"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
Might have to name each corner at Sardegna B II: Punt 1, Punt 2, Punt 3, etc. 😆

I'll be using that race to get comfortable with the SLS before FIA begins. The car is nearly 1500kg, but it does have over 400bhp. Still, I don't like my odds with its acceleration.
Don't get those corner names confused with Sardegna C names: Punt 1, Punt 2, Punt 3, etc. 😆

I just raced @Barra333 for what I think was the first time ever.
First lap was close. On lap 2, he messed up, and I got a big lead. Turn 1 on lap 3, I screwed up big time, and he got the lead.
It was close racing all the way to the end. He's pretty good. 🤜🤛

*Probably not a good time of day to race with my Australian account. Only 6 people showed up. I forgot about that. 😆
Good to see you there! Yeah, this time of day is when you pad stats on the Asian accounts. I just don't have this one hooked up for some reason and need to be consistently a second+ faster to be competitive. Optimum splits are about a second up on my Q time, but my mojo is not there right now. 🤔

Don't get those corner names confused with Sardegna C names: Punt 1, Punt 2, Punt 3, etc. 😆
No you're confusing Sardegna A, as they are the names of those corners.

Got on again today. It wasn't good. 😢 Improved my time in Race C but still at the back. Decided to take the Porsche out in the end. Had a good first lap and got up to 10th with all the lap 1 spinners. Then it all went wrong. Barged wide a few times and then kept running wide and picking up at times rediculous track limit penalties. I also spun at the hairpin after the first straight. Ended up 13th chasing the car ahead. Without the time loss I may have been looking at 11th.

Decided to jump onto Monza as it is usually good to me and I did well last time Gr3 was here. Tried the Vette in TT but it felt like a barge in Ascari so tried the Vantage and felt a lot better. Started the first race 16th or I would have as it decided to disco me. So I was able to set some more times and shaved almost 2 seconds off my time. Started 9th in the next race. I held back off the initial carnage into the Rettifilo but had to try and wind through the middle of it to avoid dropping like a stone. It looked like it was going to work as I must have gained 3-4 positions. However a spinning car ahead did not ghost and I hit it. This allowed a car on my outside who must have been gravel surfing to spin me out. Now DFL I had to get back on it. I was able to catch up and overtake a couple of cars but last lap I must have taken the second corner of the Roggia to quickly and spun on the kerb. Get back going for the car to spin out again. Frustrated I quit. Looks like I am B/A again but the start of the next race says I am S still. 🤔 I have increased my time again to go top of my leaderboard and start P5 this time. Unfortunately the lobby is full of lag. I spend at least 3 laps with cars flying everywhere. Last lap and things have settled. However a car behind is now battling a car ahead and the car I thought was battling seems to be behind me. I muck up Della Roggia and they catch. I defend into Ascari fine but they get the run towards the Parabolica. I have the inside but they do a dirty move. Just before the braking zone they tap me unstablising my car and off course I run deep on the brakes allowing them up the inside. I call them out but they maintain a dirty silence. At least I end up 5th so no loss, but that left a sour taste in the mouth.
Time to quit for the day.

Have you tried running with an automatic transmission in the GR.1 cars? It allows me to control my braking and turn points better because I am not worried about correctly shifting gears (these cars are too fast at times approaching turns).
The other side benefit are the auto downshifting clicks as they help track your progress during corner entry.

On corner entry I find it hard to judge if I am running too fast/slow and it allows me to make micro-adjustments accordingly.

Last edited:
I just had a great race at A. I've had plenty of wins this week, but finished 3rd in the last one. P1 checked out, but me and JoeRaiderFan, and Masoneer were bumper to bumper in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th the whole way.
It was clean, but very competitive.
Fun races like that are what keeps me coming back, not the wins. 😁

I just had a great race at A. I've had plenty of wins this week, but finished 3rd in the last one. P1 checked out, but me and JoeRaiderFan, and Masoneer were bumper to bumper in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th the whole way.
It was clean, but very competitive.
Fun races like that are what keeps me coming back, not the wins. 😁
I think I put on my activity the last win I had. I beat a strong player, but I seriously felt bad afterwards.
I don’t think that players raced often this week. They were a little slow and made a mistake-not a satisfying race at all.
I wish I could have raced more this week.
The most fun I had was before I qualified.

