Car for a drifting noob ?

• Thread starter Bail
  • 109 comments
Bailg
Hello,

I'm new to drifting and would like to learn how to well drift basically, but what car is best to learn in? My budget at the moment is 100K or under.

Thanks.

Amuse S2000 Street Version (found in the Used Lot), or any non-racing S2000 if you're having trouble finding that one.

S13 Silvia is a good choice, Sileighty will work but has a pretty different feel from the Silvia, if it pops up in your used lot grab it so you can try them both out. And FC3S could work or FD3S could work, but I don't feel they're quite as good for just starting out as the others. Drifting involves a lot of personal preference though, so you might take to them right away.

Avoid overpowered cars as they'll teach you to rely on power to break traction. The AE86 is, surprisingly, another I would suggest avoiding. It's not nearly as beginner friendly as you'd expect.

I'd go (Front/Back) Sports Hard/Comfort Soft or Comfort Soft/Comfort Medium starting out. People run all sorts of tire setups. I used to never run different fronts and rears but now I do.

Edit: DO NOT GO WITH THE MIATA, I really hope 0wnage was joking when he said that :P

I'd go for the s13 , comfort hards and a mid range turbo and you'll be laughing, then you can upgrade it to the level mines at and it can hit some serious angles and speeds :)

i think a general rule of thumb (for me at least...) is an FR car with close to or more than 400hp... you dont need 400hp to drift, i just find it easier to hold a big drift... I currently use a nissan 300zx twin turbo with about 490 hp... i think most people would agree that almost any mid 90's Japanese FR car with more than 300hp has the potential to be a pretty good drift car, but more classic cars, like the Toyota Corolla GT, Nissan 240sx, or Nissan Silvia would be great to start out with... In the end, it comes down to personal preference, so try a few cars out and see what you like best.

Hello,

I'm new to drifting and would like to learn how to well drift basically, but what car is best to learn in? My budget at the moment is 100K or under.

Thanks.

I started off with the Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A "which can be bought in dealership brand new" all i have on it right now is Comfort Soft Tires & Stage 3 Turbo :] and it drifts So~So but, I need to get a Full Suspension Upgrade To Change Things Up A Bit!

Hello,

Thanks.

EVO IV PREMIUM FROM THE Dealership and install the race mod !!! u will get perfect drifts easy !!

watch my pics this is mine , drifts like a beast

154392_10150325543285444_631100443_16054912_6317693_n.jpg

155951_10150325543345444_631100443_16054914_4073740_n.jpg

148566_10150325543455444_631100443_16054917_3131781_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...325543545444_631100443_16054920_6950460_n.jpg

155808_10150325543545444_631100443_16054920_6950460_n.jpg

I personally find the Holden monaro CV8 '04 to be a good stock drifter
( other versions are the pontiac GTO and the Vauxhall Monaro )

C63 AMG. Turn the wheel and give it gas and you're already sideways. Feather the throttle and coutersteer and you'll be drifting in no time

I use a weak as hell Mistubishi Lancer 1971. Its got the power to perform drifts bone stock, without having to worry about soo much power spinning you around. Very Very easy car to learn to drift with. Ok. I'm not sure on the year. Might be 73. But its one of if not the only really old ass Lancer and it drifts like a dream. Even easy to transition. Btw, I'm using a wheel that I'm still getting used to. After that, I'd say try a Tesla Roadster. Also good power, no worries on shifting though.

I use a weak as hell Mistubishi Lancer 1971. Its got the power to perform drifts bone stock, without having to worry about soo much power spinning you around. Very Very easy car to learn to drift with. Ok. I'm not sure on the year. Might be 73. But its one of if not the only really old ass Lancer and it drifts like a dream. Even easy to transition. Btw, I'm using a wheel that I'm still getting used to. After that, I'd say try a Tesla Roadster. Also good power, no worries on shifting though.

Is it the Lancer 1800GSR? That's my favorite car to drift :P Hadn't seen anyone else running it.

I've been using a Toyota FT-86 for drifting. I have everything stock except for an ecu upgrade. It's free (after winning the FR challenge of course) and it gets sideways easily.

I'll agree with the FT-86, that was a nice one to drift straight out of the box

Also the premium M3 BMW i found was quite nice to drift straight off the showroom floor

Hello,

Thanks.

