"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m guessing race a will be the FWD gr4 cars again?

Probably. The last 5 times at Autopolis were with the same selection of FF cars (Megane, Scirocco, TT Cup and RCZ). PD have surprised in the past but I wouldn't hold my breath.

A different track would be nice so long as it isn't Tokyo East Outer Loop again. That was a bumpathon.

Yesterday I solemnly entered the livery editor, loaded up a gr3 vette, and prepared it for its journey across the killing fields known only as ‘Interlagos’.
I had but a few moments prior to venturing forth in country to enter my final battle of the week there...Tiger always wore red on Sunday, final entry? It seemed to fit, a basic red vette, with a couple NASCAR sponsor dekes slapped on...
I was ready.
I began the attack in the eight hole. WRX and 911 seventh and sixth. 911 got loose in the Senna esses, WRX through at Descida do logo(4j I went a touch deep there and an R8 behind was licking his chops entering Ferradura (6) He got a bit physical at turn eight, rubbing by despite my attempt to squeeze him too tight. He did not defend at Bico de Pato (10), and I slipped by his inside.
Lap two began with me sitting 8.
By Descida do Logo I am gaining, and cars are taking it two wide, locked in intense battle. :). By Laranjhina (7) we are three wide, but I am controlling the inside and take two spots through 8.
Around Pinheirrhino (9) I go, just ahead 3 4 and 5 are having it out...911 vs WRX vs Lamborghini. It took me a lap to join the fray... Beginning lap 4 Lambo had a track cut .5 to serve, 911 is awaiting his spot, but I have gained and now the red vette is in the mix.
My vette hooked up through Senna, I’m on Lambo s bumper when he serves...I’m through into fifth!
Ahead is the vette s arch rival, 911, and now he’s got a wiggle on with no traffic...
Lap five begins...A touch too deep into Senna! No. The 911 looks to be out of reach, and Lambo is making a very tidy lap...
Nerves kick in...I decided to not push, just stay on track and hold the five hole down past the line.
Very intense race...My last of this week in daily B.

Well, I rounded out the week with a good pair of races, but slightly confusing. 2 races around fuji, 2 CRB. First race I am starting P12, manage to take advantage of turn 1 and hairpin chaos to be p10 heading to the back half of the lap when someone starts closing. They are simply faster through that winding bit so I am aware of them and taking a steady line. They take the hard hard inside line on the final turn, run out wide on exit pushing me onto the astro. I get all squirrelly but manage to save it as I drop back to p16, dead last. But they waited for me up the straight and let me bye. They had a 0.5 track limit penalty but nothing from hitting me. Great on them for recognizing it and letting me back. Then the next lap they do the same thing? I take the wider line, pretty much have my lefts at the curb, and they just keep coming over while only halfway up my door and hit me again? I keep it steady, they serve their penalty and proceed to crash out of my concern over the next couple of laps. I still ended that with CRB. Good luck penalty system. But otherwise it was a good night racing, couple of good battles a few laps on my own hunting down others. No real crashes. I will take it. Climbed spots both races, time to move on to the next week.

Mixed experience in Interlagos today with the last three races this week. The first one, lobby all C/S, the race starts with me in p6, through the esses I get to p4, all clean on others mistakes, then in T2 two cars run in to each other just ahead of me, one spin and no way out for me,get tapped an received a 4 second penalty. This puts me behind a "gentleman" in an AMG, he blocks all through to the straight by weaving, then let's me through as slipstream makes me faster. Then taps me and run off to cut the esses. Another 4 second penalty. And the 16 players we started with are now down to 12...
Super dirty race,leaves me at 77 SR points and looses 500 Dr.

Second race, now all C/A, very clean, very hard racing, one guy taps me and gained a position, instant brakes and let me back up. Went from p8 to P2. CRB, win 500 Dr.

Third attempt, back in all C/S lobby. Same guy there, I warn the lobby before racing.
Clean race but I must be tense or maybe angry, because I drive like a newb, sliding at several corners, going from p4 to p7. Gain 200 Dr.

Time to paint cars and relax.

