Emergency Update Incoming NOT 1.07

They soon will be a massive expansion of S rated drivers and they'll be around a 1.5 second a lap gap between the pace of them from Alien to shouldn't be S drivers.

It took me one race to get to S since the update and I lost a position in the race (from second to third) and it would have been more but the guy in front slowed as he must have had a penalty.

'Massive expansion' might be overstating it - weren't you fairly high up A before the change?

Curious to know what spread of DRs you get to see in your races this evening, that might give some idea of how many S there are now. But if PD continue to scatter A/S drivers around as rabbits for B class races, maybe I'll see more of them too.

Anyway, my DR doesn't seem to have changed with this update, or if it has it's only gone done a very tiny bit. I've been at about 75% to 80% full bar of B for a while, now at what looks like 75%. Guessing the reference point for the changes was pretty close to my level or a bit above, and they've basically just spread them out a bit.

'Massive expansion' might be overstating it - weren't you fairly high up A before the change?

Curious to know what spread of DRs you get to see in your races this evening, that might give some idea of how many S there are now. But if PD continue to scatter A/S drivers around as rabbits for B class races, maybe I'll see more of them too.

Anyway, my DR doesn't seem to have changed with this update, or if it has it's only gone done a very tiny bit. I've been at about 75% to 80% full bar of B for a while, now at what looks like 75%. Guessing the reference point for the changes was pretty close to my level or a bit above, and they've basically just spread them out a bit.

Yep and I thought I was too high of a level then. By weekend we should know how many S drivers there are now, then we can judge a bit better. ;)

Agree entirely.

Perhaps we need to distinguish between qualifying - fastest possible lap on the limit taking risks - and racing - consistent laps of at least 15-20 using race craft -- in these discussions.
I'll never manage to be as fast as some of the guys I see online, but I'm happy that I can be consistent. Raced at Alsace today, where I was P2 on the grid to a guy who had qualified 3 seconds faster - I finished second, 9 seconds behind him after 3 laps!

Also raced at Suzuka, where I qualified 14th, and finished 6th after 10 laps - didn't overtake one car on track, just passed them whilst they were in the gravel thus benefiting from some more consistent lappery, rather than outright speed......

I hate to be one of those guys , but, the TT had some traits/quirks which had to be dealt with effectively in order to drive it quickly. That seems to be gone now and it does feel like it is on tracks now. Not saying that's good or bad , or even inaccurate but it's really dumbed down now.

FED5B9D8-46E0-46E7-85EB-8C5C43784D60.jpeg
I’m 0.5mm away from S with this update :)

Wow I didn't think to check my level. This is crazy. Maybe this will fix points disparity in FIA.I

It will still depend on your SR. High or low S makes a massive difference.

And S is not the end. You can be anywhere on the S spectrum. Aliens will have a high S but I might just be a low S by tomorrow if I stop being disconnected.

If a 'kid that can barely hold a controller' is as fast as you with wheel it's your problem not the games... TCS and CSA do not make you faster, they only allow you to be more consistent (by reducing errors/crashes).

Anyone who's half decent with a wheel should be able to annihilate all but the most skilled pad users

I admit i was exaggerating, else i wouldn't have the wins and Top10 times i have (or had before the last PD leaderboard changes) ;)

I still stick to my point that the game got more and more boring with all the updates. It's just a Simcade i know, but still most cars shouldn't feel like F1 cars regarding downforce.

Example: Driving School #8 (full throttle corner) was challenging before patch 1.06 as you needed to get the perfect line to not slide, now you have multiple lines through the corner and can easily be faster than before. If real racing would be that easy, i would try it, even at my age ;)

If you like it that way, good for you, i hope PCars2 will be updated soon on PS4...

I admit i was exaggerating, else i wouldn't have the wins and Top10 times i have (or had before the last PD leaderboard changes) ;)

I still stick to my point that the game got more and more boring with all the updates. It's just a Simcade i know, but still most cars shouldn't feel like F1 cars regarding downforce.

Example: Driving School #8 (full throttle corner) was challenging before patch 1.06 as you needed to get the perfect line to not slide, now you have multiple lines through the corner and can easily be faster than before. If real racing would be that easy, i would try it, even at my age ;)

If you like it that way, good for you, i hope PCars2 will be updated soon on PS4...

As do/did I (2 top 10's on full track Circuit Challenges - Nurb GP and Brands GP).

But I don't get the criticism of the physics changes at all.

Before 1.06, the cars had so little front end grip it was almost impossible to load the front end properly and use weight transfer to adjust the car. Driving quickly was primarily a matter of managing front end grip.

