Drive Club to steal the spotlight from GT6?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gran_Turismo
  • 341 comments
  • 36,405 views

Hmmm...

  • I am inclined to agree with this predicament.

    Votes: 35 9.6%
  • Blasphemy! PDs GT6 shall be Godlike!

    Votes: 110 30.1%
  • Who cares, brah? The more, the merrier!

    Votes: 200 54.8%
  • Forza 5 will be the only true driving simulator...

    Votes: 20 5.5%

  • Total voters
    365
It looks to me more then that. Someone created the head of a beast on this car's livery and some fancy stripes. Doesnt look like preset decals to me. Some decals may be preset like manufacturer logos but from what I can tell there will be a very solid text and shapes editor to create some really nice designs

GT5 has cars with stripes, numbers, manufacturer decals, two-tone paint schemes and wotnot, some liveries and decals even change colour when you paint the car. But there's clearly no slick livery editor or tools for making any kind of custom artwork is there.

As I said, for all we know that could be nothing more than a preset decal package you get when you pick your club / team logo. So you choose the little beast head and are given a decal skin of the beast head with fancy stripes to apply to your club / team cars. No evidence of an actual player usable livery editor.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to say there isn't or won't be an in-depth one, just that I've yet to see anything to actually prove there is.


Also point to point racing has been confirmed. At the moment Drive Club is offering two big gameplay to steal the spotlight from GT6, a livery editor and point to point racing. And if the magazine can be trusted, Motorstorm quality damage

Point to point racing, ok that may or may not be something that exists in GT6 (though I think there might be a rumour that it's possible in the course creator?) so that might be a small plus point if it turns out GT6 has none at all.

Ok, so it might have Motorstorm quality damage.. what if it also has Motorstorm quality physics? Not sure it would steal much spotlight if that were the case, more likely to affect any NFS type titles more than a GT one.


And look at those graphics (puddles!). When people see a GT6 commercial and a Drive Club commercial this November I have a feeling Drive Club will steal alot of thunder with it's vastly superior visuals

Vastly superior visuals, well you'd kind of expect that given it's on a fancy and expensive new modern piece of hardware wouldn't you, if it turns out to be nothing more than a fancy social networking app with a sparkly arcade racer front end I'm not sure it'll really be stealing a lot of thunder from anywhere now is it. At least now we can add puddles to the list along with metallic flakey paint sparkles, weave in the carbon fibre, threads and pile on the cloth of the seats and all the other fancy graphic effects, now all we need is some substance.

Unless it turns out to have some significantly more sim-like qualities to it, specifically but not limited to the handling / driving physics, it's really not going to be any form of competition for GT6. Still looking like apples vs. oranges to me, both fruit from the "driving game" bush but not similar enough to compete with eachother.. of course DC might turn out to a Satsuma to GT6's Tangerine, only time will tell :).
 
Lets just hope its as good as it looks. All I want to do is drive and sometimes a little variety makes you appreciate your favorites that much more. The only problem I have is wondering how can I play Drive Club on my PS3 or how can I play GT6 on my PS4?:dunce:
 
Just a guess, but since the title of the thread is about Drive Club stealing the spotlight from GT6, sales are obviously part of that discussion. Hard to steal the spotlight from something when you might only have 25% of the sales volume. The spotlight tends to go where the money goes.

Does it?Forza 4's sales can not be compared to GT5 yet alot of people who played both say Forza is the more complete game .Same goes for say BF and COD ,COD still sells more but people like BF better etc

How am I complaining about it? It just doesn't interest me at this point.

The thread is about DC stealing the spotlight from GT6. It won't do that and even if I was getting a PS4 I would still be getting GT6 on my PS3 and that will be the only game I play for a good while after it is released. At that time with luck pCars will be available and I may check it out.

You'd honestly miss what looks like it's going to be a very good game,wait till they show everything about it who knows it might surprise you.
 
DriveClub might be the new Ridge Racer, RR has been launched early in each PS release, but now I haven't heard of PS4 RR ... personally I prefer Driveclub to have classic RR driving mechanics mixed with Evolution sim like physics. I miss Ridge Racer :(
 
Does it?Forza 4's sales can not be compared to GT5 yet alot of people who played both say Forza is the more complete game .Same goes for say BF and COD ,COD still sells more but people like BF better etc

You'd honestly miss what looks like it's going to be a very good game,wait till they show everything about it who knows it might surprise you.

