Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Legendary
  • 10,323 comments
  • 486,749 views
You picked that thing apart! But in a good way:) I like the fact that you don't have as much recoil when using a silencer, I just don't like that it cuts down on the guns damage. I have never just used one gun allot in COD though. I tend to get tired of a gun and swap up a good bit. Its not unusual for me to use up to 3 different custom slots with different guns on each, or at least different things on them like silencer on one M16 slot and the other M16 slot will have red dot etc. I just get tired of using the same gun over and over. I really like the FAL myself, but I usually play HCTDM so the single shot isn't and issue.
 
Thanks for the info breakpoint! I have wonder about what the point of holographic sight was, I have always prefer holographic on my UMP(with bling pro silencer), did some testing with that weopon and yes holographic was more acurate :)
 
Another mistake the tester made, was not to test both guns with a silencer. Silencers can dramatically change the way a gun fires, beyond just silencing the weapon. A favourite trick of mine on COD4 was to equip the AK47 with a silencer, because it reduced significantly the muzzle climb that was all to prevalent if you fired the gun without one. The same is true with a silencer equipped in MW2, the FAMAS is even more accurate than without a silencer. The accuracy of the M16 also improves with a silencer, but it is still nowhere near as accurate as the FAMAS.

On the matter of the Silencer. I recently built another Akimbo SMG class, but I wanted some stealth for when I find myself in a nice spot to ambush. So I placed Silencers on my Akimbo MP5's, and the difference is staggering. The recoil is less random and thus I now drop people even faster using the setup. Only down side is I can't sprint across the map anymore, since I had to drop Marathon Pro for Bling Pro.

Further, the FAL with the Holographic alone is a bit of a hassle, but with the Silencer as well, it is just plain deadly. If you prefer to not Bling, just stick with the Red Dot Sight on the FAL, as it tends to work better than the Holo on its own.

On the matter of Akimbo SMG's, I'll add a little to that. The accuracy indicator does not reflect hip-fire accuracy at all. The UMP is superior to the MP5K when aiming down the sights, but is just a mess when going Akimbo. I'm not sure how I got so many kills with it before, but I'm sold on the MP5 for akimbo usage - can start firing from a bit further away. And that makes a world of difference.

As for Akimbo weapons, I believe all the Handguns, Machine Pistols, and SMG's work for it, along with the Ranger and 1887 Shotguns.
 
I had an epic game winning kill earlier. Playing TDM at Favela, jumped off the end building roof, spun round 360 and headshot the enemy on the second floor of the building opposite while falling past it with my Spas-12 aiming down sights.
 
I made another account called iKnife_iWin. I'm going to only knife with this account. No choppers, harriers, nothing. Just the ocassional UAV and my knife.
 
I made another account called iKnife_iWin. I'm going to only knife with this account. No choppers, harriers, nothing. Just the ocassional UAV and my knife.


Where you at on this one Dragonistic? :)
 
Oh and I've started to really hate Afghan. Just hate it, very difficult map imo, pretty much get attacked from every angle. I did try and join in with DinSokk last night (one of you guys, can't find/remember who), but it just ignored it...strange, never had it do that before. Sabotage'd it all last night.
I love Afghan, it is my favourite map by far, it was the one map I did well on while I was lagging with you guys the other night.

I had an epic game winning kill earlier. Playing TDM at Favela, jumped off the end building roof, spun round 360 and headshot the enemy on the second floor of the building opposite while falling past it with my Spas-12 aiming down sights.

:eek: Lovely, great work 👍.

Now for something which I have known about for a while. When the game for PC was released it was almost known straight away that there are hidden game modes in the code. One is called "Global Thermo Nuclear War" where you have to capture a Nuke in the centre of the map and blow it up to win. Now someone has somehow activated this mode on 360 and on this link there are three videos of it being played.
 