Remember this,
When I drift, I cannot use cockpit while drifting, Cause I dont really have good vision of barriers and what not. So your not forced to really get a premium car, Regardless, since I haven't tried drifting yet, what I used in prologue (Premiums) were,

an Rx7, or (more preferred) a nissan 3(5/7)0z

you should also buy comfort hard tires for both (Since they probably don't come with them)

Good luck, I suggest practicing on Eiger!

While the MX5/Roadster/Miata is a fantastic little car, it is anything but ideal for drifting. The balance of it combined with the incredibly short wheelbase make it very tempermental and difficult to hold long drifts in.

I saw a video a while back that had some of the professional US and Japan drifters competing with one another, with Keiichi Tsuchiya overseeing the challenges. One of the challenges was with the MX5, and these world class drivers were obviously struggling significantly with it.

It's most certainly not a car to suggest to a beginner.

No, its not joke. If it was a joke i will said that the beautiful car for drifting is Clio Renault Sport V6 :dopey: :D:D:D

HAHAHA!! That's hilarious! For anyone who doesn't get this joke, I would suggest you try to drift one :D or just try to drive one! Those cars are so unstable.

But seriously, I think a good beginner's car would be a stock 350Z. That's what I learned on anyway, and it worked for me.

To learn on controller, i used a basic modified S13, LSD, coilovers, Comfort: Medium tyres, around 220bhp, stage 1 weight redution, stock tune apart from -1.0 camber on the front and lowered a little and it worked a treat. I'm now using that same car with the same setup to learn drifting on the wheel and things seem to be going great. Although alot of people say S13, they say it for a reason, it's easy to drift with little power and its perfect to learn how a car reactions while sideways, weight transfer and how to carry your speed alot more instead of just relying on lots of power to keep the back wheels spinning.

Hope that helps.

To learn on controller, i used a basic modified S13, LSD, coilovers, Comfort: Medium tyres, around 220bhp, stage 1 weight redution, stock tune apart from -1.0 camber on the front and lowered a little and it worked a treat. I'm now using that same car with the same setup to learn drifting on the wheel and things seem to be going great. Although alot of people say S13, they say it for a reason, it's easy to drift with little power and its perfect to learn how a car reactions while sideways, weight transfer and how to carry your speed alot more instead of just relying on lots of power to keep the back wheels spinning.

Hope that helps.

I think I'm going to try to learn in a really unorthodox car. I'm going to go through the dealerships when I have enough money and just go with my gut feeling. I bet the 2010 Camaro, DB9, and some of those crazy concepts/sema winners will get a good look from me. That Hyaundai and Toyota concept look sick, as well as a lot of the Amuse cars. I may start with the Amuse 350z thingy, the back bumper makes me laugh.

There's a 350Z driving around town where I live that looks a lot like that 380rs superleggera...I'm pretty sure it isn't...but the wing is similar and it has that rear bumper.

Very clean, nice looking car. I haven't had a chance to check it out in any of the parking garages yet, hoping to catch it before too long. I got to check out a GT-R right when they were first available on the way to dinner one day, just saw it chillin in the middle of the garage :)

There's a 350Z driving around town where I live that looks a lot like that 380rs superleggera...I'm pretty sure it isn't...but the wing is similar and it has that rear bumper.

Very clean, nice looking car. I haven't had a chance to check it out in any of the parking garages yet, hoping to catch it before too long. I got to check out a GT-R right when they were first available on the way to dinner one day, just saw it chillin in the middle of the garage :)

I strangely think the super leggera is a great looking car, it looks like it was designed to destroy the track :)

The Dome-Zero Concept (bone stock, no driver aids) is a freaking drift machine. So easy to flick it in a corner and control it. Great for starters.

It's not cheap (Cr 104,400) but worth it. Get the Mercedes C63 AMG. It's easy to drift but loads of torque and power being a big V8. Be careful with it!!
NrburgringGP_F_5.jpg

450 hp stock and that's plenty. Or if you want a cheaper alternative, as others have said Silvia, Miata (MX5).

It's not cheap (Cr 104,400) but worth it. Get the Mercedes C63 AMG. It's easy to drift but loads of torque and power being a big V8. Be careful with it!!

450 hp stock and that's plenty. Or if you want a cheaper alternative, as others have said Silvia, Miata (MX5).

I won that car yesterday, forget from what though.

Any advise between all the Nissans? s13, s15, 240sx, 350z, etc etc.

I hear they're all good drift cars. Which should I start with?

Back