[CCS2] Clubman Cup - October 18 - Spaces Available!

While there were ways in which the season finale didn't live up to the hype, it certainly wasn't free of drama either.

In the final standings, @lbpomg95 steals 2nd from @AudiMan2011 by all of two points, I overtake @Drex124 for Fourth Focus and @HarryWS nets himself a tied 7th with an ever-absent BRZ.

There shall now be a one-week break until the Bonus Event, the details of which I'll be releasing either later this weekend or some point next week. In the meantime, I'd like as many of you as possible - whether you've been racing or just keeping an eye on this - to answer this series of questions about both Season One and Two, to give a clearer picture of how you lot want Clubman Cup to evolve.

Some details on that Bonus Event:

As I've mentioned in the past, this will be very different to your average race event. Mainly because only one of the "games" is any form of race.

Game #1: Running Back

Yes, I have blatantly stolen the name from that one Adversary Mode in GTA Online, because it may or may not have inspired this.

The goal is simple: before the start, we'll divide the players into two different teams: Red and Blue (hence why you need Honda Fits in those colors). Each team will take it in turn to play one of two roles: Attackers or Defenders.

The Attackers start at one end of the playing field (i.e. at the 1000m mark) and will be in possession of the ball (played by me, doing literally nothing). Their goal is to use their Honda Fits to push the ball across the Goal Line (at the 2000m mark) and score 2 End-Of-Season-Games Points for doing so. Sounds simple, right? Now throw in the role of the Defenders. Can you guess what they'll be doing in this game? They can use any tactics they see Fit, including setting up an old-fashioned road block - as long as there's always a Honda Fit-sized gap the Attackers can try for. Think of the road blocks from virtually any NFS game. But that's not all, for the Defenders have a trick up their sleeve: if they can push the ball back to the 500m marker, they'll score 5 End-Of-Season-Games Points and force a round to end.

In short:
  • Attackers score 2 points by getting the ball across the Goal Line.
  • Defenders can defend in any way they wish, as long as the track is never completely blocked.
  • Defenders score 5 points and force the next round by pushing the ball to a point behind the Attackers' start point.
The plan is to play four round of about 3 minutes of active play time each, i.e. whenever there's a stoppage of any kind, the timer pauses until everyone's ready again.

Game #2: Bulldog

..just when we've started to work in teams, it's time to start betraying eachother again.

In case you're somehow not familiar with Bulldog, it's really simple: you lot have to cross the playing field (probably from 1000m to 2000m) without being tagged. The person doing the tagging (me again) will start somewhere beyond the halfway point, and can then do whatever pleases me to try and tag as many of you as possible - minus blocking the entire road, as the same rule about Fit-sized-gaps apply. If you get tagged, you join me on the tagging team. Every time you successfully cross the field, you score 1 End-Of-Season-Games Point. That's it.

The plan is to play two rounds, and we play until everyone's tagged or it gets too ridiculous.

Game #3: Clubman Shootout

This is not your standard race. It may be 30 minutes long, and you may all be in untuned Honda Fits - but that's where the normality ends. Every few minutes, I'll type the name of the driver in last place in the game's chat. This basically means that unless you can improve your position before the end of the lap, your head is on the chopping block. Yep, it's a Knockout/Elimination race. Also we're doing a rolling start with decent intervals in order of reverse average finishing position, so the fastest drivers will be starting at the back and really feeling the pressure.

1 (or 2, depending on the number of drivers) End-Of-Season-Games Points will be scored every time you survive an elimination, plus a bonus point for a "near miss".

Oh, and I also have the authority to call for pretend-Safety Cars in case someone at the front is running away a little too quickly.

As for what track it is? I'll let that be a secret until we actually start the race..

If people are up for it, I'll be hosting a lobby this Friday. It'll likely be a combination of testing the finer details of this and doing the sort of things the Banter Lounge usually does post-race. Should be plenty of entertainment either way.

Also friendly reminder that this is a thing.

@Antares26
@AudiMan2011
@CrazyJohn
@Drex124
@G2G1950
@geeTeye
@HarryWS
@lbpomg95
@Patrick Falk
@Sphinx
@TetsuKobura

I'm not sure if I'll be able to make this one - by all means let me know when you're doing testing for season 2 though, will happily help where I can.

I can, of course, push it back to the tune of an hour or two if that's favorable?

by all means let me know when you're doing testing for season 2 though, will happily help where I can.

..I was originally going to make a post sometime after the Bonus, but seeing as we're now kickstarting this discussion anyway, season two prep isn't about to kick off anytime immediately after this. This isn't the AAA games industry after all.