Just ran into a "nuke team" on Karachi. Some guys where out in the middle of nowhere (that spawn you start on but never go to) just using tactical insertions and knifing. I put an end to that and then left the match. Talk about lame...
 
hmmmm.
going to my own testing with the scar and ACR later on but remember this that walls dont shoot back. Get the Drift.
That is a great idea. Please let us know how that goes. 👍 magburner, too, with your M16 test. :)
Cool, consider yourself added
I forgot to mention that I'm mostly on the Xbox Live, but when you do see me on, feel free to invite me. I prefer TDMs, but I can also play domination. :)
Very true... ACR with iron sights is great though... I cant use other scopes on it that well, red dot works ok, but I wasnt feeling the Holo... so opted for iron sight with FMJ.. and that just feels great... what kind of tests are you doing?? Also accuracy related?
:crazy: I don't like the iron sights on ACR. It is accurate, and I suppose it does have more open view compared to other iron sights. Maybe I just don't like that cross on there. I use red dot. Maybe holo, if that M16 test also applies to ACRs.
Edit:
Just ran into a "nuke team" on Karachi. Some guys where out in the middle of nowhere (that spawn you start on but never go to) just using tactical insertions and knifing. I put an end to that and then left the match. Talk about lame...
Very lame. But I can kind of see myself doing that in my early teen days. Good thing they only had SNES, back then. :lol:
 
Just ran into a "nuke team" on Karachi. Some guys where out in the middle of nowhere (that spawn you start on but never go to) just using tactical insertions and knifing. I put an end to that and then left the match. Talk about lame...

Has happened to me a few times now, pretty satisfying ruining their plans :)
 
Is it just me, or does your accuracy go up by .01 when you knife people? All of a sudden my accuracy shot up ever since I started using my knife.

Also, has anybody tried to get pro on all of the perks? I have about three perks left until I have them all done. Oh yea, howdo you get 100% online? I'm at 91% and don't know what I did to get there. Is it just by what rank your at because that makes the most since, but not completely sure.

Edit: Why is it every time I post I seem to be on the top of the next page? :lol:
 
It's related to rank yes. Mine now says about 240% due to me being on the 2nd prestige :D
 
Wow, another Nuke team. Guys sound young, and man are they bad. Pretty irritating in Team Death Match when you have a guy that is just dying, 1 and 26... yeah, helpful.

How do you report people again?
 
I'm oddly starting to like 3rd person Team Tactial now....

I just went 44-3-21 in Domination.
 
I'm beginning to see why I have so many shots without hits. The M4 jumps around a lot when I fire it. I attached a scope because I need the headshots, and was surprised to see how much it jumps around.

What's the best way to reduce the jump during full auto fire?

Also, I played with my son online in a private match, and I shot him in the head numerous times and it took about 6-8 shots before he went down. Does that sound normal? Again, M4 was the weapon I used. I need just a few more headshots and I can start using something else.
 
What's the best way to reduce the jump during full auto fire?
Doesn't reduce the jump, per se, but aim at the torso not the head. That way the vertical recoil from full auto will lift the barrel to be pointing in the middle of the face, which is a 1HK. Effect is most noticeable with the G18, as that gun has huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge vert. recoil.

Abusing the game engine ftw. :lol:

Regarding your second question, no, headshots should always be one-hit kills. Probably suffered bullet detection fail there.
 
Or if it was a private match you could have put health on double.
 
Even with double health, it would only take two headshots to down a guy.
 
Regarding your second question, no, headshots should always be one-hit kills. Probably suffered bullet detection fail there.

False. The M21 on normal Team Deathmatch, with a Silencer, is not a one shot kill to the head. At least not at longer distances. I've had way to many times I've put it right on their head and had it not kill, even though the blood would make you think.

As for the scope solid lifters, I assume you are using the ACOG? It has been shown several times to make recoil worse on most guns. Drop it and go back to the Red Dot Sight or the Holographic, and just work from there. Getting headshots is more of a keeping your sights at about head level when you walk around.
 
There was one other thing I forgot to mention about demonstration video, the guy forgot to test ANOTHER aspect - range. In that video, I would class the distance he is shooting from as close range. Range is very important because each gun behaves differently at different ranges. If that video test had been carried out correctly, it would only prove which gun was more accurate at close range.

