Do you believe in God?

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 24,085 comments

Do you believe in god?

• Of course, without him nothing would exist!

Votes: 616 30.5%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 368 18.2%
  • No way!

Votes: 1,035 51.3%

• Total voters
It's a while since we've been interested in God, and it looks like that might be a good thing. A Catholic Bishbod has laid himself open for an AMA (EDIT: That's a Reddit "Ask Me Anything", a formal Q&A for users and field experts) doesn't seem to have gone that well.

This particular reply sums things up simplistically but pretty neatly.

Bishop.PNG

Last edited:
It's a while since we've been interested in God, and it looks like that might be a good thing. A Catholic Bishbod has laid himself open for an AMA, doesn't seem to have gone that well.

This particular reply sums things up simplistically but pretty neatly.

View attachment 1006100
The comment appears to have been deleted which itself appears to be a neat summation of how the Catholic church deals with awkward questions.

Beats being burnt at the stake or tortured to death like in the old days, I suppose.

Last edited:
I'm going to hazard a guess that half the questions are about clerical abuse.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that AMA in this context has nothing to do with either the American Medical Association or the Academy of Model Aeronautics.

I'm guessing that AMA in this context has nothing to do with either the American Medical Association or the Academy of Model Aeronautics.

Sorry, I should have added that context. As @PeterJB says it's Ask Me Anything, a popular format on Reddit where people volunteer to be asked, well, you get the idea. I think @Jimlaad43 might have done one as a motorsports marshall?

So why not always a universe? That's the simpler thing to assume. That's the question you dodged from his video and you dodge again right here in this post. And please don't pull that "god is the universe" thing, because words have meanings and those two words don't mean the same thing. Inserting a god only raises many many more questions. Its answers nothing.

You give yourself a little too much credit when you assume that there must always have been existence. See, to even frame that question you're assuming that time is continuous. But the big bang shaped spacetime. Spacetime formed and evolved throughout the big bang. As you look backward approaching the big bang, our understanding of physics gets stretched significantly, to the point where we have trouble even tracking what spacetime is anymore. So asking what came before the big bang is a fairly nonsensical question. It's at least nonsensical in terms of our everyday understanding of time.

To really understand the universe, you need to understand that time is a part of it. It's not something that exists outside the universe for the universe to exist in. It is molded and shaped, along with space, in lots of ways. In the presence of gravity, and in light of quantum entanglement, in terms of probability. So when you understand that time is a part of the universe, asking what came before the universe is like asking where the universe was before the universe existed.

Asking when something occurred is very much linked with asking where something occurred. What you're asking is like asking where the big bang happened.... the only where we know of, or understand, is inside the universe. The universe occurred everywhere, and nowhere. And the universe occurred forever, and never.

I left this little piece of unexplained handwaiving in the post above:

"It's at least nonsensical in terms of our everyday understanding of time."

I did that because I didn't/don't understand what happens to time as we approach the big bang, but I knew things got weird. I found an explanation from Stephen Hawking which puts it nicely. When discussing time at the beginning of the universe we should consider what happens to the universe as it becomes the size of an atom. Stephen Hawking explained it, summed up here.

At that level, quantum mechanics dominates. Our universe becomes necessarily decoherent from alternative realities. Meaning our universe is not entangled with the infinite possibilities for reality are also present, and this includes all of spacetime. I think it's fair for Hawking to call this the end of our reality "Since events before the Big Bang have no observational consequences, one may as well cut them out of the theory, and say that time began at the Big Bang".

As you trace our universe back to the size of an atom, we become disentangled with reality, meaning it's not our reality anymore. Our reality was born from entanglement.

Last edited:
This raises a few questions.

First, which religions would these be? I'm not sure I've ever come across one where the reason for creation was purely for the experience. The simulation hypothesis is similar, and I'm sure someone, somewhere has tried to make a religion around it, but I've never heard of one making it beyond the few-beers-in-a-pub stage.
Second, why would the cosmic consciousness go to the trouble of creating this universe rather than anything else with their time/space/resources/strange cosmic consciousness stuff?
Third, if we're working from the premise that the universe is a created thing that undergoes revision to improve it, why would we expect to be at a stage where problems or defects would be visible to us? We could be in anything from the first draft to the most polished final edit.
Fourth, how do we tell what's a defect? Which observed behaviours are bugs and which are features? For example, is radioactivity an unintended consequence of an insufficiently complex atomic simulation or of shoddy coding, or is it supposed to be like that?
The notion that God, consciousness and a simulated universe are all the same thing is garnering increasing discussion on Reddit forums. That UAP congregate around nuclear assets is now perhaps the very signal you ask about. I've gratuitously assumed free will granted us unfettered freedom, including freedom to fail.

I'm open to either possibility, where either YHVH exists or they don't. But if you ask me, the only thing that really seems to have dominance over reality isn't anything orderly. Life isn't something I'd call "unfair" like others would, but I'd more so perceive it as something chaotic, which isn't to say that's an inherently good or bad thing. It can both work for and against you. Everything is just a dice roll.

I feel sorry for you non believers especially when you are cast into the lake of fire. Of course most of you atheists don’t even know what that is.
Fun fact: neither do people who aren't atheists. I mean, you think you do, because it's in your holy book, but there's no actual way for you to know what it is because you haven't experienced it and don't know anyone who has.

More importantly though, it's in your holy book in English. But your holy book wasn't written in English, nor was it written in the form of the book you might have in your home today; it was in fact assembled from several other books into the anthology it is today, but other books of roughly equal provenance were rejected, and written in Latin - mostly by one person, from a slew of other languages (including Greek, Aramaic, and Sanskrit).

