"Daily" Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by 05XR8, May 6, 2019.

1. JoeyLeonine

JoeyLeonine

aaahhhh damn you and your fine motor control. I tend to lead with full lock or no lock.

bdubclub, Invisigoth and Pigems like this.
  2. BallPtPenTheif

BallPtPenTheif

It's definitely doing something. Without CSA my steering movement is twitchy due to the thumbstick like it was in GT6. It's easy to work around, I just make sure I balance the car before the turn in point and not try to finesse the angle at the last second. With the CSA on, I can enter a turn with the car out of balance and I'll just lose some speed as the system softens my input to balance the car. With CSA off, you can occasionally get into a weight juggling fight with the car where it keeps snapping and throwing weight left and right in the middle of a turn.

JoeyLeonine and Pigems like this.
  3. MaxAttack

MaxAttack

That's more of a fact of life that we sensible souls without hundreds of disposable pounds to spend on a couple of seconds per track, just have to live with.

Done my fair deal of sliding around Suzuka, etc. CSA makes a serious difference in how direct the response is compared to input. CSA allows huge errors in either direction, under or over correcting, and seems to spit out uber quick corrections, compared to an assist like TCS, which definitely makes control easier, but definitely sacrifices exit speed compared to those who can keep the tail in check, makes an argument for this assist being more of an exploit.

BallPtPenTheif and Pigems like this.
  4. ASH32

ASH32

CSA can (and sometimes is) also be exploited by those annoying drivers who like to throw it down the inside using the grass as they won't lose control with it on, also if someone with it on starts pushing other cars about there is a good chance the CSA user will end up better off as they are far less likely to lose control.

Basically CSA in race is a bigger advantage than it is in Q. Even ASM can improve lap times in FF cars so I'm not sure why both are suddenly allowed again when the FIA events ban them.

I wish they would just allow or ban them in both modes, this inconsistency annoys me more than anything.

CrimsonKing, watto79 and Pigems like this.
  5. Tea_Leaves

Tea_Leaves

That's pretty lame. A more leveled playing field should be encouraged rather than not.

I personally won't be enabling CSA again on my Gr.2s and 3s, it would feel like I'm regressing and I've since become used to driving without it. It makes handling feel more artificial which kind of impacts the fun and immersion for me.

6. JoeyLeonine

JoeyLeonine

I tend to just run a -BB and risk the understeer. Then it's a case of coasting and throttle feathering to get it around the corners.

I realise this does limit my lap times considerably. But this way at least I'm generally always pointing in the right direction.

To be quicker I'd need to change my driving style, but that's going to be an organic process that takes as long as it takes!

As an experiment - I will turn everything off tonight for a bash at QTT (I won't race like that, that'll ruin it for everyone!) and just see what happens...

Pigems likes this.
  7. ASH32

ASH32

Yes I've used it in the past and you have to drive differently with it to go fast, like running maximum rear bias. When I stopped using it I almost had to completely learn the game again, so I wouldn't recommend switching back and forth and they could always ban it again too, who knows.

Pigems, Tea_Leaves and JoeyLeonine like this.
  8. MaxAttack

MaxAttack

Remember these golden rules:

always brake in a straight line, except when braking with your hand

you always look better going around a corner behind someone than inside their bodywork

understeer is where you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is where you get laid after the race

There is no problem that can not be solved with more speed and power

these are all very real and legit mantras that will help you

JohnEB, F1LMFan, Taxrik and 4 others like this.
  9. NevilleNobody

NevilleNobody

What a weird night. Entered race C as DR B, but I have enough point for DR A, my SR was too low though. Other drivers were B, C and D DR. I figured i was the number 1 rated driver but wore bib 3.

Qualified poorly, i am usually within 3.5%, I was over 6% as i hate the track and the cars are tricky with a D-pad (I know i know).