Close up the M16 is fairly accurate, its when you get to medium or long range, that the problems start to arise. From my recollections of firing the gun, I was wary about shooting someone atmedium range and I almost NEVER shot at anyone at long range. This to me defeated the object of using the gun, because I believe that assault rifles are medium-to-long range weapons.

I can remember once shooting at a guy standing by one of the tin sheds in Rundown, and I must of been a good distance away, something like half the width of the map from the guy. I like to pick my shots, so I fired and watched the bullet spread as I fired, all three rounds dotted around him! I fired again, and two of the three rounds missed, whilst the third hit, but didn't kill, and this was on hardcore! Since that day I have flatly refused to use the M16, because I feel that IW have nerfed the gun since COD4. It also brought up an interesting quandry, that I have failed to find an answer for.

How is bullet damage calculated in MW2? Does the weapons damage relate to each bullet, or in the case of burst fire wepons, each burst? I believe that the damage releates to each bullet, but for bust fire weapons, I have my doubts. Going back to the last example. If I had hit the guy with a single shot from a FAL, which has similiar stats to the M16, he would of died instantly, even with a silencer. So why didn't the guy die with a single shot from the M16?

Equally, if you use a silenced FAMAS in core, you will notice something very strange going on. Firstly, I find that the rate of fire of the FAMAS is a little lower with a silencer, When you fire at close range, and if all three rounds hit, you will actually see the guy you are shooting at, react to each individual round, only dying when the third and final round hits. At medium range, you will have to fire a second burst, and the guy will usually die after the first or second bullet. At long range though, you will need two clean bursts.

breakpoint
You picked that thing apart! But in a good way:) I like the fact that you don't have as much recoil when using a silencer, I just don't like that it cuts down on the guns damage. I have never just used one gun allot in COD though.

Actually, silencers don't reduce, damage, they reduce range. You could argue that they are both one in the same, but I feel differently about it. If I use a silencer, I will intentionally get a little closer to the target to offset the reduced range, and i have found that upto close-to medium range, ther eis no difference in the damage of the wepon. it is only when you get a little further away that the damage starts to fall off. 👍

I used a silenced M16 exclusively in COD4, which was interesting because I had to rely on the iron sights, AND pick my shots very, very carefully. As soon as I got MW2, it was my mission to get the M16, but I settled for the FAMAS because it was a burst fire weapon. You can imagine my dismay at finding that the MW2 M16 was far, far inferior to the FAMAS, let alone the COD4 M16.

breakpoint
I tend to get tired of a gun and swap up a good bit. Its not unusual for me to use up to 3 different custom slots with different guns on each, or at least different things on them like silencer on one M16 slot and the other M16 slot will have red dot etc.

I myself use numerous guns, I have certain kits for certain maps. For Derail and Wasteland, I use a silenced Barretts. On built up maps, I generally use the SCAR, though certain maps I will favour the FAMAS, and in core, I always use the RPD with a grip and iron sights (this setup is super accurate too). Another super accurate weapon is the RDS M4, but only in core. In hardcore, I hate the gun, due to its high rate of fire. 👍

For hardcore, I find myself using the M93 burst fire pistol (with RDS and silencer) more and more, and it is slowly becoming my first string weapon in that game mode. I am actually amazed at how accurate and lethal this gun is at extremes of range! As far as I am concerned, If I can get the RDS on the target, no matter how far, I can get the kill. A lot of people dismiss the M93, but honestly, if you play hardcore, it should be your weapon of choice, because it has a very high rate of fire, is very very accurate, even up to long range and beyond, even more so than the M16 and the FAMAS, and it is guaranteed a kill every time. 👍

breakpoint
I just get tired of using the same gun over and over. I really like the FAL myself, but I usually play HCTDM so the single shot isn't and issue.

Further, the FAL with the Holographic alone is a bit of a hassle, but with the Silencer as well, it is just plain deadly. If you prefer to not Bling, just stick with the Red Dot Sight on the FAL, as it tends to work better than the Holo on its own.

