"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
Well not much time to put into driving this week so I got myself a 2:12.2xx with 2:11.2xx as optimal on st-croix. Kudos time was 2:13.5 so happy with that.

Racing was pretty good, with one #2 win, and some top 5 finishes but I think I lost DR overall from getting punted right off to the back a few time.

I think PD turned off penalties to give us a taste of what penalty-less GT is like and is being all "told you so" behind the scenes. Just make every car a ghost or something ffs.

I have to admit I'm torn about the penalty environment right now.

On one hand, I enjoy that the meaningless contact stuff doesn't mess up my races any more.

On the other, yeah, people can still punt you without consequence.

But the prior consequences, in short races like Dailies, weren't really sufficient anyway.

So to me, it's almost better now, because the crap stuff is still gonna happen because those guys were doing it before, and still do. But at least now you don't also have to fight 'the system'. And: when you dish out paybacks, you don't suffer. Even if it's next race. ;)

I'm more or less of the opinion that it's been better with this 'no contact penalties' system.

I'm at 32%
Mine is 38%, but that is inflated by being time poor for ages and mainly only doing race A. I bought myself a wheel a few weeks ago (and am slowly getting back to a level I was at with the controller....) and am doing more of the longer races, where there is much more competition (but the price of getting punted is much worse....I dropped from A+ down to the top of B while re-learning and playing with settings....). I think realistically it will drop to around 25% or so by the time GT7 comes out.

I thought my 2m07.2 wasn't a bad lap for race B.....then I looked to find it wasn't even in the top 100!

Last edited:

On one hand, I enjoy that the meaningless contact stuff doesn't mess up my races any more.

But the prior consequences, in short races like Dailies, weren't really sufficient anyway.

So to me, it's almost better now, because the crap stuff is still gonna happen because those guys were doing it before, and still do. But at least now you don't also have to fight 'the system'. And: when you dish out paybacks, you don't suffer. Even if it's next race. ;)

I'm more or less of the opinion that it's been better with this 'no contact penalties' system.
And up in A this may be true, but for everyone else no penalties is just hell. I'm hardly playing now and it's obvious when I do play that the numbers are way down. I'm also not all that excited about GT7 now and won't be rushing out to get it. Yes you can still have good races and at some tracks it happens fairly often, but at most tracks you need to be right at the front to even have a snowballs chance in hell of getting a decent race. I've had 5 races this week apart from FIA and before this I would be doing at least that daily.

Ran a few "B" races. I ran the 1st one using the Beetle. I like that car and can drive it pretty well. For the rest of the races, I switched over to the R.S.01. I'd never driven it, before, so I didn't know what to expect. Holy crap is that thing fun to drive. I can throw it around and keep it under control even better than the Beetle. The gearing is WAY different than the Beetle, so I had to get used to that. But when I got going, I was putting in some decent lap times (for me). It may be my new GR.3 car for a while.

For the races, I started 15th and 11th, respectively, for the 1st 2. I finished 15th and 10th. For the 3rd race, I started 8th and finished 4th. I drove a bit more aggressively and didn't really give way like I normally would. I just kept on the throttle and stayed with the front group for just about all 3 laps. There was a time when someone ahead hit the wall on lap 1 and I slowed down to avoid them. I didn't need to, though, as they went ghost right as I got to them. I didn't know that would happen, but I wish I did. If i hadn't have slowed down, I MIGHT have finished on the podium. Oh well. It was still a fun race. I drove really well in it and only scraped a wall once. I didn't lose a position from it, so no worries on that. I did lose a couple positions when I slowed for the other car, though. However, I gained them back by the next lap. I was just behind and just ahead of a couple Porche RSRs at that point. I passed 1, and then he started battling with the 1 that was behind me. He lost that battle and lost another position to that other driver. I kept ahead of them and brought it home a good 1.5 seconds ahead of 5th place.

Did some races today. Some B races were ruined by rammers and impatient drivers divebombing at every single corner and pushing people wide. I also did a single race A, which was fun. Not sure what to expect from the upcoming week, with another racing hard only race C.

This was a fun fight for the win in race B, 3 of us going at it in different cars:

I find it impossible to believe that was a real Sport Mode race. There's not a punt, dive, or brake check in sight! Are you sure that's not just some well edited clips from multiple races stitched together to look like people race with respect and dignity in the daily races?? ;)

Last edited:
Win %age is a bit tricky, it all depends on how your SR has looked. Max has been planted on 99 for the most part so the 34% is remarkable. I am at about 10% but most are when my SR drops below 90.