If people actually liked Battlefield better, don't you think it would sell more? You can compare anything with anything if that's what you want, but the question is, will DC steal the spotlight from GT5? At this point you can't say, but all indications are it's a different kind of game, both driving to be sure, but different nonetheless and the type of game that DC appears to be at this point, has never had anywhere near the sales, hype, or spotlight of the GT series.
 
If DC is anything like Horizon then they can keep it.

You'd honestly miss what looks like it's going to be a very good game,wait till they show everything about it who knows it might surprise you.

Like I said if it is anything like Horizon they can keep it. I bought Horizon and gave it an honest chance and it failed badly. I even tried to get my brother to play it who btw likes NFS, Forza and GT but he did not like Horizon either so it went back to the store in trade on a used Madden game so that at least I would get something for my money.

So if DC is like that I do not want it and surely would not buy a console for it.
 
Vastly superior visuals, well you'd kind of expect that given it's on a fancy and expensive new modern piece of hardware wouldn't you, if it turns out to be nothing more than a fancy social networking app with a sparkly arcade racer front end I'm not sure it'll really be stealing a lot of thunder from anywhere now is it. At least now we can add puddles to the list along with metallic flakey paint sparkles, weave in the carbon fibre, threads and pile on the cloth of the seats and all the other fancy graphic effects, now all we need is some substance.

The thing is, two of Gran Turismo's biggest draws have been number of cars and graphics. Gran Turismo has always been one of the most graphically impressive games available. All of them, 1 through 5 have been among the best looking console games of their times.

And, as much as it sucks to say, graphics sell games. They just do. Pretty games sell.

So GT loses one of it's big draw cards. It'll be a pretty game, no doubt. And it's hardly like they could do anything about it on old hardware, but that's what they've chosen to do. They don't get a free pass for choosing to release on PS3. PD more than anyone would have had the opportunity to develop for PS4 if they had wanted.

Maybe Drive Club won't steal the spotlight, but GT is giving it every opportunity.
 
I don't think it has stolen any spotlight. Also they are different types of games and Drive Club seems to be the biggest social media car game ever. They are different and one is barely starting, GT has many fans and thus will have a spotlight. I say the more the better however, so even if one gained or loss who really cares?
 
I do want to point out that the title reads like a news report title that the anchors keep saying to make sure people watch it later "Drive Club to steal the spotlight from GT6? That story coming up after this commercial break."
 
Upon further thought, I believe Drive Club will steal the spotlight and sales from Forza 5.
 
Upon further thought, I believe Drive Club will steal the spotlight and sales from Forza 5.
Only if Forza 5 is more arcadey than previous versions. Most of the Forza players I know did not like Horizon at all so if DC is like Horizon it will not get many Forza fans to jump on board.

If it is a case of people just not buying the new XBox then I would expect they may make to jump to GT instead.
 
Only if Forza 5 is more arcadey than previous versions. Most of the Forza players I know did not like Horizon at all so if DC is like Horizon it will not get many Forza fans to jump on board.

If it is a case of people just not buying the new XBox then I would expect they may make to jump to GT instead.

asjagj.gif


^^^ From Drive Club.👍 That is some seriously good looking in game action.

2ePbBxh.jpg


Truth be told, it's going to steal a few GT customers.
 
^^^ From Drive Club.👍 That is some seriously good looking in game action.


Truth be told, it's going to steal a few GT customers.
It looks good visually but it does not show us anything that many of us would think is important. IMO the graphics on almost all racing games are good to great and I do not care if one is better than the other as all are acceptable to me and all of my friends. The game play is critical.

FM 2,3,4 and GT5 and soon 6 are the only ones I have played in a very long time that I actually liked. I did not like Horizon at all. Yes it was pretty but game play was not there. TDU I did not like nor did I like Shift nor Shift2

Yes there are a few who will say oooohhhh pretttty and buy it and there are others who will say is it realistic in terms of driving the car and if the answer is no they will leave it, they will also ask if it has real world tracks to race on or if it is just an open world environment. No real world tracks = no to many of us and to some no Nurburgring = no
 
The more I learn about it, the more uninterested I get. Focus on supercars, from what I gather only point to point and no tracks, too great a focus on social crap, arcade physics. The graphics sure look awesome but that alone is not nearly enough.
 