That doesn't, however, mean that I can't use a little assistance..

..I was originally going to make a post sometime after the Bonus, but seeing as we're now kickstarting this discussion anyway, season two prep isn't about to kick off anytime immediately after this. This isn't the AAA games industry after all.

Tag me when you start planning for season 2, would like to partake in this.

Me and @HarryWS won't make tonight's event I'm afraid, ironically we're looking at a real-life Honda Fit (or in our country a Jazz).

..there's definitely a combined-GT6-and-Clubman-Cup joke to be made there, so congratulations on taking the Clubmeme Cup to the next level.

As for the Bonus Event, two people might be a little bit tight for some (well, all) of the planned events (especially considering the backlog of people who signed up and buggered off without leaving a note, thank you very much), but let's see when the time comes.

8B32C955-1AAC-46B5-810F-F1D79691563B.jpeg
Yeah I bought a pearl yellow Honda Jazz (with a fking factory body kit yo, search for a ‘05 Jazz sport SE) and honestly it’s the most hilarious and the best thing I’ve ever thrown money at. Sorry I didn’t make it but I’m sure you understand
(Just for the record it’s called Cheese Louise)

I figured I'd just keep things going in this one thread since I do sort-of consider this more of an "episodic" racing series so it makes sense to keep it all in one place.

So there's been a few weeks worth of downtime, but things haven't been at a complete stand-still. As a few of you may know, I tend to always have at least three irons in the oven at once.

Because I feel like this fits into the concept of episodic racing series and the general parodying of the AAA games industry that's been going on, have "an roadmap" detailing the way to Season Two:
  1. A "spin-off" series of sorts to test some aspects that may or may not make it to Season Two. This is the one some of you know the full extent of.
  2. A secondary "spin-off" for those seeking a more "pure" racing experience. Everyone in the exact same car - yes, down to tuning being prohibited. Depending on some of the choices made for Season Two, participation in this might be mandatory. This is another thing I would like some input on.
So one of them will still take some time to get ready, and the other is more like a prelude to Season Two.

Now, you're probably thinking "so does that leave another big gap until things start to happen?" Well, yes. Which is why I've retitled the thread as I have, for there be a little thing I'll be revealing tomorrow. It is, in some ways, a return to the very first iteration of Clubman Cup. So that's exciting.

Clubman Cup The First Open-Season 01.jpg

I bet looking at that banner's got you excited for what I'm about to say, right?

So anyway, Open Season is the "little thing" I'm revealing today. And it really could not be simpler.

I announce a track we'll be racing on as well as a Par Time for that track.

You buy a car for less than 100,000 credits (and no, the Shifter Kart doesn't count) and build it to the point where you're competitive with the Par Time.

Apart from those little caveats, you're free to do as you see fit. Want to build a muscle car that gets its laptime from cornering because it has nice and sticky tyres? You can do that. Want to build a hatchback whose only party trick is its speed down the start/finish straight? You can do that. Or are you going for a more jack-of-all-trades but it's a pickup truck? Have a guess at whether or not you can do that.

Full details are in the reworked OP.

Looks like a nice different way to mix things up. Will look at cars before signing up.

I'm assuming we can use anything between SH and SS, depending on whether you want a speed or handling-biased car.

Just curious, are we restricted to just sports tires?

I'm assuming we can use anything between SH and SS, depending on whether you want a speed or handling-biased car.

The original intention behind me saying that you can do what you want as long as you're competitive with the Par Time was to leave things as open as possible (which, yes, would include Racing Super Soft for those who need them, either from skill or from going with an extreme handling build, conversely opening Comfort to those going with many horsepowers), though I welcome arguments against this.

Still doing some testing, but I'm in favor of an unlimited tire selection, because reasons. A pile of rolled test cars might have something to do with this.

Still doing some testing, but I'm in favor of an unlimited tire selection, because reasons. A pile of rolled test cars might have something to do with this.

..aaaaaaand now you've got me curious how many horsepowers a jelly car would need to be competitive with the Par Time.

Thanks for the response! :D
Did some testing too and the braking points don't change much when you transition from sports tires to comfort tires (or maybe I was just improving since I didn't know the track :dunce:), and Sardegna has those really long straights, so... ;)

Not much at all as it turns out. A mostly stock VW bus on RSS tires rolls very easily.

Oh, I know that making cars fall over isn't difficult - I have a DS3 that falls over as soon as it reaches 25 km/h - I'm wondering how feasible it would be to actually.. "race" them..

..and yes, this may or may not become part of End-Of-Season Games With A Vengeance now that we've discussed it.

Back