"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
In Race C, using DS4 with auto box I can’t control the car without at least TCS 2. Is anyone with a similar set up able to break 1:32?

I was also wondering what settings for sensitivity etc folk were using. Reading downward, I’m currently using 3,1,7 for Gr2 cars.

In Race C, using DS4 with auto box I can’t control the car without at least TCS 2. Is anyone with a similar set up able to break 1:32?

I was also wondering what settings for sensitivity etc folk were using. Reading downward, I’m currently using 3,1,7 for Gr2 cars.
The only setting that matters on DS4 is controller sensitivity which I've been told to have on 7
I've managed a 30.2 on DS4, though I do use manual and have TC off

Turning the blinkers (hazard lights) on for a couple seconds is more the accepted "I'm sorry" signal. Flashing headlights is more considered to be an "Eff you" signal.

I'm glad I did another race, much better (only got punted to the moon once). I finished 2nd with fastest lap, good time for a break.
It would be nice if at least the street cars had horns in the races. I'd use it all the time. :lol:

I use the D-pad man, old school tapper tapper tapper :) I am in the 31's, if i get it all together can do a 31.2. Sensitivity 7. With TC2 don't mash the throttle, i tap it with the X button to make sure she doesn't bog down or the TC really hurts exits. 'tis tricky.

if i get desperate i will play with TC all lap, so TC2 on the 2 tight turns, otherwise TC0 to avoid losing time through sweeping corners.

Last edited:
if i get desperate i will play with TC all lap, so TC2 on the 2 tight turns, otherwise TC0 to avoid losing time through sweeping corners.
No need to increase your workload. TCS 1 has no effect in the turns.
Just go between 2 & 1. It will drive exactly the same, and you will be tapping a little less.

Really? So then, guess my next question would be why wouldn't everyone use TC1 instead of TC0?
I completely agree. All it does is help your tires with forward-bite, when going straight.
There's absolutely no reason not to use TCS 1, in every car.
Either people have a misconception about what it does, or they just think that using TCS 0 all the time makes them a badass. :lol:

I completely agree. All it does is help your tires with forward-bite, when going straight.
There's absolutely no reason not to use TCS 1, in every car.
Either people have a misconception about what it does, or they just think that using TCS 0 all the time makes them a badass. :lol:
Somewhat true, but I've found instances where I'm sure the TCS1 is slowing me on low speed exits where I want a tiny bit of tire slip. Especially in lesser powered cars, where the added power higher in the power band might be compensating for the lost at the tire patch... but that's just my feel and opinion. You also lose that 'feel' at the limit with TCS1... at BMB infield course, first turn complex for example, in the Miata racers... you can actually lose it at speed because the limit is masked by the TCS, happened to me in an FIA once when I had the TCS on my mistake. I didn't know what hit me.

But from a physics standpoint, it is possible that some tire slip can actually be faster than none in a straight line... and if the TCS is clipping the throttle (which I believe the GTS model does) as opposed to applying brakes, all the more likely.

(also: usual disclaimer that I know I'm sharing with people that are in fact faster than me!)

Last edited:
Somewhat true, but I've found instances where I'm sure the TCS1 is slowing me on low speed exits where I want a tiny bit of tire slip. Especially in lesser powered cars, where the added power higher in the power band might be compensating for the lost at the tire patch... but that's just my feel and opinion. You also lose that 'feel' at the limit with TCS1... at BMB infield course, first turn complex for example, in the Miata racers... you can actually lose it at speed because the limit is masked by the TCS, happened to me in an FIA once when I had the TCS on my mistake. I didn't know what hit me.

But from a physics standpoint, it is possible that some tire slip can actually be faster than none in a straight line... and if the TCS is clipping the throttle (which I believe the GTS model does) as opposed to applying brakes, all the more likely.

(also: usual disclaimer that I know I'm sharing with people that are in fact faster than me!)
Controller users can probably benefit more from TCS than pedal users. And X button more than R2. Due to the size of movements involved.

But it is all down to how aggressive one is on the gas. I'm not. TCS on/off doesn't make much difference to me. The TCS light does distract me so I keep it off.

It would be nice if at least the street cars had horns in the races. I'd use it all the time. :lol:
GT7 better have power windows and a button to flip the bird at other drivers!
TraxkDayR-flipping-the-bird-1024x576.jpg

It was remarkably clean this morning at race C with a lot of A+/S and A/S drivers in the room. (Clean for the state the game is in that is, contact free racing is a distant memory) Fun circuit when people behave and play it smart. I can't get under 1:32 in race, but use TCS 2 as I'll just be a hazard on the road without it.

