Cappuccino Cup Racing Series :: SEASON 2 PODIUM: Wardez, WiiFreak, dsgerbc/dmanaenk!!

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 838 comments
Going to be able to make it tomorrow, will need to work on my manual shifting though. Hopefully my connection holds up.

I'll try to make all the races this week. I can't see why I wouldn't be able to.

MÜLE_9242;5677912
I'll try to make all the races this week. I can't see why I wouldn't be able to.

Would you possibly be able to host Saturday's race? I'll be at Mid-Ohio watching the Indy Car and ALMS races. I should be around for Friday's race though.

Monza was fun last night. For anyone that hasn't tried it yet, we are running on racing hards and there is a massive amount of grip relative to the sports softs. Make sure you get in a few laps practice to find the limit of the car. I shaved 4 seconds off at Monza after what I thought was a good lap on racing hards, because you can push the car so much and it's much more forgiving.

Monza was fun last night. For anyone that hasn't tried it yet, we are running on racing hards and there is a massive amount of grip relative to the sports softs. Make sure you get in a few laps practice to find the limit of the car. I shaved 4 seconds off at Monza after what I thought was a good lap on racing hards, because you can push the car so much and it's much more forgiving.

And, I should clarify that the rules for Monza will be that all green pavement is legal track, grass is not. So cut the hell out of the chicane! :)

Would you possibly be able to host Saturday's race? I'll be at Mid-Ohio watching the Indy Car and ALMS races. I should be around for Friday's race though.

I'll let you know by Friday.

MÜLE_9242;5679592
I'll let you know by Friday.

Thanks.

To clarify a little more about this week's event, "All-Star" doesn't mean anything specifically, just a generic term for a mid-season non points paying race. This is kind of a test bed for some ideas I have for next season, the main things being the different tire compound and the change in format of 2 back-to-back sprint races instead 1 longer race. I don't know that either of those things will carry on to next season but this gives everyone an opportunity to test them out and give me feedback. My main goal for the Capp Cup is to make sure everyone from the front-runners to the back-markers has lots of fun and looks forward to every event.

As always, I'm open to feedback and ideas/suggestions so feel free to share your opinions after the event tonight. Let me know what was good, what was bad and if it was as fun/more fun than our normal races. I don't have much experience with these cars on the Race Hard tires and I'm not sure if Monza is the best track to test them out since there isn't a whole lot of turning, but it sure was fun during our practice races last night! I know tires are a hot-topic so I'll do further testing with the Race Hard compound in addition to the Monza races.

I've added a highlight video to the OP from Grand Valley East. The music was created by my buddy John Teshima on his iPad. He's just learning how to use GarageBand so it's a little unpolished and I had to crudely loop it in the video editing app, but it's something a little different and I don't have to worry about YouTube rejecting it because of DRM. The video features highlights from all 3 races last week. Enjoy!

I hope to get in this tonight, but it's really up to my daughter ;) at least if I miss one race, I can jump in the second. Anyone got a good starting place for the tranny setting? I won't have time to test to even get a ball park.

Menown
I hope to get in this tonight, but it's really up to my daughter ;) at least if I miss one race, I can jump in the second. Anyone got a good starting place for the tranny setting? I won't have time to test to even get a ball park.

I had mine set at 180mph last night and that seemed to be ok but I think 1 notch lower might be a little better for the turns. Just remember that the draft can add 5-10 mph to your top speed so make sure you have enough gear to accommodate that extra speed.

Also, another reminder that all green pavement is consider usable track for this race so be sure to use it wherever you see it. The biggest place will be the first chicane but there is also some usable green pavement at the Ascari chicane that could save you some time. Cutting the grass or sand is illegal.

I'll try to open the lounge about a half hour early so we can get some extra practice.

I'm opening my lounge now for some early practice. Remember to put your Race Hard tires on!

I was wrong about the transmission settings, I was running it at 168 mph last night, not 180.

Congratulations to yuritardid on being the overall winner in tonight's races. I'll tally and post the final results tomorrow morning. We had some interesting and exciting racing tonight, looking forward to Friday!

imageqjm.jpg

imageuxp.jpg

Well that was largely depressing. Spent most of my time lapping alone, which I guess was a good thing, as everytime I got near another car I ruined their race for them. Obviously my apologies to everyone, totally drove like crap tonight.

Before I say anything else in this thread, I want to publicly apologize to zer05ive for my nasty hipcheck in the second race. It was completely uncalled for and something that frankly, should be a penalty.

