"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
Whoa. Not used to being able to go full-throttle through so many of these Le Mans turns.

I've been doing practice laps, and learning the car. The limits of that car appear to be beyond my abilities.
So far, my best lap in time trial mode would put me about 4 1/2 seconds behind the top qualifier. :lol:

Me too. The red rear tires in autodrive is a warning. :lol:

It was in GT6 (and I think 5 too). No reason they couldn't bring it back to GT7. I'd actually forgotten about it. Despite it being an oval, I never did race it much...
There is a reason... Indy has just announced a new IndyCar series game made by the people who did NASCAR Heat so there's no way we are getting a licensed IMS in GT or Forza while that license is parked at this other company for the next five years. Shame, too.

The model in Forza is nice but it was a little screwed up that there were cones on the track and no way to simulate a real 500 race, with 33 cars, etc. It was like a tease. And the one in GT before was sort of the same.

I'd like to think the new officially commissioned IndyCar game will be high quality but I'm not holding out hope. (Said as he pre-orders it the day it's made available).

There is a reason... Indy has just announced a new IndyCar series game made by the people who did NASCAR Heat so there's no way we are getting a licensed IMS in GT or Forza while that license is parked at this other company for the next five years. Shame, too.

The model in Forza is nice but it was a little screwed up that there were cones on the track and no way to simulate a real 500 race, with 33 cars, etc. It was like a tease. And the one in GT before was sort of the same.

I'd like to think the new officially commissioned IndyCar game will be high quality but I'm not holding out hope. (Said as he pre-orders it the day it's made available).
Oh yeah I hadn't thought about the implications of there being an official IndyCar game in the works...
Still, GT made what's basically a 4/5th-scale Pocono with BMB and a near-clone of Bristol with Northern Isle. No reason they can't do it for Indy...

Even more than an oval, I'd love to have High Speed Ring back, as well as Midfield and Deep Forest.

Last edited:
Doing better on C, just won one from 2nd on the grid. Still well slower than the fast guy and not great, but making about 2 secs in the last section by taking some of it flat out and I know I'm still losing time there. It all about stability and bottle, nice to do these kind of races but still not my favourite.

Ok, early 3am my time Monday morning i went and qualified so so for the A race and I was P17 at the start, It was a mess with the only penalties issued were the hitting the barrier type and 1.5 seconds each, never mind everyone punting and shoving each other aside and not gently either, no penalties for those infractions of colliding with other cars. I will have to forgo any further racing on THAT track for it is nothing but a hi-speed pinball machine.

Ok, early 3am my time Monday morning i went and qualified so so for the A race and I was P17 at the start,
That's impressive as there are only 12 starters.

Hmm, jumped on race B first due to timings. Used my Vantage. I found free practice to be an ice rink. Just could not find any grip. Due to this my meagre qualy time was good for 16th. Or well 15th as there was a disconnect. Grip in the race was better. There was a genuine mix of cars which was great to see. My grunt helped me here. I made a thread the needle pass out of Juncao lap 1. Everyone else span off at some point. Crossed the line 7th for a great result.

Race A is just a no go. Took me 5 goes to set a clean lap. Just looking at the barrier the wrong way gives you a 1.5 second penalty. I do not know how people are getting those lap times cleanly. In the race however you can do what you want. Graze the barrier. Nothing. Completely unfair to have a different penalty sensitivity between sessions. Unfortunately lap 1 I lost the back end coming up the hill and smashed into the end of the pit barrier. 4 seconds for that mind! After that I was DFL and though I caught up with the guy ahead I could not get past at this track.

I like the look of Race C. Started 10th so not a bad qualy time. Thanks to spinners I was up to 6th by the end of lap 1. I held station once a Belgian got past me. However lap 3 and I had a wiggle coming out of the 2nd Mulsanne chicane. I lost my gap behind. A Spaniard followed me to Arnage. Then I get punted into the sand. Of course I get reset and then my tyres are of course not happy and I spin again. Getting back around the right way kills my tyres. At Corvette my car hates it again and I am spat out into the barrier. Back to 12th now. I am as cautious as I dare to keep the gap behind but other than a couple of twitches I keep it facing the right way. So a decent 7th turned to 12th. It's my fault ultimately but I was helped into obscurity by the Spaniard. Of course no apology so I sent him a message he'll no doubt ignore. First bit of bad driving I've encountered in a while.

Btw, penalties are off but SR downs are vicious. There are going to be plenty of resets this week.
Racing from the back with a fast car early monday morning is a bad idea. My SR is down the drain, and then it's even worse with the low DR/SR combo that PD but me in. After 4 races I was low SR.A with 3 podiums.

But doing the last sector almost flat out is enough to keep me racing there.

