Corvette C7

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by boomee, Nov 14, 2011.

1. boomee

boomee

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2011
  2. Wyvern_64

Wyvern_64 Premium

I think they should have gone with the Stingray concept. Now that was a sexy car. :drool:

Are you sure this is the official C7 design? I heard it's first unveil was in June...

3. Cale

Cale Premium

They cannot do that to the Corvette, although I don't think it's a real concept.

4. dylansan

dylansan Premium

It doesn't reference all the coolness of the older cars. It's just a futuristic and strange version of the C6. I don't like it.

5. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Ditto.

Link to any info? Looks to me like a photoshop of the C6.

6. zedextreme8177

zedextreme8177

Notice how the background for the second render is from GT5?

Soon we will have a thread in the GT5 section speculating whether it will be in DLC :dunce:

Anyways, I don't really like the design too much. Too bland :tdown:

7. RocZX

RocZX Premium

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
    harrison1476 likes this.
  8. LancerEvo7

LancerEvo7

Looks like a Pontiac Solstice and Ferrari 458 got drunk one night...

EDIT: ^Now that looks like a Corvette :D

9. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Anything posted right now is NOT official from GM and is all speculation. The car isn't due for another year or two anyway.

10. AOS-

AOS- Premium

Is that a fact or just more speculation? :sly:

11. RocZX

RocZX Premium

This is supposed to be 2014 model and officially reveal by GM at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show.

12. Coxis

Coxis

Looks like the Corvette just got Camaro'd.

I realize this isn't official, but I seriously hope they don't go down this road. The pics from the first link are particularly awful, and seems like they could go the Camaro road, especially when looking at the tail lights. If there ever was a highly recognizable, likeable trait from a Corvette, it was their kick ass double OO tail lights. They can't take those away, they just can't... Can they? :nervous:

13. Slash

Slash Premium

The one in the OP looks like ***, the one RocZX posted looks epic

14. Zenith

Zenith

The first one seems pretty fake, but the second one looks cool. They definitely let Michael Bay design more than Bumble Bee.

15. C-ZETA

C-ZETA Premium

Why do you always use three asterisks to swear...1 it doesn't make sense to begin with and 2 there is a censored smilie. (this one >:censored:)

Anyway that 2nd image looks so GT5 it gives it away. Photoshop. But that does not look like a Corvette really anymore...with the new shape and everything.

16. RocZX

RocZX Premium

Just to tell everyone the link from the OP is from Dec. 2010.
    The link and pic I posted are from today.

17. Slash

Slash Premium

Habit I guess.

18. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

19. McLaren

McLaren Premium

20. SuperShouden

SuperShouden (Banned)

2014? I thought they were gonna release it as a 60th Anniversary thing.

21. fryercar

fryercar

The second pic is Tokyo for sure. I wonder if the third pic is a future DLC track (American southwest)?

Pic 5 is a racetrack with the background masked out.

Pic 6 is just before the carousel on Nurburgring, perhaps.

And the real proof. Look at the sign on the left under the overpass on the last pic.

22. el fayce

el fayce

i feel the pictures is taken from gran turismo 5 and edited with photo shop, and i found this its no deference than the currently c6

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    for more info here

ProjectF likes this.
  23. McLaren

McLaren Premium

Those are mules, not what the C7 will look like.

24. Mac K

Mac K

It looks like an Evora with some Pontiac Solstice and Ferrari 599 mixed in... it looks to "European" to be a Corvette. Allow me to save this thread.

[​IMG]

ProjectF likes this.
  25. RocZX

RocZX Premium

26. Zenith

Zenith

Funny. The Corvette was invented because American soldiers who came back from tours in Europe in WWII liked the European sports cars so much.

Then again guys, Jalopnik is never the most reliable place to get your automotive facts :lol:

27. Jump_Ace

Jump_Ace Staff Emeritus

I think they took some notes on the 458 Italia, but I still love it.

Jerome

28. Wyvern_64

Wyvern_64 Premium

That Jalopnik Corvette looks nice actually. I think a termination threat is a pretty good sign it could be real. I still prefer the looks of the Stingray concept though...

29. boomee

boomee

WHat???? No

30. YSSMAN

YSSMAN Premium

Pretty much. The fact that they coped out and said that they can't use the actual photographs is a HUGE red flag to me. I did a big write-up on it over at Google+, but I'll give a shortened thing here...

• There are far too many European influences for this to be the flagship, American sports car from General Motors
    • Seeing as how this almost completely throws out everything signified by the Anniversary Concept that had been so well-accepted, it seems like a waste of design
    • The car looks almost too similar to the C6. I know they've been saying that we should expect an "evolutionary" design change as opposed to a radical one, but this just doesn't ring well for me
    • The worst offender here is that the tail lights are "Camaro-inspired," which is a big no-no in Corvette design language. Other cars in the GM product portfolio don't influence the Corvette, the Corvette influences them. Now, I understand that the 2013 Malibu is getting the same style of tail lights, as is the non-American Trailblazer... But that does not mean the Corvette will get them. No way, no how

Long story short, there may be *some* truth to what they have, but for what it will actually be, I'm guessing it is quite small. The tail lights and extravagant vent usage makes me think otherwise.

But even then, I'd be less concerned about the styling than the actual engineering of the car. We know that the Corvette will forever be a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive coupe that is offered with targa or convertible variants. Not much is going to change that. It will have a V8, but what size it will be is still in question (I'm banking on a 5.5L unit similar to whats in the C6.R program currently). We already know it will use a 7-speed manual gearbox, and the chances of it including the new 8-speed automatic seem pretty high. We'll probably see the electromagnetic suspension carry over, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the traditional Goodyear Eagles completely give way to Michelin Pilot Sport 2s.