The specific portion of the anthology that refers to a "lake of fire" was actually written in Greek, and generally isn't held to refer to a literal lake of fire outside of Jehovah's Witnesses (or rather their ruling council; JWs aren't allowed to read the actual book, just the rulers' interpretations of it), Mormons, and Judaism - rather a nonspecific location of eternal torment. Some religions believe it is a place of annihilation, which is to say the torment isn't eternal because your essence is literally extinguished, while others think it's a crucible for burning away the bad and leaving only the good - as with gold. The lake of fire is a purifying process in those cases.

Even then though, the "lake of fire" is - like so much else in your book (and particularly the Old Testament) - directly stolen from older religions. This one is lifted from the Egyptian Book of the Dead... which is a book of spells written on coffins in order to protect and bless the deceased in their afterlife, 1,000 years before the period in which Moses supposedly lived.

So currently you're preaching magic. Not only that, but magic from a society which believed its kings and queens were deities personified, written in a language you don't understand.

But hey, love the condescension from a position of such miniscule knowledge.

Can’t get a rise out of me, but it is sure very funny how I seem to get a rise out of you non believers that elect to gang up with the typical narcissistic type attitude because of one not agreeing with your stance which is clearly not wise… good luck with that… I realize you can’t stand the heat from the opinion of true believers… but y’all non believers should get use to the heat that is coming soon…

Can’t get a rise out of me
Responding to tell everyone they're going to burn in a lake of fire that isn't even in your religion - but you don't even realise it - seems pretty risen.
the typical narcissistic type attitude because of one not agreeing with your stance
y’all non believers should get use to the heat that is coming soon
It's between manganesey and cobalty.

I feel honored actually… non believers went on to attack Jesus with their internal narcissistic hate also… so y’all… it is nothing knew by you following the ancient footsteps of the damned. Gotta go now to my Bible study, but I will say a prayer for y’all to actually read the Bible and not just google it with copy… oh… Portland is looking for citizens and some of you would be great candidates. But down south or down Texas and Nevada way not so much. Bye…

Last edited:
I feel sorry for you non believers especially when you are cast into the lake of fire. Of course most of you atheists don’t even know what that is. Still have time to repent…
Do you really think this comment was likely to contribute positively to the forum in any way?

Let me remind you of our site's Acceptable Usage Policy: https://www.gtplanet.net/aup/
You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack any individual or any group.
Isn't it funny, but several of my best friends are Christians, a few are Muslims and I also have friends who are followers of other religions, and never once have any of them told me that I will burn in a lake of fire. Similarly, I've never questioned or criticised a single one of their religious views, and hence we remain great friends in spite of our different beliefs.

Ask yourself why you said this and why you think it is acceptable to type this kind of thing on a forum when you wouldn't say it to my face.

In the meantime, if you can't be civil to people of all religious views - including to those who don't hold any religious beliefs - then keep it to yourself.

Last edited:
Gotta go now to my Bible study
Which version will you be studying? And in which language? You know nobody spoke English back when the books were copied from older texts, written in languages you can't understand, selectively turned into an anthology and rewritten into other languages you also don't understand, right? That is after all, why there are different English-language versions: because different human translators translate the original text differently.

It's like studying ice cream to understand grass - and claiming tutti frutti is the only true flavour.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for you non believers especially when you are cast into the lake of fire. Of course most of you atheists don’t even know what that is. Still have time to repent…
I don't mean to pile on, but reading this post, plus your subsequent responses, reminded me of the fans of "real" metal music. And why I fell out of love of old-school metal in general.

"LOL that ain't real metal LMAO" "Take that pop nonsense outta here"

:rolleyes:

The irony of your stance is rather astonishing, really. Replace a couple of words in your post and it will be mocking and "pitying" the believers like yourself for being so brainwashed.

I feel sorry for you non believers especially when you are cast into the lake of fire. Of course most of you atheists don’t even know what that is.
I know what the lake of fire is through the Meat Puppets, later made famous by Nirvana in their excellent acoustic live album. I figured that you would know the music too since you claim to know what this ‘lake of fire’ is.

I know what the lake of fire is through the Meat Puppets, later made famous by Nirvana in their excellent acoustic live album. I figured that you would know the music too since you claim to know what this ‘lake of fire’ is.
I can't hear the words "lake of fire" without thinking of this Bill Hicks routine.

Meanwhile at Bible Study class 2_FAST_2_FURIOUS might consider this interpretation from seven years ago on this very thread which backs up @Famine's remarks concerning certain inaccuracies in the translation of scripture:

Hell and the Lake of Fire are not the one and the same. Death and Hades/Hell (literally the realm of the dead) are to be cast into the lake of fire eventually - then there is no more death - the second death is actually the death of death!
The lake of fire when translated and understood correctly is actually God. The words translated to be the lake that burns with fire and brimstone refer to a divine cleansing and purifying fire. It's not a fire to torment and torture endlessly but one to cleanse and purify.
Nearly all instances in the Bible that have been translated to eternal, forever etc., should more correctly be translated to EON or AGE, AGES, AGE during or lasting. There is no eternal fire - only an age-lasting fire.

Sodom and Gomorrah are also to be restored - as are to be those that are cast into the 'eternal fire'.

Last edited:
Can’t get a rise out of me, but it is sure very funny how I seem to get a rise out of you non believers that elect to gang up with the typical narcissistic type attitude because of one not agreeing with your stance which is clearly not wise… good luck with that… I realize you can’t stand the heat from the opinion of true believers… but y’all non believers should get use to the heat that is coming soon
This person is talking bout global warming and y’all ganged up on him. Cmon!

Latest Posts

Back