Last edited:
Have you tried running with an automatic transmission in the GR.1 cars? It allows me to control my braking and turn points better because I am not worried about correctly shifting gears (these cars are too fast at times approaching turns).
I find that more important than finding your brake marker is to know when to ease off the brakes.
In GR 1 it's amazing how much speed you can carry as long as the downforce has your back..

I ran 4 race C tonight. And I can surely tell it's weekend. Man there's a lot of unnecessary fighting and brawling.
At least two guys have taken being passed as a personal offense and gone full attack.
Then there was a (I think) unintentional dive OMB I T3....
He spun us both off and disconnected after it.
PS_App_20210704_113901.jpeg
PS_App_20210704_103021.jpeg

I find that more important than finding your brake marker is to know when to ease off the brakes.
In GR 1 it's amazing how much speed you can carry as long as the downforce has your back..

I ran 4 race C tonight. And I can surely tell it's weekend. Man there's a lot of unnecessary fighting and brawling.
At least two guys have taken being passed as a personal offense and gone full attack.
Then there was a (I think) unintentional dive OMB I T3....
He spun us both off and disconnected after it.
View attachment 1065124View attachment 1065125
It's weird because there are plenty of good overtaking sections on that track and yet people are so impatient that they go for moves in places where they never work like the high-speed final sector...

I had an incident where I messed up my line in that sector and smashed off the wall and back onto the circuit, hitting the car that was following me. Luckily I didn't take them out, but they got a two second penalty for my mistake. So at the start of the next lap I slowed down with them so they kept the position because it was sort of my fault. They messed up going into the bridge and I was able to go for a pass, but they swerved at the last moment and blocked me from passing. I asked them why they blocked me after the race and they just said: "u slo" 🤔

So much for courteous sportsmanship...

Last edited:
Sometimes I would really like to speak to Polyphony and just ask them for their logic.
"So Daily Race C is normally 20-25 minutes? Why don't we make it less than 12 minutes?"

Little bit of tyre wear for the FF cars, no refuelling, but at least the track has a number of challenging corners. I did it in the FF megane, because no-one ever uses it, and FF cars look strong but Megane Trophy looks strong as well. Not sure how it will do in the race though as the main straight could leave it a sitting duck.

Maybe 4WD might be ok as well, but I am not going to put more effort into it, so you will have to find out for yourself :)

Last edited:
Sometimes I would really like to speak to Polyphony and just ask them for their logic.
"So Daily Race C is normally 20-25 minutes? Why don't we make it less than 12 minutes?"

Little bit of tyre wear for the FF cars, no refuelling, but at least the track has a number of challenging corners. I did it in the FF megane, because no-one ever uses it, and FF cars look strong but Megane Trophy looks strong as well. Not sure how it will do in the race though as the main straight could leave it a sitting duck.

Maybe 4WD might be ok as well, but I am not going to put more effort into it, so you will have to find out for yourself 🙂
;)
1625472698009.png

Had fun in my first race. I stayed behind a Slophy all race. Even down the straight. COuld have passed all race, but I've played against that player and just saw how the Slophy behaved. Lap 4, it was cornering way better and pulling a little gap. I'd catch back up after the PZ and the Megane is good through thae latter part of the circuit. Caught back up on the straight again.
We caught a struggling M4 and the Slophy went past. I stayed patient to see how the M4 would go. It was way too slidey. I waited til the final corner and powered out easy. Crossed the line side by side. I think I was about .005 behind. FF Megane did pretty good all race. Going to try the SLophy in the next one.