I like the FAL too, I used to use it a lot in core, and occasionally in hardcore. One thing I have found with that gun too, is that it is less accurate with an RDS than with the iron sights. I don't know why that is, but it has put me off the gun, because I don't like the iron sights on it. 👍

That is a great idea. Please let us know how that goes. 👍 magburner, too, with your M16 test. :)

I can answer the SCAR/ACR question for you right now, no need to test. The SCAR is the superior weapon, both in damage and accuracy, and at all ranges... If you use the iron sights.

The ACR is good up close, and pretty good at medium range, at long range though, it is not as good as the SCAR, due to the higher rate of fire, and recoil.

For me, The thing that tips it for the SCAR is its slow rate of fire. Initially you might think that a slow firing wepon would be of no use, but the slow rate of fire (coupled with a silencer), reduces recoil, and it is a lot easier to fire only the rounds you need, unlike the ACR, which spits them out like they are going out of fashion! :lol:

My ultimate SCAR setup for hardcore is:

Scavenger pro (madatory because of the SCARS limited ammunition), cold-blooded, ninja, silencer, iron sights, and a blooper. If I play core, I swap out the silencer for an M203, and cold-blooded for stopping power, keeping the blooper for some extra noob-tube fun! :lol:

What's the best way to reduce the jump during full auto fire?

There are a number of ways to reduce jump during full auto. Firstly use a silencer, this reduces jump considerably on some guns, though if you play core, it might get you into a little bother.

Secondly, don't fire full auto! The Longer you fire full auto, the more the muzzle will jump. Fire in bursts, and your accuracy will improve considerably.

Lastly, and not so obvious, is to reduce your look sensitivity. I have my sensitivity on 1, so when I move the thumb sticks, the gun moves less than if I was using a higher look sensitivity. 👍

If there is one lesson I could teach anyone and everyone who plays MW2 is to look beyond the stats of the gun. I can tell you straight that IW have gone into a lot of detail with the guns, and the only way to truly understand the strengths and weaknesses of each is to use them extensively. Some guns shine in core, others shine in hardcore.

Phew, that was long. Just say if I'm going on a bit! :lol: 👍
 
False. The M21 on normal Team Deathmatch, with a Silencer, is not a one shot kill to the head.
Really? That strikes me as slightly... odd. Slightly more understandable at long range, but still a bit unusual imo.

As for the scope solid lifters, I assume you are using the ACOG? It has been shown several times to make recoil worse on most guns.
ACOG + AUG or P90 = :sick: Of the guns I have ACOG on (not all that many, actually), only the SCAR handles it particularly well. The P90 in particular hates ACOG sights.
 
On the note of Silencers and Damage... they do reduce it on some weapons, most obvious being Sniper Rifles. Just go test it out, you'll find yourself getting fewer one shot kills with a silencer on the Intervention.

I've found the ACR handles the ACOG pretty well too. The FAL absolutely does not. On the accuracy topic, MagBurner, I'd call the distance in most of the tests medium range... I guess we really do have different play styles. The ACR I've found is far more accurate under full auto than the SCAR, and thanks to its larger clip, a bit more sprayable. Which works better for me since I don't quite have your accuracy at this.
 
Last edited:
I got another question for the experts around here..
*cough* magburner *cough* :p
With MP, is there aiming help? While I was playing a frined of me said that there was auto aim, because the crosshairs moved while shooting, because the target moved too. But thought I moved my aim a bit myself. But it went by so fast that I didn't know sure.
 
The game will track targets a bit for you on its own. You can disable this I believe, but I find it helpful in that it will do so even when you can't see the enemy sometimes (through smoke). I also find the tracking varies from sight to sight.
 
On the note of Silencers and Damage... they do reduce it on some weapons, most obvious being Sniper Rifles. Just go test it out, you'll find yourself getting fewer one shot kills with a silencer on the Intervention.

Like I said, the damage is reduced because the range is reduced. Every gun in the game has a maximum range, if you reduce the maximum range, you will not be able to do the same damage at the same distance. This is most notible in core. I never use a silenced sniper in core because of the increased health bars, and the guns reduced range. It is the 'noobish' (I say that in the nicest possible way :sly:) game mode, not the silencer, that is causing you not to get a headshot.

In hardcore though, a silencer makes no difference to the weapons performance, and I can happily sniper the full length of Derail and get a headshot with one round every time.

