Car for a drifting noob ?

• Thread starter Bail
  • 109 comments
Everyone has so many different opinions it's crazy haha. I still think the C63 is one of the best, but one of my noob drifting friends says that the 350Z is very well balanced

Great car for beginners and advanced drifters, very well balanced. Try it out :)

Eunos Roadster J-Limited (NA) '91
233hp
840kg
Fully tuned (buy all parts)
Tires: Confort Hard front and rear
Brake balance: 3 front, 5 rear
Transmission: Custom Top Speed 124
LSD: Initial 60, Accel 60, Braking 60
Ride height: -10 front, -10 rear
Spring rate: 10.6 front, 10.4 rear
Dampers Ex: 6 front, 6 rear
Dampers Comp: 6 front, 6 rear
Anti-Roll: 5 front, 4 rear
Camber: 2.0 front, 1.2 rear
Toe: -0.15 front, 0.03 rear
All assists OFF.

thanks man. i am new to drifting. i hope this helps me catch up.

cheers:cheers:

I'm really struggling to learn how to drift. I've bought an S15, left it stock apart from comfort hards and I either go straight into the wall or over compensate and go into the opposite wall grrrrrrr!

Using a DFGT. Any other hints?

I started with an S15 too and yes, it was hard. I've never tried drifting before, with a wheel, and wasn't quite ready for the learning curve.

I use a G27 and have my FFB on 5 with power assisted steering on.

I found this tuning set up on this site:

S15 Race Mod Tune For wheel users
Buy Every Part Possible
Aero
20f 20r
Transmission
168 mph
LSD
10 45 40
Suspension
Ride height
-25 f -25r
spring rate 6.3 f 6.0 r
all dampeners 3
anti roll bars 3 f 6 r
camber 3.0f 1.4 r
toe -.20 f -.40 rear
comfort hard or mediums f and r

brakes 4 f 7 r

Thanks to the guy who wrote it although I've copied and pasted this from an email I sent my home account so can't recall which thread it came from.

Read advice on control. Watch some instructional clips on youtube and most importantly, give it some time. It will come to a point where you finally get it and then you can work on being a bit more consistent.

It takes a fair amount of hours before you get much back so be patient.

thanks for the setup advice, it must just be me lol

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Fishtail, bump, slide, overcorrect, bump, understeer massively, bump.

:(

LOL... sounds very familiar.

I'm still waiting to get the stage when I can link drift but for now, happy I can pull off some nice single corners.

Good luck.

I just bought the Amemya RX-7 and i think it could be a great car for a noob. just slap comfort softs on it and leave all stock settings.

The thread is awesome, I thought I was the only one that finds drifting is really hard,
right car + right setup .. ok now to dealership

I rock a spirit r FD3S and a sileighty that is modified to 402hp. The FD3S has 600+.
I prefer the sileighty for the more technical course cause with the less power when linking it the chances of it spinning or over doing it are very small but as was said earlier lots of power for bigger turns. I definatly recommend an s-chassis or Rx-7.
Good Luck!

LOL... sounds very familiar.

I'm still waiting to get the stage when I can link drift but for now, happy I can pull off some nice single corners.

Good luck.

There is a lot of learning to come, and once you get the overall feel of the car, and when you are able to tell what the car is doing before it actually does it, you will be better at judging corners and linking corners.

But getting a feel for the car whether the speed you have is going to carry you to far and adjusting prior to going off will help a lot. Just over and over till you get it.

AE86 is good for starting, no assist and No ABS. Gotta master Drifting with no ABS and with ABS. I'm through that

This. The '00 S. Shigeno Version in particular only needs a set of hard comfort tyres with all assists off and it's ready to drift! ;)

There is a lot of learning to come, and once you get the overall feel of the car, and when you are able to tell what the car is doing before it actually does it, you will be better at judging corners and linking corners.

But getting a feel for the car whether the speed you have is going to carry you to far and adjusting prior to going off will help a lot. Just over and over till you get it.

Yes! I changed to an S13 which helped considerably. I even managed to link some drifts on Tsukuba for the first time and doubled my score. I'll stick with that car for now as it seems out of the 4 I have, the easiest to control.

Cheers for the advice mate.

Personally, of all my cars, I find the good ol' 190E Merc to be the easiest and most fun drifting machine. I've done every mod on it, but the suspension setup remains almost stock, I believe I added a little bit of camber on both ends and lowered it. Also "locked" the diff. Drifts like a dream, I haven't actually managed to spin out once in it, even though I've thrown it around like a madman!

For more "serious" drifting I've used the hooooooooot C63!

Both Mercs: absolutely brilliant. And just how cool does that old evo look flying sideways, smoke pouring from the tires? :sly:

Don't know just how good those Datsuns might be, for some reason I've "promised" myself to not go anywhere near them. Too mainstream for my liking. Am I an elitist or what?! :yuck:

EVO IV PREMIUM FROM THE Dealership and install the race mod !!! u will get perfect drifts easy !!

watch my pics this is mine , drifts like a beast

154392_10150325543285444_631100443_16054912_6317693_n.jpg

155951_10150325543345444_631100443_16054914_4073740_n.jpg

148566_10150325543455444_631100443_16054917_3131781_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...325543545444_631100443_16054920_6950460_n.jpg

155808_10150325543545444_631100443_16054920_6950460_n.jpg

yes , maybe it does , well,, i'm sure it does but with what settings? ^__^

Yes! I changed to an S13 which helped considerably. I even managed to link some drifts on Tsukuba for the first time and doubled my score. I'll stick with that car for now as it seems out of the 4 I have, the easiest to control.

