Drive Club to steal the spotlight from GT6?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gran_Turismo
  • 341 comments
  • 36,405 views

Hmmm...

  • I am inclined to agree with this predicament.

    Votes: 35 9.6%
  • Blasphemy! PDs GT6 shall be Godlike!

    Votes: 110 30.1%
  • Who cares, brah? The more, the merrier!

    Votes: 200 54.8%
  • Forza 5 will be the only true driving simulator...

    Votes: 20 5.5%

  • Total voters
    365
Driveclub looks interesting, but gt6 will have it's ps4 version. Probably one year after ps4 launch, to boost back up the sales of ps4. Remember that Sony and Microsoft are very excited about the sales figure of they're ps3 and xbox360 in areas like the Middle East and others, so this way they can each have 2 consoles out on the market for many years to come.
 
I envy you being how you must have already played GT6 and are qualified to make that statement:rolleyes:.

If that's the case, than Sony failed to live up to the fanboys expectations with the PS4. I was in the future, it was laughable. :lol:
 
Driveclub totally will steal the spotlight. Its a fresh new game, on a fresh new consule. GT6 seems alright but is on the old consule. I am really baffled at how PD can release GT6 on the PS3, when the PS4 comes out. It does not seem wise.

Honestly, I can't see the freshness from what we've seen so far. Arcade racer with supercars that focuses on social challenges. Sounds like the last 3 NFS games and all the other recent NFS-style clones. Other than the pretty visuals I cannot think of anything memorable about the game. Had it been announced as a multiplatform for the PS3 and 360, I would imagine most people wouldn't even know what it was.
 
Last edited:
Arcade? Any source that confirm this already ? Personally if Driveclub will have arcade physics, I would prefer Ridge Racer style :D
 
Arcade? Any source that confirm this already ?

The devs confirmed it in a recent interview that floats around. Can't be arsed to look for it right now but there aren't that many DC videos so it should be easy enough.
 
Last edited:
it won't be so bad when GT6's numbers are low due to the bad next gen timing and a half ass game
I guess I'll pile on for a minute. ;)

The one game in the series which can legitimately said to be half-assed sold another 800,000 copies between December and March, pushing it over the 10 million mark in just over two years. Many of us can't stop playing it. If any phrase can be used to describe GT6, "half-assed" is not it, as just from the teasers we've been given since the Silverstone party, it's looking to be a world class game. I think you guys clinging to the GT-on-PS4 mentality are letting your desires cloud your judgment just a scouche.

Anyway, everything I hear about Drive Club makes it sound like Test Project Grid Drive Unlimited Gotham Racing, and that's okay for those who like semi-realistic grab n go, ruff n tumble racing, but that's just not my bag.
 
The devs confirmed it in a recent interview that flows around. Can't be arsed to look for it right now but there aren't that many DC videos so it should be easy enough.

No they didn't, they said it would be somewhere in the middle between arcade and full-on sim.
 
I guess I'll pile on for a minute. ;)If any phrase can be used to describe GT6, "half-assed" is not it, as just from the teasers we've been given since the Silverstone party, it's looking to be a world class game.

Like you said, we've just seen a trailer and a couple of 2 min videos. Making the assumption it'll be a "world class game" is not any better than making the assumption it'll be "half-assed" when we have so little actual information.
 
Like you said, we've just seen a trailer and a couple of 2 min videos. Making the assumption it'll be a "world class game" is not any better than making the assumption it'll be "half-assed" when we have so little actual information.

exactly my point, i'm assuming he also considers GT5 a "world class game" because that's what we're seeing in all of the new GT6 videos coming out, more of the same (with better lighting). :lol:
 
The middle of arcade and full-on sim is Gran Turismo. They said they're going for a game that will be accessible to everyone. Sounds like arcade to me.

Gran Turismo is definitely much closer to being a 'full-on sim' than it is an arcade racer though.

But anyway that's irrelevant, Evolution studios have already said that the physics wouldn't be arcade like, nor a simulation. What they mean when they say 'accessible to everyone' is that it will appeal to those who like relatively realistic physics, as well as those who want something that's easier and fun to drive.

download-2_zpse809c593.png
 
Gran Turismo is definitely much closer to being a 'full-on sim' than it is an arcade racer though.

But anyway that's irrelevant, Evolution studios have already said that the physics wouldn't be arcade like, nor a simulation. What they mean when they say 'accessible to everyone' is that it will appeal to those who like relatively realistic physics, as well as those who want something that's easier and fun to drive.

Good to now, I don't mind sim-cade physics as long as it's done right and it's playable (I'm looking at you Shift 2).
 
Gran Turismo is definitely much closer to being a 'full-on sim' than it is an arcade racer though.

But anyway that's irrelevant, Evolution studios have already said that the physics wouldn't be arcade like, nor a simulation. What they mean when they say 'accessible to everyone' is that it will appeal to those who like relatively realistic physics, as well as those who want something that's easier and fun to drive.

download-2_zpse809c593.png

Deleted my previous post because I was having a few issues so I'll post it here:

On the new video, one of the developers quite clearly states: "this is not a simulation in any way shape or form".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiUoCxOICvE

If a game doesn't target simulation I call it arcade, I really can't think of any other term. One could argue that games like grid 2 are also going for a little of both worlds but all games like that just feel arcade.
 
