"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
So bee on out for a few rounds. First couple of races weren't too bad. Made some of my own mistakes, but nothing crazy. Then I have a race where I'm knocked wide by someone and into a pack playing bumper cars. Bye bye SR.

The dirty lobbies are something else. If you can get away then by the end of the first half a lap you have space to drive and possibly race some cleaner people up with you. Or you get the troll who punted me turn 1. Then when I caught up did it again from even further back, and ran me off into the sand when that didnt work. Then when I caught them the third time they started swerve blocking and brake checking. Instantly left the lobby at the end of the race, so they know they are scum.

I am getting a better handle on the car, but any spins and it becomes a matter of surviving on fried rear tires.

Was nice to see @pennanton out there, but I drove like a hot mess that race so he didnt see much of me

Last edited:
So bee on out for a few rounds. First couple of races weren't too bad. Made some of my own mistakes, but nothing crazy. Then I have a race where I'm knocked wide by someone and into a pack playing bumper cars. Bye bye SR.

The dirty lobbies are something else. If you can get away then by the end of the first half a lap you have space to drive and possibly race some cleaner people up with you. Or you get the troll who punted me turn 1. Then when I caught up did it again from even further back, and ran me off into the sand when that didnt work. Then when I caught them the third time they started swerve blocking and brake checking. Instantly left the lobby at the end of the race, so they know they are scum.

I am getting a better handle on the car, but any spins and it becomes a matter of surviving on fried rear tires.

Was nice to see @pennanton out there, but I drove like a hot mess that race so he didnt see much of me

Indonesian flag by any chance? Had a look at your race line ups. There are 2 known trolls in that lot. One of them with an Indonesian flag did the same to me yesterday.

I always find Interlagos Group 3 fascinating because f the variety of cars that can be used. I tried the Supra, Genesis, Beetle, Merc,, Ford GT, 911 and the Aston. Got them all down to at least a 31.6. I feel like the Ford GT has huge potential, it has the top end grunt and the handling but is far easier to control than the Supra (no idea how you guys drive that thing).

In the end the Aston felt best though, ran a 31.3 and there is a sub 31 in it for me. I do like power here, before the Aston was nerfed but before it was meta for a while, I was often the only one running it and would just swallow up 911's on both straights.

Finally got my internet fixed so I can do dailies again without running to any problem.

So let's see.....

Race B - I can't seem to get any groove on for Interlagos so not gonna bother doing a race.

Race C - The X2019 seems to hate me for some reason but likely to due how I approach the car so which means I'm gonna need some practice in driving the car more so Race C is out of the picture.

With two dailies where I'm not feeling it, it boils down to just me doing Daily Race A for this week and I'm alright with it since I never got to do a daily around the track that much and the car too.

I did only two races for today because I had to do something urgent but here are my thoughts.

First session - I wasn't prepared as to how sensitive the wall penalties are but I still made sure that I wouldn't hit a wall. Started P2 and then while I was keeping the pole sitter in check and just waiting for the right opportunity to strike, I did a slight tap onto the wall and it gave me a 1.5 sec penalty. From there my race was ruined and was gonna settle for P2 until the dude in third in his yellow S2K decided it was a good idea to squeeze me in like the penultimate corner and again I got a 1.5 second penalty due to hitting the barrier which it annoyed me even more but I kept my cool and just tried to finish the race in a podium place and I managed to get a P3 finish. Not bad but at least it made me aware as to how sensitive the wall penalties are.

Second session - So now that I'm aware of how sensitive the wall penalties are, I was very cautious as to how I approach the corners. Started again on P2 with the same pole sitter and I was given a good duel for 1st. This video shows the duel I had with the pole sitter.

Indonesian flag by any chance? Had a look at your race line ups. There are 2 known trolls in that lot. One of them with an Indonesian flag did the same to me yesterday.
Who is the player? I might keep an eye on it when I do those dailies in my alt.

Not because I think it's the best or anything, most others were built after and improved on the concept. It is the most well known.

Also today I learned there's a Dayton Speedway, in Dayton Ohio. I wonder how many people showed up there by accident? :lol:
- there WAS a Dayton Speedway -

I doubt anybody showed up by accident since it was notorious for extremely dangerous accidents. I live about 8 miles southeast of the site. There was some talk about 15 years ago of trying to revive the track. Unfortunately, there was an oncoming recession.
Luckily, there are two kick-ass places relatively nearby if you want to see some kick-ass circle track action.
Kil-Kare Raceway is about 20 miles east in Xenia and features a 3/8 oval and an amazing dragstrip.
And of course, about 50 miles northwest of Dayton is the Big E. Let me tell you, if you ever get a chance to go to Eldora, do not pass it up. The place is off the hook! The wife and I have been there 6 or 7 times and we took our 10yr old son to see the SRX race a month ago for his first time going to any kind of racetrack. He was blown away.

