"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
2 more races for me this evening. Clean racing the entire time, except for one pass. Decent results as well.

Race 1 I’m in P10 to start. I’m also so back to 99 SR so the racing was much better. I managed to get an off-track penalty after I miss the pit entry just enough to count. I run too deep in turn 4 on lap 3 and send a driver into the gravel. I wait for them to recover to give the spot back, but they spin out in the recovery attempt, and I just go. I felt bad, but that’s the way it goes, I guess. I was going to apologize afterwards, but they quit the race early. That allows the 2 cars behind to catch up and pass me. Nothing else of note happens in this one after my punterino. Just clean racing from the 2 that passed me earlier. A few off-track penalties from me don’t help my cause. In the end I finish P11. Very enjoyable race I must say.

Race 2 is more of the same starting again in P10. I pitted lap 1 as a group of 6 cars were all fighting in front of me, and I didn’t want to be caught up in any mess they were going to make. Lap 4 comes a dive from a driver on the last turn. I guess they thought they could make the gap but no, but I get forced off in the pass. And get the off-track penalty for insult to injury. I find myself in P6 in the final laps, but I just can’t catch P5. A double off-track penalty makes me drop from P6 to P7 on the final lap. But, like yesterday, someone forgets to pit, and I jump back to P6.

I really need to keep the off-track penalties to a minimum. I’m pushing too hard for no good reason and I’m making mistakes as a result. Aside from that, I’m having a great time at the Red Bull Ring this week so far.

Haven't found time to run C more than once this week, but the shorter race B I have done a few and I am having fun when not being dive-bombed in the hairpin.
I go wide because it the fastest line but then someone (almost every time a WRX) comes flying from .7 back and T-bone me at apex. An apex they couldn't make without me.
And people running wide and not making room in the last.corner....

Next week …… shockingly poor.

Race A ….. Punt fest lasting 6 minutes.
Race B ….. Punt fest that lasts 6 minutes. 3 Laps, really?
Race C ….. Just a time trial featuring mobile chicanes on a piece of tarmac totally unsuitable for ”racing” modern day cars. It never ceases to amaze me how popular this monstrosity appears to be.

Just my 2c. Not a happy camper.

Stay safe.

Yeah I will NEVER understand 5 minute B races, that should be 5 laps, on what planet is it 3?

I actually agree on the ring, never been a fan but i suspect it is because i cannot remember the turns.

PGA2021 it is.

Last edited:
I simply do not have the race pace to hang with A and A+ drivers. I qualy 11th or 12th but finish 16 through 20. Cannot turn a 37, just can't.
I've done 37.5 in the Viper and the M4, 37.6 in the 650S, 37.7 in the 458 and F-type and it still feels I need to gain a few tenths to really impact the race whilst racing from the back. All these cars don't have much between them at all, all very decent and usable and all capable of similar lap times I'd have thought. :)

Will try a few more cars before the week is up, maybe one of them will find more pace but I doubt it. :dopey:

:gtplanet::cheers:

Race C: Gr.3 @ Nürburgring 24h | 2 laps | RM | Tyres x4 | Fuel x2
The recent FIA race was actually my first full laps of the nord since GT4!! When I had more than enough time on my hands to know it by heart and (at least attempt to) drive every car in the game on it.

Every time it's come up since I just haven't had the time to learn it to that extent again, but I did have a go in the recent races and really enjoyed it. Some parts even coming flooding back from the memories where nostalgia makes it feel like nothing's changed in the graphics :lol: (though GT4 was and remains stunning).

A week of it is going to be a blast for me and boy is it gorgeous on GTS.

I set my qualy time in the Megane with the RCZ 2 tenths slower and the Ferrari another 2 tenths slower. I can't race the Ferrari, i dive into corner aggressively using the D-pad and she doesn't like that. The Megane struggles a bit as the tyres wear compared to the RCZ.

It's becoming an issue for me though, I can pull off pretty decent qualy times on tracks I like, faster than more than half the A drivers, but that involves using every mm of road and leaning HARD on the rubber. In race, i don't have the consistency to keep up. I ran a 36.8 in qualy but my race pace is low 38s, others are qualifying with a 37 flat and doing high 37s in race.

I am getting murder through the two left handers, I am slow to enter, my mid corner speed is poor and my exit is poor. So from entry on the first left to braking for the 2nd last corner, i am losing half a second a lap. I make up a bit through the last turn and T1.

