Drive Club to steal the spotlight from GT6?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gran_Turismo
  • 341 comments
  • 36,405 views

Hmmm...

  • I am inclined to agree with this predicament.

    Votes: 35 9.6%
  • Blasphemy! PDs GT6 shall be Godlike!

    Votes: 110 30.1%
  • Who cares, brah? The more, the merrier!

    Votes: 200 54.8%
  • Forza 5 will be the only true driving simulator...

    Votes: 20 5.5%

  • Total voters
    365
Well I think GT6 sounds will be just as bad as GT5.

You don't see what i'm getting at here?
 
Well I think GT6 sounds will be just as bad as GT5.

You don't see what i'm getting at here?

GASP!!!! :eek: You didn't. Nah just kidding. I know what you're trying. :sly:
 
I'm not "trying" anything, just pointing out your hypocrisy.
 
I'm not "trying" anything, just pointing out your hypocrisy.

Hypocrisy? Me? Nooo I'll never do such thing to others, trust me. :sly:👍

Since were both not trying to start something, want to call it truths? :)
 
Hypocrisy? Me? Nooo I'll never do such thing to others, trust me. :sly:👍

Since were both not trying to start something, want to call it truths? :)

I think the word "trying" is in quotes because it's a forgone conclusion your statements on DC are hypocrisy...thus no need to "try":sly:
 
I think the word "trying" is in quotes because it's a forgone conclusion your statements on DC are hypocrisy...thus no need to "try":sly:

Indeed, but I haven't attempted to start anything when I quoted Earth though. o.0
 
the time they would have spent learning the new architecture could instead be spent on the game, adding new features and refining old ones. That's why I'm not expecting a lot of new features in Forza 5.
You might be right, but it depends. Moving from 360 to XBOne is a natural progression in a similar but high octane PC-based architecture. The PS4 in contrast is a massive jump in both power and ease of use. In addition, I'm sure Microsoft is dumping money into the development of F5, with a similar attitude from Evolution and SONY for DC. Also, with Forza being an established franchise that many are well familiar with, Turn 10 might feel the need to bring something fresh to the table, to make Forza 5 more than a shinier game on a shinier new console. With Drive Club being a brand new franchise, Evo likely feels the same urge to make a statement with features taking advantage of PS4's capacity, and not just spectating or letting online friends tackle challenges for you.

This is one of the reasons that this E3 is going to be the most interesting game expos ever. I'm mostly curious over what we'll learn about GT6, but these two games, and P CARS, have to show that they're worth the pricey new boxes hosting them. Should be fun times next week. ;)
 
Newest images of Drive Club appear to show a slick livery editor

+1 Drive Club spotlight

-1 Gran Turismo 6 spotlight

What I've seen in terms of new Drive Club images they are subjective at best, all I've seen is a few cars with some decals on them. Sure that suggests some sort of livery options, but a "slick livery editor? I'm not sure I'd go that far yet.

From what I've seen it could be nothing more than a handful of preset decal packages that may have adjustable colours, pick a club logo and get an accompanying preset livery to match.

Though you may have seen images I haven't that actually show a slick livery editor tool being used, if so can you link them please?
 
Drive Club vs. GT6? Looks like if you compared Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) and GT5 when it came out. Drive Club looks to be more of an arcade based racer, driving fancy exotics in fictional places just for the hell of it. GT6 is in a whole other level compared to it, as we all know.
 
I guess after the mess that was and is GT5, it's the right decision to have PD take the back seat for now.

But... GT6 on PS3? **** THAT S***

What do you guys think?

I take exception to 'the mess that was and is GT5' its a brilliant driving simulator, possibly the best of its kind to date, only to be exceeded by GT6, and one day a PC Sim will conquer it with enough cars and tracks, but that day isn't here yet.

Onto the OP, it will be quite the opposite, which is why I all along wanted GT6 on PS4. Only in that scenario would the two games no conflict, and here the conflict is like a knife versus a gun, GT6 being the latter.