As for ovals in GT, I was way ahead of PD in the odd shape department (i.e. BroadBean). I published 6 weird "ovals" in the TPE experimenting with different shapes using specific geometry and radius, the most impressive being what I considered my masterpiece...
"Megaspeed International"

1626784223681.jpeg

Drew this in Photoshop and plopped it into the editor on the flat map, then worked the scale to make it 3.1 miles - almost exactly 5000 meters, full banking and properly curbed, designed so the NASCAR could lap it under 1:00 and easily maintain 200mph in the big turns. The pit was a compromise being outside since there was no good way at all to do it, and I really wish we could've had walls in the editor - if you went off track it was grass.

Anyway... long post so back on topic :
Daily A
What the hell is with the wall penalties?
I watched multiple players, sometimes lagging badly, appear to hit every wall possible... nothing.
I graze the right wall in the uphill esses making one tiny spark that sets off the ridiculous TRACK LIMIT EXPLOSION of 1.5 seconds.
SMH
(I did also win 5 times yesterday ;) )

- there WAS a Dayton Speedway -

I doubt anybody showed up by accident since it was notorious for extremely dangerous accidents. I live about 8 miles southeast of the site. There was some talk about 15 years ago of trying to revive the track. Unfortunately, there was an oncoming recession.
Luckily, there are two kick-ass places relatively nearby if you want to see some kick-ass circle track action.
Kil-Kare Raceway is about 20 miles east in Xenia and features a 3/8 oval and an amazing dragstrip.
And of course, about 50 miles northwest of Dayton is the Big E. Let me tell you, if you ever get a chance to go to Eldora, do not pass it up. The place is off the hook! The wife and I have been there 6 or 7 times and we took our 10yr old son to see the SRX race a month ago for his first time going to any kind of racetrack. He was blown away.

As for ovals in GT, I was way ahead of PD in the odd shape department (i.e. BroadBean). I published 6 weird "ovals" in the TPE experimenting with different shapes using specific geometry and radius, the most impressive being what I considered my masterpiece...
"Megaspeed International"

View attachment 1068702
Drew this in Photoshop and plopped it into the editor on the flat map, then worked the scale to make it 3.1 miles - almost exactly 5000 meters, full banking and properly curbed, designed so the NASCAR could lap it under 1:00 and easily maintain 200mph in the big turns. The pit was a compromise being outside since there was no good way at all to do it, and I really wish we could've had walls in the editor - if you went off track it was grass.

Anyway... long post so back on topic :
Daily A
What the hell is with the wall penalties?
I watched multiple players, sometimes lagging badly, appear to hit every wall possible... nothing.
I graze the right wall in the uphill esses making one tiny spark that sets off the ridiculous TRACK LIMIT EXPLOSION of 1.5 seconds.
SMH
(I did also win 5 times yesterday ;) )
Awesome post.

Similarly I learned there was a track near here called Langley Speedway. Not to be confused with the better known Langley Speedway in Virginia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langley_Speedway_(British_Columbia)

Hanging with the big boys at Le Mans

View attachment 1068704

I am loving this race. The driver in 1st has a qualy time in the 3:13s and did sub 18s on all 4 flying laps and I have never been within sight of the guy in 3rd for so long.

Exhilarating.
Earlier the day the 1st place guy had a time of 3:15s. A few hours later it was cut down to 3:13s. I started behind him at one race and he just left me alone in second place in an over 8-11s gap. I sticked with 2 TCS to make the car bearable in the first sector and BB -1 to preserve the rears.

Still couldn't catch up but it was still better than spinning around like my first attempt.

Earlier the day the 1st place guy had a time of 3:15s. A few hours later it was cut down to 3:13s. I started behind him at one race and he just left me alone in second place in an over 8-11s gap. I sticked with 2 TCS to make the car bearable in the first sector and BB -1 to preserve the rears.

Still couldn't catch up but it was still better than spinning around like my first attempt.

1st and 2nd both have top 10 qualy times. I have no idea how anyone gets around this track under 3:15, let alone a 3:13. I thought my 3:19.1xx was flying until I stumbled on this grid. I started 6th.

I’m running with BB -3 and no TCS.

I tried a race C yesterday and failed bad.