I may hit a wall a few times to get my SR off 99 and get in a more suitable room where i can compete. In one race, my 38K DR was good for dead last rank, so I was wearing bib 20, that's a bunch of fast guys man.
I've done 37.5 in the Viper and the M4, 37.6 in the 650S, 37.7 in the 458 and F-type and it still feels I need to gain a few tenths to really impact the race whilst racing from the back. All these cars don't have much between them at all, all very decent and usable and all capable of similar lap times I'd have thought. :)

Will try a few more cars before the week is up, maybe one of them will find more pace but I doubt it. :dopey:

:gtplanet::cheers:

Last edited:
Next week …… shockingly poor.

Race A ….. Punt fest lasting 6 minutes.
Race B ….. Punt fest that lasts 6 minutes. 3 Laps, really?
Race C ….. Just a time trial featuring mobile chicanes on a piece of tarmac totally unsuitable for ”racing” modern day cars. It never ceases to amaze me how popular this monstrosity appears to be.

Just my 2c. Not a happy camper.

Stay safe.
They run N24 on it in modern cars every year.

I'll give the viper a lash, also wonder how the Veyron goes?
I imagine this when someone wants to drive the Veyron.

b17bc82a-9eda-4c92-9ca4-95cc632681f4_text.gif

Next week's dailies:

Race B: Gr.4 @ Maggiore GP | 3 laps | RM
The last time I tried Gr. 4 there, it was not friendly.

Yeah I will NEVER understand 5 minute B races, that should be 5 laps, on what planet is it 3?

I actually agree on the ring, never been a fan but i suspect it is because i cannot remember the turns.

PGA2021 it is.
Yeah. 3 laps seems really unfair. Are they even considering the difference in time between 1st and last crossing the starting line when they determine how many laps a race should be? I know these are 2 min laps but that is still just 6 mins. FFS you'd think they were paying for wear and tear on the track. It should be 5 laps imo. Not to mention we just had Gr4 on the shorter version of this track last week.

2 more good and clean races tonight. I tried not to push the car as hard all race, and it made a huge difference.

Race 1 I’m in P8 and the race was so clean and drama free, there’s nothing to report. Nice racing with some incidental contact, but that’s to be expected, I think. I somehow hold off some quicker drivers for the first 5 laps and they get by eventually. I finish P5 and say a nice word in chat the driver I was battling with the second half of the race. Just 1 off-track penalty when I cut T1 too sharp on the inside.

Race 2 is more of the same only I’m in P12. I did manage to hit my brakes instead of the gas at the start of the race and fall behind early. Oops. I thought my race was over because I lost so much time getting up to speed. I had a few nice battles for position and slowly made my way back up the field. I gained my final spot after P9 spun out while trying to recover from going wide on T1 on the final lap. I was surprised by my result and the clean racing during the race. Again, only 1 penalty when I run too wide coming out of T1.

It feels good to have some positive results again, and the nice racing is a bonus. I don’t know if I want to risk it tomorrow and race as I got my DR back to where it was before my recent bad race stretch. I’ll probably stop and end the week on a high note.

Last edited:
Yes they do, but IMHO this does not necessarily make it a suitable track for GTS which is what my comment was meant to reflect.
It's not a good circuit for close-quarters battles and constant overtakes, but its epic for long tactical battles and testing out driver endurance and accuracy. It's not great for short GTS races where impatience rules and driver discipline is a thing of fantasy. That said, I love driving it.

One of those weeks where I wish I had 4 more hours to put into race C.

My euro account is just under 25K (for the umpteenth time), my qually is down to a 1:36.7 with a few 10ths to go, and my race pace is in the high-low mid 1:37’s. A few more races and I’d finally have this account over 30K.

But alas, I work all weekend and I suck at next week’s daily’s 😂

This week I entered two daily races, having entered Race B and A at least once so far. I had finished on the bottom half of the standings but I did not finished in last in either of them either.

Last edited:
Race C, 12 laps, hard tires, Red Bull Ring, Group 4.

Turning the tankers round here is not a lot of fun - My forearms are on fire.

And all for a glorious 12th place.

