Corvette C7

• Thread starter boomee
  • 2,702 comments
I'm hoping for a 5.5L direct injected VVT pushrod V8, and I'm hoping it comes soon so we can have it for the next, lighter Commodore in Australia so I can buy one, maybe.:D

What group of people started the rumor that the engine would be moved to behind the driver?

Which we already know isn't true and a terrible idea.

I really love this rear design on the first render, has just enough Corvette DNA in it.

xlarge_187014_mgxumiqan9qkfv1smdmciebsf.jpg

As far as the engine goes...
  • A bunch of websites and magazines have previously suggested that the C7 will recieve the most-advanced V8 GM has ever produced...featuring DOHC...

• I think you and I are in agreement that a bunch of websites and magazines have smoked themselves retarded.

The most reasonable idea I've heard is that the engines will be downsized a bit. Obviously DI and cam-in-cam and maybe cylinder deactivation will be included (does the Vette have that now?). It would be quite easy to make the engines much smaller without losing any power because their design right now is actually quite restrictive. When you can gain 25 wheel horses from a damn aftermarket intake...

As for the transmissions...
    I'm of the mindset that GM is more likely to offer a six-speed manual based on the current T6060, and then have an optional eight-speed automatic that will also see duty in the pickup truck line. It would be the most cost-effective option, and still be able to get the Corvette fuel economy ratings in the low 30s.
    I agree on the manual front, but the automatic seems sketchy. Hell, Ford and GM just designed their 6-speed a couple years ago. I honestly see the 8-speed autos from Europe as needless showboating.

As for the manual, a 6-speed serves the purposes of the engine character quite well. The first four gears are plenty to get the thing moving in a hurry (the amount of torque suits long ratios very well), and 6th gear is long enough to get to the moon at 25+ mpg. The only real benefit from a 7-speed would be 4th, 5th, and 6th gear getting shorter so it has more high-speed hustle, with 7th basically landing where 6th is now because that's about as low as it can go.

If the engine is downsized so far that the torque curve gets compromised on the low end, I can see room for shorter ratios all around in order to make up for it. But if that happens they'll have to work on the transmission's shift action a lot because that's something that has always been lagging. If I'm gonna shift a lot, it better be fun to shift.

As for everything else...
    I wouldn't expect them to reinvent the wheel in any way. Its going to keep dual-wishbones, it will probably keep the leaf-spring, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the electromagnetic suspension be standard-issue.
    Let us all pray that the interior is a glorious place to sit and drive and cruise. If there is anything the Corvette needs to help it out on the world stage, it is a new interior with seats that are properly performance-focused. Perhaps an optional sport seat, because lots of old guys out there want to cruise in a recliner.

...cylinder deactivation will be included (does the Vette have that now?)...

The Camaro and Caprice PPV have the cylinder deactivation on the LS3 and L76, but it isn't on the Corvette. I'd be willing to bet they offer it on the automatic-equipped Corvettes just like they do with the Camaro.

I agree on the manual front, but the automatic seems sketchy. Hell, Ford and GM just designed their 6-speed a couple years ago. I honestly see the 8-speed autos from Europe as needless showboating.

If I remember right, the GM/Ford automatic was designed only for front and all-wheel-drive applications, in a transverse layout. Their power restrictions are pretty low as well. With Chrysler having an eight-speed gearbox, it seems like a good opportunity for GM to do something as well. Its going to depend on the trucks, honestly. GM is betting a huge sum of money, apparently, on the next-generation Silverado and Sierra... And I'm pretty sure that whatever happens with the engines and transmissions in those trucks will have a direct effect on everything else that will come with a V8 or have a rear-drive option.

Let us all pray that the interior is a glorious place to sit and drive and cruise. If there is anything the Corvette needs to help it out on the world stage, it is a new interior with seats that are properly performance-focused. Perhaps an optional sport seat, because lots of old guys out there want to cruise in a recliner.

It seems like the interior upgrade option they offered in MY '08+ has had a pretty good uptake, so GM will probably offer a good number of those features standard on the next Corvette. They've always said that the cheap interior kept the MSRP down, but now that I'm having a hard time seeing "basic" Corvettes anywhere... They'll make the change.

I just hope they take the Recaros out of the CTS-V, re-purpose them for the Corvette, and go for it. They're arguably more comfortable, obviously hold you better, and wouldn't cost much more.