Of course it didn't last. When I tried again in the afternoon there were 3 bad apples starting in the back with me. It was an epic fight, 2 quit, the 3rd (A/S) trailed one lap behind, probably worried about his ratings. It was satisfying to see others come together to make sure these three didn't get anywhere.

For the rest of the race I had a great close race with an Argentinian, swapping positions a couple times until I unfortunately tripped on a kerb and fell behind last lap. Clean racing with lag, very do-able when both keep a bit of a safety margin.

I totally understand wanting to have a bit more under-steer, at times.
But, I've been known to be a qualifying lunatic. Sometimes, I really get nuts with it.
When I'm searching for more time, I will try all brake settings, and usually TCS 0 through 2.
I can't recall any car/track combo where TCS 1 cost me time vs TCS 0.

I have no intent to proselytize on the matter. Just giving out some info.
Everybody, continue to do as you wish. :)

Last edited:
I feel it through Eau Rouge, even TC1 the car doesn't want to go to the right after I throw it left, TC off and she swings into line. I actually turn TC off exiting La Source then on again as I approach the end of kemmel.

I totally understand wanting to have a bit more under-steer, at times.
But, I've been known to be a qualifying lunatic. Sometimes, I really get nuts with it.
When I'm searching for more time, I will try all brake settings, and usually TCS 0 through 2.
I can't recall any car/track combo where TCS 1 cost me time vs TCS 0.

I have no intent to proselytize on the matter. Just giving out some info.
Everybody, continue to do as you wish. :)
Nah. Let's fight.

Rap battle. Because you use fancy words like proselytize. Not about TCS. :lol:

I had a great race in a B/S room until the last lap. The only dirty one in the room, an A/S driver. He ploughed through me and others in the last lap for DR I guess. He left with a red S (only one with red rating). What is it about low DR.A players that they can't behave on the track. Draft and bump cars out of the way.

Ha, I met him again later. Starting right behind him. I let him know in T2 my memory is in perfect order. Then next race we had a great clean close race. Funny how that works. I'm A/S now as well, so it fit my DR letter :ouch:

Last edited:
Two races for me tonight. One decent finish and one ruined by a few visits to Mr. Barry R.

Race 1 I start P9, and I survive the first corner ok with everyone pick up a few spots and continue. I run wide of the turn with the marshals as the brake marker and lose the few spots I gained. Proceed to miss my brake marker going into turn 1 on the next lap and go way deep and end up in P12 where I stayed almost the rest of the race. My only chance to move up is to hope that others get fighting with each other and cause a wreck. And it happens on the last lap! I was P11 at the time and P9 and P10 both collide on that uphill braking zone part, and I scoot on through. I then find myself side by side with the new P10 (who escaped the incident but was slowed down by it) going into the marshal breaking point turn, and I brake way short where as they run wide make the pass, and I finish P9.

Race 2 I start P7 and survive the first turn and end up in P6 for the first few laps. Some chaos on lap 3 when a driver dive bombed me on accident and I spun them out. Nothing I could do as it happened so quick. They apologized after the race so that was a pleasant surprise. Anyway, I’m right up behind P5 and I decide not to make any attempt to pass as not to ruin our races. Plus, we were gaining on P4 after the pit stops cycled through. I run too a bit too wide on the front stretch kink and visit one Mr. Barry R and I spin like a top but get it straight and only lose 2 spots thankfully. I run deep trying a few times to defend from P9 on the next lap and then get side by side with them going into the front stretch kink turn and they run me wide. Or so I thought until I looked at the replay. I gave them plenty of room on the inside line with me on the outside, but I went just a hair too wide. I saved it the best I could and keep going, but very upset. I also don’t realize at the time my tires are shot from my spin and the recovery attempt when I the wall the second time. So, I can’t make any moves or defend anything and finish P13.

Now, it’s terrible I smacked the wall in the first place, but it was my own fault. I was tying to pressure P5 and made a mistake, it happens. But to do it twice is frustrating. Especially when I had a decent race going. Oh, well, I’ll use this experience for the next set of races tomorrow. It’s a fun combo and It’s been good racing aside from my mistakes.

