"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
Judging by the grids and what the forum is saying, I might have to grab the Scooby and grind out a qually lap tomorrow. I know I have some more speed left in me with the 458, but I struggle immensely in the stadium portion of the track and I’m just hemorrhaging time there. I think the WRX will be the magic elixir for that section
I'd have thought the 458 would be good through there as the WRX has sooooooooooooooooo much understeer. The two AWD cars do well because of the ability to fly over the final chicane. It's a challenging race though, a bit grindy tbh.

I'd have thought the 458 would be good through there as the WRX has sooooooooooooooooo much understeer. The two AWD cars do well because of the ability to fly over the final chicane. It's a challenging race though, a bit grindy tbh.
I’ve been driving the WRX and whilst it is a bit understeery (not a real word) you can be SO aggressive with it that it more than compensates. There isn’t a corner on the track you can’t throw it through. Even in the stadium section it’s so grippy that “better handling” cars don’t really make up time. At least that’s my experience. I suspect the EVO is similar as well given it’s dynamics and what I’ve observed in-race.

I’ve been driving the WRX and whilst it is a bit understeery (not a real word) you can be SO aggressive with it that it more than compensates. There isn’t a corner on the track you can’t throw it through. Even in the stadium section it’s so grippy that “better handling” cars don’t really make up time. At least that’s my experience. I suspect the EVO is similar as well given it’s dynamics and what I’ve observed in-race.
Which is why it suits me, always has. I make up time by using EVERY mm of road, i am AT so at times cannot rotate the car as it refuses to shift down, so cars i can THROW about i do well with, think WRX, AMG Merc Group 3 etc.

Look at this lap, ON THE EDGE MAN, ON THE EDGE.

The shifting issue is bad at NGP, the right hander after the stadium section, if she doesn't change down, turn in is atrocious, same for the right hander leading to the back straight.

Bleeding DR this week. Due to gaining last week I guess. I don't really understand it.

1 Race B today, my first Race B this week. It puts me on an all A/A+ grid, I was the only B. Started 9th/finished 12th. Survived.

Pretty bad matchmaking putting me in the middle of that grid.

I think my recommended KudosPrime time for Race A changed, possibly because more players had set times since I last glanced at my recommended time - it's now 0:56.628. But I've also set an even better time of 0:56.657, placing me within the top 150! I got to admit, I'm having quite a bit of fun in this car, and especially when racing against other players, as it becomes a matter of who can maintain control of the A110. Trust me, in my experience so far, tons of players lose control of it, insofar that losing your starting position becomes less of an issue, as you're quite likely to gain it back - and possibly more.

Would you also say this car is an excellent example of a car that exhibits lift-off oversteer? I'm inclined to believe so.

Last edited:
This has been the most consistently dirty Race C I have ever been a part of. Between last night and today I've done something like 10 of them? And the only one of them was anywhere close to clean racing and that's only because I was able to break away from the pack by lap 2. Even then the guy who finished ahead of me did some pretty hard push to passing to get by me - twice.

So, yeah. Race C.

I don't know why but I decided to try one more Race C today. These two clips sum up the entirety of the last two days for me. Clip 1 is the typical sector 1, although I somehow make it to the front by the end of it. Clip 2 is what happens when I think I've managed to form a breakaway.

Set my Race B qualifying time at a 2:09.076 with a 2:08.4XX optimum which is great considering this my first time at this track and car combo. I know where I'm losing some time, but I can't string that optimap lap together. Here's hoping I start towards the front when I jump into some races.

Tried a few Race B's last night with 2nd my best shout. Definitely the Vantage is the car for me, I always refuse to go Meta it's just boring I'll take a car I have a sentiment for over an extra win here at this stage of the game.

Saying that the 2nd place was really fighting off a GTR behind who was determined to shove me out of the way to get past meaning we both watched 1st sail off into the (beautiful) dusk.

Other races were top 5 but honestly if you get away from the pack behind, I'm pretty much dead on time with the cars in front so it can be an eventless 3 laps. Maybe I'll not put a new qualy and enjoy some pack racing later in the week.

Tried a Race A as well, jesus christ, Started 6th I think finished at the back but in amongst it, just chaos of a race. I really don't appreciate that level of unpredictability in the car I'm driving! I managed a 1:58 in race and then went to put it in qualy and got a low 1:59, just every lap the car reacts differently to the same inputs (it seems like anyway).

