Closed Beta Update 1.06 is now available...17.45GB

• Thread starter akira3d
  • 415 comments
I do OK in the TTS. I'm faster at Willow in the Evora, and I prefer the Genesis for "feel", but the AWD cars seem to have a grip advantage. Wish there were more F/R choices.

You get matched up with people with the same skill level. Qualifying times don't mean much. I've raced with people that were 30 seconds slower than me at Nurburgring and in the same race the pole sitter was 30 seconds faster than me. If you want to raise your on track rating than let the losers pass you and just do laps. Once your a A or S than you can work on your speed rating.

@Jump_Ace on the time zone trick, you set your time zone in eastern time, at 12:01 drive your 26 miles, get the car, change to central time zone in your PS4 settings (make sure you're changing the zone and not the time) then at 12:01 on central time you'll get a new car, then switch to mountain time, then at 12:01 mountain time you'll get a car, then do it form pacific and whatever wacky time zone Alaska is in.

@Jump_Ace on the time zone trick, you set your time zone in eastern time, at 12:01 drive your 26 miles, get the car, change to central time zone in your PS4 settings (make sure you're changing the zone and not the time) then at 12:01 on central time you'll get a new car, then switch to mountain time, then at 12:01 mountain time you'll get a car, then do it form pacific and whatever wacky time zone Alaska is in.

Ah okay that makes sense, except I'll never be up until midnight, racing, with two kids :lol: Thanks for clarifying that buddy :bowdown:

Jerome

You get matched up with people with the same skill level. Qualifying times don't mean much. I've raced with people that were 30 seconds slower than me at Nurburgring and in the same race the pole sitter was 30 seconds faster than me. If you want to raise your on track rating than let the losers pass you and just do laps. Once your a A or S than you can work on your speed rating.

Quali time really helps to avoid trouble, even in the 'good' room.

Looks OK from here...
Gran Turismo™Sport Closed Beta Test Version_20170614191114.jpg

Not so good from down here....
Gran Turismo™Sport Closed Beta Test Version_20170614191120.jpg

And at least one known troublemaker there didn't get a red SR!

Please not all of them. Nobody wants to be last on purpose. :P

Quali time really helps to avoid trouble, even in the 'good' room.

Looks OK from here...
View attachment 654025

Not so good from down here....
View attachment 654026

And at least one known troublemaker there didn't get a red SR!
I agree, starting up front does help a lot when trying to avoid trouble. The original poster isn't an A or S yet so the best way to raise your rating is stay on the track and don't hit anyone. Do laps. People with the A and S ratings are far better racers than the E, D, C and usually the B's. You get a bunch of people with these lower ratings it's basically a smash up derby, lol.

I agree, starting up front does help a lot when trying to avoid trouble. The original poster isn't an A or S yet so the best way to raise your rating is stay on the track and don't hit anyone. Do laps. People with the A and S ratings are far better racers than the E, D, C and usually the B's. You get a bunch of people with these lower ratings it's basically a smash up derby, lol.

Well yeah, there's only two safe places in those races - first and last!

Outspacer, I've been first a lot only to get wrecked and have 10 people pass you. It's a whole different world racing with the D and C clowns. You can't run away in the lead because you get dive bombed in the first corner. Once I became an A I noticed the mentality of most people was different. When I became an S the on track smash up derby was non existent. Sure there are some rubbing but intentionally crashing someone for the most part disappeared.

@TA462 , all I can say is that's what worked for me. C to S on a Sunday afternoon. And that was before we had rolling starts. No idea if any changes to the SR system have been made since then, but it still seems pretty generous - lets you take one or two hits early on and still be +ve at the end.

Outspacer, maybe us North Americans have more kids racing than you UK guys? I agree, I don't think the rating system has changed. I wish they could figure out that if you get hit from behind, 99% of the time it's the guy that hit you was at fault. Give them a huge time penalty which ruins their race. I'm sure once the game is released we will be able to open our own rooms and pick who we race with.