I've also found that core is not a good place to test the performance of weapons because you have to resort to the wepon that does the most damage, because of the increased health. That is why I only use the RPD, I've found that it is the best wepon for that game mode. Play hardcore though, and you will find that the guns you wouldn't touch in core, are far superior than the ones you would use in core 👍

MagBurner, I'd call the distance in most of the tests medium range... I guess we really do have different play styles.

Man, that's one big building! :sly: I base my ranges on a couple of things. Firstly, ANYWHERE indoors is classed as close range. If I can see the details of their face, it is also classed as close range. Secondly, if I can see the details of their uniform, but not their face, then it is medium range, and lastly, if I can just make out the shape of the target, it is classed as long range.

AS you rightly put it, we do have different playing styles, though, I summise it is more down to the type of weapons we both use. If you use close quarters weapons, like SMGs, shotguns, pistols, and akimbo weapons, then close, medium and long range will be a lot closer than if you used an assault or sniper rifle. 👍

With MP, is there aiming help? While I was playing a frined of me said that there was auto aim, because the crosshairs moved while shooting, because the target moved too. But thought I moved my aim a bit myself. But it went by so fast that I didn't know sure.

There are actually two types of aim assist in MP MW2. The first is as Azureman has suggested, that the sights will slightly track targets, even when the view is obscured. Personally, I find this a nuisance as it is can give away your position even if you have all the stealth perks enabled, or spoil a good snipe if another target runs between you and your intended victim.

The second is the 'aim-snap' feature. This was present in COD4 too. If you aim near a target (as in very near), the sights will automatically snap to that target, allowing you to hit the target easier. You only have to watch those uber sniper videos, where they aim, shoot, aim shoot, aim, shoot etc in one fluid motion to see the effect in action. 👍
 
I've also found that core is not a good place to test the performance of weapons because you have to resort to the wepon that does the most damage, because of the increased health. That is why I only use the RPD, I've found that it is the best wepon for that game mode. Play hardcore though, and you will find that the guns you wouldn't touch in core, are far superior than the ones you would use in core 👍

I find this to be a very false statement, by no means do you have to. I'm still using my Famas without stopping power and a silencer which should leave me down on power considerably and indeed it does. But, the simple fact is I more then compensate for that by being able to be accurate and stealthy, using Cold Blooded as a balance. Then at range I have the advantage of more controllable recoil when compared to the more powerful assault rifles like the SCAR.

You do need a high damage per second if you're planning on charging around running and gunning, but if you flank, engage at range you are more open to the choice of weapons available to you which will be effective.

As for the never ending battle between hardcore and core, I find the reduced and more realistic health in hardcore is quickly, very quickly, balanced out and any notion of realism destroyed by just how easy it is to shoot someone on MW2. Sometimes hardcore provides an excellent immersive game, sometimes it's just full of camping and all around rubbish. I've not dabbled much into HC on MW2, what objective games are available outside of TDM and SnD?

Edit: Just spotted this.

Where you at on this one Dragonistic? :)

I stick by every comment I made previously about knife only players. I think it's a rather shallow, uninteresting and unoriginal way of playing, particularly if doing it purely to 'own' which is what would be suggested by the name chosen for this particular knife only account, even though this may not be the case and I should hope not. It's just a new version of the no/quick scoping fad which I never bought into, at first it seems difficult but if you do it alot, or in the case of knifing it's pretty easy to begin with, it will become quite simple. The only other reason people do it rather then a challenge which appears harder then it is, is as a method of trying to show they are superior, the amount of smack talk no scopers used to give was stupid and it hasn't changed with the knifers who think they're gods gift, ruining the image surrounding knifers regardless of the playstyle. The same kind of bad image often associated with drifters on games like Gran Turismo, the image of many ruined by a few who are arrogant. By all means in modes like TDM I don't have an issue with it, but in modes like Demolition I get really annoyed, especially when you're defending and all the knifer is doing is swapping the enemy spawn points so you don't know where they're coming from.

On a side note, yes knifing raises accuracy, it counts as a hit without a shot.
 
