Do you believe in God?

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 24,084 comments

Do you believe in god?

• Of course, without him nothing would exist!

Votes: 616 30.5%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 368 18.2%
  • No way!

Votes: 1,035 51.3%

• Total voters
Gonna watch the passion of the Christ for the first time when a question came to mind.

A serious question lets say aliens are real right then why did god send his son Christ to earth? God if real is the creator of everything right so that means the entire universe so why out of all the trillions of planets in the universe did god pick earth to send Christ? Are we the only life in the universe or is there more then one god?

Earlier in this thread I suggested the novelty that modern humans may have inherited the propensity for religious belief, particularly that related to the stars, from an earlier, larger and more robust species, the Denisova.

The sheer size of the finger, jawbone and teeth indicate a robust being over 7 feet tall....Their ancestry goes back much further than Homo Sapiens. May relate to Homo Heidelbergensis very large, robust hominid.

And requires assumptions about physiology that do not necessarily apply. You cannot extrapolate height from a single bone if you've never seen an example of what a full size skeleton looks like.

More recently I came across new research tending to confirm that at least the Denisova were significantly larger than the Neanderthal with whom they interbred.
Slon told National Geographic that tests conducted on Denisova 11’s nuclear DNA, which comes from both parents, showed a high level of diversity or heterozygosity in its genome – a sign that they were entirely different species of hominin. With the bone being found in Denisova Cave. That narrows the identity of the father down to a Denisovan. Based on the teeth, it appears the Denisovans were the bigger of the two species by a sizable margin, according to study co-author Svante Pääbo.

“They seem to have been very large and robust, even compared to Neanderthals. They were probably pretty impressive.”

ngnews-denisovan-hybrid-timeline_ai2html-desktop-medium.jpg

Human origins
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...van-neanderthal-hominin-hybrid-ancient-human/

In some of the most ancient literature preserved on scrolls, specifically including the Book of Enoch, it is said that modern humans learned of astronomy and other arts and technologies from earlier species of beings they called Watchers and Nephilim, some of whom were of giant stature.

Is it just barely possible the Neanderthal and Denisova, who now are known to have mated with modern humans, are thus preserved in story, myth and legend ?

A serious question lets say aliens are real right then why did god send his son Christ to earth? God if real is the creator of everything right so that means the entire universe so why out of all the trillions of planets in the universe did god pick earth to send Christ? Are we the only life in the universe or is there more then one god?

So aliens from Mars come down to Earth, and they're friendly! The leaders of the world and the aliens plan a huge televised event where the leaders can ask questions on whatever they want.

During this event, the pope is up to talk to the aliens.

"I know this question may sound odd to you gentlemen," the pope starts to ask, "but I was wondering if you and your kind knew about Jesus Christ?"

"Jesus Christ?!?" the alien leader exclaims, "How do we not! He swings by our planet every two years or so. Awesome guy!"

Now this obviously starts a huge debate within the UN, as this information now has implications to everything they knew. The pope, however, is not exactly a happy person as his brain is on other information.

"EVERY TWO YEARS OR SO?!?" The pope exclaims, "We've still been waiting for his SECOND coming!"

Trying to calm down the pope, the aliens say "Well maybe he didn't like your chocolate."

The pope, upon hearing this news, takes a few moments to calm down. When he finally regains his composure, he states calmly, "Forgive me, but what does chocolate have anything to do with this?"

The aliens respond, "Well when he was on our planet, we would give him huge boxes of chocolates. Why, what did you guys do when he was here?"

Thanks, reddit. :)

So aliens from Mars come down to Earth, and they're friendly! The leaders of the world and the aliens plan a huge televised event where the leaders can ask questions on whatever they want.

During this event, the pope is up to talk to the aliens.

"I know this question may sound odd to you gentlemen," the pope starts to ask, "but I was wondering if you and your kind knew about Jesus Christ?"

"Jesus Christ?!?" the alien leader exclaims, "How do we not! He swings by our planet every two years or so. Awesome guy!"

Now this obviously starts a huge debate within the UN, as this information now has implications to everything they knew. The pope, however, is not exactly a happy person as his brain is on other information.

"EVERY TWO YEARS OR SO?!?" The pope exclaims, "We've still been waiting for his SECOND coming!"