I finish a boring 2nd and boom, SR climbs like crazy but I gain some 1500 DR points. How? Not complaining i just don't see how, I was the 3rd highest ranked player, at least, if not first. Anyways, finished the night as a DR A for the first time :)

10. JoeyLeonine

JoeyLeonine

Ah Clarkson, nice to meet you!

11. MaxAttack

MaxAttack

I am like Clarkson but slimmer, better hair, less public scandals. Pretty similar though. B I G. P O W E R

Pigems and JoeyLeonine like this.
  12. sturk0167

sturk0167

@Sven Jurgens The guy in the Peugeot VGT is the one who didn't know why I was mad at him, last night. Whether right or wrong, I lose my :censored: when someone blocks me on a straight when it's clear that I've got a run on them. I lost my cool and went a little overboard. I probably should've just him once.

I guess I don't need to tell you what happened next. :irked:

Last edited: May 14, 2019 at 5:13 PM
  13. breeminator

breeminator

I think many people assume other drivers have more competence than they actually do. I use the double cones as a reference for braking - I don't brake at them, I memorise how much earlier or later than them I need to brake. If there's some other memorable feature, I'll use that as a reference instead. I looked at the bit you mentioned, and the single cones simply weren't part of my thinking at all. The change of line looks very small to me, and is just a feature of my level of skill combined with the F1 not being super stable under braking. I'm more or less heading in a straight line past the first apex, trying to judge when to stop braking and when to turn in. I, and most other people who play the game, am not skilled enough to do it perfectly every time, or even to do it the same every time.

I remember one of Kie25's streams, I think it was Gr.2 at Suzuka, where he was behind another driver and was saying "what on earth is he doing, he keeps braking in weird places". His viewers had to explain to him that the other driver simply isn't as skilled as he is.

14. Pigems

Pigems

Bro, you just need to learn the triple deke and you’ll be Flyin past those guys. ;)

morfastmadboy and sturk0167 like this.
  15. JoeyLeonine

JoeyLeonine

Without any further context it looks like just pulled back into the slip stream of the guy who just drafted him. My guess is he didn't look behind or have a clue you were there.

Of course, if he was a :censored: for all the rest of the race then that's different.

Schalkehelmi and Pigems like this.
  16. gtpierre

gtpierre

My bad, i misinterpreted the video. I was mostly just referring to the minor line change. Although minor, it can easily lead to a race ruined for the other guy. In this case it ended fine because the Aston did not lose control, but with 2 wheels outside of the "clean" part of the track, you can lose a lot of braking grip and end up in the sand.
    This grip difference between the actual road and the side is really important to know on this track, you can't have 3 cars braking side by side before the chicane without having 1 or 2 of them ending up in the tyres or in the sand.

I also have the feeling it acts as passing in the grass, full grip takes 5/10s to come back after you put your tyres on it.

Pigems likes this.
  17. breeminator

breeminator

Re alt accounts, when I started playing the game I took a fairly dim view of alt accounts, but having created one myself, I totally understand why people do it. The way the game works, when you are at your "correct" DR you should be starting, on average, around the middle of the grid, and finishing around where you start. This only stops being true when you're around 75k and can consistently qualify towards the front of the top split.

Now, that would be fine if races were ghosted. But the way the game works, if you keep starting in the middle of the field and try to race as best you can, and all the people around you do the same, you're going to have some races that are DR and SR disasters. Autopolis Gr.4 was just too often complete carnage due to the slipstream effect meaning you ended up with like 9 cars trying to negotiate a series of tight corners 3 abreast on lap 1. It was causing me to not want to race. Unless I'd set a QT that I thought would place me in the top 3, I didn't want to actually race. So I spent all week qualifying and never racing. You can't permanently outqualify your DR, start up front, and stay ahead of the carnage, because your DR will always catch up to put you in the middle of the field.