And to be clear: it's less about any impact on the occasional vengeance situations and more about the ability to get on with the racing without the nonsense penalties.

The people who drive badly don't respond to the penalties anyway, so for me, it works better as it is now.

This was a fun fight for the win in race B, 3 of us going at it in different cars:

Do you use 3rd person camera in racing as well? I've been trying out different camera modes recently and been liking hood mode, but it can kind of obscure your view of the curb. Interested to hear your thoughts.

Do you use 3rd person camera in racing as well? I've been trying out different camera modes recently and been liking hood mode, but it can kind of obscure your view of the curb. Interested to hear your thoughts.
I always use chase cam, I like to see around the car so you can see where everybody else is. The fastest players seem to mostly use bumper cam or roof cam. Personal preference really.

Tried one Race A this morning. Started 4th/finished 8th.

Survived but it was pretty terrible. Similar to A last week, half the grid doesn't bother to adapt to the cars so the grid is a mix of some being careful and some completely out of control with no regard for others. There's 2 different races going on at the same time. :lol:

Why does my family feel the need to come talk to me and/or distract me when I'm racing? Not any other time, only when I'm racing. If I'm sitting here on the computer not really doing anything.....they leave me alone. But let me get into an online race where I need to concentrate, and they feel the need to come talk to me about something NOT important and want to ask questions or come in with the cat and talk to the cat and then tell the cat to get up on my desk so I'll pay attention to them.

I just had my best start ever.....2nd. Yet they came in and started trying to talk to me and crap while I having a back-and-forth with 1st place, who had a penalty to serve. I probably could've won my 2nd race, ever. Yet I had to quit because something much more important had to be done.....but not really.

🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬

Why does my family feel the need to come talk to me and/or distract me when I'm racing? Not any other time, only when I'm racing. If I'm sitting here on the computer not really doing anything.....they leave me alone. But let me get into an online race where I need to concentrate, and they feel the need to come talk to me about something NOT important and want to ask questions or come in with the cat and talk to the cat and then tell the cat to get up on my desk so I'll pay attention to them.

I just had my best start ever.....2nd. Yet they came in and started trying to talk to me and crap while I having a back-and-forth with 1st place, who had a penalty to serve. I probably could've won my 2nd race, ever. Yet I had to quit because something much more important had to be done.....but not really.

🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬
I just tell mine to bugger off.

About Race C...why is there a pitstop requirement...it's just a useless stop, you don't even have to change tires or refuel. It just feels...silly.

There's probably a market out there for a Gaming version of this.

th

Couples of Races A today. I'm in front of the field at the start (top 5), back of the field after Turn 1 and then the race start. Still manage to finish higher than my starting position which is nice. Only one time on pole and I finish 3rd after the mandatory Turn 1 chaos.

HOLY CRAP!!!

I got my 1st ever pole, my 2nd ever win, and my 2nd ever fastest lap.....all in the same race. I finished 6.173 seconds ahead of 2nd place. I was absolutely shocked when I saw the starting screen and I was at the top of the list. I honestly couldn't believe it. I drove like a mad man to get that qualifying time and I guess it actually paid off. It's not the best time, obviously; but it wasn't the worst, either. And please bear with me. I have to post a screenshot of it. I may never get another chance. I wish I'd saved the dang replay. But I was just so dang happy that I exited out too quick. I realized what I did as soon as I clicked on the "X" and left the screen. Oh well, I still have the image.

zaPl3XU.jpeg

Ran a couple more races. I started 3rd and 5th respectively. I finished 2nd in both. I had 2 penalties in the 1st of those 2 races that I served at the same time (2 .5 second penalties). But the guy in 3rd also got penalties at pretty much the same time I did, lol. So I never lost the position when I got it. The 2nd race I also had a penalty, but I knew it was coming. I cut the corner just a tiny bit coming through the chicane at the start. Plus, I did it on lap 1, lol. At the end of that lap, the 3rd place car got in my slipstream and was even with me going down the main straight. But he out-braked himself and wound up WAY off the track at the end of it. I made the turn and the chicane just fine after that and went on to take 2nd. Later in that lap, I got challenged by another driver, also in the Evo. He made it a good fight with some damn fine racing between us. I held my line going into turn 1 on the final lap and he ran just a little bit too wide. He didn't go off the track, so he didn't get a penalty. But it was enough for me to pull away a bit and keep the position. He got closer to me through the switchback section, as I was taking it a bit too easy through there so as not to screw up and go off track. But I held him off and we crossed the line less than .200 of a second apart. It was some good racing for the most part, today. I didn't see any pushing or bashing or anything like that. I wish it could always be like that, but I know it won't.

