"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
So, on a mission to repair SR and call it a night things worked out well. Both races I asked for people to be patient into turn 1, just until tires warmed up. And both races people were awesome and respectful about it. 2 CRB later and I'm happy as can be and watching trash movies to close out a Friday night. It is possible to get a CRB for race C this week, although only worth 10 SR

PS_App_20210723_085505.jpeg

The Dunlop Chicane is the only one where the penalties look random, in the race I give it more space but for qualifying you may as well take the risk, it's a quick restart.
I seem to recall a previous @Mistah_MCA lap guide for Le Mans, where he said you can avoid penalties there, by not touching the throttle or brake while you roll over the curbs.
At least, I think that's what he said. It was a couple months ago.

I seem to recall a previous @Mistah_MCA lap guide for Le Mans, where he said you can avoid penalties there, by not touching the throttle or brake while you roll over the curbs.
That sounds right - I remember people saying that when we had the manufacturers race there last season. I couldn't work out how to do it though, would always end up with a penalty if I crossed the curbs.

Had a fantastic battle at Lemans last night with a very clean and fast driver... what a fantastic combo this has been.

Started out 6th, after nudging my QT down to 3:18.0... still not even at my K' target! Got a good start and was racing for 5th place with this fellow, VRP_JOSEROOTS 🇵🇪 (who I have to say: hats off, great race). He made a few small track limits mistakes, keeping me in play early in the race.

I was eventually able to clear him and put some distance between us, both of us working forward until I was safely in 3rd place for the middle of the race. But then I made the slightest mistake on the final chicane, heading into the last lap, setting up an epic battle of nerves for the last lap with the same fellow:

We exchanged track limits penalties and enjoyed several drag races (games of chicken?!) on the long straights, having gotten too close to utilize the draft to pass, and neither wanting to concede the last opportunity to the other... I earned my track limits penalty with just the slightest cheat to the inside of the corner before Indianapolis, mostly afraid to make contact with the other guy, so I was really under pressure heading toward the Porsche curves.

But I knew that the penalty zone before the Ford chicanes was pretty forgiving, so I felt like if I 'licked the stamp and sent it' through Porsche with the lead, that I could hold this guy off for the podium that I really wanted to end the night with. So I was not going to back down! Was able to, even with a slight bobble on the last of the Porsche curves, and celebrated another podium in the top lobby in this incredibly fun and competitive Daily Race.

IMG_6035.JPG

Oh, and on the other side of the spectrum... while I've had some pretty good runs at Lemans, I did have that ~one~ race finally... got punted a bit from behind, then struggled in the aero wash behind some slower people that passed me as a result of that. TV turned off on me somewhere between Mulsanne and Indianapolis... how I survived that I'll never know, but hit 'option' to initiate auto-drive and prayed I was still on the track when I turned my tv on... but in the process of reaching for the remote, spilled my nearly full highball of whiskey that I keep on my rig's cupholder... all over the carpet. :ouch:

Got a double track limits penalty trying to recover, while I let that drink soak in the carpet, prioritizing my GTS DR over my nice finished basement carpet... and then looped it on the last lap, with worn out rear tires at Arnage, after over-driving for the rest of the race to try and get back into the top 10. Finished DFL in 14th, as three others had already rage quit I guess. This was my only negative experience in Race C all week, so I can live with it. But man! Anything that could have gone wrong, did. What a S---show that was! Glass tumbling, TV blacked out, me cursing at my fate... Was glad to end the night with another top 5 and the podium summarized above!

Last edited:
I've had fun with the Race C combo. Only did a few races but had a good mix of results. Wish I could get my time down a bit more but just getting a handle on the car was an accomplishment for me this week.

I feel like the track limits, once in a while it turns off, like on your best lap, to trick you into thinking you can make it the next time. :yuck:

It's simple. If you so much as look at a white line you get a penalty. Your opponent is allowed to cut to merry abandon and get away scott free.

I wouldn't worry. If they cared 1 jot they wouldn't be asshats.
What I was trying to get across is those bad drivers are steps below the status of asshats, asshats are too good of a name for them....

Yup, confirming this.
I think when I did the guide for the x2019, I didn't do this, as the x2019 isn't a big fan of curbs.

Race B is for idiots if you are below SR S…..bumper cars and maniacs….i dropped from DR A and SR S to B and B….now i will just hit every idiot the same as they do to me…couldnt care if i drop to E/E

Yup, confirming this.
I think when I did the guide for the x2019, I didn't do this, as the x2019 isn't a big fan of curbs.
I've found a lot of time on the curbs, but you have to be dead straight on the wheel when you exit, or yeah... I've also found that just a nibble of the curb is not good, but if you climb it, commit to it, and own it, it's actually not as bad.

