Corvette C7

• Thread starter boomee
  • 2,702 comments
Well you all I can say what you want. Jalopnik is pretty sure that these pics are the real deal.

^ That picture looks like a more futuristic version of the early 2000's Camaro than a Corvette.

How so wedding I see what you mean in the rear with the lights but the rest looks all vette to me. But I guess you are entitled to your opinion. Does anyone know anything about the drivetrain yet ???

The first render - I really like the back, the front is too bonkers for my liking.

The second render - more like a Corvette should be but looks like a GTR side and roofline photoshop and too many fiddly bits.

All these magazine renders usually turn out to be far from correct anyway.

it better have DOHC and coil springs...

i like the second rendering

:dunce: please be sarcasm.

People should really read up on the Corvette's suspension and the many many many advantages it brings. For being a "Chevy Fan" your ignorance is strange.

Hmmm... not big on either design. The first one is just plain unattractive - it's too overdone for my tastes.

The second one looks like so sort of weird concoction between a C6 Corvette, Camaro, and a Nissan GTR...

Who knows, it's still very preliminary - but if one of these is fated to be 'the one' than I'd rather it be the second one.

Here are some newer pic of the C7 http://jalopnik.com/5858683/exclusive-this-is-the-2014-chevy-corvette
c52a837b981bde3536270f164ca05252.jpg

xlarge_925c5011df99c0d3662be43c7b33afa6.jpg

That front just looks like an updated C6/ZR1 with a better and cooler hood vents. The rear end on that last one though in that angle looks very similar to the GT-R rear end.

Also the tails aren't round

There hasn't been a Corvette with round taillights since 1990. 1991 and up C4's were square, C5s and C6s are oval.

I see a lot of Evora in the front end of that second concept. Clearly it's nothing more than a mix-and-match of a lot of styling cues from different cars.

C6 tails aren't oblong enough to not be called round.

Anyways, the C4 is the bastard child as far as Corvettes go, specifically because of the square lights. The C5 was a bit less underwhelming, as it's tails were more rounded. The C6 is obviously the best Corvette of the past few decades (even in relative terms) and, lo and behold, its tails are the most round of the bunch.

Corvettes must have round tail lights. If not, they're doomed to failure.

The early C4s had round taillights, and they were terrible.
Obviously you've never heard of the B2K twin-turbo factory option.

Other evidence from Car and Driver's March 1983 test of the C4:

Car and Driver
The roadholding on this new machine is so advanced that we recorded the highest skidpad lateral acceleration — 0.90 g — ever observed with a conventional automobile by this staff. That figure practically trivializes the previous high-water marks, in the 0.82-g range, generated by such exotics as the Porsche 928 and assorted Ferraris.

It is hands-down the fastest American automobile... In fact, these figures qualify the Corvette as one of the half-dozen fastest production automobiles in the entire world!

Our 70-to-0-mph brake test produced a stop in a mere 173 feet — seven feet shorter than the best 1982 distance of 180 feet, recorded by a Porsche 928, and not far off the all-time record of 165 feet, set by a Porsche 930 Turbo!
It lost to a rear-engined car that naturally has a better weight bias under braking? YOU DON'T SAY.

Last edited:
Also some other creedence that lends to this being close to what we will get for a new C7. Over at jalopnik this is article was put out.

Possible threats of termination are a sure-fire confirmation your Corvette images are real

I've always believed reports of threats of termination disseminated through Facebook are obviously the best form of confirmation that you've got the real deal when an image of a new car leaks way early. Like what a user over at VWVortex claims happened when he posted a link to our exclusive 2014 Corvette / 2015 Corvette ZR1 renderings over on Facebook.

''I pasted the Jalopnik link on my FB page, and had a very interesting email sent back.

I have a friend of mine who works for GM just email me on Facebook....

"Someone is getting fired over that."

Just a guess here, but it sounds like the drawing is legit."

So the plot thicken eh?

Not really, it's more than possible that GM has made several designs.

I hear and respect what your saying Justin. I am just saying its a posiblity. Jalopnik Seems to be real confident in what they have this time. That being said Jalopnik isnt a bad source of car info but it may still be speculation. Again I do respect and understand your opinion.

Also some other creedence that lends to this being close to what we will get for a new C7. Over at jalopnik this is article was put out.

Possible threats of termination are a sure-fire confirmation your Corvette images are real

I've always believed reports of threats of termination disseminated through Facebook are obviously the best form of confirmation that you've got the real deal when an image of a new car leaks way early. Like what a user over at VWVortex claims happened when he posted a link to our exclusive 2014 Corvette / 2015 Corvette ZR1 renderings over on Facebook.

''I pasted the Jalopnik link on my FB page, and had a very interesting email sent back.

I have a friend of mine who works for GM just email me on Facebook....

"Someone is getting fired over that."

Just a guess here, but it sounds like the drawing is legit."

So the plot thicken eh?

