than FAMAS according the the chart, but I think you guys said in the past that they can be misleading. I'm still not going to rule out trying out FAMAS, but M16's shorter time between bursts, all around efficient speed might fit might style way more. I think I will hang onto it until I get the holo-sights, as I recall that test about how holo'd M16 has less spread compared to the red dot.
I just kept taking people out with claymores and my pistol. Ended up 21-2 that game.
:lol:
 
Silenced tar with slight of hand pro stopping power and ninja has to be my favorite class of all time.
 
Silenced tar with slight of hand pro stopping power and ninja has to be my favorite class of all time.
I played a partial game just now, and now I'm a four kill away from holo on M16, so I'll play with that first. I'll give the TAR a go after. 👍
 
Hopefully I transfered some TAR skills over through my bullets just now :sly:.

I managed to do ok on the predictable 2 bar (19-5) I'm not sure if you watched the killcam, but you might have noticed me pumping the trigger and bursting rather then just spraying full auto. Just releasing the trigger briefly to allow the gun settle will help on those ranged encounters dramatically. I think when I get back to Uni (under a week away) I will try to play with you again and see how it goes on the better connection they have.
 
A6 doesn't understand the meaning of the word "burst." Its full auto or nothing for that man...
 
That's so true though. I do sometimes, but very seldomly.

On the Highrise, I was getting owned, but there was so much going on outside the game(IRL), I wasn't warmed up(still haven't) and on top of that, it was lagging so bad everybody, including myself, were all over the place.

Not making excuses, but I have to explain myself why I was playing like somebody completely new to the game in that match. And Drag thought I rage quit, but my friend who was in the game, which was whole another situation with us getting separated, he backed out, then re-invited me, so that's why I left. I had no idea he was even in the game, and I saw no replays, as I was barely paying attention to the live game. ;)

On the M16, I got the holographic sights right away. While it feels like the spread pattern is tighter(get your mind out of the gutter lol), the gun is so ineffective with the slow connection, I have moved on to TAR soon after that Highrise game. I tried Blinging it with the halo-silencer, but that totally killed the stopping power over distance. On Estate, I like to snipe with ACR or SCAR. Maybe it was the three round burst vs full auto, I don't know, but I struggled on long distance sniping targets behind cover.

TAR felt a lot better with the red dot, surprisingly. But since my goal is to equip it with the silencer, I took it off to get use to the iron sights.
 
You sound like you've never played this game before. Are you Ken Burton?
 
I do feel like a noob using new guns. I do OK with M16's, but only when there is no delay in connections.
 
You have more kills than I do and I've used almost everything many times.
 
After getting used to the TAR, it's been pretty good. I'm using Bling (silencer & FMJs), Stopping Power and Ninja.
 
Thats dumb. FMJ makes the silencer almost worthless.
 
Speaking of the Tar. I got the 500 kill title for it tonight. :sly:
 
Pfft, I have nearly 1900 kills with it :sly:
 
Back