Also, separate topic, but it's kind of funny, my Alt is edging up to 40k again... and higher than my main account. It's actually been cleaner and more consistent than my main... calling into question whether I need an Alt... but man, it's nice not worrying about it, and just jumping into races if I want to, without the fear. And I do, sometimes, even when I know I haven't practiced and am likely to shed DR if I race... which is most of the downslopes on the DR history. Where the Main account downslopes are really just performance as it happened.

Alt:
Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 6.45.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 6.49.38 PM.png

Main:
Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 6.47.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 6.49.01 PM.png

(the reset was from FIA event at Bathurst in the SF cars... complete disaster of a race)

Last edited:
Spent a couple hours today digging my Euro alt from the depths of the B’s, to slightly above 20K. All race B. It seems that the new “non-penalty-but-stringent-SR-down” system is at least half working. I started at B/Low-A and ended up at B/S. I must say, the racing got better. And I’m still at a low SR-S.

The scooby is still an unused weapon at interlagos. I don’t lose much at all on the main straight, and as long as you treat the car similar to a group 4 FF, it handles really well. FWIW, nothing can beat this rig out of a corner with its AWD…..plus, you can get on the cowbell super early out of corners as long as your dragging the brakes a tad and have the throttle open a tad to keep the motor spooled up.

Like I said, it’s like a gr.4 FF but even more forgiving

Last edited:
Spent a couple hours today digging my Euro alt from the depths of the B’s, to slightly above 20K. All race B. It seems that the new “non-penalty-but-stringent-SR-down” system is at least half working. I started at B/Low-A and ended up at B/S. I must say, the racing got better. And I’m still at a low SR-S.

The scooby is still an unused weapon at interlagos. I don’t lose much at all on the main straight, and as long as you treat the car similar to a group 4 FF, it handles really well. FWIW, nothing can beat this rig out of a corner with its AWD…..plus, you can get on the cowbell super early out of corners as long as your dragging the brakes a tad and have the throttle open a tad to keep the motor spooled up.

Like I said, it’s like a gr.4 FF but even more forgiving

Isn’t the Gr3 WRX FR?

What I learned from Daily Races this week...

...I learned that Camaros on an oval are a surprisingly tough act to follow.

...I learned that the Gr3 Dodge Viper is fun to drive, even with two cylinders tied behind its' back.

...I learned that the x2019 is a miracle of engineering, particularly since is it made entirely out of bees.

I spent an hour or so lapping the x2019 and managed a 3.15.6, first race I get pole and get away before binning it on lap 3 at terte rouge frying the tyres in the process finished 15th big doh! Won the second race by 10s.

You gonna slow down and let me catch up? That's a blistering time!

I felt really good about myself, and then came up against this guy…

I spent an hour or so lapping the x2019 and managed a 3.15.6, first race I get pole and get away before binning it on lap 3 at terte rouge frying the tyres in the process finished 15th big doh! Won the second race by 10s.

But, 2 races later and we are one win each after we took turns getting pushed off the track by some “overzealous” drivers.

It would be great to actually get a clear race against each other. I reckon our in-race pace is very similar.

Done the tertre rouge move a couple times myself now. The one time I dont understand is when it simply snapped hard right with no wiggle or anything whatsoever one race. The others have all been on marbles or with wiggles and things. Dont know that I'll be out racing tonight, I wanna try and figure out some serious hotlapping for once. Need to catch up to you fast guys

I would have gone again but I'm currently standing awkwardly trying to get rid of the cramp in my left foot @D_Dragline

I did go again. Seriously fast lobby. I was q5. Finished p5. My key observation is that a couple of the aliens are VERY aggressive if challenged by non-aliens. I got ditched into the sand twice. Once at Mulsanne and once at Indianapolis because I had the cheek to overtake an Alien on the straight leading up to them.

Done the tertre rouge move a couple times myself now. The one time I dont understand is when it simply snapped hard right with no wiggle or anything whatsoever one race. The others have all been on marbles or with wiggles and things. Dont know that I'll be out racing tonight, I wanna try and figure out some serious hotlapping for once. Need to catch up to you fast guys

It’s a tyre temperature thing in these cars. One minute you’re tootling along all in control and then they hit a certain temperature and you’re 90 degrees to your preferred position. It’s particularly dangerous into Tetre Rouge and with worn tyres through Porsche.

I did go again. Seriously fast lobby. I was q5. Finished p5. My key observation is that a couple of the aliens are VERY aggressive if challenged by non-aliens. I got ditched into the sand twice. Once at Mulsanne and once at Indianapolis because I had the cheek to overtake an Alien on the straight leading up to them.