It looks good visually but it does not show us anything that many of us would think is important. IMO the graphics on almost all racing games are good to great and I do not care if one is better than the other as all are acceptable to me and all of my friends. The game play is critical.

FM 2,3,4 and GT5 and soon 6 are the only ones I have played in a very long time that I actually liked. I did not like Horizon at all. Yes it was pretty but game play was not there. TDU I did not like nor did I like Shift nor Shift2

Yes there are a few who will say oooohhhh pretttty and buy it and there are others who will say is it realistic in terms of driving the car and if the answer is no they will leave it, they will also ask if it has real world tracks to race on or if it is just an open world environment. No real world tracks = no to many of us and to some no Nurburgring = no

It's okay if you don't like Horizon. But 6 of your posts in this thread are about how much you and other people dislike it. We get it.
 
It's okay if you don't like Horizon. But 6 of your posts in this thread are about how much you and other people dislike it. We get it.
It would appear that some of them don't based on some of the responses.

The bottom line is that it don't matter how pretty a game is if it doesn't have the game play features we want most then we will not like it.

If DC has the features I want then I will buy it not in place of GT6 but in addition to but only if it has the features I want and not based on graphics.
 
It's okay if you don't like Horizon. But 6 of your posts in this thread are about how much you and other people dislike it. We get it.

6 here and every thread in the Forza forum as well. It's like ground hog day with every reply.
 
6 here and every thread in the Forza forum as well. It's like ground hog day with every reply.
Nonsense I have only even posted in a few threads in the Forza section and have only mentioned Horizon in a few of those.
 
Nonsense I have only even posted in a few threads in the Forza section and have only mentioned Horizon in a few of those.

no it just feel's like every thread since your complaints of either Horizon, FM or what ever game not GT are the same in every post.

ignore list edited.
 
Only if Forza 5 is more arcadey than previous versions. Most of the Forza players I know did not like Horizon at all so if DC is like Horizon it will not get many Forza fans to jump on board.

If it is a case of people just not buying the new XBox then I would expect they may make to jump to GT instead.

One the game wasn't built by the regular crew anyways, thus the company didn't want the spin-off it seems. Also horizon wasn't meant to be a sim, that is quite obvious thus comparing the two beyond name has no merit, also aren't we suppose to be talking about Drive Club vs GT...not FM.


off topic: FM fans didn't leave horizon behind due to DLC, if they had then FM4 wouldn't have used it as a major selling point. Once again Horizon isn't a reference point to FM nor what we can expect FM5 to be like. Yet again more favoritism, GT doesn't need someone parading them around. There will be other competition, other types of fans and some may not like GT. Do what most fans do, and just live with that fact, I do and so do the majority of other people. Nothing wrong with FM and you going to bat all the time just to get a rise is annoying.
 
One the game wasn't built by the regular crew anyways, thus the company didn't want the spin-off it seems. Also horizon wasn't meant to be a sim, that is quite obvious thus comparing the two beyond name has no merit, also aren't we suppose to be talking about Drive Club vs GT...not FM.

Exactly. Not sure how he keeps getting the idea that FM5 will be arcadey, considering T10 will be making it and weren't responsible for Horizon. They simply provided resources so PG could make the game. And some of the problems he has with Horizon have to do because he got it thinking it was going to have things it was never advertised to have, like real world tracks and tuning. It's a spin-off. Last time I checked, spin-offs aren't like the main games in a series. If Horizon was called FM5 instead, then yeah, I would be worried about the direction the series is going.

And a lot of people are refering to Drive Club as Sony'a Forza Horizon and I have to agree. They seem to revolve around the same concept and it's obvious that DC will be open world. I personally won't be getting a PS4 until I hear that GT7 is coming for it, that is, assuming PD got their act together with GT6.
 