I haven't played GT Sport much in the last months, but in the last days I went for it again.
Yesterday I spent most in Daily Race B, mostly finishing in the midfield.
Today I focused on Race C at Fuji.
I already had a time of 30.8 with the '16 GTR and did 2 races with it, starting and finishing mostly in the back.
Then I went for the '08 GTR and boy what a difference that makes. It's a bit faster for me (and looking at the cars participating for most people too) and I improved my time over the day to a 29.7 in the end.
And that time made a hell of a difference for the races. In the last two races (the only ones with that qualy time) I started 2nd and 1st. In the first race I got in P1 in lap 2 and had a growing gap to the cars behind. I went for the pits in lap 6 and went from medium to hard. Then I realized the car behind was on hard tires and was now on mediums. The gap was around 4 secs immediately after the stops. Over a few laps that got down to a second, but unfortunately for him he must have cut a bit somewhere, because he had a 1 second penalty. That got the gap back to 3.5 secs with 3 laps to go. His tires started to fade too so I was able to finish first. Damn that was good (usually I'm in lobbies way too strong for me so I don't win much).
The next race I was in P1 pretty much from start to finish. Got lucky in the first lap as there was some carnage going on behind me so I was already about 4 secs in front when beginning lap 2. Then it was the same strategy as before and won again. Lucky me, that probably won't be happening again soon :D
Both races were 20mins and 14 secs. Those races also gave me about 3000 DR points.
I guess I will play a bit more in the future ;)

Mixed experience in Interlagos today with the last three races this week. The first one, lobby all C/S, the race starts with me in p6, through the esses I get to p4, all clean on others mistakes, then in T2 two cars run in to each other just ahead of me, one spin and no way out for me,get tapped an received a 4 second penalty. This puts me behind a "gentleman" in an AMG, he blocks all through to the straight by weaving, then let's me through as slipstream makes me faster. Then taps me and run off to cut the esses. Another 4 second penalty. And the 16 players we started with are now down to 12...
Super dirty race,leaves me at 77 SR points and looses 500 Dr.

Second race, now all C/A, very clean, very hard racing, one guy taps me and gained a position, instant brakes and let me back up. Went from p8 to P2. CRB, win 500 Dr.

Third attempt, back in all C/S lobby. Same guy there, I warn the lobby before racing.
Clean race but I must be tense or maybe angry, because I drive like a newb, sliding at several corners, going from p4 to p7. Gain 200 Dr.

Time to paint cars and relax.

I can totally relate haha! Had a day like that earlier in the week. I often feel A is cleaner than S those times when I fall down there. Maybe ppl trying to get back to S or something. Experienced that several times.

Did the manu race 3 times today. Failing to win even from pole. But it took me back to Dr B at least.
Ended the week with a Fuji race with the bees. Was fun and a good race!
65C32B25-9C60-486D-B8CA-FA70036ACDC4.jpeg

I started racing dailys with a wheel (T300RS) a few months back. I am still miles from the top times, and just like everyone i am trying to be faster.

I have had TCS off for a good few months now, and as all of you know there always seems to be a GR3 or GR4 category every week, cars in these two classes have become most familiar to me. I have found the 4WD selection in GR4 (GTR, Lambo and WRX) makes the least difference in terms of driving style between having TCS on and off, but with no 4WD options in the GR3 class i have had to pick the next best thing that I could find - 911 GT3.

I believe most of you have gone through the same transition experience, paying more attention to braking, accerlation as well as where on the track to place the car (I have found some curbs at Spa can be real killers). After months of learning and adjustment, i have found myelf stuck to the 911 for GR3, simply because it allows me to accelerate out of a corner earlier as well as keeping some brake pressure when trail braking (I suppose due to it being MR and its geometry etc that contributes to the weight distribution). I find myself losing control much more easily with other (mostly FR) cars, and feel that I have a much narrower margin with the steering wheel where I can brake and accelerate. I know many other people are faster than I am with these other cars (I have done a 1:32:7 at interlagos this week with the 911, at BB-2), and I just find myself to always be slower with them because i have to end my braking earlier in the track and accelerate out of corners later in general.

