[CCS2] Clubman Cup - October 18 - Spaces Available!

So those races definitely shook up the standings table. Of particular note is the bit where @lbpomg95, @Drex124 and myself are somehow within a handful of points in the battle for 3rd place.

Speaking of the standings, for anyone interested in that sort of thing, I've added a little color code to the points column as an easy reference to who's still mathematically got a chance of taking the title.

Also, as seems to have been a running theme throughout this entire ordeal, don't be surprised if changes are made to BoP ahead of Nürburgring.

I've just cottoned on - nobody's raced the Mazda Roadster at all in this league - wait... what? We were supposed to discuss the BOP?

Surprise BoP update ahead of Nürburgring - the BMW gets an extra 2% weight. The new figures are in the OP.

Discuss.
Well 🤬.
3uzboiwljd331.jpg

Great. Would be glad to hear reasons behind it though, especially as to why it's only the BMW.

The short version of it all is that the car is still a noticeable bit faster than the others in the actual races. And I'll gladly explain why that last bit is important, if further clarification is desired.

Please do.

As you wish.

It's all about when something is considered "balanced". Is one person being able to set comparable lap times in all cars enough for them to qualify as "balanced"? Or should several drivers of roughly similar skill levels be able to set times approaching the midrange regardless of chosen car and have close races? Because I'd argue - particularly in a series with the spirit I'm going for with this - the latter should be the ideal.

Does anyone remember the specs we started with? Because when I was testing them, I could set comparable lap times across the board - if this series had been just myself and the 15 clones I keep locked away in my basement, it would've been brilliantly close racing all the way through. Granted, some were ever-so-slightly stronger at one track only to suffer a little more at another, but I chose to see that as an opportunity to make this an evolving, more unpredictable series. More on this later. But it goes a bit further than that. See, I'd called upon @Drex124's help (well, not him specifically. I made a public announcement and he was the only person on the site to not have me on their Ignore list) in advance, and when he tested them, they were indeed, to put it as bluntly as I can, unbalanced as 🤬.

And that, right there, is the crux of the issue I've tried to deal with for the past month-and-a-bit: in addition to different skill levels overall, some people are better at handling certain cars than others. As we've discovered, I'm not a magician in a RWD car; someone else may be similarly less capable in FWD cars. Where, then, does this leave the question of when things are truly "balanced"?

The moment the BMW feels competitive - as in a similarly skilled driver to me, capable of pushing the BMW in the same way I can push the Focus, could reasonably be expected to put in the same sort of lap times as myself - I'll leave it be. Until then, it's subject to exactly as much scrutiny as all the others.

Speaking of which, that point I said I'd go back to? This is where that gets juicy.

If one were to look at the championship standings, you'll notice a very clear pattern among those who have been attending most of the four rounds we've had thus far. Most cars (and people, actually) have had one or two good racedays, with the rest being middling-at-best.

Even with you personally taken out of this equation, the BMWs have only had 1 weekend where they haven't performed extremely well - and I suspect even that one weekend mainly has to do with the slight touring cars that went on.

And now, just to cover all the immediately-obvious angles:
  1. Nobody's bothered to show up in a BRZ or MX5 for the longest of time so I don't really have much "real-world" data to build an informed opinion on,
  2. The Honda has, somewhat as intended, balanced its one week of glory at Red Bull Ring with middling results elsewhere. Much like the Focus has. And, to a slightly more uncertain extent courtesy of a recent entry to the series, the Golf
  3. With all due respect to anyone doing this, but hosting a series with this varied a car selection and custom BoP is a completely different ballgame to hosting another wants-to-be-taken-seriously Gr.3 series running (and thus being able to blame all issues on) the in-game BoP. And you get absolutely 🤬 on for doing so. And, finally,
  4. No, none of this entire post was meant as a personal attack on anyone. So stop thinking of it as such. Please.
I guess the ultra-short version is as follows: Many a lesson has been learnt from this, my (engaging self-deprecation) highly-anticipated grand return to hosting online things in a bigger capacity than the Dragon Trail 300KM (and yes, that's a plug. November is coming) - a whole raft of mistakes I can guarantee I won't be making again. There's a painfully obvious link here to a snarky remark about how I'll make new mistakes instead, but hey-ho, last time I checked, that's how life works. I can't do anything about that. What I can do is sound like a broken record and say "I know for certain that things will be better next time. But that's for next time. Now let's have some fun these last three weeks".

And yes, more than one bean was spilled just then. I hope people haven't got any plans for early July.

Sorry about the slight delay - a small family meeting took a little longer than I'd anticipated.

0475-4190-8850-3507-0532

Banter Lounge invites have already been sent to the usuals.

So those were some interesting races yesterday, the most important lesson we learned being that the BMW BoP seems to finally be where it should've been at Brands Hatch. It's not *quite* perfect just yet, but it feels like progress has actually been made.

As for what this week's done for the all-important championship standings
  • @Antares26 needs to score but 7 points in the final round to take the title regardless of what anyone else does.
  • @AudiMan2011 can win it if @Antares26 gets no more than 6 points (equivalent of 2x8th place, 7th+9th or 6th+10th or a single 5th and no more points) and he wins both races.
  • @lbpomg95 can win if he wins both races and @Antares26 scores no more than a single point (i.e. if @Antares26 finishes 9th in any race, it's over)
  • @lbpomg95 can steal 2nd from @AudiMan2011 if he wins both races (giving him at least 1 point advantage regardless of what @AudiMan2011 does), in any way scores 5 more points and @AudiMan2011 doesn't finish higher than 3rd or scores at least 6 more points, regardless of what @AudiMan2011 does.
There is a much, much bigger scrap going on for 2nd and 3rd, but even though it's just between the four of @AudiMan2011, @lbpomg95, @Drex124 and myself, there are *so* many ways that can turn out that I can't be bothered to spell them out.

Also, info on that bonus week:

We'll be doing three different kinds of events; one of them is a classic from the schoolyard, the other is a take on a favorite 'Murican pastime, and the third is a race - with a twist or two.

Also you may want to buy one or more Honda Fits - you'll want them ready in red, blue, and a paintjob of your choice.

Sorry gents but i'm working nights this week so won't make the final round. Good luck!

..so you won't even be there to witness the conclusion of that thing you sparked last week? That's disappointing.

Anyways, season finale coming up in just about 24 hours time. If the test race we did way back is anything to go by, this should be something extraordinary.

@Antares26
@AudiMan2011
@Drex124
@G2G1950
@HarryWS
@lbpomg95
@Litchi
@Patrick Falk
@Sphinx
@TetsuKobura

Also, in case you've been living under a rock these last few hours.. yeah, you might want to start preparing yourself mentally for Season Two already. Because if things take the turn I plan on making them, we'll redefine "spectacular", "glorious" and, once again, "ambitious". @Drex124 and @lbpomg95 will know what I mean.

Now, that *does* mean S2 will take some time to get ready - and I may or may not need a few extra hands on deck - but worry not, people who like the occational non-Gr.-based-racing-series-on-Sports-tyres-because-ironically-that's-less-insane-than-aforementioned-Gr.3-series, I do have a few ideas for some things that'll double as handy time wasters *and* demo some of the ideas I'll be looking to implement into S2.

There is a slim chance i can still make the finale. Holding thumbs. Also happy to help with S2 if needed.

I will be there and ready to fight to keep the runner-up championship spot.

Double post for reasons of the room now being open:

0475-4183-8438-3886-0356

Banter Lounge invitations shall be sent shortly.

Back