Well, since the race finished with lots of time to spare, jumped in Race B. Four cars disco'd leaving me in 11/11 with one red bar. Finished P6 after some cars had trouble. Not to mention I COD'd being too cautious.
1625472748540.png

1625472776995.png

Last edited:
One race with Dragline. One race with Chef.
1625475084930.png

Didn't try to pass anyone. Just paced myself and let happen what'll happen. Some were trying too hard. I'm barely driving the cars. Going pretty slow actually. Smooth driving throguh the whole course.

GOing in on Race B again in Big Slophy. Haha.

Edit: Supras abound, but just like all the other "one make" races, wait for them to take each other out.
1625477324246.png

1625477355129.png

Last edited:
Did someone at PD assign 2 race Bs and no race C this week? Done 3 race C and that’ll probably be enough for the week. Tried the Slophy and the TT. I’ve literally never driven this track in this direction and it shows. I suck.

BUT what a ridiculous Race C combo. A 12 minute sprint in a class that is only fairly BoP’ed when tyre wear is a factor. I really don’t see the point in it.

Went out for a couple of race Cs. Saw @05XR8 in one. The FFs can time trial, but I'm really struggling with the fuel weight in the race. Especially in that 90 degree left. That thing is ugly in an FF. Also forgot how bad the penalties were and ended up with a 2.5 second penalty for drifting a hair wide on exit of the final turn. Ok, whatever PD.

Going to force myself to stick with the Scirocco all week as I picked VW for my Manu for FIA specifically to learn how to drive an FF so I probably need to try it.

Pace is there if I can keep it on track, but that is proving harder than I remember. Had @05XR8 Run me down easily in the Trophy while I kept running off. Keeping it on track is definitely worth free places in most of the races there.

Now to find time to try out the Fugu for race A

I'm not feeling it with these races to be honest. I would've been interested on doing Daily Race A if it was a different trio of N-class cars and not the Z trio. I'm not feeling it too with Daily Race C for unknown reasons (likely due to the time intervals after races and the track) so I'm sticking with Race B throughout the week and use my alt. Might also do a couple of races in different Gr.3 cars starting from this where I used a Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car.

Did a decent quali time of 1:38.1 enough to start on pole position but I had to deal with a GR Supra on my back since its the go to car for this race. Race starts and the dude in the GR Supra kept in check for the whole race so had to make sure I keep being consistent for this race in order to get a dub.

And just as when we reached the final lap, something happened to the GR Supra, we were having a good fight until he overcooked the corner after the high speed esses and he ended up hitting the wall and from there, I was on my way to a win. After the race I asked him if he was alright after that and it was all good.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210705180641.png

This also is great advice for the SF19, Gr. 2 & (to a degree) Gr. 3. I just watched my QT video from the last DTS II race 4 months ago & watched that last downhill chicane. I coasted through & hooked the last curb to get on the power as early as I could. Less about the downforce, but more to illustrate not riding the brakes through the whole section.

I had an incident where I messed up my line in that sector and smashed off the wall and back onto the circuit, hitting the car that was following me. Luckily I didn't take them out, but they got a two second penalty for my mistake. So at the start of the next lap I slowed down with them so they kept the position because it was sort of my fault. They messed up going into the bridge and I was able to go for a pass, but they swerved at the last moment and blocked me from passing. I asked them why they blocked me after the race and they just said: "u slo" 🤔

So much for courteous sportsmanship...
Gotta love lunkheads who say "u slo" when their qually time is slower than yours (by a few seconds) & they only got by because of a small mistake by you.

I did it in the FF megane, because no-one ever uses it, and FF cars look strong but Megane Trophy looks strong as well.
I love the FF Megane! Well, as much as is possible with an FF car because I generally despise using them... I've had some great races in it, and I think it sounds the best out of the FF's too.

I'm wondering if my trusty GT-R Gr.4 might be a contender at this one...

I would just like to apologize for any unsportsmanlike driving you may have witnessed me commit.
Nahh, you were good, you race well

I was brave and went out on race A this morning and with a good qual time I find myself on P3 at the start, and with luck found myself taking lead early and winning on my first attempt.