So, with the alt account, I'm not specifically looking to have a low DR and/or SR, but I'm just more relaxed about racing. I'm not doing the "don't qualify, start last" thing, as I agree, that is going to keep your DR artificially low, and isn't fair on other people. My DR is already only 5.5k below my main account. But I'm happy to reach my correct DR with the alt account, start in the middle of the field and have some disasters. Those disaster races won't stress me out and make me want to stop racing like they would on my main account. Maybe it's mostly psychological, maybe I should just have the same outlook with my main account. But from how upset I see people getting about racing incidents, I'd say most people aren't able to take that relaxed view with their main account.

DelboyD, JoeyLeonine and Pigems like this.
  18. sturk0167

sturk0167

He started on the pole. He knows what's going on. He was probably just unhappy to have fallen to 3rd, and it was about to be 4th. However, I acknowledge that there may be another perspective. At the time, I was only considering my perspective.

Upon further viewing, he went too far left to be just pulling into the slipstream. He meant to do it.

Last edited: May 14, 2019 at 4:32 PM
  19. Dairyworker

Dairyworker

Had 5 enjoyable A races this morning, lost about 1k dr points but have had some great battles. Starting to feel like i got the combo figuered out, she is still a tough ride though. Got a 59.9 in race so i went to try and finaly get a qualifying lap under a minute and managed to do this...

1557847172291953318770.jpg

Now i am gonna be chasing a 58 all week. I seriously didn't expect to get much below a 59.9.

20. JoeyLeonine

JoeyLeonine

I guess it depends what you want out of the game. If you are trying to be the best of the best and using the stats to back that up then I understand that being wiped out and losing DR through no fault of your own is gonna be super frustrating.

But if you want fun and enjoyment, but with little acknowledgement to your successess major or minor then just chill out and drive and take what happens. I realised a couple of weeks ago worrying about my stats was causing more issues for me that the actual racing itself.

And to some extent this is where community comes in. I will be spamming the life out of this thread with screenshots for affirmation when I get a win. But I'm now no longer bothered if I stay at DR1.

QC YALUM, F1LMFan, ASH32 and 4 others like this.
  21. SpaceMaN47y0

SpaceMaN47y0

Thats the level up bonus. It does it to keep people from being right on the edge and going up or down every race. When you lose a level you lose an additional 1500 as well. Thank @Sven Jurgens , he explained it to me.

22. NevilleNobody

NevilleNobody

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i see. Wondered what happened, it was a slow room and at MOST i beat one guy with more points than me, at absolute most.

23. Bivittavus88

Bivittavus88

Quick question for the DR:B EMEA drivers.

What sort of lap times are getting the top grid positions for Race B? I'm definitely not fast enough at 4:05.xxx. But, work is about as busy as a Dodo breeding project. So, I'm off home early for a few hours of practice.

24. Invisigoth

Invisigoth

Holy frick! I just had to wade through over 100 posts, most of it pointless screed about driver assists. It's part of the game. Wether you choose to use it or not is up to you, so suck it up princess and get over yourselves!

Did some Race C's last week and was finding myself starting somewhere in the last 5 positions. Started off 2:25/6 in the 'vette, then 2:25 in the Viper (a few tenths faster), 2:23 in the M3 (my fav for the race), and 2:22 with Herbie. I think I crept up to starting P10. Long story short, SR blue for every race, DR kept dropping till I hit DR 1 :crazy:.

Tonight I went in with the R8 at the circus. Two races. I ran some qualifying last night, but my thumb was screaming, so no race. Last nights times caught me by surprise. First race had me at the top of the DR/Ds in P6 with DR/As and Bs above me. Second race had me starting P4 with a DR/A on pole and the rest DR/D. Both races I was the only R8 :eek:.

Went in tonight without enough time to actually get used to the handling again, so that kinda sucked. Of course it didn't help that a couple of hours earlier I'd done 6 laps with the Red Bull Standard (saving for my next car). As already pointed out, that mid chicane start is a bit of a killer, but whatever :dopey:.

