Car of the Week 228: COTY GTS Finale

• Thread starter Racer283
  • 3,110 comments
Safe to say that Scooter’s brain fade (his worst one he admitted.) was pretty catastrophic for their races, but it’s something I still do as well, I just usually end up being the only casualty from it. :P

But I digress, to the cars. ;)

The Honda S2000, GT2’s cover car, the spiritual successor to the Honda S800 and the end result of when you combine an MX5 with a VTEC engine. :sly:

Nicely balanced, potent(providing you keep it singing at high rpms.) and enjoyable to drive. 👍

Verdict: Sleeper 👍

The VW Beetle Gr3 as previously mentioned before, is a bit of an oddity.

It doesn’t have a Road car to base it’s self on, it’s power output is on par with the GRC VW Beetle Rallycross and was originally the go to pick in GTS’s early days.

Did feel a little soft and understeery in its stock settings, but was overall not too bad.

Verdict: Neutral

So on to the last of the dinosaurs or in this case, the last of the Vipers.

The Dodge Viper GTS with its comically large 8.4 litre V10 engine(Still the biggest engine ever put in a mass production car.) and making nearly 650hp and 600ft-lbs of torque.

Backing up that engine is a 6 speed manual gearbox, Which was in my opinion, the main difference between me and @MrWaflz55 at Le mans in his 458, you can only do so much against a dual clutch auto with a stick shift. :)

It’s huge rear tyres did cause some understeer which did catch some of us out, most notably @Nismonath5 when he got a little too confident. :lol:

Once you got used to it, it was a capable machine, just not as capable as the T/A or ACR versions. :P

It’s not exactly a sleeper in the traditional sense as it’s about as subtle as a pink tank blasting YMCA from its PA system. :D

But that’s what made the Viper so good, You don’t buy a Viper for subtleness, you buy it because it’s a 10 cylinder flip of the bird to political or environmental correctness.

And it just happens to be fast too. ;)

You’ll be missed Dodge Viper, but thanks for the good times you showed us all. :cheers:

Verdict: Icon 👍

I’ll do a quick summary on the Brit in a V8 Tuxedo, the budget turbo drifty boi and Maserati’s take on GTS. :sly:

Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Nicely balanced, fun and agile(if slightly softly sprung). Verdict: Sleeper 👍

Nissan Silvia S13, A solid base for either drifting or N2-300 racing and doesn’t break the bank. Verdict: Sleeper 👍

Maserati GranTurismo S, Beauty of an engine, could benefit from shorter gearing and little weight loss or as mentioned above, a Gr,4 version. ;)

Verdict: Neutral

Well folks, it's time to start seriously thinking about the good, the bad, and the unfathomable from this year. The Car Of The Year awards are upon us! And like all years, there's a selection of categories spanning a range of aspects of this fine club! Any car is eligible, provided we raced it this year. check out post #1 of this thread for the list of cars, starting from the first car we raced in 2019, the Shelby Cobra 427.

2019 GTPlanet Car Of The Year awards!!
Categories and Criteria

Best looking car (Pretty self explanatory)
Worst looking car (Ditto ^)
Most American car (For some reason McClarenDesign had this award and we just never stopped doing it)
Member's Award (Who among the drivers deserves to be recognized for being a good bugger?)
Best Expensive car (Your favorite car that cost a LOT, a lot being $800,000+)
Arts and Crafts award (Who shows up to our meets with the most attractive liveries?)
Ted Thomas Memorial for Most Improved Driver (Who's gained a lot of skill over their time with us?)
Driver Of The Year (Who was number 1? And I'm not talking about Stefán Karl Stefánsson)
Beater Of The Year (The absolute bottom of the barrel. The worst car of them all)
2019 Car Of The Year (The grand prize!!)​

Inbox me with your nominations, voting will be open until 30th December and I'll work out the votes and have the results up soon afterwards.
I imagine @Racer283 will have a new car for us soon. In the meantime, take care folks! Hope the Christmas shopping's going well :P

Here is the list of all COTW cars from this year so far:

COTW Week 17: Shelby Cobra: @AgentBlackDog
COTW Week 18: Ferrari F50: @Alex p.
COTW Week 19: Suzuki Swift '07: Racer283
COTW Week 20: Jaguar F-Type R Coupe '14: @Vic Reign93
COTW Week 21: Subaru WRX STI Isle of Man Time Attack Car: @Baron Blitz Red
COTW Week 22: Toyota Supra RZ '97: @Draggon
COTW Week 23: De Tomaso Panters '71: @JackRyanWMU
COTW Week 24: BMW M3 Coupe/BMW M3 GT Gr3: @MrWaflz55
COTW Week 25: McLaren F1: @Rinsky
COTW Week 26: Mazda MX 5 Eunos Roadster '89: @MidFieldMaven
COTW Week 27: Toyota GR Supra '19: @fabinator6
COTW Week 28: Honda Project 2&4: @Infineon
COTW Week 29: Ford Mustang Gr3: @Nismonath5
COTW Week 30: Abarth 500 '09: @RobboGTAddict
COTW Week 31: Nissan GT-R Nismo: @05XR8
COTW Week 32: Mini Cooper S '65: Racer283
COTW Week 33: McLaren 650s: @Hoopzah
COTW Week 34: Ford GT40 MK 1 '66: @TonyJZX
COTW Week 35: Pagani Huayra '13: @AgentBlackDog
COTW Week 36: Bugatti Veyron 16.4 '13: @Alex p.
COTW Week 37: Ford Focus ST '15: @RobboGTAddict
COTW Week 38: Honda NSX Gr.B Rally Car: @Nismonath5
COTW Week 39: Shelby Mustang GT350 '65: @Obelisk
COTW Week 40: Porsche 919: Racer283
COTW Week 41: Peugeot RCZ GT Line '15: @fabinator6
COTW Week 42: Eckerts Mach Forty: @Baron Blitz Red
COTW Week 43: Renault Clio V6: @AgentBlackDog
COTW Week 44: Honda Integra Type R '98: @Draggon
COTW Week 45: Toyota S800: @MidFieldMaven
COTW Week 46: Ferrari 458 Gr. 4: @05XR8
COTW Week 47: Porsche 911 Turbo (930): @Alex p.
COTW Week 48: Ford F-150 SVT Raptor: @Rinsky
COTW Week 49: Chevy Camaro Z28 '69: @Infineon
COTW Week 50: BMW i3: @Soyuz 77
COTW Week 51: Mercedes Benz AMG GTS and GT3: Racer283
COTW Week 52: Super Formula Dallara Toyota/Honda: @Nismonath5
COTW Week 53: Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo '91: COTW Family
COTW Week 54: Mazda Atenza Gr3: @MrWaflz55
COTW Week 55: Citroen GT/GT Gr3: @Baron Blitz Red
COTW Week 56: Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE '18: @AgentBlackDog
COTW Week 57: Toyota Supra 3.0 GT Turbo A '88: @90sEnthusiast
COTW Week 58: Ferrari 512BB '76: @Vic Reign93
COTW Week 59: Honda S2000 '99: @Draggon
COTW Week 60: VW Beetle Gr. 3: @RobboGTAddict
COTW Week 61: Dodge Viper GTS '13: @MidFieldMaven
COTW Week 62: Aston Martin V8 Vantage '15: @JackRyanWMU
COTW Week 63: Nissan Silvia K (S13) '89: @Rinsky
COTW Week 64: Maserati Gran Turismo S '08: @TonyJZX

Here is a list of all cars costing more than 800K:

1. F50
2. F1
3. Veyron
4. Huayra
5. Shelb Cobra
6. Porsche 919
7. Super Formula Dalara
8. Ford GT40 MKI

I believe I didn't miss any. If you want to make sure, you can check under the following link:

https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/carlist.php?start=50

Last edited:
Not So Gran?
A mildly serious review of the Maserati GranTurismo '08 by MrWaflz55

4828514183089784328_0.jpg

(My Gr.4 tune painted up like an old RPM Canada Pirelli World Challenge entry)

Debuting to the series in GT5: The storied and renowned Maserati marque has seen the introduction of one whole car to the series, the GranTurismo. The most that PD has ever given this car is a little gag towards its name in the car description. No Group versions or introductions of the real race cars to the series (something that Forza fans get to enjoy), this car has seemingly been updated just to be forgotten again. So what do you get when you actually try to remember its existence?

