"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
First attempt at this week's Race C. And probably my last; the rest of the dailies this week are pretty naff and I think I've peaked in this race.

EWl_iPOUwAAKBdl.png

Clearly I won because of the Project CARS livery. /s

:lol: Well that sucks. 40 seconds to enter the Spa race. Click on it. No car. I have the '20 Supra... it's the Supra '19!!! :lol: Reading, is fundamental. :gtpflag:

DWG stops on the Time Attack WRX. Guess I'll drive that around tonight. Yeah, I'm ready for the next daily races. Bring back the real "daily" races, PD.

:lol: Well that sucks. 40 seconds to enter the Spa race. Click on it. No car. I have the '20 Supra... it's the Supra '19!!! :lol: Reading, is fundamental. :gtpflag:

DWG stops on the Time Attack WRX. Guess I'll drive that around tonight. Yeah, I'm ready for the next daily races. Bring back the real "daily" races, PD.

Release a new car. Have a daily race that uses the old one. That's PD logic right there :lol:

Couldn't hold back and had a go at race C. 1. I am a waaaaay improved driver from the last time I tackled this track and was embarrassed. 2. No one seems to want to conserve tires.

I was middling B/S lobbies, and everyone took off tires blazing on lap 1. My first race I started p18 and was in p9 when someone just lost it on old tires and wiped me out. Got a 4 sec penalty and shredded my tires. Still came home p11 with a 7 sec gap to p12.

Second race I decided to set a lap on hards, since improved, that started me p15. By end of lap 4 I am p3 and pitting. Made 2 real passes, rest were pit stops and wrecks. Come out p9, by 1 more lap I am p5 after more pit stops and 2 more wrecks from old tires. I am gaining on the group of p2, 3 and 4, but not really going to make it until 2 of them lose it on the last lap. Finish p3. Might be done for week. Still a rough race. 1 spin or real slide is a massive game changer for.the mediums tires. Definitely don't push them longer than 4 laps.

Last edited:
Just had a go at Race A - quali 129.0 put me on P2.

P1 driver choosing some terrible wide lines held me up at the first few corners, then shunted by P3 & P4 that caught up.

what I don’t get... heading into a turn, I’m out wide on the racing line, someone catching up tried to go up the inside by getting their front wheel next to my rear bumped just as I’m turning in... not sure what they expect to happen, other than I nudge them and we both lose time...

it’s like a crash in slow-mo, seeing them on the radar just before the corner!

EDIT: Next race, P1... P2 punted me on the 3rd corner, I called him on it after the race & he says “yep”... what a tool

Last edited:
You know what, I'm enjoying Yamigiyabi. Annoyingly haven't won a race yet.

But my best result had to be this 3rd when I was matched with 2 S ranked players when I was BA. Their names ring a bell PGMotorsport and Tobii_GTS. Finished about 5 seconds behind 1st and had an S rank finish behind me.

Edit - This was using the Beetle too.

Woo! back-to-back wins on Race A...

2nd time around I was P2, but lucky to get out in front and avoid the absolute carnage behind!

Now my DR is up, I’m back to SR99 & I’m now in that sweet spot where I’ll get punted to kingdom come and end up dropping down to DR A again...

EDIT: Started P1, then bumped and shoved into the wall for P8, & fought back to P2... definitely a case of “avoid the pack”!

Update: Pole to P1 in the next race, I’m managing to keep surviving - I think that it’s still a “new” race helps, everyone is getting up to speed on how the 208 handles...

Last edited:
My DR is plummeting and guys, I am just not having fun. As soon as I get a decent race going, someone ruins it.

This was exciting until I got side swiped into the wall, not only do I spin out, but it gives me a penalty.

The definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

So finally I decide to start on hards for 6 laps and switch over to meds just to avoid the carnage. I end up with the same result. I just don’t have the pace and when I try to push it, I just end up slower. Something about my driving is just off, or I truly don’t belong at this DR. I’ve watched the top 10 replays, I can get down to a 1:18 flat qualifying, maybe better if I spent more time at it, but once the race starts I am so off pace.

Watching my brake work, it seems that I am applying them way more than necessary but not actually getting the car to turn in. Maybe it’s my pedal setup that is holding me back (Logitech G29) as I can’t seem to apply that 10% brake needed to get the nose to rotate without it just understeering worse than had I not braked at all.

I think when that happens - just skip that particular race combo - some combos just seem to not “fit” some people (usually me!)

I had the ****s with Monza, so stopped for a few days - but now had fun with the Mini Race A and now the 208.

EDIT: I’ve not been playing that long, and have had 6 wins and a bunch of podiums until today... Race A tonight I’ve got 5 wins!

Last edited:
Ran two race C on my kids account, he is home in Quarantine and wanted me to take his for a ride.
First in the pug (not the VGT), started p10 on hards, ran 4 laps, changed to meds. Ended p9(p6) since a guy with one red connection rear ended me hard at the braking for hairpin downhill, I got back on track as p16, and by pit stop I was p9, got bumped in pit and crossed the finish line as p11 but the guy right in front brake checked me because he spent penalty and wanted to finish in front of me. He got 1 second penalty, the guy ahead of him had 1,5 and two more for 20 sec for tires. So p6 for me.
This was a C/A lobby, I got CRB and a blue S.