@Stilva Ah nice to see you on here! It might have been me that accidentally bombed you in that lap (SvennoJ, Ghibli themed car). I thought it was lap 2, maybe a different race. I didn't spin out, just drooped to the side in shame lol. It was a chaotic run up to that sharp right, T erm after the wobbly bits past the fast right hander that requires a little lift.

Great racing with you, fun combo indeed. It's hard to balance the pressure from behind with congestion in front in the first few laps. Brake a split second too early and you get bumped forward anyway, brake a split second too late and no where to go. Signalling the brake lights / tapping the brakes early sometimes helps. It's always a sigh of relief to get past those first couple laps.

I'll probably be around on the track again tomorrow. Fast cars, fast track, fun.

@Stilva Ah nice to see you on here! It might have been me that accidentally bombed you in that lap (SvennoJ, Ghibli themed car). I thought it was lap 2, maybe a different race. I didn't spin out, just drooped to the side in shame lol. It was a chaotic run up to that sharp right, T erm after the wobbly bits past the fast right hander that requires a little lift.

Great racing with you, fun combo indeed. It's hard to balance the pressure from behind with congestion in front in the first few laps. Brake a split second too early and you get bumped forward anyway, brake a split second too late and no where to go. Signalling the brake lights / tapping the brakes early sometimes helps. It's always a sigh of relief to get past those first couple laps.

I'll probably be around on the track again tomorrow. Fast cars, fast track, fun.
Strange that I haven't seen you in any races but I see Stilva from time to time. I tend to end my racing at 7 EST though and I've only done just over 300 races since I started in January. It looks like we're now roughly the same DR so hopefully we'll run into each other soon. I expect to see @FA_Hayes at some point, too, and also be eclipsed by him, as he puts up great quali times.

Oh, that was you! I didn't recognize the PSN, but remember that livery. That and I checked the replay to make sure. I do my recaps from what just happened so I might have mixed up some details as well. It's chaos like you said in the opening laps. But, once things spread out it's a good race.
Strange that I haven't seen you in any races but I see Stilva from time to time. I tend to end my racing at 7 EST though and I've only done just over 300 races since I started in January. It looks like we're now roughly the same DR so hopefully we'll run into each other soon. I expect to see @FA_Hayes at some point, too, and also be eclipsed by him, as he puts up great quali times.
Yeah, we have raced together a bunch of times But, I haven't seen you in a lobby in a while. It's always a good time to race with fellow GT Planet people.

I had a great race in a B/S room until the last lap. The only dirty one in the room, an A/S driver. He ploughed through me and others in the last lap for DR I guess. He left with a red S (only one with red rating). What is it about low DR.A players that they can't behave on the track. Draft and bump cars out of the way.

Ha, I met him again later. Starting right behind him. I let him know in T2 my memory is in perfect order. Then next race we had a great clean close race. Funny how that works. I'm A/S now as well, so it fit my DR letter :ouch:
This occurs in every game that has any kind of visible ranking system. Some people tie their sense of self worth to what rank they achieve in the game and ruin it for everyone else. There is no changing it so it's important to just resist ever becoming one of them. Of course, it sucks for the people who are clean and have their race ruined not even a minute into it.

I've been playing Insurgency: Sandstorm, a relatively hardcore tactical shooter and, as of now, there are no competitive modes, so no ranking system. It's a breath of fresh air to see how friendly the community is, aside from some post match trash talk (which is all good and to be expected, of course). Once the competitive modes come, which I will most certainly partake in, that will all change. Players will cheat, they'll blame their teammates, etc.

GT Sport could do away with visible ranking and it might help some, but not enough and, besides, I know I wouldn't like that. What's funny is that GT Sport doesn't even award little decals or paint chips for achieving certain ranks so it makes even less sense as to why people are so desperate for wins.

@Stilva yeah, I haven't been racing much. Contemplating this week's race but I know that as soon as a great combo pops up (I dream of Nurburgring GP Group 3 again), I'll be on it. A lack of penalties bothers me, too. Makes me really apprehensive.

Awe shucks. I'm really just a quali guy and in desperate need of better race pace, and a good mindset.

I will say switching to lobby practice has greatly improved my pace in this weeks C and running laps with some GTP members has been fun.

I ran two races no Q and it was horrible. Lobby was all A A+ and the top 3 slots were leaderboard drivers. 10 and below were frankly hacks who brake way too late and don't understand GR2 cars like to coast. I lost over 5k DR in two races!

So I set a 30.8 quali and hopefully I can chase the big boys and feel better losing to good drivers than some knuckle head knocking me around.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back