I'm proud of myself, though.....3 races, 3 podiums. Two 2nds, and 1 win.

I used to really not like that track. But after driving it so much and learning the proper line around it, I like it, now. Fuji? That track has to have the longest dang straight of any track I've ever raced on. Well, maybe not as long as Sarthe. But at least with that one there a couple chicanes and you're usually in high-speed cars that can do over 200mph on the straight. I just wish that when they use anything lower than GR.4 cars on Fuji they'd do it without that chicane at the end of the back straight (what they call the "Short" version). It's unnecessary, imo.

Last edited:
Using the Subaru for Race C and currently have a qualifying time of 1:23.168. I think I can get a 1:22.XXX once I can get better control of the car. I also need to learn to not hit the sausage curbs every lap. I swear, the car has a sausage curb magnet as I hit few each lap. Actually, I need to not cut my apexes so much on this track. Other tracks I can get away with it, but not this one. Some simple adjustments will fix that.

HOLY CRAP!!!

I got my 1st ever pole, my 2nd ever win, and my 2nd ever fastest lap.....all in the same race. I finished 6.173 seconds ahead of 2nd place. I was absolutely shocked when I saw the starting screen and I was at the top of the list. I honestly couldn't believe it. I drove like a mad man to get that qualifying time and I guess it actually paid off. It's not the best time, obviously; but it wasn't the worst, either. And please bear with me. I have to post a screenshot of it. I may never get another chance. I wish I'd saved the dang replay. But I was just so dang happy that I exited out too quick. I realized what I did as soon as I clicked on the "X" and left the screen. Oh well, I still have the image.
Congrats! Here's to many, many more!

Buffalo Bills GIF by EliteSportsTours

Why does my family feel the need to come talk to me and/or distract me when I'm racing? Not any other time, only when I'm racing. If I'm sitting here on the computer not really doing anything.....they leave me alone. But let me get into an online race where I need to concentrate, and they feel the need to come talk to me about something NOT important

🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬
My personal favorite from the wife is, "can you pause it". Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Predictable night at interlagos, pace is ok at a 1.37.6 but man it is rough out there, a lot of dives. The locals in particular with shove in from waaaaaaaaaay back at any corner.

Gonna be tough to get a good clean race i think.

I cannot get the rwd cars under 1.38, I just cant, they really are neutered in group 4. How anyone turns a lap in that Mazda is beyond me, no brakes, no steering and no power, absolutely baffled how it's the meta. Dreadful thing it is.

I just tell mine to bugger off.

About Race C...why is there a pitstop requirement...it's just a useless stop, you don't even have to change tires or refuel. It just feels...silly.
The pit stop in Race C is great. Since you can literally stop on any lap it means you can time it to best benefit your race. I'm getting a good advantage from it by avoiding congestion/battles/punters for as long as possible.

Predictable night at interlagos, pace is ok at a 1.37.6 but man it is rough out there, a lot of dives. The locals in particular with shove in from waaaaaaaaaay back at any corner.
Ended up mentioning it in the chat after which I very rarely do, I'm sure it just feeds to dirty drivers ego's in the end but I needed to express it. Shocking show, really really bad. I know it's first night of the week and everyone is on for the new tracks, but jesus, those dives into turn 1 and through the S, and then all those slow entries in the middle sector were a nightmare.

We really could do with stronger track limits if they're not going to bring back contact penalties cos I'm on the apex, so I dunno where that banging on my inside can be coming from cos it ain't the track.

🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬
I feel the same way. The problem of playing in front of a TV of the living room. That's why I do best at midnight when everyone's quiet.

I understand that many times they just want to socialize which I'm not really good at in. Anyways, when it's an important race when you're in a good position, perhaps tell them about it. I remember the frustration when my mom was unaware just went in front of the television mopping the floor.

Last edited:

🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬
It happens. I had to abandon a daily race the other night - as I crossed the start line my son woke up and started screaming the house down at 11pm, so I just threw it on autodrive, it timed out and I came second last (someone else must have D/C'd or rage quit before my connection timed out). I only get a chance to race when my wife has gone to bed and our baby is sleeping, but he's so flaky with his sleep duration I've barely had a daily race in weeks...

Last edited:
Back