Being self-conscious about your racing may never go away, just means you're a decent human being. I've done nearly 500 races in GT Sport and only have about 15 wins and an A DR (just barely @ 34k but still counts...). I could have a ton more wins if I felt like being super aggressive or shoving people off track, but I care about what my fellow racers think of me and I can tell you it goes a long way. When you get comfortable at your level you will see the same racers over and over again and you should care about what they think. If you repsect them and they repsect you it will be a lot better racing and you most likely won't get intentionally punted often. It's a give and take when you group with the same guys over and over again - if I dont have the pace I'll give up a spot to someone coming up fast, and believe it or not, they will do the same for you at times if they just don't have it for some reason.

With that said, to move up you will have to be aggressive when it suits you and can be done safely and within reason. You can't always just sit back, especially when you get openings or the guy in front is just not pushing hard enough. Likewise, if someone intentionally punts you and you catch them, return the favor so they know you're not an easy target. It is extremely rare that I will do it since I generally give racers the benefit of the doubt and always think "maybe they just missed their braking point", but if it happens again they're gone. Overall, you are 100% right to be a conscious racer, but dont be an easy target and if you have the pace by all means be aggressive by making hard, clean passes and pull away.
excellent advice....

Sport mode is just about unplayable under the current “penalty” system
Hang in there. The combination of no penalties and not showing SR downs means there's going to be a much bigger differentiation between SR levels.

In Race C it is very easy to lose SR and very hard to get it back. 1 race full of incidental contact will drop you to low A and it takes at least 4 clean races to get back to SR99. The bully boys are in for a rude shock.

BTW, does anybody know what a CRB in race B is worth?

Last edited:
Whoa. Not used to being able to go full-throttle through so many of these Le Mans turns.

I've been doing practice laps, and learning the car. The limits of that car appear to be beyond my abilities.
So far, my best lap in time trial mode would put me about 4 1/2 seconds behind the top qualifier. :lol:

You can brake really late into the chicanes down the straight as well. I'm assuming you are doing a 22-23 for lap time which is plenty fast enough really if you can put 5 clean laps together

I wonder why PD is doing these undocumented changes. Removing the penalty system…now making SR downs more painful. I wonder what the endgame is…

I played on 2 different accounts today. Lost 4500 DR on my euro alt. My US alt has stayed somewhat consistent but I’m getting knocked around by the colorful flags. I hope this latest rendition of SR downs is to get everyone where they should be SR-wise….then they put a stringent penalty system back

I thought I'd try out race C and I cannot for the life of me get control of the car. I've been trying slowly get in the throttle once the car is straight, but I still like to jam the go fast pedal way too early. Then factor in tire wear plus other drivers who may not know what they are doing and I'm looking at disaster. I'll do some more practice tomorrow, but I'm not liking my odds of racing this week.

I did not /cannot see it like you say because I've NOT been racing as many years as you. It's not a thing about stats, it's how It feels to be the rookie with little to no experience in online racing, always worrying about making a fool of oneself on the track in front of you veterans, or worse be shown on YouTube as a "idiot driver"
Yes, I may be "ahead of the curve" as you say but I still feel intimidated and self conscious about how I race, not to be aggressive and fight in the turns, not to hit back when bumped shoved punted off track, stuff like that.
Never fear about being a YT "idiot". Remember, this just happened to me a few weeks ago:

While I also made this last corner pass to win:

And let's not even talk about the Gr. 2 race where I went from penalized into 13th place to win that race. :D

I thought I'd try out race C and I cannot for the life of me get control of the car. I've been trying slowly get in the throttle once the car is straight, but I still like to jam the go fast pedal way too early. Then factor in tire wear plus other drivers who may not know what they are doing and I'm looking at disaster. I'll do some more practice tomorrow, but I'm not liking my odds of racing this week.

The top hot lapppers show what the cars are capable of. It requires trust that the car will turn when you are on the full throttle in spots you would normally brake. You can try an experiment. At Tertre Rouge, lift and brake... and you will probably run wide. Then take it flat out and you may succeed. There is some physics weirdness where braking causes you to lose more downforce than speed. When running flat you maintain enough downforce to make the corner. The physics guys are laughing at me but that is how I make sense of it.

Some tips:
  • turn on TCS to 2 or 3.
  • turn on automatic transmission.
  • practice gradual to full to gradual braking and then transition to throttle
  • use a continuous sweep to full throttle.
  • BB moved forward ( I have not tried it but I trust those who have recommended it),
  • watch one or two of the top lappers.

The first two bullets are important. It will free your mind from the less important stuff. It will allow you to concentrate on high downforce braking points and full throttle turns. Reintroduce gears and lower TCS settings later... on not.

A final piece of advice... practice a lap without using full braking. You will need full braking but partial braking will show you the "feel" and you will find some corners are better without 100% braking. It helps save the tires too.