Last edited:
Quickly, before someone notices that I've dropped a clanger, I will say this. Earlier I stated that I classed all indoor environments as close range, but there is one exception to this rule - the long corridor where 'B' is on Skidrow. You could say that from one end to the other of that corridor could be classed as long range, and it is. So my apologies for the error there. 👍

Dragonistic
I find this to be a very false statement, by no means do you have to. I'm still using my Famas without stopping power and a silencer which should leave me down on power considerably and indeed it does. But, the simple fact is I more then compensate for that by being able to be accurate and stealthy, using Cold Blooded as a balance. You do need a high damage per second if you're planning on charging around running and gunning, but if you flank, engage at range you are more open to the choice of weapons available to you which will be effective.

Hmmmm... My bad. Maybe I should of explained that I only play domination in core. For that game mode you do need a gun that is powerful and accurate, but like you have suggested, and as I did with my first prestige, you can sneak around using a silenced FAMAS and the cold-blooded perk. I've also used a silenced RPD, to equal effect. 👍

Dragonistic
As for the never ending battle between hardcore and core, I find the reduced and more realistic health in hardcore is quickly, very quickly, balanced out and any notion of realism destroyed by just how easy it is to shoot someone on MW2.

Well let me get an AK47 and pop some caps in your ass, and lets see how many rounds you take before you drop to the floor stone dead! (said in the nicest possible way of course :sly:) Hardcore is as close to real as you can get. Only super heroes can shake off half a clip from an AK47, turn around, and kill you smiling. it just isn't done. Guns are lethal instruments, hardcore reminds us all just how lethal they really are.

In reality though, the difference between core and hardcore, is the frame of mind, and not the weapons damage. Both game modes are different, and both require completely different strategies. I find when I play core, I am constantly looking at the radar instead of what is in front of me. In hardcore, I relish the fact that I do not always have that luxury, and even when I do, I know it cannot be relied on. Core is about having fun, hardcore teaches you tactics and strategies. if you can shine in hardcore, then when you return to core it will feel like a walk in the park! :D

As for the camping arguement, I think you will find that the majority of the camper in hardcore are those that have stepped from core and are finding it tough. Also, are you too not attempting the same thing as a camper when you use the cold blooded perk? Your intention is to kill enemies without them knowing you are there, why is that so different to camping? Remember also, fools rush in where angels fear to tread... 👍

Dragonistic
I've not dabbled much into HC on MW2, what objective games are available outside of TDM and SnD?

My pick for hardcore would have to be Hardcore HQ. If like me, you like to hang off the objective and sneak around picking off targets of opportunity, then this is the game mode for you. If you don't fall in love with hardcore after playing HCHQ, then maybe hardcore is not for you! 👍
 
In hardcore though, a silencer makes no difference to the weapons performance, and I can happily sniper the full length of Derail and get a headshot with one round every time.

I finally put some time into Hardcore last night. Needless to say, the M21 is just absurdly lethal with a silencer on a stealth setup. More interestingly though, my Run and Gun setup (Silenced Akimbo MP5s with Stopping Power) works amazingly on the tighter areas... since I merely need to tap the triggers to get a kill. All I had to do was adjust my play style to be slightly more conservative (more cover usage and more confined routes) to keep myself from being caught in the open...

AS you rightly put it, we do have different playing styles, though, I summise it is more down to the type of weapons we both use. If you use close quarters weapons, like SMGs, shotguns, pistols, and akimbo weapons, then close, medium and long range will be a lot closer than if you used an assault or sniper rifle. 👍

I use sniper rifles quite a bit, as the 600+ Intervention kills and the 300 on the M21 show. I just tend to avoid the "middle" range engagements because my aim isn't as solid there (but is up to 17.xx% now and climbing), so I tend to not use AR's as much. I think we can see the difference in our play style though from the sensitivity bit. You use 1, and I jump between 2 and 4, depending on the class I use and the map. Too many times I need to quickly spin around when charging a positions to drop multiple targets.


There are actually two types of aim assist in MP MW2. The first is as Azureman has suggested, that the sights will slightly track targets, even when the view is obscured. Personally, I find this a nuisance as it is can give away your position even if you have all the stealth perks enabled, or spoil a good snipe if another target runs between you and your intended victim.

