Delayed April 2015

• Thread starter ChrisWAFC
  • 370 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure nothings official until its officially announced (but then again, I guess the same applies to the original November 2014 release date). However from the looks of it, you're probably right.

I just hope The Crew is better than Driveclub, otherwise it is back to GT6.

Edit: Found the press release:

Press Release
Slightly Mad Studios and BANDAI NAMCO Games Europe S.A.S today announced they will be moving the release of Project CARS for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC to March 20th 2015 in Europe and Australasia.

The move positions the title away from the competitive holiday scene dominated by household names while affording the team at Slightly Mad Studios additional time to extend and polish their ground-breaking and accomplished next-gen racing experience that’s been created alongside a community of over 85,000 racing fans and real-life professional drivers.

“Our goal has always been to deliver a landmark title that encompasses the wishes and desires of racing fans from all around the world; something with features and content powered by the community that provide a truly unforgettable and pioneering experience” said Ian Bell, Head of Studio at Slightly Mad Studios. “Whilst a tough decision to make, the change in release date allows the game the greatest chance of success and visibility, and the opportunity to polish the game even further to the high standards that both ourselves and our community demand and expect. We’re eager for you all to see what we’ve been working on in just a few months.”

This is very bad news. I had a feeling this would happen as the game doesn't seem ready, but they're excuse in the article of not wanting to release around other big titles is complete garbage. I'm sure i'll still buy but my most anticipated game getting delayed almost half of a year is hard to swallow. Big letdown.

The Crew is awful I got into the beta and if that's what your waiting for your better going back to Burnout Paradise.

mad.gif

may assetto corsa was better than they thought? They just don't want to compete in the biggest release month this gen.

Yes partly; it's a fact that GTA V will sell by the bucketload, taking a lot of the focus among gamers and in the press. Not the easiest spot for a new IP to be in.

i'm not so sure about that, it's been out for over a year and people who wanted to play have played it and bought it. Unless people really want a prettier version for MP, but SP will still be the same exact thing.

Only people who haven't are pc people who don't own consoles and that's delayed

AC has nothing to with it. While also a racing game, it's not going to hinder Project CARS. The two are quite different in scope and purpose, and PC sim racing enthusiasts will get both.

The reasons are explained in the Project CARS [Coming 2014] PC, PS4, Wii U, Xbox One -thread.

i was being sarcastic. Of course ac doesn't have anything to do with it...it's only on pc...if anything racing games related is FH2 and The crew

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes partly; it's a fact that GTA V will sell by the bucketload, taking a lot of the focus among gamers and in the press. Not the easiest spot for a new IP to be in.

I can understand the reasoning for the delay but I can't help but be disappointed as I was really looking forward to finally have a proper PlayStation sim racing game.

Maybe a 1 car/ 1 track demo on the consoles could help us proper racing deprived PS4 owners and give everyone else at least a taste. Even if it was only hotlapping for 4 months just to experience something of what's in store.

Last edited:
may assetto corsa was better than they thought? They just don't want to compete in the biggest release month this gen.

Maybe they were bribed by Kunos with a Ferrari licence, so that AC can make more sales when released and with DLC.

After the Driveclub debacle, and even the GT5 catastrophe, Im not so convinced anymore that a delay is a good thing.

Sounds to me like they just bit off way more then they could chew and are having a very tough time getting it all together. A delay could mean just a slightly less sloppy game at launch, like Driveclub and GT5, and thats all.

When I first found out this was true, I got all stroppy and wrote a big half ass'd comment of how upset I was about this blah blah blah
But after I calmed down, I remembered that Rome was not built in a day 💡

At the end of the day this can only mean positive things for us the gamers, because we get a more polished, improved finished product. Which as far as I can see is a positive thing? Rite? :)

You have my support Slight Mad, see you on the race track in March! 👍

Very happy about the decision! You might ask why and here's the reason, from my perspective.

Project Cars is a VERY special case for SMS and for me personally too (first time being involved in game development, even if it's just a little part), and what is now important is the big picture. Project Cars is not a cash cow for SMS and that can be seen in the heart of this decision. You might say it's stupid to move the date as SMS might lose money (holiday season and so on) here. The truth is that we don't know that and we will never know for sure. You can only try one or the other release date. It also depends on what time scale you think about it. Maybe they'll lose money in short term, but what about the long term??? ...but anyway - the money side is in my view irrelevant so I'll leave it here.