It’s a tyre temperature thing in these cars. One minute you’re tootling along all in control and then they hit a certain temperature and you’re 90 degrees to your preferred position. It’s particularly dangerous into Tetre Rouge and with worn tyres through Porsche.
Went out to get some laps and see how much I could push to catch you. Ain't gonna happen. I can get speed out of the car, but cant put it all together for a whole lap. Dropped to a 17.6, but got an optimum down by your time. Worst was when I was on for a 16.8 and just spun exiting the ford chicane.

I'm done. Not worth pushing for more now. Time to call it a week.

Went out to get some laps and see how much I could push to catch you. Ain't gonna happen. I can get speed out of the car, but cant put it all together for a whole lap. Dropped to a 17.6, but got an optimum down by your time. Worst was when I was on for a 16.8 and just spun exiting the ford chicane.

I'm done. Not worth pushing for more now. Time to call it a week.

I would like it if this week never ends. For the first time ever, I feel competitive with the upper echelon of drivers. I’ve reached my highest DR (42.5k) and I can pretend that A+ is not out of reach.

Bathurst next week will bring this all crashing down and your regular place in front of me will be restored. But for the time being I’m going to revel in being almost competent.

Last edited:
Finally gave in and jumped in the RCZ for Race B, gave it a good 8-10 laps and managed a 1:31.0XX which was good enough to place me top 5 on very low DR A grids. That was a huge help and was met with mostly clean racing and good finishes. No wins, but DR is no longer tanking getting bounced around at the back of the grid.

I have a bit more in it, but a high 1:30 at best, just not great on this track. Still need to try the WRX and might give the Supra another go, looks like a lot of fast guys are making that car work. Doubt I can, but I have gotten used to that car after using it a few weeks ago @ Seaside II and doing well.

I'd say if you can't qualify near the top of the grid in Race B its a waste of time, too many bad/dirty drivers at the back. Might be different at other DR levels, but at the bottom of A you're pretty much guaranteed to get punted at the bottom half of the grid.

Have been running all manner of cars at Interlagos, running mid 32's most laps, with a best of 32.2. Just couldnt find more. Followed advice on here with the WRX and gave it a go. Wow, what a planted car, found half a second and dipped into the 31.9s.

Enjoy the fact I can brake much later

I would like it if this week never ends. For the first time ever, I feel competitive with the upper echelon of drivers. I’ve reached my highest DR (42.5k) and I can pretend that A+ is not out of reach.

Bathurst next week will bring this all crashing down and your regular place in front of me will be restored. But for the time being I’m going to revel in being almost competent.
Welcome to the cult of Lemons! We are glad to have you. My DR has almost always had big spikes when the track comes around as it seems that for some reason a majority of people can't deal with the place. For whatever reason it is. I'll take it. A very rewarding place to lap. Looking forward to seeing you out there in the Group C cars terrorizing to Normies in the hybrids next time Gr1 rolls around here.

You've definitely whipped my butt this week and that's a lap time I wouldnt have even thought of as possible to attempt if you hadn't made it. You have definitely made the most of it.

Welcome to the cult of Lemons! We are glad to have you. My DR has almost always had big spikes when the track comes around as it seems that for some reason a majority of people can't deal with the place. For whatever reason it is. I'll take it. A very rewarding place to lap. Looking forward to seeing you out there in the Group C cars terrorizing to Normies in the hybrids next time Gr1 rolls around here.

You've definitely whipped my butt this week and that's a lap time I wouldnt have even thought of as possible to attempt if you hadn't made it. You have definitely made the most of it.
Terrorising normies with the gr C cars is just the best fun

Isn’t the Gr3 WRX FR?
I thought all Gr. 3 cars were RWD. What they handle like was a mixed bag. I personal love running Gr. 3 because the cars seem to be looser feeling. Many of my favorite Gr. 4 cars won't rotate like I need them to. But the 3s do.
Wow u are a smart one, can u do anything else besides insulting me to be stupid without even knowing me ? Whats wrong in your life ?
On a more constructive note, while many people here live with an "eye for an eye" mentality, I advise not making your profile in game all about revenge. I've ridden the SR/DR roller coaster too much to live eye for an eye. I feel like I'm better than my ratings suggest.

It’s funny you say this, the other great weeks I’ve had have been Group 1 at Le Mans no chicane and Groups 4 and 3 at Monza. These tracks just feel really natural for me. I’m quietly hopeful about next week too. I’m not absolute top level at Bathurst, but I’m usually competitive with A rated players.

Latest Posts

Back