You should add a link and quote that info. But I already posted that here

Obviously you've never heard of the B2K twin-turbo factory option.

Which cost just about as much as the actual car, and made it pricier than said 911...

Go and drive one with the 4+3 gearbox and the Cross-Fire L83. As I said, terrible.

I'm sure it is, but then, it was 1982. The only thing that wasn't terrible was the idea that bore the Miata, which existed back then.

I'm sure it is, but then, it was 1982. The only thing that wasn't terrible was the idea that bore the Miata, which existed back then.

They didn't bother changing anything aside said engine and gearbox for another 13 years. From 1983 (84 technically) to 1996, it was pretty much the same car. At a time when Ferrari introduced 3 new models (though, granted, the 328 and 348 weren't actually any good either) and Porsche had 2 more evolutions of the 911. The car that was miles ahead of the 308 and 930 back in 1983 was now miles behind the F355 and 993, at the end of its life in 1996.

If anything, the C4's only good point is that it made GM get off their asses and actually do something good with the C5 and C6 that followed.

i think i figured it out, it looks like an orgy of the Corvette, the 599GTB, the GTR and the Camaro..

What part of the Camaro are you guys seeing? I see the 599GTB/GTO and obviously the GT-R. Hell the C6 right now looks the 599 at times to me, but I still love it.

They didn't bother changing anything aside said engine and gearbox for another 13 years. From 1983 (84 technically) to 1996, it was pretty much the same car. At a time when Ferrari introduced 3 new models (though, granted, the 328 and 348 weren't actually any good either) and Porsche had 2 more evolutions of the 911. The car that was miles ahead of the 308 and 930 back in 1983 was now miles behind the F355 and 993, at the end of its life in 1996.

If anything, the C4's only good point is that it made GM get off their asses and actually do something good with the C5 and C6 that followed.
My point was that the Corvette was and is only good because of the round tail lights. You just proved my point that the square-tailed car had fallen behind the pack.

Does anyone know anything about the drivetrain yet ???

Well, everyone knows the basics...
  • Front engine
  • Rear wheel drive
  • Transmission mounted in the back

The bigger bits of contention are around the size of the V8 and the number of cogs in the gearbox.

As far as the engine goes...
  • A bunch of websites and magazines have previously suggested that the C7 will recieve the most-advanced V8 GM has ever produced. Rumors suggest that they're working on a small-displacement, forced-induction unit that is capable of producing power figures similar to that of the current Z06. Displacement figures are around 3.0-3.5L, featuring DOHC, aluminum construction, direct injection, and twin-turbochargers. I'd consider this to be the most-outrageous of the claims, considering the initial cost involved with developing a powerplant like this, and how for several years, it would only go in a single car. We're overdue for the next-generation small block, but this won't be it.
  • Websites like GMI have reported that the current LS3 and LS9 will see minor refreshes and be pushed out into the next C7. It seems reasonable, but somewhat unlikely given that the C7 is supposed to move the mechanical bits and pieces forward a bit. We have to remember that at the same time, GM will be debuting their new trucks, as well as in roughly the same window, a new Camaro as well. A brand-new V8 design based on the "traditional" technology seems more likely than continuing what is already available.
  • The most-likely situation is that the Corvette gets a next-generation small block that continues with the traditional layout while adopting as much of the modern technology as possible. It will be made out of aluminum, include direct injection and variable valve timing, but will continue using the OHV setup. Displacement figures will go down significantly compared to the current crop of V8s, but won't fall below 5.0L, as that seems incredibly unlikely given the wide variety of uses the basic archetecture will have. I'd bet on a 5.3L unit on the lowest end of the spectrum, or a traditional 5.7L unit on the highest end. The most-likely option is a 5.5L unit that is most likely going to be based on what is used in the C6.R. Keep in mind, we'll probably see the same engine show up in the Silverado as well as the Camaro. It will need to be flexible and powerful. Small discplacement engines do not suit the trucks, and tossing too much advanced technology into the engine means an incredibly high cost that cannot be absorbed easily.

As for the transmissions...
The current number is "seven." The implication is that, in a world that will now exist with a seven-speed manual in a Porsche 911, it would not be outrageous to see a seven-seed manual in a Corvette. There are some people who believe that this talk of a seven-speed manual suggests that GM is working on a dual-clutch setup with seven cogs, which would make sense. After all, we're due for a new transmission setup at GM as well. But, given that we've known about them developing an eight-speed automatic for some time, I'm not sure if we can really count on that rumor either.

I'm of the mindset that GM is more likely to offer a six-speed manual based on the current T6060, and then have an optional eight-speed automatic that will also see duty in the pickup truck line. It would be the most cost-effective option, and still be able to get the Corvette fuel economy ratings in the low 30s.

As for everything else...
I wouldn't expect them to reinvent the wheel in any way. Its going to keep dual-wishbones, it will probably keep the leaf-spring, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the electromagnetic suspension be standard-issue.

Back