This has been the most consistently dirty Race C I have ever been a part of. Between last night and today I've done something like 10 of them? And the only one of them was anywhere close to clean racing and that's only because I was able to break away from the pack by lap 2. Even then the guy who finished ahead of me did some pretty hard push to passing to get by me - twice.
Yeah, both race C and B are like that this week.
Retirering my main from dailies now

Unfortunately in Gr4 cars, it's really hard to pass at N'Ring GP, I think because there is no hard braking except for the chicane. So people look for an opening, if you drive the racing line, and then nose into you to pass. When you are relatively close in pace, as tends to be the case in Gr4 races, that track doesn't really have many places where the speed differential is going to allow a clean pass. Too bad that people think it's ok, then, to just use the chrome horn or to wedge themselves under your car and the apex, to make a pass. Any defending of that and you lose the car in front of you. Because the racing line is so critical, and so many turns have as much as 0.5 sec difference between a good line and a bad one.... It costs me about 2 sec per lap to defend there. So you are left 100% defensive with no chance to move ahead when the guy behind you chooses to race like that... not fun racing.

Last edited:
Unfortunately in Gr4 cars, it's really hard to pass at N'Ring GP, I think because there is no hard braking except for the chicane. So people look for an opening, if you drive the racing line, and then nose into you to pass. When you are relatively close in pace, as tends to be the case in Gr4 races, that track doesn't really have many places where the speed differential is going to allow a clean pass. Too bad that people think it's ok, then, to just use the chrome horn or to wedge themselves under your car and the apex, to make a pass. Any defending of that and you lose the car in front of you. Because the racing line is so critical, and so many turns have as much as 0.5 sec difference between a good line and a bad one.... It costs me about 2 sec per lap to defend there. So you are left 100% defensive with no chance to move ahead when the guy behind you chooses to race like that... not fun racing.
Usually jump at the chance to race as many laps as the game will give in the daily's but just realising at one point I had 6 laps left to go there was so deflating. Give us a couple of laps of the nordschleife instead it would be so much more enjoyable and they haven't had that on in ages.

So, yeah. Race C.

I don't know why but I decided to try one more Race C today. These two clips sum up the entirety of the last two days for me. Clip 1 is the typical sector 1, although I somehow make it to the front by the end of it. Clip 2 is what happens when I think I've managed to form a breakaway.

This really annoys me. Sorry you had to put up with that! I have 2 clips of karma from that race..... clip 1 shows a driver try and spin me on the straight which ghosts him. That put me off and I missed the apex, no big deal, he then has a better run and manages to pit manoeuvre me from 1st to 12th on lap 2. Managed to recover to 3rd

Watched race back and clip 2 shows him try and pit manoeuvre the eventual winner cro-ferrari (who was very clean and fast, worthy winner). My friend comes off worse, spins himself and then quits . Good karma

But I wish there was bigger penalties or ways of reporting that had some weighting.

Clip 1 -
Clip 2 -

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it's tough at NGP, they should have used mediums because the understeer is just savage with hards, it is a bit joyless. Laps 7 through 9 I am REALLY slow, my mid corner speed, to make apexes, is horrible, i am being pushed off the road by accident I am so slow. I think AT is killing me here, she doesn't want to shift down and won't rotate until she does.

Did a few more race A last night, had a really good clean race with another driver for 5 of the 6 laps after he caught up but just couldn't find space for a ran move while I parked it on the inside a the time. Good hard clean sweaty racing. The next 2 were total chaos. P3 would send a massive dive into p2 on the first turn ad from there it was about wrestling with that car and managing the gap while the pack ate itself.

Love the challenge as even with a big lead you have to stay on top of it or the car will definitely come back to bite you. I got 1 wheel wide and lost nearly 3 seconds in 1 race but got lucky as the driver behind did a full rally drift through Druids to give me breathing room again.

Compared to the other races I really think this one is good. Especially as I really can't stand that soulless abomination of the Nurb GP.

Qualified for Race A on Monday, but raced for the first time today.. Started 2nd.. P1 coming out of druids and pulled out a 2 second gap behind. Great stuff. Then I forgot it was the short circuit and braked and turned left at Surtees 🙄

Had some other 'good'?? races there - generally getting punted off to near last place, but then negotiating the chaos and still managing 2nd or 3rd.

Race B is fun - finally a version of St Croix that seems to suit me.

I did 3 races tonight with 2 good results and the other being a victim of circumstances kind of beyond my control. I also got my qualifying time down to a 2:08.919. A little bit quicker, but I’m thrilled to hit a 2:08 in general. Hooray!

Race 1 I start P4 which is awesome as my qualifying time would put me way up front like I thought it would. The race was boring, and that’s a good thing. I got bumped a few times from behind others but not enough to disrupt my speed. I do manage to get to P3, but my smaller mistakes around the track add up and I finish P5. I did hit P4 during the turn before the bridge as I had the inside, but not the correct angle or speed. I didn’t pass them like a good driver, and I apologize afterwards.