Yes I know the secret is always practice, practice and practice, but i would like to hear what some of you have discovered to overcome this. As aside from being faster, I would also like to enjoy a wider selection of cars.

PS. I was fine with FR cars in slower categories (not a surprise I suppose), like the Nordschilfe race with GT86 a few weeks ago.

Ok, so while we are on the dailies and it is turning a bit over sportsmanship with the new reckless penalty system I have a few questions for others, especially faster guys like @pennanton and @manion that I have seen slightly more often in the dailies. When I screw up I try to make sure I give a spot back, that we mostly agree on.

My question is about when I have a faster driver ripping up behind me. I try to be aware of this as much as possible and make sure I predictably stay in my standard line, but when I know it is a passing spot coming up I usually try to stick to the standard line and put my signal on, like on Fuji I stay hard left and put on my right indicator heading down the front straight to let you know I know you are there and I won't just turn in on you. I am not going to just give up, you still have to make the turn clean but I am trying to let you know I won't throw crazy blocks or some stupid moves. Do you guys pay attention to this or is it just about useless?

Last night I went through this twice in 2 laps with 1 guy (who I have raced a few times and know I can trust) and both times he overcooked it into the turn and I ended up just driving back by as he went wide and I cut back on the normal line. I kept the spot to the end of the race. Is this of any benefit or am I wasting my time?
Personally I'm not sure I would see the indicator but I would appreciate more drivers understanding how to hold their line when it comes to the braking zone I've lost track of the amount of time I have brakes later than a car but wouldn't have run halfway across the track, as in I still got the car stopped and people just turn in on you like you aren't there or see you coming and move over to block while braking. They might be able to make that move but I'm braking on the limit to get past it's going to end up in contact.

I know when a faster car comes up behind me I will attempt to defend the position but I make it glaringly obvious that's what I'm doing. I mean these are guys I know I'm almost as fast as and it's not a second or 2 a lap difference like it can be when I'm overtaking from the back without qualifying. Guys that are that much faster I just try and hold a line and trust that they can pass clean and not lose too much time. Sometimes it can help especially at Fuji with the drafting down the main straight.

Not a bad finish to the week. I raced mostly A this week, and finished with a 3 star win, and (2) 2nd's. One of the P2 finishes had one of our top 10 guys with a time of 22.0 on pole. He actually slowed me down for the first 2 laps:eek:, the first due to protecting, not sure why I was on him on the second, but after getting a better drive off the final corner to start L3, he pulled a gap of about a second that I couldn't pull back. The other P2 finish might have been a win since I started on pole and led the first lap, but the second place guy got some overlap coming out of the pit hairpin. He had the draft, and some speed coming in, so I covered the inside, giving him a better line for the drive out. He was to my left, so I had the inside for the first corner of the final combo, and I made a good job of it, but instead of backing off, he tried going side by side, and basically drove me into the wall at the next left, puting me back to 4th. Last lap I got into 3rd at the docks, and caught mister side by side at the pit hairpin. I was all over his bumper out of the hairpin and through the esses. He started getting out of shape in the esses, and I nailed it, which allowed me to get inside him for the final corner. I got a good drive out and beat him to the line for 2nd, finishing a good week at Tokyo, racing mostly as an A driver. Just for kicks, I raced at Fuji one final time. My 31.0 got me a P4 start in an A+,A and B room. I went M,H,M on tires, but had some bad luck with pit timing and had to work hard on the last stint on mediums just to get 5th. I did take 2 seconds out of a 3 second gap to 4th on the final lap. Top 3 were gone...fastest lap was a 30.2, so I was never gonna be in that battle anyways.

Yecch, had a look at the coming races and I think I might be spending the week aiming at the livery editor. Race A is a relentless repeat, but didnt run it last time so maybe try that. I simply can not figure out maggiore for anything and I have struggled forever with race pace on both that and the nord. Just one of those weeks I guess. Although depending on the car we might see @Sven Jurgens reappear for another mighty 100 or so races around the nordschleife to show us how it's done. We will know on race a and c soon enough.