Though it does really suck when you're on the front row and taken out on the first lap and lose the draft :/

It seems there were more than a few mistakes made tonight. I rammed someone in the 1st race and got wiped out deep into the sand in the 2nd. Im not taking it as a big deal though becuase it was only an "all star" race, its not going to kill anyones season. My last race was grand valley last tues. and it was one of the best GT5 races Ive ever been in and I think the rest of this season will follow those lines as oppsed to the racing that took place tonight.

It seems there were more than a few mistakes made tonight. I rammed someone in the 1st race and got wiped out deep into the sand in the 2nd. Im not taking it as a big deal though becuase it was only an "all star" race, its not going to kill anyones season. My last race was grand valley last tues. and it was one of the best GT5 races Ive ever been in and I think the rest of this season will follow those lines as oppsed to the racing that took place tonight.

You got caught up in the same accident that I did, only on the other side of the track.

How it went down was basically, I had a slow start, and two guys passed me off the line (1st gear was too long). The guy directly in front of me decided to hit his brakes in the first turn (which you do NOT need to do) while at the same time, cutting into the grass to get under the 2nd guy. Low and behold, he ends up giving the 2nd guy a big hit, knocking the 2nd guy sideways in the middle of the track, and I was the unlucky guy who ate his wheel.

At the same time, your group is trying to get their way by this mess, and you got clipped ever so slightly by a guy who had nowhere to go and ate the 2nd guys other right-side wheel.

Purely a racing incident, but to the guy who hit his brakes, that was purely unnecessary. Ended 3 peoples races in the first turn. 👎

When the incident in the 2nd race happend I wasnt too worried, I managed to keep it straight and my speed up. It was when I tried to turn back onto the track that I lost my traction and still had a sea of sand between me and the track. But there are still 2 more of these races to be run so if I can make it to them Im sure my finish will be better.

MÜLE_9242;5682809
You got caught up in the same accident that I did, only on the other side of the track.

How it went down was basically, I had a slow start, and two guys passed me off the line (1st gear was too long). The guy directly in front of me decided to hit his brakes in the first turn (which you do NOT need to do) while at the same time, cutting into the grass to get under the 2nd guy. Low and behold, he ends up giving the 2nd guy a big hit, knocking the 2nd guy sideways in the middle of the track, and I was the unlucky guy who ate his wheel.

At the same time, your group is trying to get their way by this mess, and you got clipped ever so slightly by a guy who had nowhere to go and ate the 2nd guys other right-side wheel.

Purely a racing incident, but to the guy who hit his brakes, that was purely unnecessary. Ended 3 peoples races in the first turn. 👎

Well, quite the reaction to last night's race! This is why I've been opposed to a track like Monza being in the regular schedule, it's far too chaotic and volatile because one person's small mistake can ruin 2 or 3 people's race. I have to watch the replay of the second race, all I know is we were freight-training down the straight and I was in about 5 place when all of a sudden the 3 lead cars turned sideways and spun out. I couldn't see what caused it but I know we were all going very fast!

I was hitting 150mph in the draft which is crazy fast in this little car! I had no idea how the car would react at those speeds so found myself being a bit overly cautious which proved to be both beneficial and detrimental depending on the circumstances. I think anybody who was lacking in high-speed drafting experience found themselves in unfamiliar territory which was probably the cause of some of the carnage. But, that's exactly why I picked Monza for this event because it really provides some good learning experience but won't hurt anybody's points standings. :)

Here is the final tally for last night's races:

1. yuritardid - 25, 22: 47
2. Wardez - 20, 25: 45
3. aceboy127 - 22, 18: 40
4. BrandonW77 - 14, 20: 34
5. dsgerbc - 16, 14: 30
-- torzilla - 12, 10: 22
-- Freakyweakywoo - 10, 12: 22
8. GTP_CAMikaze - 6, 16: 22
9. WiiFreak - 18, 0: 18
10. zer05ive - 8,0: 8
11. MULE_9242 - 5, 0: 5

I just watched the second race replay because while I was concentrating on my own driving I had no idea what was going on behind me. I have to say, the first half of the race was some of the most spectacular, door handle to door handle, nose to tail racing I've seen in the series. In the first 2 laps or so, there were about 7 of us you could throw a blanket over. On lap 1 or 2, 5 of us went into the last hairpin both side by side and nose to tail, with just inches between all 5 of us and came out unscathed. Myself, Brandon, Wardez, Wii and Ace broke away as a pack until Ace had a slight bobble around lap 3 or 4 and fell back a second or two.

On the third lap I think, I passed both Brandon and Wardez on the front straight after one of them had pulled out to pass the other and didn't quite have the momentum. I was building up speed from 100 feet back and by the time I reached them I was flying.