The second is the 'aim-snap' feature. This was present in COD4 too. If you aim near a target (as in very near), the sights will automatically snap to that target, allowing you to hit the target easier. You only have to watch those uber sniper videos, where they aim, shoot, aim shoot, aim, shoot etc in one fluid motion to see the effect in action. 👍

I haven't seen the Snap To in MP as much. At least it doesn't work like in Single Player anyhow. I am with you on the following sometimes ruining a nice sniper shot though.

You do need a high damage per second if you're planning on charging around running and gunning, but if you flank, engage at range you are more open to the choice of weapons available to you which will be effective.

Somewhat relates to this...

I stick by every comment I made previously about knife only players. I think it's a rather shallow, uninteresting and unoriginal way of playing, particularly if doing it purely to 'own' which is what would be suggested by the name chosen for this particular knife only account, even though this may not be the case and I should hope not. It's just a new version of the no/quick scoping fad which I never bought into, at first it seems difficult but if you do it alot, or in the case of knifing it's pretty easy to begin with, it will become quite simple. The only other reason people do it rather then a challenge which appears harder then it is, is as a method of trying to show they are superior, the amount of smack talk no scopers used to give was stupid and it hasn't changed with the knifers who think they're gods gift, ruining the image surrounding knifers regardless of the playstyle. The same kind of bad image often associated with drifters on games like Gran Turismo, the image of many ruined by a few who are arrogant. By all means in modes like TDM I don't have an issue with it, but in modes like Demolition I get really annoyed, especially when you're defending and all the knifer is doing is swapping the enemy spawn points so you don't know where they're coming from.

It sounds like you can ONLY engage at a distance. Switch to a more powerful weapon so you can drop these guys faster. And honestly, if they are avoiding the fire lanes and getting behind you, isn't that just being smart? You'd have the same issue with my Run and Gun class coming up from behind and just point blanking everyone. In those situations you are dead either way.

Like I said, more stopping power and they won't get close enough to you anyhow, even in closer quarters. Maybe use a shotgun when working buildings?

And for arrogance, check your own. You seem to think you know the best way to play this game and like to remind us about it - Silencer and Cold Blooded...

In reality though, the difference between core and hardcore, is the frame of mind, and not the weapons damage. Both game modes are different, and both require completely different strategies. I find when I play core, I am constantly looking at the radar instead of what is in front of me. In hardcore, I relish the fact that I do not always have that luxury, and even when I do, I know it cannot be relied on.

The mindset thing is spot on. In hardcore, I find myself being a lot more cautious (not campy really, just take my time when moving about) because if I get caught in the open, I am pretty much dead.

As for the camping arguement, I think you will find that the majority of the camper in hardcore are those that have stepped from core and are finding it tough. Also, are you too not attempting the same thing as a camper when you use the cold blooded perk? Your intention is to kill enemies without them knowing you are there, why is that so different to camping? Remember also, fools rush in where angels fear to tread... 👍

I found myself camping the first few matches of Hardcore TDM I was in, mostly because I was figuring out the game pace. I am amazed at how dependent I was on the points flashing up on my screen to confirm kills, and this caught me pretty hard with those that use Last Stand (which I hate - if you get hit in the head with a Sniper you should just die) as they'd drop me with their pistol because I'd switch to a new target.

However, after the few rounds, I switched over to patrolling my usual routes, with great effect. I may switch my UAV back over to my Chopper Gunner for Hardcore as well now, though helping my whole team is quite nice with the UAV.
 
Well let me get an AK47 and pop some caps in your ass, and lets see how many rounds you take before you drop to the floor stone dead! (said in the nicest possible way of course :sly:) Hardcore is as close to real as you can get. Only super heroes can shake off half a clip from an AK47, turn around, and kill you smiling. it just isn't done. Guns are lethal instruments, hardcore reminds us all just how lethal they really are.

Well let me just run and jump around as if I'm on speed carrying a stinger missile before calling in a harrier strike on 6 people and be able to get a perfect bead on an enemy 50 metres away in a tenth of a second. Yes you can do all those things on Core, but it's almost balanced in terms of the game by having some extra health to compensate.