Edit: Race A is the FF repeat. Race C is the 911 club sport. Which when I took it out handled like the 86, only faster and less grip. And now with tire wear! :D:banghead:

Last edited:
I am going to keep doing my thing, you do yours. My big point on this was my using the blinker when it isn't necessarily that the overtake us imminent, but that it is a time when trying to block their line is a bit BS. Like I am on worn Hards, they have fresh Mediums and have sucked my slipstream the whole front straight on say lap 7.

In my mind they have a massive head of steam over me by seeing the closing speed. They have the better rubber so should be able to nail it anyway and maybe I can get their draft for a bit. Also it is way too early to pull a hard defense as there are still 6 laps to go. Last lap? No 🤬 way, you have to take it. Halfway through on different strategies where pulling g over to shut the door is pretty much begging for contact and penalties, I feel reasonable letting you know that I see you coming so either nail the turn and take it because I will give you the car width or get in behind.
I would say only use the signal if you absolutely plan on giving up the spot. I think using the signal sometimes gives the guy behind the idea that it’s ok to “lunge” even if he isn’t close enough to do so. The fact that you are aware puts you one step ahead of most, sacrifice a position to maintain the pace is almost always the best option.

Has the 650S GT3 always handled this good? I remember it was plagued with the "MR slide". This thing is handling like it's on rails. I only did three qualy laps, but each one was quicker, as I gained more confidence that the car wouldn't slide lifting off throttle. Starting with a 58.252. After a couple days from the game and classed as an A/S driver, see how we go.

I figured I should do a couple of laps just to get a feel for things ready for Friday (read Saturday morning). Didn't do any laps yet for race A. Race B seems business as usual for Gr3. Later tonight I'll do Race B with the M6. After doing a lap and a half at the ring, it's obvious the team deciding what combination to run were listening to Simon and Garfunkel at the time :crazy:.

This player in the R8 messed up my first race. Did the same in this second race. Too much placing the car in a spot when there's no way for anyone to back off. These cars don't maneuver on a dime. The GT-R was trying to seize an opportunity, but no need to predict a collision IS inevitable.

Don't know how I got a CRB after that
ENl0827UwAA4Yyo

I'm honestly so sick of them doing this stupid gr.4 thing where we gotta use only front wheel drive cars, all of which I cannot stand. Especially when it's at a track I LOVE like autopolis. If they don't want to give us a free choice, limiting it to fwd cars is by far the worst option for me. I drive the 4C, the opposite of these lil crap boxes.

At least I can do the 4C in the gr. 3 race. Alfa romeo FOR THE WIN!!!!!

Step 1: apply pressure
Step 2: wait for the mistake
Step 3: capitalize

Nice driving. It's funny how you have to fake drive like a maniac and feint a fake dive bomb until they start over protecting the inside line and ruining their lap. The funny part was when you passed him, and then they sincerely tried to dive bomb you but only ended up trashing their own lap instead.

Race A - Eh, ok. I'll do it once in awhile. At least we have choices of cars.

Race B - One of my favorite combos

Race C - Love the Nord and when I bought that Porsche from the last update, I ran it on this track and I thought it was a fantastic car for it. So I'm really happy to see it used here.

I'm a very unhappy bunny. I entered Race B. Did my qualifying with the M6, which as it turns out is a bit of a rocket ship for me. According to PD I set my personal best for the track. That started me P3/16 on an all DR/D grid. I was happy with this, as I was expecting a mixed grid of DR/D and C.

The race starts, and no dramas through T1/2 3 or 4. Then we get to the big corner before the esses. For some reason which still escapes me, I kept over to the left, got 2 wheels on the grass before turn in, and spun out. I was royally PO'd with myself, cause it looked to be a good race. I fell back to last place. I was obviously a bit quicker than some of the field not just in qualy. I managed to bite and scratch and claw my way up to P6 by the vinegar strokes of the final lap. I had 1 corner to go... and I was 🤬🤬🤬 disconnected :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:! Since i didn't even finish the race, I'll run the M6 again tomorrow.

So far KP is not registering a loss of SR, but the DR I gained from my win has evaporated with interest :irked:. Another day above DR 1 :mad:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back