Post 1.06, the cars have much better balanced grip front to rear.

Whether one corner on one track is flat or not for a relatively low powered car doesn't really matter to me... I want the race cars to have some life to them, some rotation, which they do now (and they would have even more if they didn't have silly amounts of +ve rear toe and such high LSD decel stock).

I haven't played PCars, but post 1.06, GTS feels significantly more fun to drive than AC for example, where the race cars have no feeling of rotation at all and just understeer everywhere.

That's because the tires are grippier. How is that boring if the physics are still the same or better? The challenge is to be on the limit... there is still basically only one fastest driving line, no matter how much grip there is.

Are you consistently beating your friends times? If so find faster friends, so you can challenge yourself.

It was too hard to reach S rank and only 0.001% of the players in the world having it was kind of ridiculous

I've said for a while now there needs to be a + and a - for reach grade in DR and SR. The skill gap between barely A and almost S is huge, something A-, A, and A+ would fix, instead of just A. The fastest guys can shoot for S+ and those 1.5-2 seconds off the pace can target S-.

It was too hard to reach S rank and only 0.001% of the players in the world having it was kind of ridiculous

I've said for a while now there needs to be a + and a - for reach grade in DR and SR. The skill gap between barely A and almost S is huge, something A-, A, and A+ would fix, instead of just A. The fastest guys can shoot for S+ and those 1.5-2 seconds off the pace can target S-.

The main reason for that is just time... not enough drivers have run enough races to reach DRS, even if they are fast enough in absolute terms.

And it's easy to find DRA drivers who are faster than DRS drivers (I even see the odd DRB driver with faster qualifying times than A or S from time to time)... if the DRA driver might only have run 50 races, and the DRS has 200+.

But for sure, the rating system is too narrow. GTPlanet WRS has 15 division to cover a relatively tiny user base. GTS has 6 to manage many, many more.

Look at all you A and S drivers thinking about the game being too easy as time goes on.
While a guy like me still stuck at D just being clean and semi competitive.
Elitists problem I think,me and tons others are probably ****ed if PD tried to cater to only the best players.
Many cars are better to drive now but calling on rails easy?
That's quite a stretch.

Look at all you A and S drivers thinking about the game being too easy as time goes on.
While a guy like me still stuck at D just being clean and semi competitive.
Elitists problem I think,me and tons others are probably ****ed if PD tried to cater to only the best players.
Many cars are better to drive now but calling on rails easy?
That's quite a stretch.

Hear, hear :)

GT has never been an 'elitist' game - it needs to be playable, and enjoyable for every skill level.

And the cars aren't 'on rails'... you just need to push a bit harder after 1.06 to find the limit... the same challenge is still there if you want to go fast. If it wasn't anyone would be able to set super fast times.

Aww dang. You will get there though.

I'm just working on getting to A. I don't see me ever getting up to S.

That’s how I felt a month ago so you never know. 1 win 1 2nd place and it’s going up again. I’m off tomorrow so I’ll go for S :)

@Stotty Don't run the warm up to avoid being disconnected. The servers are unstable... Many drivers got disconnected in the 4 races I ran today

The main reason for that is just time... not enough drivers have run enough races to reach DRS, even if they are fast enough in absolute terms.

And it's easy to find DRA drivers who are faster than DRS drivers (I even see the odd DRB driver with faster qualifying times than A or S from time to time)... if the DRA driver might only have run 50 races, and the DRS has 200+.

But for sure, the rating system is too narrow. GTPlanet WRS has 15 division to cover a relatively tiny user base. GTS has 6 to manage many, many more.

This is true. I'm DRB, almost DRA. I consistently outqualify DRA drivers, and can be on pace with a few DRS drivers. I just don't compete enough in the online sport races. I tend to qualify more.. then join sports races leisurely.

Have they sorted out some of the yellow flag issues too? I was able to pass people that had spun off today, without getting the penalty that I've been getting since the introduction of the yellows.

This is true. I'm DRB, almost DRA. I consistently outqualify DRA drivers, and can be on pace with a few DRS drivers. I just don't compete enough in the online sport races. I tend to qualify more.. then join sports races leisurely.

You don't actually need to run that many races to get to S if you're selective where you race.

I'll be DRS very shortly (possibly next race), and I've only run around 60 races on-line.

But I've only entered races I am confident I can do well in... for me, this primarily means qualifying well, and only racing grp3 at Suzuka/Brands/Nurb GP and Interlagos. And I've tried to stick to 10 lappers where possible.