The Maserati GranTurismo, not to be confused with the driving simulator of the same name, is an N400 road car in the world of Gran Turismo Sport where it competes with the likes of Aston Martin, Ferrari, BMW, Porsche and other titans of the automotive world. Unfortunately, the car is just not as competitive as its contemporaries due to the huge kerb weight of 1,780 kilos. Its engine, the Ferrari F136 YE V8 and a close relative of the 458 Italia's banshee of an engine, produces around 450 horses. This allows the car a power to weight ratio of around 4.05 kg per horsepower. By comparison, its closest rival’s V8 coupes have 3.75 and 3.04 respectively (Aston V8 Vantage and Jaguar F-Type).

As far as value for performance goes, a Corvette Stingray can net you a Power to Weight of 3.4 for only 51,000 credits.

So the Maserati isn't great value for money, the same goes in real life too. You can buy an early model for less than half the MSRP of a brand new one today. So the game has one thing nailed down from the real car: they don't hold their value very well.

So what actually happens when you shell out 167,000 credits, which is equal to three Corvettes, for a worse performing car? Well, you actually get a pretty enjoyable drive.

First thing to note on the subjective side of things is the sound. The Maserati carries the Ferrari F136, probably the best V8 engine ever made. However, unlike the 458's screaming 9,000RPM monster, the Maserati brings a more grumbly and throaty experience to the listener.

Secondly, you get a car that's absolutely gorgeous to look at. This car is probably the best-looking modern Maserati made, even ahead of the new Ghibli, the Alfieri and the controversial MC12. This is just about as close as you can get to the excellence of the GT cars of the 1960s in a modern car.

You also get a car that doesn't do much drama. Due to the weight, it doesn't slide around much and does what its told. Not only that but the brakes are surprisingly decent for a car of this heft. On top of that, it doesn't lift its rear inside wheel as much through a tight corner as the V8 Vantage, so it feels easier to hold a line than some of its contemporaries.

You might not be beating any GR Supras, 996 GT3s, Audi R8s or BMW M4s anytime soon, but I don't think this car needs to. In a game full of overlooked and uncompetitive cars populating the N-Classes, this one might be one of those "best kept secrets".

Verdict: Buy a Corvette Stingray

Last edited:
UA8Jeb7.jpg

MC12 Livery by mohpikachu
The Maserati GranTurismo S is very similar to the Aston Martin V8 Vantage, but it's also distinctively different. While the Aston can be compared to a refined and sophisticated British lady, the Maserati is every bit a fiery and wild Italian beauty. Both have their appeal, and picking between them is entirely down to taste. If I was picking one to buy and own with my own money, the Aston Martin is the logical choice. But if I was given the keys to one for a weekend, the Maserati would be very hard to turn down. Either way, the GranTurismo S has no real downsides except to those who only crave low lap-times. Neither Beater nor Sleeper. Just a beauty.

Well folks, it's time to start seriously thinking about the good, the bad, and the unfathomable from this year. The Car Of The Year awards are upon us! And like all years, there's a selection of categories spanning a range of aspects of this fine club! Any car is eligible, provided we raced it this year. check out post #1 of this thread for the list of cars, starting from the first car we raced in 2019, the Shelby Cobra 427.

2019 GTPlanet Car Of The Year awards!!
Categories and Criteria

Best looking car (Pretty self explanatory)
Worst looking car (Ditto ^)
Most American car (For some reason McClarenDesign had this award and we just never stopped doing it)
Member's Award (Who among the drivers deserves to be recognized for being a good bugger?)
Best Expensive car (Your favorite car that cost a LOT, a lot being $800,000+)
Arts and Crafts award (Who shows up to our meets with the most attractive liveries?)
Ted Thomas Memorial for Most Improved Driver (Who's gained a lot of skill over their time with us?)
Driver Of The Year (Who was number 1? And I'm not talking about Stefán Karl Stefánsson)
Beater Of The Year (The absolute bottom of the barrel. The worst car of them all)
2019 Car Of The Year (The grand prize!!)​

Inbox me with your nominations, voting will be open until 30th December and I'll work out the votes and have the results up soon afterwards.
I imagine @Racer283 will have a new car for us soon. In the meantime, take care folks! Hope the Christmas shopping's going well :P

So for those of us (me) that came late, can i use my impressions of the cars you tested that I own? Thanks.

Also, @JackRyanWMU, spot on review. I feel exactly the same.