PS_App_20210705_064037.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Did someone at PD assign 2 race Bs and no race C this week? Done 3 race C and that’ll probably be enough for the week. Tried the Slophy and the TT. I’ve literally never driven this track in this direction and it shows. I suck.

BUT what a ridiculous Race C combo. A 12 minute sprint in a class that is only fairly BoP’ed when tyre wear is a factor. I really don’t see the point in it.
I like races like these. It equalises the field.
It's a track like Autopolis and even rare raced tracks like St Croix. What I mean is, if it were the normal way around, pretty much many players know that layout. Maybe once those players get used to the circuit, it changes, but I feel the oddball circuits suit me. It's "new", a fresh feeling to go out and explore. That's, just the way I see it.

Last edited:
Looking forward to this week after last. Monza blows, and I couldn't find the time to grind for a Gr1 car. I think I'll use this week as a test bed for my different Manu's spread out through my accounts. @Groundfish, been messing around with my brake setting as of late. Both the BRF setting and elastomers. All last week I ran (4) 65's and (2) 95's at the bottom, settled on my BRF at 40. Last night after I got punted first to last in the first 3 corners of the last slot of Monza, I started messing with the stack again. Currently I'm running 3-65's up top, 2-85's and 1-95 at the bottom. I might try 3-65's and 3-85's later today. I've tried my hardest with the foam insert in, but I can't get used to it. Just makes the whole pedal feel dead. The only thing its good for is creating a bit of a dead zone. This is where I wish I had a PC so I could program some dead zone into the pedal

Mixed results tonight. Got my wheel set up at the new place so this week means racing.

Race A. It's a shame it's Fugu Frenzy again, but there we go. Got my eye in and set a decent time. Started 3rd. But there was only 3 of us B's. The rest were D's! 😱
The Italian in 2nd obviously forgot to put on traction control as I got him off the line. There was a bit of a barge wide through turn 1 but nothing to put me off. I kept the car going and left in P2. That's where I stayed. P3 did catch up but went wide through the penultimate corner and lost a few seconds. A decent result for race 1.

Race B. Decided to try the AMG and qualified P10. Start was o.k. A few people went off and I was up to P7 at one point. Then lap 2 I went wide in Larini 2 (first one up this time) and was on the kerbing coming out. The car didn't like that and spun me. Then I COD'ed myself. Finished last on the road for P13. AMG did feel good though.

Race C. I love Sard B. But this way round is vile. Took me a while to get a flow. Started P13. Instantly got a run on the guy ahead. However my Megane decided it didn't like braking for turn 1. The amount of times I went wide or hit the barrier there was annoying. Picked up a couple of penalties for running wide which are BS. Got shoved a couple of times. In the end I crawl back to 13th but even more annoying is that I am back to SR A! Most of these over the last 2 days has been track limits. I guess my mini break has got me out of sorts.

Determined to get my SR back up I went back into race B but with the Supra. I may stay here this week. Started P2 in my B/A lobby. Lap 1 and the leader Cod's himself granting me the lead. I trade split seconds with P2. However they muck up the COD at one point and I am now a few seconds clear of P2 and bring home my first win in a while.
20210705_200132.jpg

A good result for my new set up. Also the CRB got me back into SR S but only just. CRB in A is worth 6 points.

I always enjoy the Greddy Fugu and while I was skeptical it would be a good race car and combo at the short Suzuka loop, I was wrong! It's a REALLY fun race... enjoyed a few 'ok 1 more's this afternoon after originally just planning to dip my toe in. That car is so fun to race, it's like a wilder version of that M3 last week... get ahead of it and you can really pull time and track on people.

Had fun seeing @BenRod out there (of course!) and a few other regulars. Mostly good clean racing, too, and if it didn't look like it would stay clean, usually easy to avoid it and clear it behind you when you know what to expect.

Back