Trying to calm down the pope, the aliens say "Well maybe he didn't like your chocolate."

The pope, upon hearing this news, takes a few moments to calm down. When he finally regains his composure, he states calmly, "Forgive me, but what does chocolate have anything to do with this?"

The aliens respond, "Well when he was on our planet, we would give him huge boxes of chocolates. Why, what did you guys do when he was here?"

Thanks, reddit. :)
Well my question wasn't about aliens but more about god being the creator of it all then that also means life on other planets, so with trillions of other planets out there why earth? are we more special to god then life on another planet 300 million light years away?

A serious question lets say aliens are real right then why did god send his son Christ to earth?
This assumes that god is real and only sent his son to one planet. Not seeing the connection with the aliens here.
God if real is the creator of everything right so that means the entire universe so why out of all the trillions of planets in the universe did god pick earth to send Christ?
Is god real and did he only send his son to one planet? If either of those can be answered "no" or "I don't know", the question becomes irrelevant.
Are we the only life in the universe or is there more then one god?
This is phrased as either/or, but the options aren't mutually exclusive. Nor are they the only options. Nor is the existence of aliens somehow intertwined with the existence of a deity.

I'm not seeing how you get from "Jesus was real" to "aliens aren't". Or from "aliens are real" to "Jesus wasn't".

This assumes that god is real and only sent his son to one planet. Not seeing the connection with the aliens here.

Is god real and did he only send his son to one planet? If either of those can be answered "no" or "I don't know", the question becomes irrelevant.

This is phrased as either/or, but the options aren't mutually exclusive. Nor are they the only options. Nor is the existence of aliens somehow intertwined with the existence of a deity.

I'm not seeing how you get from "Jesus was real" to "aliens aren't". Or from "aliens are real" to "Jesus wasn't".
I only brought up aliens cause i was watching alien videos on youtube :lol:

But the main focus of my question was about christ and why god picked earth from all the planets in the universe to send his son christ to.

But the main focus of my question was about christ and why god picked earth from all the planets in the universe to send his son christ to.
And this answered that:
This assumes that god is real and only sent his son to one planet...

You may as well ask "If pigs can fly, why do only birds poo on my car?".

Have you seen the dude? Beard, long hair, flawless pale skin (like all the other Arabs from that part of the world) - He would have stuck out like a sore thumb on Kepler-62f where the locals have hairless green skin, six arms and three sets of eyes protruding out on stalks from their globular bodies. He'd of had a much harder time convincing those locals that he's the son of god looking like that.

Well my question wasn't about aliens but more about god being the creator of it all then that also means life on other planets, so with trillions of other planets out there why earth? are we more special to god then life on another planet 300 million light years away?

It was a joke, not an answer.

Firstly, god didn't send his son to Earth. If he did then what makes you so sure it was the only place he would have sent him to?

Weird question but what happened to Jesus's remains?

Is it even known to exist?
I don't have much to offer but I do recall an episode of Secrets Of The Dead in which scientists investigate the "Shroud of Turin", a piece of linen said to have served as a burial shroud. If memory serves, no remains were found with the "shroud" but it was determined to be of appropriate age to have been used as such, which is...something...I guess.

I don't have much to offer but I do recall an episode of Secrets Of The Dead in which scientists investigate the "Shroud of Turin", a piece of linen said to have served as a burial shroud. If memory serves, no remains were found with the "shroud" but it was determined to be of appropriate age to have been used as such, which is...something...I guess.

The only RC dating put it at around 1200ACE, I think?

As I was reading another news article about the Catholic Church covering for child rapists, it struck me that just about any other organisation would have been disbanded and outlawed at this point. The level of willful enabling of child rape just seems incredible, and that by all accounts it seems to go all the way to the top I would have thought to be the last straw.

I guess people never believe it could be their priest, or their church. These are things that happen to other people in places far away. Except that they're not, and for all that may be good about Catholicism I'm not sure that it's worth turning a blind eye to an organisation that will defend and protect child rapists.

That would be a great question for Jesus or Jehova, since they apparently had no idea of other planets, solar systems or galaxies according to "their" book.

My answer is: any answer here is meaningless because believers will always find an excuse to whatever question you put to them.

There's no one answer to this big question.

Firstly, we have little evidence and no proof of life on other planets, even though we think it highly likely. But either way is still an open question.