Cockpit view is the best to enjoy this car. Love it. The gauges, looking to right and seeing those plush seats, guessing where the bonnet ends. Not only was it made in the best year ever :sly:, it's got a gol dang V12 up the front!

Sketchy on those RS tyres in the track just then. However, on tyres less grippy, the handling is predictable. Beautiful machine in this virtual world.

One of the best cars in the game 👍
Im gonna have to buy it, not enough in game money or patience to do the $100,000k race 10 times to have no credits left.

Is there an easy race with a big payoff that doesn't last 45mins? I tried custom 20 laps around SSX againts Gr.1 cars and got 200,000 but that took an hour

Did a 07.42.522 with it on the Nordschleife. What a great car! Almost reminds me of the 930 Porsche. Looks good considering its age, sounds great, handles very nicely and is really fast!

Little side detail: 3 of the 4 last tested cars are in the range of 4 seconds of each other on the Nordschleife (Vantage with a 07.46.472, Gran Turismo with a 07.45.214 and now the Ferrari with its 07.42.522).

Im gonna have to buy it, not enough in game money or patience to do the $100,000k race 10 times to have no credits left.

Is there an easy race with a big payoff that doesn't last 45mins? I tried custom 20 laps around SSX againts Gr.1 cars and got 200,000 but that took an hour
If you have a Gr.1 car, do GT League Professional Gr.1 Monza or Yamagiwa for under 10 minutes= 330k. No need to upgrade the car. Just use Softs.

Well people, sorry for my sudden departure... we had a power outage here that lasted a few hours. As for the rest of the night, we had Ted T. rearing his ugly head a few times last night... speaking of which, @Nismonath5 asked me to save the replay where he disappeared. Sorry bud, but the in game replay shows you at the starting grid, but after the rest of us got away with a clean start, the replay refuses to show your car. At all.

Anyhoo... I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this little detail whilst customising their 365???

D8p9cJq.jpg

How this got past the Quality Control people, I have no idea. The worst thing is, the chrome trim plate malfunction is on both sides of the car. Thankfully our reviews don't rely on aesthetics... too much.

EDIT: Here's the race we had at Fuji... a nail biter at the end with only 0.024 seconds separating the top 2 cars!!!

Looking for opinions from last night's race format... did you guys like the racing with the added fuel/tyre wear??? Would it be worth it to try again??? Share your thoughts people!

Cheers

Last edited:
Hey, what’s up? I finally got a YouTube account linked to my PSN so now I can go ahead and upload videos onto it whenever I save them straight from my couch. I’ll be uploading my backlog very slowly over the next little while and I’ll link some of them here.

More importantly, I can finally clean out my replays folder in GT Sport so I can take some more.

What exactly do you mean? :dunce:

Look at the chrome plate around the marker light where the horse's tail is touching... if that gap between the marker light and the trim piece was done in real life, somebody would be fired and fired quickly. Even the marker light itself looks like it's bent. Just an overall poor job on a Ferrari of all cars, which are known for "Fit and Finish".

Cheers

Last edited:
Look at the chrome plate around the marker light where the horse's tail is touching... if that gap between the marker light and the trim piece was done in real life, somebody would be fired and fired quickly. Even the marker light itself looks like it's bent. Just an overall poor job on a Ferrari of all cars, which are known for "Fit and Finish".

Cheers
That’s because the marker was bent in real life:
upload_2019-12-11_21-32-2.jpeg

So the fitment is correct and PD modeled the car correctly and exact.

Next week we are taking the week off because of Christmas, so go out and have some fun with your family and friends. Also there is one more car for the 2019 COTW season before we announce the awards in the first week of January. Remember to get your car nominations in and send them to @Nismonath5

Now onto our next car for COTW. We have tested the street version of this car a while back, now we are running the Gr4 version of this car and hopefully you all were awarded this car for filling out the survey back in October. This week we are going racing with the Toyota GR Supra Gr4. This weeks car was chosen by @05XR8

grsupranur_main.jpg

Great choice! We've got the latest update coming in tomorrow evening, shouldn't we postpone until Wednesday night?

Agreed, especially since the update starts at around the same time we do... and in my humble opinion, the wait will be worth it, as we are testing a new to game car, on a new to game track (Laguna Seca is supposed to drop tonight).

Cheers

Bit of a side note, but anyone here also play GTA V? Need some buddies for the heists and whatnot...

Back