Since work for the Shift series started the truth is that the release of Project Cars will be the pinnacle point where all that insane amount of work has leaded, and IMO it is the moment in time that will be seen as THE biggest moment for SMS as an independent developer and publisher. The situation is so special that SMS is willing to risk possible money losses for the greater future. THAT is something I appreciate hugely and what I can see has been lacking in the gaming industry for years now (at least one the AAA side). They really want exactly the same as we, the virtual racers want - and now they have the freedom to do it. So let's give them the time they need to make it.

We all know the potential the sim has, as a complete game. As a complete racing game. As a simulation of the whole racing experience, not just the physics. That is something we rarely see anywhere. The call to make a very difficult decision for the sake of better, finished product from release, is something that seems very obvious to me and I'm really really thankful for Ian and the team to have the balls and the means to do it. SMS has (rightfully so) created very high expectations for pCars, and they honestly really want to meet them. And I respect that highly. Let's not go where the bar is much lower and the pay might be better but do the thing that is right. I can't be angry about that.

Project cars is already really good (in all fields), but it really deserves the chance to shine and give all it has when you finally get your hands on it. I know the delay might hurt now a little but as said, it is for the better. This is a new IP and if it starts well it will mean greater chance of it continuing for a long time. And believe me, if you like racing games, you really want Project Cars to succeed. Seeing the attitude and passion they have to create a game I've always wanted, daily for two years now, has been an amazing experience. And I wouldn't be posting a post this long if it wouldn't matter a lot to me. I've read many many posts by the devs about the possibilities in future and I am still drooling.

So the big picture is what we need to think here. We need to think a bit further into the future and from that perspective, to me the decision is the only right one. There is over 400 replies to the thread announcing the delay (the thread was posted yesterday) and I have not seen a single post disagreeing with the decision. It is the only wise thing to do, luckily the team made it possible.

Just hang in there.. and you'll be rewarded.

Last edited:
Well, I suppose I'll have more time to save up for the wheel/PS4 & game now, that's not such a bad thing.

A game developer making big promises, and then going completely silent on them & not explaining anything - that's a bad thing ;)

After the Driveclub debacle, and even the GT5 catastrophe, Im not so convinced anymore that a delay is a good thing.

Sounds to me like they just bit off way more then they could chew and are having a very tough time getting it all together. A delay could mean just a slightly less sloppy game at launch, like Driveclub and GT5, and thats all.

yeah but driveclub was delayed a year and look what happened lol

This I'm not so convinced about project cars anymore.

I remember gt5 delay I was disappointed but when it came out the game had a lot of bugs and issues after a years delay I wasn't happy I had to wait a year to find bugs in the game after. I think I'll be giving project cars a miss. I reckon there probably still will be problems with it on launch day.

If you think so. Or rather: If you desperately need to reckon something right now... Why not lay back, watch how it turns out and see how it goes? You guys have us WMD members answering your questions, so if we say "Its all börked!" come February, then you can still give it a miss.

Edit: You need to type faster, Myles! :D

The way to look at it is that if this was an EA game then it would be released now, in time for Christmas. They would not care about the reputation of the people actually making it and release a part finished product(Sounds familiar?).

SMS are trying to break free of the crap so they at least deserve a chance to prove it in March.

Here's hoping in the meanwhile, Sony will get with Fanatec and work a way to allow current wheels to work on PS4, could be a blessing in disguise.....for me.

PFFF....

So what you (SMS) are saying is, that you don't want people to buy your game during the holidays when they are busy buying other games too? For shame. I was planning on buying and playing both GTAV and PCars. If the game isn't ready, then just say it isn't ready. You've already delayed the game what 2 years now?

Jerome

PFFF....

So what you (SMS) are saying is, that you don't want people to buy your game during the holidays when they are busy buying other games too? For shame. I was planning on buying and playing both GTAV and PCars. If the game isn't ready, then just say it isn't ready. You've already delayed the game what 2 years now?

Jerome

How is it delayed 2 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back