It was shaping up to be a great 4 way battle to the finish when Wardez and I opened up a small gap of about a second or a bit more on Wii and Brandon, which they could easily have made up bump drafting when unfortunately, Wii was disconnected, leaving Brandon out to dry. Wardez kept giving me a boost and we pulled a second or two on Brandon, much to his dismay I'm sure...lol.

In the end, Wardez, heretofore know as "The Sandbagger" lulled me into thinking he was struggling through the first chicane lap after lap so on the last lap I eased up as I had the previous few laps, when he flew through the chicane like his ex-wife was hunting him down for alimony, pulled a small gap and I just couldn't catch him after that. Brilliant strategy I must say and my hat is off to you Wardez...lol.

I think if we get a little more practice time there and it was part of the regular schedule, Monza with or without (my preference) would make a fine addition to the schedule and certainly something different, requiring a whole different race strategy.

Last edited:
For sure it was some intense racing! I think it was a good learning experience for everyone. I know in my case a lot of the driving skill was in part due to the race hard tires, it was easier for me to avoid contact without sacrificing speed or entry line. I found myself in some very hairy situations that would have resulted in tears had I been on sports softs but with the grippier tires everyone came out unharmed and still battling for position. That's the kind of racing I'd like to have in every Capp Cup race!

On a totally unrelated note, I have seem some pretty elaborate and crazy wheel setups but this one takes the cake!!
http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/03/outrun-ar-project-lets-you-game-and-drive-at-the-same-time-make/

I hit Zero, which I feel really bad for, as he is having the worst luck so far.

I haven't seen the replay yet, but from memory

I was in a draft with zero and cam, the steering was really odd, like my front downforce was gone, in a flash my right side was on the grass, expecting a sudden pull to the left, I tapped the brakes but it was too late. A pit manoeuvre on Zero and a disaster for everyone else.

I have no experience of racing in a draft and it showed. Steep learning curve.

I hit Zero, which I feel really bad for, as he is having the worst luck so far.

I haven't seen the replay yet, but from memory

I was in a draft with zero and cam, the steering was really odd, like my front downforce was gone, in a flash my right side was on the grass, expecting a sudden pull to the left, I tapped the brakes but it was too late. A pit manoeuvre on Zero and a disaster for everyone else.

I have no experience of racing in a draft and it showed. Steep learning curve.

No worries mate, at least not from my end. Incidents happen and you've properly apologized which is what matters. Racing with this extreme draft is a different art-form that most of us aren't used to, so this was a good experience for everyone. It's very tricky when you find yourself suddenly going 10-15mph faster than you're used to and have to adjust on the fly, especially with cars in front of and behind you. Hopefully everyone has taken away 1 or 2 valuable lessons from last night. 👍

We might use this track during fun races for training purposes. The racing produced here (especially without the chicane) is rather different from most of the races we run, but the lessons learned can be applied to every track. I really enjoyed the racing last night and I hope, despite the incidents, everyone else did too. But I think we all agree, it's a good thing this week's races don't count for points. :lol:

MÜLE_9242;5682552
Before I say anything else in this thread, I want to publicly apologize to zer05ive for my nasty hipcheck in the second race. It was completely uncalled for and something that frankly, should be a penalty.

Though it does really suck when you're on the front row and taken out on the first lap and lose the draft :/

Thanks for the apology, but I must admit that it lost a lot of its meaning to me when you seamingly justified what you did by explaining that that you got taken out on the first lap and lost the draft. I was a victim of that incident as well and also lost the draft, but I didn't intentionally wreck anyone as a result. One thing that's worse than being taken out on the first lap and losing the draft is being taken out twice on the first lap, the second time intentionally by one of the stewards no less. I'm over it though, let's just drop it. At least you were man enough to apologize in the first place.

It looks like this was more of a learning experience than I thought! Hopefully cool heads will prevail on Friday and Saturday. We can do some practice sessions on Thursday evening if anybody wants to get some drafting practice before the next race. I have to say that I believe this track creates the most extreme drafting I've seen in this car. At one point I was drafting behind someone about 3/4's of the way down the front stretch, tooling along at a cool 147mph when all of a sudden I see Aceboy come zooming past us doing at least 155mph!! He had been a ways behind us for most of the stretch, giving him lots of time to build up a huge head of steam. I kid you not, I was holding on for dear life thinking "I can't believe we're going this fast!" and I about crapped myself when Aceboy came zipping down the inside of us! NUTS!!! :crazy:

Im going to open a practice room in about an hour, right now its 2:05 est, Im going to run 3 lap races. Ill post the room number here if anyone whants to practice

Back