If I remember right, the GM/Ford automatic was designed only for front and all-wheel-drive applications, in a transverse layout. Their power restrictions are pretty low as well. With Chrysler having an eight-speed gearbox, it seems like a good opportunity for GM to do something as well. Its going to depend on the trucks, honestly. GM is betting a huge sum of money, apparently, on the next-generation Silverado and Sierra... And I'm pretty sure that whatever happens with the engines and transmissions in those trucks will have a direct effect on everything else that will come with a V8 or have a rear-drive option.
I don't know if it's the same transmission, but out Chevy work van has a 6-speed auto. I almost shat myself when I clicked the button through the gears and landed on 6. Wowzers.

I don't know what your point is. The only similarity between the two cars is that they're both wide, low, rear drive sports cars. It's a pretty standard formula.

Chikane
hopefully this next gen vette doesn't copy the styling of the gen 5 viper ...

like the C6 Copyed the gen 4

I Made my point:tup:

That you're a Viper fan boy? :P Keep in mind which of those is still in production.

I don't know if it's the same transmission, but out Chevy work van has a 6-speed auto. I almost shat myself when I clicked the button through the gears and landed on 6. Wowzers.

All of the GMT900 trucks got the 6-speed automatic in 2008 or 2009 if I remember right. My Dad's Avalanche has it, it really changes the way the truck gets up and goes from a standstill compared to his GMT800 model he had before.

Its basically the same transmission that sees duty in the Corvette, Camaro and Caprice PPV, and CTS-V. If there is anything that GM does better than anyone else, its transmissions. BMW and a couple of other "holier than thou" automakers would be happy to agree, but they don't like talking about it.

hopefully this next gen vette doesn't copy the styling of the gen 5 viper ...

like the C6 Copyed the gen 4

I Made my point:tup:

Hmmm... Wrong. Look at any American car from the mid 2000's... Hell, look at any sports car.

saturn_sky_33.JPG

Its basically the same transmission that sees duty in the Corvette, Camaro and Caprice PPV, and CTS-V. If there is anything that GM does better than anyone else, its transmissions. BMW and a couple of other "holier than thou" automakers would be happy to agree, but they don't like talking about it.

Hmm, I don't have any experience with the transmission you're talking about from the 'Vette/Camaro/CTS-V etc etc., but the transmission in my dad's Buick Enclave is pretty bad. It's clunky, and the downshifts are just far too slow. It's a shame really, because otherwise it's a fantastic vehicle.

Hmm, I don't have any experience with the transmission you're talking about from the 'Vette/Camaro/CTS-V etc etc., but the transmission in my dad's Buick Enclave is pretty bad. It's clunky, and the downshifts are just far too slow. It's a shame really, because otherwise it's a fantastic vehicle.

The 6T75E is the transmission that you're thinking of, which was a joint-venture between General Motors and Ford Motor Company. It is a medium-duty unit that has gone into a wide variety of mid-size sedans and crossovers. Issues with the transmission, that I know of at least, have more to do with the programming done by Ford and GM to promote fuel economy.

The 6L90 that sees duty in the trucks, sports cars, and other rear-drive vehicles is otherwise a bulletproof design. The state of tune in the Corvette and CTS-V has received a lot of praise for crisp and immediate up/downshifts.

I'm obviously a big Corvett fan, but my criticism of the C6 generation is that its front end is a bit....timid at times. It doesn't have that super intimidating bite. It lacks fury. I hope they make it sharper and meaner looking.

It must have cup holders to be successful.

Joking aside, does anyone remember that rumor where GM was gonna make the C7 a mid engine car?

Man they were smoking the good stuff.

It must have cup holders to be successful.

Joking aside, does anyone remember that rumor where GM was gonna make the C7 a mid engine car?

Man they were smoking the good stuff.

You mean that rumor that's been going on since the CERV I concept in 1960?

1. announce car
2. wait for flood of 3rd party renderings
3. base final product on said renderings
4.???????????
5. profit!!!

1. announce car
2. wait for flood of 3rd party renderings
3. base final product on said renderings
4.???????????
5. profit!!!

Jalopnik stated they saw a test mule running around completely naked.

Nevermind. I was giving chevy too much credit. Should've know better.

Except it looks like the mule might have a Targa top.

The top goes too far forward to be a targa top. It's just a normal solid roof slab that deploys at 120mph for aero purposes.
The rear quarter panel has a gt-r look to it.

Except it looks like the mule might have a Targa top.
The test car probably is, all base C6's were targa tops. The one that Jalopnik sketched up was the supposed ZR1 version.

Back