First thing I'm going to do today is practice standing starts so I'm better prepared when I get respawned (after bumped off) in the middle of LeMans at a complete stand still in front of cars going full speed. :grumpy:

1st and 2nd both have top 10 qualy times. I have no idea how anyone gets around this track under 3:15, let alone a 3:13. I thought my 3:19.1xx was flying until I stumbled on this grid. I started 6th.

I’m running with BB -3 and no TCS.
I too thought that my 3:17.8xx was enough to stay close to them. But at least I would stay out of trouble from the midfield.

Tried a Race C this morning. And it went much better. Started/finished 6th. Managed to stay on the road.

Very mixed grid. DR A+ to DR C. Somehow I raced 3 laps with a 10 second gap in front and back. Felt like driving on the highway more than a race.

Used the Beetle for my second race of the week. Was on to go .4 faster than my RSR time, but I entered the final turn too slow.
Started P4. Had an RSR behind and a Supra ahead.

P2 Genesis messed up the final turn and took itself out. Stayed with the Supra until the RSR divebombed and brushes me out the way. Kept my cool and as the RSR made the move in the Supra, Supra ran it wide(thanks for the pay back).

From there, I races the Supra hard. I even went side by side coming out of the Senna S. Backed off before the PZ so we could start catching the leader. Even though the Supra was loose each lap, it didn't block and I have it time to recover. We gapped the AMG GT behind, that ran the RSR wide at T4.

Finished behind the Supra riding its bumper to the line. Really one of those good vide races. Beetle is pretty damn quick and tight turning.

Post race, the Supra used the "That was some clean driving" prompt. I also posted "Thanks for the clean race". Good stuff.

Oh, the RSR finished near last with a 2 second penalty. God don't like ugly. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, the Supra was staying ahead with me in the slipstream. Fast car on the straights and more grunt out the bowl, on the run to the final 90° left-hand turn.

There actually is a blown diffuser-ish crackle off throttle sound on these things. Not as prominent as the real thing though.
that's the wastegate on the turbo opening up, I think, and associated backfire of the fuel burning off in the headers and exhaust

The top hot lapppers show what the cars are capable of. It requires trust that the car will turn when you are on the full throttle in spots you would normally brake. You can try an experiment. At Tertre Rouge, lift and brake... and you will probably run wide. Then take it flat out and you may succeed. There is some physics weirdness where braking causes you to lose more downforce than speed. When running flat you maintain enough downforce to make the corner. The physics guys are laughing at me but that is how I make sense of it.

Some tips:
  • turn on TCS to 2 or 3.
  • turn on automatic transmission.
  • practice gradual to full to gradual braking and then transition to throttle
  • use a continuous sweep to full throttle.
  • BB moved forward ( I have not tried it but I trust those who have recommended it),
  • watch one or two of the top lappers.

The first two bullets are important. It will free your mind from the less important stuff. It will allow you to concentrate on high downforce braking points and full throttle turns. Reintroduce gears and lower TCS settings later... on not.

A final piece of advice... practice a lap without using full braking. You will need full braking but partial braking will show you the "feel" and you will find some corners are better without 100% braking. It helps save the tires too.

Ok, that's a lot to take in, but I understand what you are saying. The biggest think i need to fix is my throttle/break inputs are not smooth. And, as @D_Dragline mentioned, I'm not fully off of the brakes while turning. That is getting the car upset and making it hard to handle. Once those get sorted I can start getting my lap times down. My turning inputs also need to be smoother as that is contributing to the car getting loose. The other thing I need to do is trust the car to do it's thing with downforce in the flat out sections where I can. I just need to get comfortable with the car.

Other thoughts from in regards to everything:
  • I have been doing the Tetere Rouge turn at full speed. I need to get my entry angle better to avoid losing time/going wide.
  • TC is at 2, so no adjustments needed there.
  • I need to find my BB sweet spot. Only way to do that is try out at different levels.
  • I am in awe of the top 10 not lifting in the Porsche Curves, absolutely bananas to me. Again, my entry angle needs to be adjusted by me and trusting the car as mentioned above to get that done.
I know I won't fix everyhing in a day, but the more laps the do the better I can get. It's like that race C at St. Croix a few weeks ago, I went from knowing nothing about the track and cars to decent finishes by the end of the week.

I love Le Mans and I love the challenge of this weeks race. But keeping it clean and keeping my SR up is my biggest challenge for tonight. There aren't a whole lot of people doing this race so it gets pretty sketchy if anything goes wrong. And when I get knocked back in to packs of slower drivers the speed difference in this thing makes keeping it clean while getting around them is super hard. Everyone is braking in different places and at places I wouldnt. That and the occasional wreck you just can't avoid.