DC, from what I/we know, can be a thought of as an Arcade like title, and it makes sense, that as games develop the gap between Arcarde and Simulator will reduce, and sometimes combine (eg. Forza seems to qualify well as both).

However. Since DC is on the PS4, even if it came out before GT6 AND the PS4 was super cheap, it'd still be a short seller because everyone interested in a driving simulator game will buy GT6 first and foremost, because its the best in the business and it will always be an amazingly cheaper and superior option to DC.

I could be wrong, but I believe those chances are unlikely. First of all, DC would have to come out and everyone say 'omg this is the most amazing driving simulator, blows everything away' then it would have to have all of the content, like cars, tracks, ect, all of which seems very remote, and even if it did miraculously conquer GT6, its still on a new expensive console, so I would buy a PS4 for DC in this alternative reality that won't ever exist, but otherwise I won't, and I won't buy a PS4 until a good enough title comes out, DC won't be that.

Metephorically, DC is annoying, because if it weren't for DC, maybe GT6 could be a bit further in the future, and be something more like what we'll expect GT7 Prolouge to be like, but with more content, and sooner. But anyway, I disagree with your premise for above stated reasons.
 
Last edited:
Well this is interesting.

DriveClub's creators originally attempted to have the game co-braned with Gran Turismo in a Forza Horizon/Forza fashion, but Japan (not sure if Sony or PD) said no. But with ex-PGR staff helping the project along, this could end up being a pretty good game.
 
Well this is interesting.

DriveClub's creators originally attempted to have the game co-braned with Gran Turismo in a Forza Horizon/Forza fashion, but Japan (not sure if Sony or PD) said no. But with ex-PGR staff helping the project along, this could end up being a pretty good game.

That's probably a good thing for them
 
That's probably a good thing for them

It's an excellent thing. I never got to own the PS2 (went PS1>Xbox>PS3), so PGR2 ended up being one of my favorite racing games when I should've been playing GT3/4. The online was a great deal of fun, so knowing that former members of the team that made that game are making a Sony Exclusive racer... it's exciting to say the least.
 
Drive Club vs. GT6? Looks like if you compared Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) and GT5 when it came out. Drive Club looks to be more of an arcade based racer, driving fancy exotics in fictional places just for the hell of it. GT6 is in a whole other level compared to it, as we all know.

Yet the arcade games seems to have important features that we might not get in a "another level game" .

Anyway I still think this is Sony's Forza Horizon,if it sells expect a few sequels .
 
with ex-PGR staff helping the project along, this could end up being a pretty good game.
I hope it's the right ex-PGR staff, because I didn't like Project Gotham. I also hope it's a better execution than Test Drive, which likewise did nothing for me.
 
Drive club is meant to be very much like NFS, no real tracks just roads, the real contendor to challange GT5 will be Forza and Project C.A.R.S which is coming out on PS3 then a enhanced edition on PS4.
 
Drive club is meant to be very much like NFS, no real tracks just roads, the real contendor to challange GT5 will be Forza and Project C.A.R.S which is coming out on PS3 then a enhanced edition on PS4.

Yes and no.

Depending on how many cars it has, how pretty it is and how simulator-y it is, the open roads thing need not take it out as a competitor to GT. Sure, road driving it different to track driving, but I see a pretty big overlap in the people that own Forza 4 and Forza Horizon. I don't see why the same couldn't apply to GT and Driveclub.
 
There's a rumor about Sony finally having the Porsche license.
A Porsche (or RUF?) has been seen on a screenshot from DriveClub. Was this discussed already?
mm0xc1hXLz4.jpg
 
Yes and no.

Depending on how many cars it has, how pretty it is and how simulator-y it is, the open roads thing need not take it out as a competitor to GT. Sure, road driving it different to track driving, but I see a pretty big overlap in the people that own Forza 4 and Forza Horizon. I don't see why the same couldn't apply to GT and Driveclub.
I play Forza and have lots of friends who play Forza. about 10% of them bought Horizon including myself but only 1 person on my friends list actually played it more than a few days and only that one person said he liked it. Several of my friends tried the demo and said no way. I did not care for the demo but tried the game anyway which was a mistake.