First race and penalties for both laps not getting Tertre Rouge right. First lap the Audi disappeared in a cloud of smoke as it turned 90 degrees to the track just before Indianapolis, became airborne, landed pointed in the right direction, but continued to slide sideways to come to a stop just before the wall :scared:. Not the fastest way around a corner :lol:. Managed to loose places at Porsche as I managed to find the sand at the entry on both laps. 4 penalties Finished P10 with a blue SR. No idea what the Dr was, but I'm guessing no change to 1.

Jumped strait in to a second race. Got a 0.5s penalty at Tertre Rouge again, but that was the only one for this race. I managed to keep it together and had some enjoyable racing with the guy in P2, 3 and 5. Even made some nice clean passes, but I kinda feel they let me past.. They knew they would catch up again with some of my conservative cornering. Had some nice respectful side by side moments. I was on the inside of one corner and had to slow to a crawl so I didn't knock the guy on the outside off.

I managed to get the entry to Porsche on the track this time, and found I was faster through that section than the others I was against. Re-passed both laps there. In the end I finished P3 with a bit of a buzz. :dopey:

SR blue, DR went up to 984 :eek:. Day 1 above DR 1 :dopey:.

25. JoeyLeonine

JoeyLeonine

@Invisigoth I do feel that I empathise with you most of all on here. I was about to ask where abouts in the world you are, but perhaps us racing door to door would just be too attritional for the game to cope...

Pigems likes this.
  26. Sven Jurgens

Sven Jurgens

I had one of those this morning. Every time I made a pass he would cut me off or bump / squeeze me to the wall. So each time I simply tapped the wall and added to his penalty time. He was at 12 seconds after 4 of his hits before the penalty zone at Arnage stopped him. That got rid of him. I had a blue C after the race, he had a red E.

NosOsH, Tea_Leaves, Kwame and 4 others like this.
  27. breeminator

breeminator

If you're hovering around DR 1, then your main account is going to be the same as a higher rated driver's alt account, in that if you ask yourself "what is the worst that can happen", the answer is basically nothing, nothing bad at all can happen. But for people at the 60k+ level, there are many people who say it's pointless racing the daily races because there's no upside, only downsides. This is why YouTubers such as Kie25 and F4H SuperGT have alt accounts for doing daily races, as they don't want to risk having a DR/SR disaster before an FIA race. Someone like TRL Lightning doesn't need an alt account because he's so good that the worst that can happen to him is he needs to do a few races where he qualifies first and drives away from the top split field, and bam, he's back at 75k. I'm nowhere near their standard, but it felt hard enough to get to where my main account is that I didn't like how each race was feeling like a potential disaster.

I have to say, though, that this week's Gr.3 Le Mans really isn't that bad, it's much better than Gr.4 Autopolis was 2 weeks ago, the field doesn't get compressed the same way. IMO they should have had larger starting gaps for Gr.4 Autopolis, to allow for the compression effect of the slipstream combined with the two straights before the first tight bit.

Pigems likes this.
  28. Loverson

Loverson

Depends which split and as well the time people race.
    I don't race this much so my progress is really slow and since i barely win, it doesn't get much.
    Monday, the best time i've seen in a Dr.B lobby was around 3:57 for 1st place (added the person and he improved on 56).
    Mine is 3:58.xxx which can improve.
    Kinda varies since in B, you can have those flying laps and still perform horribly in a race :lol:

Pigems likes this.
  29. breeminator

breeminator

I'm at 4:01 with a ~12k DR and that's not pole, I think there was a high 3:58 on pole in one of my races.

Pigems likes this.
  30. Pigems

Pigems

I suck at doing that, even at my low DR now it doesn’t work very often for me. Prime example here in my last east, guys bumps me off track after I respected him before hand and he doesn’t even get ANY penalty for it??

He finished with a Blue C somehow?

Schalkehelmi and sturk0167 like this.