In all of those races I've only finished bottom half twice... most of the time I've been top 3... and after I got to A, most of my races have been against VERY competitive fields (numerous races against top 10 qualifiers in Europe).

@Stotty Don't run the warm up to avoid being disconnected. The servers are unstable... Many drivers got disconnected in the 4 races I ran today

Thanks for the heads up :cheers:

I haven't had a DC yet, and would like to maintain that trend.

So much for this latest update, I've lost 90% of my Campaign times has anyone else had a problem.

Edited to add, I've also noticed with the 10% of times that are showing are not my best times, they were pre 1.06, whats going on.

Last edited:
That’s how I felt a month ago so you never know. 1 win 1 2nd place and it’s going up again. I’m off tomorrow so I’ll go for S :)

I don't know if I have the skill set for S. I was at a full B when I switched to a wheel. It fell down to around 75%. But, it has started to climb back up.

I haven't checked it after the update. May be lower now

Edit: just checked, still 75% B

Last edited:
I was driving some Gr. 3 cars last night and playing with the TCS. It seems a setting of 1 doesn't apply very much traction control at all and a 2 setting is way too much. With TCS at 2, I could go full throttle in the middle of tight hairpins and not worry at all. It seems like the 2 setting should be setting 5 and there should be more increments between. What does everyone else think?

I was driving some Gr. 3 cars last night and playing with the TCS. It seems a setting of 1 doesn't apply very much traction control at all and a 2 setting is way too much. With TCS at 2, I could go full throttle in the middle of tight hairpins and not worry at all. It seems like the 2 setting should be setting 5 and there should be more increments between. What does everyone else think?

You were driving the RCZ if I remember correctly? I changed the TCS setting a few times during the race. It was the first time I could hear the engine rattle because of TCS in the hairpin. I couldn’t floor it though but almost. I still crashed at 130R when I pushed too hard on the kerbs and you caught me. Feels easier to push. TCS 3 is fine with that car. I was using 2 before 1.06.

For me the update changed traction levels again (not just traction control), it's much better and so I've ran Gr3 cars without it today (only turned on counter steer to spin out less, well at least that's the theory anyway) with out much issue, before I had to use TC 2 or I'd spin all the time when accelerating.

The only issue now is braking does not seem as good as before the update but maybe that's just me.

Have they sorted out some of the yellow flag issues too? I was able to pass people that had spun off today, without getting the penalty that I've been getting since the introduction of the yellows.

I don't know but I've pasted a few spun cars still on track and got zero penalties so maybe you are correct but the only way you'll know for sure is when you pass one that has just been reset to track as that was 100% a penalty before.

I hopped on for my own personal test this morning. I'm mostly a fan of the Gr.3 cars, so that's what I went with, mostly to see if any changes had affected TCS 2 (the level I use most). I only had 30 minutes, but I went to the Nurburgring GP for its slow corners. Took the corners at 1st gear, and drove both the 911 RSR (grippiest on throttle previously due to engine weight being on rear axle) and the Viper (I mean... V10, amirite?). I eventually turned TCS off completely. On racing hards with no TCS and only ABS, the level of on throttle grip is huge. Even with the default diff setup of 10, 40, 30, you don't get the same amount of snap oversteer as before unless you hit the last reaches of throttle travel. I'm on a controller using the triggers, by the way.

On racing softs with proper diff tuning, you have to be an absolute idiot on the throttle to get the car loose, and even then, it was way easier to catch. Honestly, if I had any skill with drifting, I could probably have pulled off a couple of short drifts on racing hards without issue. Basically, TCS is now unnecessary in GR.3s unless you use X for throttle or something, which I understand.

Verdict: Unrealistic levels of on-throttle grip in powerful race cars (GT3 cars need TCS in real life) make this lean way more in the "arcade" direction of GTS's sim-cade description. Even with TCS in the real life cars, you can see drivers wrenching at the wheels dialing in counter-steer coming out of corners when you watch an in-car feed.

Personally, I think PD needs to be less lazy in their attempts to make the game more accessible to user who don't use progressive throttle/brake input. Accessibility is something I take very seriously, and I think games/software need dedicated accessibility modes. Instead, PD is mucking about with the game for everyone (which really just makes it a compromise for all), when they need to work harder to cater to people who need a bit of help because they need more assists based on their control scheme.

Not a shameless plug. Just a short video of my quick test with Gr.3 911 and Viper to demonstrate what I've said above:

Last edited:
Back