Next lobby, p12 after improvement of Qt, now C/S, but two drops or disco before start so p10.
Clean but hard racing, I ran 5 laps on hard, 3 mediums in the Beetle. Finished p3, pleased with this race. P1 and P2 was 13 seconds ahead until last lap, the the P1 becomes P2 and the gap shrink to 6 seconds.
The now P2 ask in post "what are you doing??" The answer from the "winner" is : "Win".....
I think it's the first race I have been in where the top are dirtier than the midpack.

My DR is plummeting and guys, I am just not having fun. As soon as I get a decent race going, someone ruins it.

This was exciting until I got side swiped into the wall, not only do I spin out, but it gives me a penalty.

The definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

So finally I decide to start on hards for 6 laps and switch over to meds just to avoid the carnage. I end up with the same result. I just don’t have the pace and when I try to push it, I just end up slower. Something about my driving is just off, or I truly don’t belong at this DR. I’ve watched the top 10 replays, I can get down to a 1:18 flat qualifying, maybe better if I spent more time at it, but once the race starts I am so off pace.

Watching my brake work, it seems that I am applying them way more than necessary but not actually getting the car to turn in. Maybe it’s my pedal setup that is holding me back (Logitech G29) as I can’t seem to apply that 10% brake needed to get the nose to rotate without it just understeering worse than had I not braked at all.

I also use a G29, and I think braking has always been my weak point. Very hard to modulate with the G29 pedals. Push too hard and your brake distances go long, but like the throttle, the actuall usable range is small. I've gotten better, and found that lighter pressure gives shorter distances, but still have no feel. Makes for inconsistancy. At Fuji I would brake at the same point in Q, so no dirty air, and if I hit em hard at first, I would go long. If I was light on the pedal, sometimes it would be perfect into T1, sometimes I would go long because I was too light at first, and sometimes I would have to release the brakes because I dropped too much speed and was short of the corner. With better feel, I'd always brake late enough for the last to work, but I can't count on my braking distance to always be that short.
My wheel is also showing it's age. It's always had a "dead spot" on center, which is mostly in the force feedback, and only slightly in the actual steering of the car. That is up to about 20 degrees of rotation now. Makes it hard to control, especially when correcting small slides. It's like driving a car with shot tie rod ends. I would love to try out a high end wheel and pedals setup to see how I do.

I also use a G29, and I think braking has always been my weak point. Very hard to modulate with the G29 pedals. Push too hard and your brake distances go long, but like the throttle, the actuall usable range is small. I've gotten better, and found that lighter pressure gives shorter distances, but still have no feel. Makes for inconsistancy. At Fuji I would brake at the same point in Q, so no dirty air, and if I hit em hard at first, I would go long. If I was light on the pedal, sometimes it would be perfect into T1, sometimes I would go long because I was too light at first, and sometimes I would have to release the brakes because I dropped too much speed and was short of the corner. With better feel, I'd always brake late enough for the last to work, but I can't count on my braking distance to always be that short.
My wheel is also showing it's age. It's always had a "dead spot" on center, which is mostly in the force feedback, and only slightly in the actual steering of the car. That is up to about 20 degrees of rotation now. Makes it hard to control, especially when correcting small slides. It's like driving a car with shot tie rod ends. I would love to try out a high end wheel and pedals setup to see how I do.
I would get a True brake if I had a G29.

https://www.axc-sim.com/product/load-cell-for-logitech-g29-pedals/

Also using G29 and the brake pedal and the inconsistency made me modify it :) I was having the same problems, I'm applying the same pressure during qualifying and I'm getting used to a certain muscle memory needed to make the brake bar fill up to 100%, but then if due to some reason I slam on the brake, then the braking force is recalibrated and there is a "new" 100% equal to the last force I applied - needless to say that this caused chaos on my braking points - so long story short, I just removed the rubber from the braking pedal and put a wooden piece with around 1mm shorter of the rubber one to compensate - now I know that when i press the pedal at 100% - it is 100% and no mater how hard I slam on the brakes I'm always hitting the wooden piece and not the stupid rubber which shrinks and allows the inconsistency.

I removed the rubber block from the G29 brake pedal. It's a horror.

Also g29. What ffb settings are you liking and do you use abs weak or default?

Yeah the G29 brake pedals work way better if you baby them a bit. Just slamming them lights up the ABS and takes away stopping power. It took me awhile to figure out why I had to brake so much earlier than everyone else. My lap times have improved quite a bit since I've figured it out.

I'm going to order that load cell mod eventually. I've been doing really well recently without it, though.

Is there a US supplier? This might be what I need. I'll check the settings in the game first though. I know I tried turning off ABS in the past and that was a disaster. I don't see many fast drivers NOT using ABS so I don't think that's my issue. It's just getting those light touches to point the nose that I need help with.

I've gotten better, and found that lighter pressure gives shorter distances, but still have no feel. Makes for inconsistancy. At Fuji ...
Fuji was another combo I struggled with this week. I don't know how my DR got so high as to place me with such fast drivers...or I'm simply not quick enough at these combos. I had no problem with the hard braking zones at Fuji, but again it was the finesse of Coca Cola, Hairpin, and Netz that had me a second or two off pace. The turns that end up being a lift-turn-scrub-coast-gas become lift-turn-scrub-scrub-more-wtf-why-am-i-not-turning-in-coast-get-punted-rage-quit. I get it though, too much brake and you overload the front tires and understeer, but there is literally no feedback to how much brake you need. It's a guessing game as tires wear down, or it's simply wrote memory of when to brake each lap based on how much your tires typically wear down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back