Cheers for the advice mate.

Yeah the S13 is fun, but since I do not have a wheel I don't think that is a very well balanced car. There is too much power from a turbo that just keeps it all spinning at once. If you are on a controller, when you are able to get some money together try to get ahold of a 350Z, or C63 with some power available at the push of a button. They're a little more balanced and all motor so the power is pretty smooth

I did not start to drift in GT5, but in GT5P I really liked the Viper in all its forms.

Quite good to control, plenty of torque. Could pull of long drifts that I did not do with other cars.

the best car i found is the mazda euronus roadster you don't need really to do any thing to it and it drifts pretty well with a controller though i have foung even mildly tuned it still a bit under powered but you get use to it. though i have had a bit of abuse because apparently "its not a proper drift car" also you get from winning a race im not sure which one but you win it.so hope this helps:tup:

I avoided drifting (trophy and seasonals) for an year before trying (STOCK!) the TVR T350C and the last generation Lotus Esprit. The first is very progressive and now I can easy take seasonal golds, the second has a taller gear, but just a step behind.

The sessional drift sessions tip is very recomended for who is starting.
Even my dog can reach bronze medal on any stock car with Confort Hards.

Tsukuba or Autumn Ring Mini.

Both are great choices. However, I'd say Autumn Ring Mini Reverse is a better learner track than the forward config. The banking on some of the corners and straights is very tricky when running the forward track. Very precise throttle control is needed to not get shot off the track. I find Reverse to be much more forgiving.

While the MX5/Roadster/Miata is a fantastic little car, it is anything but ideal for drifting. The balance of it combined with the incredibly short wheelbase make it very tempermental and difficult to hold long drifts in.

I saw a video a while back that had some of the professional US and Japan drifters competing with one another, with Keiichi Tsuchiya overseeing the challenges. One of the challenges was with the MX5, and these world class drivers were obviously struggling significantly with it.

It's most certainly not a car to suggest to a beginner.
I remember that, it was white right? It was fully stock, no engine or suspension upgrades, that's why they were struggling.

To the kid shouting about the Evo IV (with a picture of an IX), go sit in a hole for a while.

Don't take this person's advice, use FR/MR/RR, and avoid race mod cars, they're RACE cars, not DRIFT cars (it's in the name). They give too much downforce and will put you off when you try a normal car (not to mention most competitions ban such models).

To learn in, I would suggest a standard/premium FC RX-7

Example:

Siena_Piazza_del_Campo_3.jpg

They top out at about 434hp which is perfect for learning, some may go for the mid range turbo as there will be less turbo lag (around 405hp), but if you tune the gear ratio's correctly it won't even be a problem.

Edit: Woa this thread is old... he can probably drift by now?

NISMO Fairlady Z Z-tune (Z33) ’03

scaled.php

No tuning required for drifting practice, quite easy to handle even on stock settings. I recommend this to advanced wheel beginners who are skilled on low-power drifters and want to try something with more punch.

The one car in my collection that I'm pullng off decent drifts on Tsukuba recently and not spinning out is the Infiniti Coupe Concept '06 - only mod is comfort tyres. I'm still at a stage where I'll spin off atleast 2-4 times in a lap, but I can keep the Infiniti on the track. The car's not as responsive or sharp as other drift cars I've been trying to learn with, but I think it's that dull handling that helps me keep it under control.

Only issue - when drifting out of some corners, particularly the last turn on Tsukuba, the revs slowly drop even with the accelerator planted. I might try some mild upgrades to boost the power in the higher rpms. I'll report back with a setup.

Last edited:
I remember that, it was white right? It was fully stock, no engine or suspension upgrades, that's why they were struggling.

To the kid shouting about the Evo IV (with a picture of an IX), go sit in a hole for a while.

Don't take this person's advice, use FR/MR/RR, and avoid race mod cars, they're RACE cars, not DRIFT cars (it's in the name). They give too much downforce and will put you off when you try a normal car (not to mention most competitions ban such models).

To learn in, I would suggest a standard/premium FC RX-7

Example:

Siena_Piazza_del_Campo_3.jpg

They top out at about 434hp which is perfect for learning, some may go for the mid range turbo as there will be less turbo lag (around 405hp), but if you tune the gear ratio's correctly it won't even be a problem.

Edit: Woa this thread is old... he can probably drift by now?

The FC was my very first drift car in the game, and i can say that is not a good option for fresh newbies because its too sensible and technical in the weight transitions. Otherwise, the S13 K´s Dia Selection is much more stable and friendly, plus with a torque ratio very flat and easier to feather in the corners.

Latest Posts

Back