@D_Dragline no, it wasnt any Indonesian, although I did have trouble getting past one at one point due to the reasons mentioned above. I mostly had problems with 2 drivers from a similar color scheme country. The ethos taking over an unfortunate number of those players is that if the game doeant penalize it then it's a fair move. Not impressed, especially when they have the low DR armor meaning that punting me off and running me off and brake checking on the straights causes me to lose SR but they still leave with a shiny blue S. But those guys are in most races these days.

Most annoying thing I've been frustrated with is actually the track limit penalties. Not in the usual sense, but for getting them when you are running wide or missing a corner because you are slowing down and saving the car. I've already lost lots of time, got dirt on my tires and made the car very angry at me and been passed. At what point do I need the track limit penalty? But that's always been an issue, just rearing its ugly little head more with my usual problems in the Porsche curves.

Still having fun as even in my bad races I get clean laps to push and chase and really have a feeling of keeping the car on the edge.

Ok, that's a lot to take in, but I understand what you are saying. The biggest think i need to fix is my throttle/break inputs are not smooth. And, as @D_Dragline mentioned, I'm not fully off of the brakes while turning. That is getting the car upset and making it hard to handle. Once those get sorted I can start getting my lap times down. My turning inputs also need to be smoother as that is contributing to the car getting loose. The other thing I need to do is trust the car to do it's thing with downforce in the flat out sections where I can. I just need to get comfortable with the car.

Other thoughts from in regards to everything:
  • I have been doing the Tetere Rouge turn at full speed. I need to get my entry angle better to avoid losing time/going wide.
  • TC is at 2, so no adjustments needed there.
  • I need to find my BB sweet spot. Only way to do that is try out at different levels.
  • I am in awe of the top 10 not lifting in the Porsche Curves, absolutely bananas to me. Again, my entry angle needs to be adjusted by me and trusting the car as mentioned above to get that done.
I know I won't fix everyhing in a day, but the more laps the do the better I can get. It's like that race C at St. Croix a few weeks ago, I went from knowing nothing about the track and cars to decent finishes by the end of the week.
Turn on pylons for qualy if you haven't already. It will provide your turn-in references for Tertere Rouge and the Porsche curves. I am flat most of the times in the Porsche curves. I can sense when it is not going right and apply a very slight lift and managing to stay in 7th gear until 6th gear for the start of the little straight.

Stilva: It's like that race C at St. Croix a few weeks ago...

It is so cool to build on the experience of one combo to the next.

Last edited:
If it only appeared in the post race screen and not during the race, it may have been an off-track penalty on the final corner that didn't have time to flash on your screen before the finish line.

------

I'll be passing on this week - Tokyo and the X2019 are both nos, and I'd get absolutely blown away at interlagos - I'm not great there and everyone and their dog will be doing that race becuase of what the other two are.
Thank you

And I need to add this post to thank @ShiftingGears for the great race we had at race C last night. Proof you can have good close back and forth racing in these things and have fun :cheers:
This is my experience as well.

The nature of the cars, slipstream and this track can produce some really great racing. If you find someone who is patient enough to only pass in sensible areas, it's a real battle of race craft and ability to absorb pressure. I've had a couple of races where I traded places with another driver on the straights for 2 or 3 laps. Both of us understanding that it is better to simply drop in behind and wait for your turn to use the slip. The first time it came to an end because I got out of shape and lost slip. In the second, it became a battle of nerves as I sat behind on the last lap right through to Arnage before pouncing on the straight into the Porsche curves. The other guy pushed slightly too hard at du pont to try and set up the re-pass and got a limits penalty. Just awesome, clean, challenging racing.

Turn on pylons for qualy if you haven't already. It will provide your turn-in references for Tertere Rouge and the Porsche curves. I am flat most of the times in the Porsche curves. I can sense when it is not going right and apply a very slight lift and managing to stay in 7th gear until 6th gear for the start of the little straight.

Stilva: It's like that race C at St. Croix a few weeks ago...

It is so cool to build on the experience of one combo to the next.
I have the cones on all the time, I never turned them off when I was first starting. I have taken 1.4 seconds of my previous fast lap and am down to a 3:26.9XX which is a few seconds off from my target of anything 3:20.XXX, so that's a start. Once I can get a handle on the Porsche Curves I should be golden. I think it's just going to be trial and error until I can turn in on a consistent basis. There are a few corners I can improve upon, but I suspect those will work themselves out once I can get the speed up elsewhere.

Latest Posts

Back