1626758498811.png

Last edited:
The top hot lapppers show what the cars are capable of. It requires trust that the car will turn when you are on the full throttle in spots you would normally brake. You can try an experiment. At Tertre Rouge, lift and brake... and you will probably run wide. Then take it flat out and you may succeed. There is some physics weirdness where braking causes you to lose more downforce than speed. When running flat you maintain enough downforce to make the corner. The physics guys are laughing at me but that is how I make sense of it.

Some tips:
  • turn on TCS to 2 or 3.
  • turn on automatic transmission.
  • practice gradual to full to gradual braking and then transition to throttle
  • use a continuous sweep to full throttle.
  • BB moved forward ( I have not tried it but I trust those who have recommended it),
  • watch one or two of the top lappers.

The first two bullets are important. It will free your mind from the less important stuff. It will allow you to concentrate on high downforce braking points and full throttle turns. Reintroduce gears and lower TCS settings later... on not.

A final piece of advice... practice a lap without using full braking. You will need full braking but partial braking will show you the "feel" and you will find some corners are better without 100% braking. It helps save the tires too.

View attachment 1068653
Great post. I think your take on the physics is correct. Braking for Tertre Rouge (or anywhere) in these cars shifts weight over the front axle which works against the downforce and causes (relative) understeer. You will find that virtually every corner is much easier if you are off the brake while turning. For me the best example is the final chicane. If you try and brake all the way to the apex you wont turn, but a short stab to take off speed and then lift off and the car rotates beautifully. These cars are a strange, but kind of cool, beast.

The only point I might question is the auto transmission. I'm not sure how the auto reacts in these cars but there are some turns where holding a higher gear makes the car a lot more stable. (The right hander before Tertre Rouge for example). The auto may work against this.

Grinder like crazy in my NA alt today. Went from 14k to almost 23k. Idk if it’s cause I got my Q down to a low 1:31…or the “new” SR down system is starting to work. But the racing got a lot cleaner as the night wore on. And as the pairings in the the NA region got slimmer, the lobbies ended up being DR A/B splits.

I only have like 4 GT3 cars on this account, and 2 of them suck. Was trying to use the RCZ, but that thing is just soulless. Kept going back to the WRX. Started the day with no money in the bank, but now I got enough to buy another gr.3 car. Might give the Supra a go as it seems to be one of the Meta’s. I know I got a mid-high 1:30 in me, but I just need to put together a complete lap….and a little luck would help

Last edited:
Great post. I think your take on the physics is correct. Braking for Tertre Rouge (or anywhere) in these cars shifts weight over the front axle which works against the downforce and causes (relative) understeer. You will find that virtually every corner is much easier if you are off the brake while turning. For me the best example is the final chicane. If you try and brake all the way to the apex you wont turn, but a short stab to take off speed and then lift off and the car rotates beautifully. These cars are a strange, but kind of cool, beast.

The only point I might question is the auto transmission. I'm not sure how the auto reacts in these cars but there are some turns where holding a higher gear makes the car a lot more stable. (The right hander before Tertre Rouge for example). The auto may work against this.
I'm thinking there may be a bit of an attempt to implement the blown diffuser that Adrian newey used on the red bull F1 car into the game on this car.

Le Mans this week so far has certainly been a mixed bag.

Done 5 races now with 2 4ths, 1 8th 2 victories (bringing my tally up to 19) and 1 pole.

Definitely going to do the early AM slots in the Asia Pacific region before I go to work, as although the DR points will be low with smaller grids, having the space to test and learn the car is a bonus.

Sport mode is just about unplayable under the current “penalty” system
Speaking of current penalty system, I had ran the Gr.4 at RBR Saturday and in the final standings I see that I acquired a 1 sec penalty. I changed tires mid race as required, didn't hit anyone, did not get any track limit violations. So I ask this, can I get penalty for not giving way when I get Blue Flag Warning?

I'm thinking there may be a bit of an attempt to implement the blown diffuser that Adrian newey used on the red bull F1 car into the game on this car.

It is supposed to have fan assisted downforce according to Wikipedia. That explains the very weird low speed downforce.

Speaking of current penalty system, I had ran the Gr.4 at RBR Saturday and in the final standings I see that I acquired a 1 sec penalty. I changed tires mid race as required, didn't hit anyone, did not get any track limit violations. So I ask this, can I get penalty for not giving way when I get Blue Flag Warning?
If it only appeared in the post race screen and not during the race, it may have been an off-track penalty on the final corner that didn't have time to flash on your screen before the finish line.

------

I'll be passing on this week - Tokyo and the X2019 are both nos, and I'd get absolutely blown away at interlagos - I'm not great there and everyone and their dog will be doing that race becuase of what the other two are.

Back