Will not be repeating 😫

I set my qualy time in the Megane with the RCZ 2 tenths slower and the Ferrari another 2 tenths slower. I can't race the Ferrari, i dive into corner aggressively using the D-pad and she doesn't like that. The Megane struggles a bit as the tyres wear compared to the RCZ.

It's becoming an issue for me though, I can pull off pretty decent qualy times on tracks I like, faster than more than half the A drivers, but that involves using every mm of road and leaning HARD on the rubber. In race, i don't have the consistency to keep up. I ran a 36.8 in qualy but my race pace is low 38s, others are qualifying with a 37 flat and doing high 37s in race.

I am getting murder through the two left handers, I am slow to enter, my mid corner speed is poor and my exit is poor. So from entry on the first left to braking for the 2nd last corner, i am losing half a second a lap. I make up a bit through the last turn and T1.

I may hit a wall a few times to get my SR off 99 and get in a more suitable room where i can compete. In one race, my 38K DR was good for dead last rank, so I was wearing bib 20, that's a bunch of fast guys man.
This is my exact experience also. Delighted with my qualification time and pretty close too it subsequently so it's not a one off. But in the race I just drop through the pack

I'll take the compliment. In saying that, max is PROPER fast, I think he uses the stick not the dpad, but is elite level fast. I've seen him race top of A+ rooms.

Truth be told I am not a high A on pure pace. I dont race where I am not comfortable (no Suzuki, no fuji, no laguna seca, no big willow) and im a scrapper. Generally keep my nose clean, can pick when to engage and when to let other drivers go or fight each other etc. On tracks I am ok on, qualy pace is top half of A drivers but race pace at SR99 is low A pace, even high B.

Using a D pad means using different lines, corner profile needs to be in a V not a U. So imagine a late, high line then cutting across the apex in a very shallow manner. It can be fast but leans on the tyres REALLY hard so I get absolutely annihilated in the FIA races.

I need to make a decision on what I do next, my wrist is really sore this past month, in tight rooms I am pressing the gas button (yes I use x and box shuddup) really hard, too hard, buggering my wrist.

I've driven real cars for near 30 years now, including a bit of track time, when I use my cheap pedals and wheel it feels alien, I can't adapt at all, miles and miles off my pad pace, like seconds. It feels so unnatural. I need proper pedal tension, proper resetting of the wheel etc, like a real car.

Got in a little time today and managed to get inside my 5% target for the week. This time however is the first week since getting back to the game where I set that qualy for all 3 races. Sardegna and RBR weren't too hard so Gardens is where I had to practice.

Nothing exciting, but then again consistency is a good growth element so I'm happy with this week's results.

I'll take the compliment. In saying that, max is PROPER fast, I think he uses the stick not the dpad, but is elite level fast. I've seen him race top of A+ rooms.

Truth be told I am not a high A on pure pace. I dont race where I am not comfortable (no Suzuki, no fuji, no laguna seca, no big willow) and im a scrapper. Generally keep my nose clean, can pick when to engage and when to let other drivers go or fight each other etc. On tracks I am ok on, qualy pace is top half of A drivers but race pace at SR99 is low A pace, even high B.

Using a D pad means using different lines, corner profile needs to be in a V not a U. So imagine a late, high line then cutting across the apex in a very shallow manner. It can be fast but leans on the tyres REALLY hard so I get absolutely annihilated in the FIA races.

I need to make a decision on what I do next, my wrist is really sore this past month, in tight rooms I am pressing the gas button (yes I use x and box shuddup) really hard, too hard, buggering my wrist.

I've driven real cars for near 30 years now, including a bit of track time, when I use my cheap pedals and wheel it feels alien, I can't adapt at all, miles and miles off my pad pace, like seconds. It feels so unnatural. I need proper pedal tension, proper resetting of the wheel etc, like a real car.
The transition is so tough…. Let alone a tough pill to swallow when you’re in the fast side, but watch your times plummet when going to a wheel. Luckily I was like a Mid-B when I transitioned. The fall back to the C’s stung, but it wasn’t painful.

For chits and giggles I jumped on the controller yesterday morning for a qually session. It was a train wreck!!

Question…..

When I used the controller, I always used the left stick to turn and the triggers to brake/accelerate. Modulation was of the controls was doable.

HOW ON EARTH, ARE YOU ABLE TO MODULATE ANYTHING WITH THE D-PAD AND “X” AND “SQUARE”????

Back