Last edited:
After viewing the video posted on PS site interviewing the Drive Club staff, it appears that they are not trying to make a hardcore simulator. So if you are a GT fan because of how close it emulates the experience each car when its pushed hard, you will be disappointed in this title. That's not say that the game isn't going to be fun and have amazing graphics however, you can find many other titles to compare this one to Gran Turismo just isn't one of them.
 
The more I learn about it, the more uninterested I get. Focus on supercars, from what I gather only point to point and no tracks, too great a focus on social crap, arcade physics. The graphics sure look awesome but that alone is not nearly enough.

It has more then just point to point. Heres the official quote

It isn't open an open world racer, it's a mixture of point to point and circuit based roads and tracks.

I see the social side of it as just team based racing, so it doesnt bother me. Also they did say the physics will be arcadey, but that you will be able to tell the difference between each car's handling. The difficulty will be easy to pick up but hard to master according to them.

Also its going to be a time attack or time trial junkie's dream with the advanced abilities to create challenges and send them to others while watching the battle on the leaderboard
 
Oh, so it's not open world? That's kind of disappointing to be honest. Driving around and exploring the enviorment can be refreshing after racing a lot.
 
Last edited:
I see the social side of it as just team based racing, so it doesnt bother me.

....

Also its going to be a time attack or time trial junkie's dream with the advanced abilities to create challenges and send them to others while watching the battle on the leaderboard

The way they presented "team based racing", the time attack challenges and the whole social aspect of the game sounds to me more like a cross between the way Midnight Club LA races presented themselves and some kind of bad Facepage / Mytwit social interface more so than I'd imagine a realistic or serious type of racing club / team would be.

"Little Johnny from OMGLOL Racing has posted a faster time on Time Attack X, can you beat it?!"

"UCANTBEATME INC has challenged your club to a 2v2 battle!" ACCEPT / DECLINE

Sort of like the difference between "arcade" and "sim" styles when applied to "team based racing", if that makes sense? Then there's all the integrated sharing of content with Like buttons and Follower counts and wotnot, it just seems banal recreation of the social media trend for the sake of showing off some of the PS4's equally unnecessary (in my mind) social networking integration.

It might not turn out to be "that bad" when it's all said and done though, to be honest I kind of hope it does turn out better than that because it could be a fun game even if it's not a GT style sim game.


Also they did say the physics will be arcadey, but that you will be able to tell the difference between each car's handling. The difficulty will be easy to pick up but hard to master according to them.

Granted it's not actually a racing game but the same could be said about GTA IV, the driving physics are arcadey but there's definitely a big difference between how each vehicle handles and some are easier to master than others. It simply sounds like they're trying to dance around the fact that it's not a sim style racing game with realistic physics, not that there's anything wrong with being less sim-like as I'm sure many people enjoy those types of racing games too.
 
the thing is A LOT of xbox fanboys will be getting a PS4 instead of the Xbox One due to the whole DRM always online fiasco, it won't be so bad when GT6's numbers are low due to the bad next gen timing and a half ass game, but expect GT7's sales numbers to be the highest in the series.
 
Driveclub totally will steal the spotlight. Its a fresh new game, on a fresh new consule. GT6 seems alright but is on the old consule. I am really baffled at how PD can release GT6 on the PS3, when the PS4 comes out. It does not seem wise.
 
liampage123
Driveclub totally will steal the spotlight. Its a fresh new game, on a fresh new consule. GT6 seems alright but is on the old consule. I am really baffled at how PD can release GT6 on the PS3, when the PS4 comes out. It does not seem wise.

Large user base, game in development for 8 years for PS3 (presuming it's built on GT5s assets) etc.

As for drive club, it won't take the spotlight away, but it might take the shine off GT6 if it has better features, (e.g DriveClub lets you create your own events, why doesn't GT6).
 
the thing is A LOT of xbox fanboys will be getting a PS4 instead of the Xbox One due to the whole DRM always online fiasco

Agreed. I have several friends who were Xbox Live Beta testers years ago moving on from the XBone due to some the policies in place.

it won't be so bad when GT6's numbers are low due to the bad next gen timing and a half ass game

I envy you being how you must have already played GT6 and are qualified to make that statement:rolleyes:.
 
Back