If DC is anything like Horizon then they can keep it.
 
I play Forza and have lots of friends who play Forza. about 10% of them bought Horizon including myself but only 1 person on my friends list actually played it more than a few days and only that one person said he liked it. Several of my friends tried the demo and said no way. I did not care for the demo but tried the game anyway which was a mistake.

If DC is anything like Horizon then they can keep it.

If you get a PS4 and want a racing game you only have this and rivals,DC is more tempting .
 
If you get a PS4 and want a racing game you only have this and rivals,DC is more tempting .
I will not be getting a PS4 any time soon. I do have a PS3 and I do want a racing game and that game will be GT6 without a doubt.

After looking at some trailer video for DC I am not impressed. It looks pretty but nothing there that made me think oh I want this. pCars sounds interesting and of course FM5 has potential but the new XBox doesn't sit well with me so I will not be getting that one any time soon either.

GT6 like all the other GT games will sell millions of copies easily. DC will be a small fraction of that if it is lucky.
 
HBR-Roadhog
I will not be getting a PS4 any time soon. I do have a PS3 and I do want a racing game and that game will be GT6 without a doubt.

After looking at some trailer video for DC I am not impressed. It looks pretty but nothing there that made me think oh I want this. pCars sounds interesting and of course FM5 has potential but the new XBox doesn't sit well with me so I will not be getting that one any time soon either.

GT6 like all the other GT games will sell millions of copies easily. DC will be a small fraction of that if it is lucky.

If you're not getting a PS4, why are you complaining about DC :lol:

Yes GT6 will sell more but what does that have to do with anything?
 
If you're not getting a PS4, why are you complaining about DC :lol:

Yes GT6 will sell more but what does that have to do with anything?

Just a guess, but since the title of the thread is about Drive Club stealing the spotlight from GT6, sales are obviously part of that discussion. Hard to steal the spotlight from something when you might only have 25% of the sales volume. The spotlight tends to go where the money goes.
 
If you're not getting a PS4, why are you complaining about DC :lol:

Yes GT6 will sell more but what does that have to do with anything?

How am I complaining about it? It just doesn't interest me at this point.

The thread is about DC stealing the spotlight from GT6. It won't do that and even if I was getting a PS4 I would still be getting GT6 on my PS3 and that will be the only game I play for a good while after it is released. At that time with luck pCars will be available and I may check it out.
 
What I've seen in terms of new Drive Club images they are subjective at best, all I've seen is a few cars with some decals on them. Sure that suggests some sort of livery options, but a "slick livery editor? I'm not sure I'd go that far yet.

From what I've seen it could be nothing more than a handful of preset decal packages that may have adjustable colours, pick a club logo and get an accompanying preset livery to match.

Though you may have seen images I haven't that actually show a slick livery editor tool being used, if so can you link them please?

It looks to me more then that. Someone created the head of a beast on this car's livery and some fancy stripes. Doesnt look like preset decals to me. Some decals may be preset like manufacturer logos but from what I can tell there will be a very solid text and shapes editor to create some really nice designs

Also point to point racing has been confirmed. At the moment Drive Club is offering two big gameplay to steal the spotlight from GT6, a livery editor and point to point racing. And if the magazine can be trusted, Motorstorm quality damage

And look at those graphics (puddles!). When people see a GT6 commercial and a Drive Club commercial this November I have a feeling Drive Club will steal alot of thunder with it's vastly superior visuals

playmagazineukissue23lcdqe.jpg
 
It still wasn't clear whether they're going for arcade or sim. If it's the former, it doesn't even compete with GT6 for me.
 
I think just from the images and video we've seen it won't be full on sim, the only question is just how 'relaxed' it will be.
 
Forgive me... but this first video on the opening page looks like that same nonsense we're dealing with now: Trillions of polygons or whatever devoted to headlights and seats and flash... But how is the AI and engine sounds or single player career mode (is there one?) or damage or... I'll still rent it and see if it's any good.
 
Back