In the event there are other advanced, conscious humanoids out there, perhaps a "Great Spirit" manifests from DNA to each of them in a unique, bespoke way? Perhaps it manifests to ants, too?

Here are ants performing funeral rites for a bee. :lol:

The only RC dating put it at around 1200ACE, I think?
That may very well be the case and I'm misremembering or misheard. Given the subject matter, I may not have been as attentive as with other episodes. Regardless of the actual age of the article, all that tells us is the age and offers nothing to substantiate claims.

There are surely rocks around now that existed during the time of the dinosaurs, but that doesn't mean the played bocce with them.

:P

Fermi Paradoxon: if life is everywhere in the universe why haven't we seen even a trace of it yet?

* We live in a simulation and we are currently the only ones simulated for whatever reason. It is theoretically possible to build a quantum computer so powerful it can simulate thousands of universes filled with life. If such computer or computers exists it could be more likely that we are the product of a simulation than being real physical beings in a physical universe, depending of if multiverses exist. And for some reason this sim does only feature humans on earth. Maybe to save processing power? Simulating the mind of an intelligent being would consume the most resources.

* Life is actually really hard to come into existence. There is still several big unknowns between having lifeless matter and the first cells. It is possible that this did not happen anywhere else in the universe as it is so unlikely to happen because the circumstances have to be just right, but its hard to say because we don't know.

*Environments on planets are too unstable to let simple lifeforms evolve into intelligent beings. In this theory life does exist in lots of places but planets periodically experience catastrophic environmental changes that wipes out most if not all lifeforms before they can evolve into intelligent beings smart enough to escape or to prevent the cataclysm. Planet-wide volcanic activities turning the planet into a toxic wasteland, meteor strikes etc.
This almost happened several times on earth, and if such event happened today and killed us humans it happened once more.

* Filters. A filter is a hurdle an intelligent race has to overcome before it can become a space-exploring intergalactic race we can observe. Maybe the filter is so tough to overcome it sends all soon-to-be intelligent races into an early grave.
It is possible we have not overcome this filter yet either and that it will kill us too, and looking at our technological process this would happen soon. Maybe it is inevitable to eventually build AI that kills off its creators or maybe nuclear war that kills everyone is inevitable.

* Intelligent life is very unlikely. We only have earth as example for life, and there is only one race that emerged to become intelligent, among the millions of other animal races. Only very special environmental circumstances lead us to become intelligent. Maybe this has not happened anywehere else.

* We are too late or too early. Maybe big civilizations have existed or are about to come into existence? Maybe dozens of big civilization have died out already, others may be at the brink of becoming intelligent races. In the grand scheme of things the universe is REALLY old and we have been looking for possible intelligent life in other places for what? 50 years tops? Maybe right now we are the only intelligent race.

* Or maybe its a combination of those theories? If the right circumstances for life are extremely rare, intelligent life is even more unlikely, filters do exist and planets are really unstable, well that, would make life extremely unlikely and make earth really damn special indeed.

Last edited:
Weird question but what happened to Jesus's remains?

Is it even known to exist?

Not even my Jesuit Priest theology professor in college would admit to there being solid proof of Jesus being real. He studied the Dead Sea Scrolls in the Vatican for several years (doing a translation project) and he had the most bizarrely pragmatic view of the Bible that I've ever seen from a priest.

Ultimately, for him, the lack of proof in Jesus' existence was the test of his faith. Rationally there was no proof that satisfied him and ultimately that gap in reasoning became something for him to conquer, with faith.

Pretty weird huh? And apparently the idea of "virgin birth" is a translation error of the word "young woman".

Not even my Jesuit Priest theology professor in college would admit to there being solid proof of Jesus being real.

That's bizarre given the strong, dated evidence that a man named Jesus lived in that time and was well known to the Roman authorities. Perhaps you're confusing his existence with all the living/dying/living/ascension twaddle?

That's bizarre given the strong, dated evidence that a man named Jesus lived in that time and was well known to the Roman authorities. Perhaps you're confusing his existence with all the living/dying/living/ascension twaddle?

You're clearly referring to the Cornelius Tacitus myth. If 3 debatable and possibly forged references in Roman writing are good enough for you, that's fine. It's doesn't pass the test for me though.

Back