Car for a drifting noob ?

• Thread starter Bail
  • 109 comments
Hello everyone ,i just bought my G27 and wana learn how to drift , picked nissan silvia s15 , so is it good for begginer? :)

Any advise between all the Nissans? s13, s15, 240sx, 350z, etc etc.

I hear they're all good drift cars. Which should I start with?

Personaly I would say the 350z. I started with that and after 2 hours of practice and tuning I could drift round nearly every corner.

It may not be accepted as a "proper" drift car, but a high power Skyline will more than do the job.
Sure it's AWD and requires a lot less skill to slide about, but it's still just as much fun.
I've had many moments using a R34 as a Ken Block Gymkhana car, to just drift about for fun.

ktr
The Dome-Zero Concept (bone stock, no driver aids) is a freaking drift machine. So easy to flick it in a corner and control it. Great for starters.

I just won this car... going to try and drift it tonight, thanks.

While the MX5/Roadster/Miata is a fantastic little car, it is anything but ideal for drifting. The balance of it combined with the incredibly short wheelbase make it very tempermental and difficult to hold long drifts in.

I saw a video a while back that had some of the professional US and Japan drifters competing with one another, with Keiichi Tsuchiya overseeing the challenges. One of the challenges was with the MX5, and these world class drivers were obviously struggling significantly with it.

It's most certainly not a car to suggest to a beginner.

lots of useful commentaries there

anyway, i started with the amemiya FD and for some reason I couldn't hold the drift long enough so i can link corners. so i tried another car, which is the EvoX, and worked wonders. i set F/R torque distribution to 10/90 to somehow mimic an FR, but it's still AWD since i can't set the diff to 100 rear.

Last edited:
i for one think that if you can find a 86 this is the car that i learned on in FM3. With the right tune on it from a pro I took the car down the mountain pass and learned eventually. I have not gone through all the track here but are there any mountain tracks

i for one think that if you can find a 86 this is the car that i learned on in FM3. With the right tune on it from a pro I took the car down the mountain pass and learned eventually. I have not gone through all the track here but are there any mountain tracks

Ive heard the AE86 is kind of difficult to learn with on GT5, probably because of the short wheelbase. Im sure its rewarding if you stick with it though.

i first tried it with the tuned up S2000 (forgot the name) in Arcade mode and didnt do so well. switched to the 350z and managed to pull off a perfect drift on Tsukuba on my first try.

Use the Sleighty myself. It's stupid easy to drift though my only gripe is that it drifts slow. I'm constantly knocked off the track by faster cars mid drift.

Early on in the Used Cars dealership there is a beautiful Nissan Altezza which is actually designed as a drift car. At 296 hp and 50:50 weight distribution, it is a perfect car to drift on for beginners and pros alike. Did I mention it looks really sick?
Unfortunately, I was not a high enough level to buy it when I saw it. However if anyone happens to find one, you should definitely buy it. And if you don't want it, trade it to me :D

I havent really tried drifting in GT5 yet, but in Prologue I found that the tuned cappuccino was an awesome drift car. And please don't laugh at me, this is serious :P

I found it was a really good starter car. I tried the S2000's and the D1 spec cars right of the bat and didn't fair so well. "The Cap" definitely taught Me how to drift!

Early on in the Used Cars dealership there is a beautiful Nissan Altezza which is actually designed as a drift car. At 296 hp and 50:50 weight distribution, it is a perfect car to drift on for beginners and pros alike. Did I mention it looks really sick?
Unfortunately, I was not a high enough level to buy it when I saw it. However if anyone happens to find one, you should definitely buy it. And if you don't want it, trade it to me :D
I got one as a prize last night. I'll have to try it.. But I thought it was FF lol..

Last edited:
I first started drifting on gt4 in the toms chaser, well balanced and long wheelbase makes it very progressive, now i'll drift anything, for laughs try using a pickup on comfort hards, as much power as possible and stock suspension and gears. Most importantly keep trying and find the car that suits your style. Personally I don't like using the handbrake

One thing that improved my drifting the most was learning to do thingss smoothly, i use the the old driving force pro and im able to drift very well for anyone out there who thinks they need a g27 or whatever. Drifting can be done with any wheel, and with the controller, and any FR has potential to drift,just practice, practice, practice, and think smoooth with everything u do. :sly:👍

Hands down best car to learn bone stock is a m3.
I just bought a e46 csl m3 and its perfect bone stock
Just slap some comfort hards are you're good to go.
I've been ripping it up in all tracks with it and its good in tandem too.

IMO, the best starter car is the FT86. Just turn everything off. Get the tires worn to about 80% and it's very noob friendly.

cappuccino (yeah, i'm serious),just tune it to 100+ hp, comfort medium tyres, tinker a little with the suspensions and voila, the cappuccino surprisingly fast for a little car and kinda stable IMO, just try it and see if it bows down to you

IMO, the best starter car is the FT86. Just turn everything off. Get the tires worn to about 80% and it's very noob friendly.

I was actually surprised how much trouble the FT86 gave me drifting. I've been drifting for a while and just could not put that car where I wanted it, which bothered me because it was the new car I was most looking forward to driving in GT5. Maybe it was just a bad day, I'll give it another go.

I learnt to drift on GT5 with an '07 mx5, and im not a great driver in GT5 in general, struggling to get to lvl 24. So saying its a bad car for drifting is a load of ****, you just need the right tune/set up.

AE86 is good for starting, no assist and No ABS. Gotta master Drifting with no ABS and with ABS. I'm through that

Last edited:
Great car for beginners and advanced drifters, very well balanced. Try it out :)

Eunos Roadster J-Limited (NA) '91
233hp
840kg
Stage 3 weight reduction
Window weight reduction
Carbon hood
Chassis reinforcement
ECU tuning
Stage 3 engine tuning
Sports intake manifold
Racing air filter
Sports exhaust manifold