Race 2 I’m down in P10 to start with a single A+ driver, and a few A drivers. One driver forgets to start so a free spot for me. I manage to keep my lines cleaner than race 1 and make passes as others get into each other and go off track all 3 laps. I would have finished P4, but I get dive-bombed and get pushed into the barrier on the final turn. I would expect more from an A rated driver, but after reading the stories here, I guess not. Still got a clean race bonus somehow.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20211020190149.jpg

Race 3. I start P9 but go up to P6 after some disconnects and one other driver leaving the race. This room was full of mainly A rank drivers, so I had to try my best. But, uh, yeah…

Yep. Nothing I could to really, I think. Just a sequence of events that sends me all over the place. After all that I’m P9. In my attempt to catch up in general, I see that P8 crashes on the front stretch and see the yellow flag warning. In my haste to make time, I get the 1 second off track penalty for cutting the final corner and that’s race over. I fall to P10 which thankfully softened the DR hit I received. I can make DR back, but I’m so stinking close to A rank and every point counts in my mind.

Despite the wreck in race 3, this combo is a lot of fun. I think you just need to wait, and others will take themselves out and easy position gains. Just hit your lines and have the race come to you if you will.

Ran a "C" race a few minutes ago. Started 7th, finished 5th. I made it up to 4th, but I ran wide at Turn 3 and got passed. I stayed with him pretty much, but he started to pull away as I was driving fairly aggressively and not braking early enough for some of the turns. I got passed again (down to 6th) by someone who was just plain faster than me. I managed to stay with them for the most part, but then I rain wide at Turn 6 on the final lap and they pulled away. The weird thing is, I was still in 6th at that point. But when I crossed the finish line and it up put up the list, I was in 5th. I guess someone ahead of me either rage quit or DC'd on the last lap. Rage quitting with only a couple turns to go would be funny. But getting DC'd would plain suck on the last lap. Either way, I gained another position. My DR is still "D", but at least it went up a bit (almost 900 points). I only had time for the 1 race, though. I'm off to bed (gotta get up at 4:00am, for work).

Yeah interesting night in race c, I feel I learned a lot about driving on used rubber in an understeery car. I really tried to stay focussed and brake at the right spot and not push too hard, as soon as you push too hard you bleed time badly. I still lose near half a second through the 1st right hander of sector 2 though, I just cannot get to the apex quickly enough.

All up this week I am up near 2k so once again this track agrees with me.

Spent some time on Race A. Like everyone has been saying, its a brutal combo. The field spreads very quickly because of how hard the car is to drive.

Paddock Hill Bend is the main challenge on this race. The braking zone isn't exactly a straight line, there feels like two differing amounts of camber halfway through the corner & the exit seems to be able to load the outside tires more than the car can handle. Not looking too hot with this car - natural enemy of the A110 and all.

My solution was to turn on TC for only this corner when pushing. Then, when you need to maintain a position, keep it on until you need more pace to fend the pursuing driver off (such as before they get into slipstream range or during a battle). If you can encourage the driver behind you to overdrive in order to reach you, that's one less person to worry about.

8152163006813340184_0.jpg
Its not exactly a race winning strategy, but it did pull me up 3 positions for a P3 finish when I didn't really want to be all that invested into the combo.

Race is running very good. I want to farm some wins and now I earned 5 out of nine races.
I underestimate the chicane mostly in first lap and go wide. At least I won two races after it. But it is a good one. I think I am able to reach 10 more wins through this weekend.

My comments were actually aimed at the Evo - the Gr.4 Evo handles like a tank until you get used to the understeer. The Viper, on the other hand, has brilliant turn-in and it's stable enough to push really hard through most corners. I usually run it at BB -1, just to give the front end a little more bite into the corners.
Ah. The AWD cars like understeer faster. The same high speed throttle modulation applies here. As for turn in, I prefer the brake bias as well. If you slide too much, the AWD helps to get you fixed back up.

There are a ton of cars that feel better than the awd cars but none get close on the stop watch. Only one I can get within a second is the Ferrari. The 86 feels amazing but like the group 3 m3, stop watch says NO.

I'm typically not worried with qualifying. If I am, I experiment until I'm happy. But, if I'm comfortable in race, I'll pressure until the driver ahead bobbles & I can make the pass. There have been several times where that happened & I smile wide. :D

Today's racing didn't bring any joy. Out of the 5 race B I did, only one where nobody tried to kill me. This is an absolute disaster, you start the race and hope you can race alone instead of engaging in a battle.

According to Kudos, today marks my 1 000th days where I raced online. So a couple of stats to recap the last 4 years

Races:4766( 4.7 / day )
Wins:574( 12% )
Poles:444( 9.3% )
Fastest Lap:682( 14.3% )
Top 5:2937( 61% )

Most raced tracks

1. Suzuka Cicuit282 races41 wins (15%)166 top5 (59%)27 poles
2. Autopolis Intenational280 races40 wins (14%)188 top5 (67%)32 poles
3. Nurburing GP246 races28 wins (11%)169 top5 (69%)22 poles

Best Win rato

1. Alsace Village II37%43 races total
2. Lago Maggiore East II33%12 races