Like you said, we've just seen a (GT6) trailer and a couple of 2 min videos.
Actually, I didn't say that at all. The Silverstone Reveal was quite a mini-E3, and we were given a surprising amount of info I didn't think we would get. Maybe we know more or less about Drive Club, but the only other racers we know more about that I'm aware of are on PC. Besides, the only driving behavior I've seen like this, other than real life, is possibly in Project CARS.



I'm going to make an E3 prediction post which makes note of the details we were given already about GT6.
 
Actually, I didn't say that at all. The Silverstone Reveal was quite a mini-E3, and we were given a surprising amount of info I didn't think we would get. Maybe we know more or less about Drive Club, but the only other racers we know more about that I'm aware of are on PC. Besides, the only driving behavior I've seen like this, other than real life, is possibly in Project CARS.

What we mainly got was a slides presentation. We barely saw anything with our own eyes and not to mention some of the info was not all that positive. It's too early to say anything about the game's quality.
 

Social media, social interactions, look at your friends, look at your friend's friends, it's not a hardcore racing game. Challenge your friends, challenge complete strangers, it's easy to pick up, hey look at me drift isn't this brilliant! Share this, share that, go viral! It's not a simulation in any shape or form. Send out screenshots, upload videos, share, share, share, social media!

Seemed to me that that developer's Drive Club video put more emphasis on the social media aspects and how easy / simple it is to pick up and play than anything really substantial. Maybe it's because I have no use for or involvement with the whole social media trend that I see it as invasive and overbearing in Drive Club, because of the way they're marketing it as a key feature of the game.

Maybe that's what appeals to kids these days and I'm just getting to old for all this :).
 
Social media, social interactions, look at your friends, look at your friend's friends, it's not a hardcore racing game. Challenge your friends, challenge complete strangers, it's easy to pick up, hey look at me drift isn't this brilliant! Share this, share that, go viral! It's not a simulation in any shape or form. Send out screenshots, upload videos, share, share, share, social media!

Seemed to me that that developer's Drive Club video put more emphasis on the social media aspects and how easy / simple it is to pick up and play than anything really substantial. Maybe it's because I have no use for or involvement with the whole social media trend that I see it as invasive and overbearing in Drive Club, because of the way they're marketing it as a key feature of the game.

Maybe that's what appeals to kids these days and I'm just getting to old for all this :).

I'm with you on this. The more info I learn about the game the more "meh" I go. The visuals are nice and the driving could be fun but I've never really been one for social stuff in-game so I don't really like the focus.
 
What we mainly got was a slides presentation. We barely saw anything with our own eyes and not to mention some of the info was not all that positive. It's too early to say anything about the game's quality.

What info are you referring to?
 
I voted the more racers the better,I have no loyalty to any one games company/developer and play any racer I can get my hands on,and Driveclub/FM5 will be no different. :)👍
 
What info are you referring to?

Standard cars returning with many of them possibly looking exactly the same, very few new tracks etc. I think we're starting to really derail this thread though.
 
Standard cars returning with many of them possibly looking exactly the same, very few new tracks etc. I think we're starting to really derail this thread though.

GASP! You saw them!? I need source. O_O

I'm sticking with Kaz's word regarding standard cars going to be updated, since there in photo mode now, I'm sure there going to look at least great. Plus all cars will be in one garage and not in different categories anymore. This will kill the whole premium/standard sides and will now be..... Cars with good customisations. :sly:
 
GASP! You saw them!? I need source. O_O

*sigh*

That's the whole point I was trying to make above. That we don't really know anything, we just have information (much of it ambiguous) so the game can turn out either way.
 
Actually, never mind, I'm feeling ill and am not all there. All I can say is that the doom n gloom is a bit more habit than based in reality.
 
*sigh*

That's the whole point I was trying to make above. That we don't really know anything, we just have information (much of it ambiguous) so the game can turn out either way.

You're indeed right, there isn't much but speculating until E3 next week. I was just having fun with you from my first sentence. ;)
 
What Kaz said is the opposite of that, you're injecting your own expectations. Which is fine, but make sure you don't put text in his mouth. It's like the Livery Editor, which a few of us are pretty sure he's alluding to in his remarks, but we don't start throwing our hands in the air in celebration until he says for sure on that.

What Kaz said was ambiguous for both the cars and customization. My original point about it being too early to draw conclusions about the game still stands and you kinda are celebrating about the game being a masterpiece which is what sparked this argument in the first place.

Anyway, this is my last off-topic post for this thread. If anybody feels like continuing we can take it elsewhere.
 
Arcade? Any source that confirm this already ? Personally if Driveclub will have arcade physics, I would prefer Ridge Racer style :D

Go to PS site and watch the video posted yesterday. The developers say it plain as day and I quote " This is not a simulator". With that being said what else could it be?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiUoCxOICvE&sns=em 4:46 in you'll find the no way shape or form is this a sim quote....
 
Last edited:
"This is not a simulator" does not have to be referring to the driving model, simply that it's not going to be a serious simulator in style and execution.

I don't get why every racing game has to be given a label these days.
 
No they didn't, they said it would be somewhere in the middle between arcade and full-on sim.

Simcade which is what some people would classify GT and FM, but they are more Sim than Arcade. So only time will tell which end Drive club is on.
 
Back