Hardcore CAN be as close to real as COD gets, or it can be just as unreal but with you dying faster depending how people play. Either way though, I'd never call it realistic although it is most certainly different. Not to mention the small linear nature of maps with you needing to pass through at least 1 of just 3 or 4 different sections to get from one side to another. Hardcore, although MORE realistic is not realistic for all the same reasons COD isn't in general minus one. It would be like having a game like NFS Undercover, making your car total in one hit and saying it's realistic, it's more so, but it's not near enough to be labeled a simulation which is as close to real as it gets.

It sounds like you can ONLY engage at a distance. Switch to a more powerful weapon so you can drop these guys faster. And honestly, if they are avoiding the fire lanes and getting behind you, isn't that just being smart? You'd have the same issue with my Run and Gun class coming up from behind and just point blanking everyone. In those situations you are dead either way.

Like I said, more stopping power and they won't get close enough to you anyhow, even in closer quarters. Maybe use a shotgun when working buildings?

And for arrogance, check your own. You seem to think you know the best way to play this game and like to remind us about it - Silencer and Cold Blooded...

I never said it's the best way to play, go and quote me saying that, it's better for me yes, but I never said my way is best and you're being arrogant in assuming because I say I play this way, I think it's best.

In close quarters a knife makes sense and you're completely missing my point, I think a man running around with a knife in combat is stupid, not because it gets them killed, not because they do badly, not because they get a worse score, because of the entire notion of it. I think the nuke is stupid, I think many of the streak rewards are stupid but you have to use them or you get destroyed.

The simple fact is these people DON'T get behind me, I position myself to avoid easily being flanked, by often being on the flank with my team on my weak side cover wise. Thats void of my own point though, I don't like how unrealistic COD is because of things like this, streak rewards, knifing, no-scopes, they all work to get good scores but I just don't see many knifers in around the areas that matter, killing people is all well and good but you need more then that to be effective outside of TDM. It's not uncommon to see a team with more kills and less deaths lose a domination or other objective game when there are people playing like this.

To also reverse your own suggestion, swapping to a more powerful weapon in CQB, why not swap to something that isn't a knife when not in that situation? Knifing works in some situations, but it's effect is limited massively dependant on the game itself. It's a fine TDM tactic, but a limited killzone and playing havoc with spawn points makes it relatively useless in modes like Demolition, Domination, SnD bar specific situations which occur every so often. On the attack it can be useful, but on the D it's just not as the enemy either spawns right around you anyway or the spawn points get moved so everyone elses defence is knocked off.

Basically, why have a class which means you COULD use your primary weapon as you need, and swap to a knife as you need, and then just use the knife so you're half as effective as you could be? Just like you can have a shotgun and an assault rifle, and then you're silly to use the shotgun at range and indoors rather then swap between.

If you can give me a good reason why you should use a knife ALL the time on a map like say Wasteland rather then use the option of your assault rifle or even sniper at times, then perhaps I'll drop it. I'm not arguing against using your knife, or running and gunning, I'm arguing that just using your knife ONLY means you're deliberately not using your primary weapon at range when you could for something like defending a bomb base. A knife should come with a 'use as appropriate' carving into the side, just like you wouldn't use a rifle all the time if you have a shotgun for indoors, why would you use a knife for open areas when you could use a rifle?

Put yourself in these shoes, the enemy just planted the bomb on Wasteland, you run to defuse the bomb and an enemy has spotted you, and it will be almost invariably be on the opposite side to your own team. The enemy can now throw a grenade, run into a position to shoot you, whatever. Now, your team-mate spots him, what would you rather your team-mate do, shoot him with his assault rifle or other primary weapon, or run at him to knife him as quickly as possible? Keeping in mind it is likely that your team-mate won't be very close to him on such a map, and you're on a very tight time limit. You're only hope to defuse that bomb is if someone shoots the enemy as they come in, otherwise they have to run into the firing line and get themselves killed in order to get close to a team rushing to stop you defusing.
 
Last edited:
Back