Outspacer, maybe us North Americans have more kids racing than you UK guys? I agree, I don't think the rating system has changed. I wish they could figure out that if you get hit from behind, 99% of the time it's the guy that hit you was at fault. Give them a huge time penalty which ruins their race. I'm sure once the game is released we will be able to open our own rooms and pick who we race with.
Because once players figure out that getting hit from behind involves a severe penalty, massive amounts of brake checking will ensue. Is that what you want?

Because once players figure out that getting hit from behind involves a severe penalty, massive amounts of brake checking will ensue. Is that what you want?
Never thought about that. It would be great if the game could figure out if someone brake checked on straightaways and spots on the track where braking obviously wasn't needed. Maybe I'm asking for to much, lol.

Never thought about that. It would be great if the game could figure out if someone brake checked on straightaways and spots on the track where braking obviously wasn't needed. Maybe I'm asking for to much, lol.
I think it can be done. See how the penalty system has gotten better, at first you could rid yourself of penalty time by just waiting for a corner and coast through it after you've braked down to a reasonable speed. I reported it and asked for it to be more harsh, it doesn't make sense to rid yourself that easy of a penalty, and they listened. It still needs some work, but it worked. Then brake checking should be easy, just add the same code of the penalty just modify it.

I think they could make some progress in this area by something like designating a hard braking zone in each corner and assigning responsibility for collisions from behind under braking within that zone to the following car. Outside of the zone, collisions under braking would be deemed brake checking and the responsibility of the lead or braking driver. It would take quite some effort to work for all the car/tire/corner combinations and work out how the algorithm handles multiple cars and multiple contacts. A generic zone won't suffice on a track which might see LMP's on slicks and street cars on comfort tires. It can be done but it still won't be perfect and is a lot of extra effort. I haven't seen anyone yet willing to make that effort but I suspect someone will in the future. A beta would be a good time to test this kind of thing. Too bad nobody does sim racing betas on console...oh wait..:sly:

I think they could make some progress in this area by something like designating a hard braking zone in each corner and assigning responsibility for collisions from behind under braking within that zone to the following car. Outside of the zone, collisions under braking would be deemed brake checking and the responsibility of the lead or braking driver. It would take quite some effort to work for all the car/tire/corner combinations and work out how the algorithm handles multiple cars and multiple contacts. A generic zone won't suffice on a track which might see LMP's on slicks and street cars on comfort tires. It can be done but it still won't be perfect and is a lot of extra effort. I haven't seen anyone yet willing to make that effort but I suspect someone will in the future. A beta would be a good time to test this kind of thing. Too bad nobody does sim racing betas on console...oh wait..:sly:

I meantioned something similar to that a few weeks back in another thread, as well as different penalty levels/severities depending on the conditions... Kinda got torn apart for it being too complex for implementation, but I still think it's a good idea nonetheless.

You would need to have min/max speed allowances per class per tire on each section, which is a fair amount of work, but having a section of the team dedicated to this development doesn't seem like a bad idea with the major esport focus.

So is the acceleration cutting out during an online race a well known bug? I was driving the Scirocco around the Ring last night and my gas kept cutting off randomly when I was in the lower gears (1st to 4th). Don't remember it happening in the higher gears. I tried to give a feedback on the bugs report section but as I hit the post button, I was only getting a "adding to post" that keeps loading for 5 minutes and nothing so it failed. Was using a DualShock 4 with manual transmission.

I want access to the beta so bad... I really dig this new Gran Turismo, and I know that statement contradicts what I've said before, but GT is GT, and I have to have it!

This is something I'm coming to grips with. And what makes GT fun for ME? All you jokers that I race with and have had some tremendous races with both online and in person. While I gripe and moan as much as the next guy, the beta has shown me they've listened to a lot of what we've asked for and reminded me y'all make the game great. 👍

Jerome

Back