Emergency Update Incoming NOT 1.07

In the final school mission event, with the Cayman, I went a few tenth ls quicker and it felt identical. The rally stages however felt different once again. Much slippier in latest patch, previously you didn't need to prepare corner entry, could basically drive it like a road circuit. Now it feels closer to how the game shipped, not as slippery, but enough to make you alter your driving style.

I also noticed while the circuit times updated, the rally times didn't.

Booted in what way?

Don’t know the Orma guy, but I’ve known @Doodle for many years and I’d be shocked if he had done anything sketchy. He’s always been super fast in any case, and would have no need to.

Sadly I haven't had enough time to really dig into the patch. But I did do a few laps on interlagos in the gr4 Porsche and Megane. I use a controller and just made it to DR A so I am hardly quick compared to the rest here. But first lap with the Megane was 2.5 seconds faster. So easy to drive compared to the Porsche that really is a handful. And the laptimes were very similar to 1.06

I noticed that at least 2 players that were constantly leading in the top ten standings(nations and mfgs races) are now gone. Booted for "cheating" possibly...? Orma_snow and TRL_Doodle.
Both Orma and Doodle are straight up aliens from another planet. They don't need to cheat to be at the top of any leaderboard. Orma is Orange Machines on YT.

Today My DR will be an A after sitting at B since launch day. Its been rapidly rising since 1.07. I don't know if that's a good thing.

I hopped on for my own personal test this morning. I'm mostly a fan of the Gr.3 cars, so that's what I went with, mostly to see if any changes had affected TCS 2 (the level I use most). I only had 30 minutes, but I went to the Nurburgring GP for its slow corners. Took the corners at 1st gear, and drove both the 911 RSR (grippiest on throttle previously due to engine weight being on rear axle) and the Viper (I mean... V10, amirite?). I eventually turned TCS off completely. On racing hards with no TCS and only ABS, the level of on throttle grip is huge. Even with the default diff setup of 10, 40, 30, you don't get the same amount of snap oversteer as before unless you hit the last reaches of throttle travel. I'm on a controller using the triggers, by the way.

On racing softs with proper diff tuning, you have to be an absolute idiot on the throttle to get the car loose, and even then, it was way easier to catch. Honestly, if I had any skill with drifting, I could probably have pulled off a couple of short drifts on racing hards without issue. Basically, TCS is now unnecessary in GR.3s unless you use X for throttle or something, which I understand.

Verdict: Unrealistic levels of on-throttle grip in powerful race cars (GT3 cars need TCS in real life) make this lean way more in the "arcade" direction of GTS's sim-cade description. Even with TCS in the real life cars, you can see drivers wrenching at the wheels dialing in counter-steer coming out of corners when you watch an in-car feed.

Personally, I think PD needs to be less lazy in their attempts to make the game more accessible to user who don't use progressive throttle/brake input. Accessibility is something I take very seriously, and I think games/software need dedicated accessibility modes. Instead, PD is mucking about with the game for everyone (which really just makes it a compromise for all), when they need to work harder to cater to people who need a bit of help because they need more assists based on their control scheme.

Not a shameless plug. Just a short video of my quick test with Gr.3 911 and Viper to demonstrate what I've said above:

Totally with you.
PD is basically lowering down the simulation bar of the game just to make accessible and enjoyable by everyone.

congrats @Stotty on that S DR! Was looking at your stats and you've driven enough to deserve it! haha! See ya on the track.

Haha... most of my miles are from rubber banding to get to level 50 :D

In actuality, I’ve hardly played the game compared to most - golded all the campaign section and the drifting trophy, plus the 63 races on line. Anything above that is from rubber banding.

Why not some news at Playstation Experience?

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/gtsport/news/00_5753038.html
Google Translate
In the revised update on December 6th,
the old record before the update is recorded in the friend ranking of the campaign mode has occurred.

The mode in which the problem is occurring is as follows.

Campaign Mode
 · Driving School
 · Mission Challenge
 · Circuit Experience

This bug will be fixed within a few days by updating.

Although you can play campaign mode until that time, please acknowledge that the record will be deleted by the modified update (It does not affect gold / silver / bronze trophy acquisition situation).

We apologize for the inconvenience to our players.

Haha... most of my miles are from rubber banding to get to level 50 :D

In actuality, I’ve hardly played the game compared to most - golded all the campaign section and the drifting trophy, plus the 63 races on line. Anything above that is from rubber banding.

wayne-manor-10-3-6-1036-never-meet-your-heroes-24671299.png

I noticed that at least 2 players that were constantly leading in the top ten standings(nations and mfgs races) are now gone. Booted for "cheating" possibly...? Orma_snow and TRL_Doodle.

What?

Snow and @Doodle are possibly on the top 3 of the fastest american drivers in the game, alongside IOF.

They do not cheat. If they're not on the top 10 it means they did not make any laptimes there. If they did, they'll reach the leaderboards. They're that good.

One player that we think might be cheating is TRL_Sennna. He sometimes does laptimes 2 seconds faster than these guys i mentioned.

Last edited:
IOF humiliated me at Suzuka yesterday. I was running low 2 minute laps and he was still over 2 seconds a lap faster consistently.

He was a second faster then me in the first sector alone. It was like he was running soft tires. I'd go into a corner, be on what I feel is the limit, and he would just keep accelerating and move his car anywhere he wanted even mid corner and make me look like a noob.

I wish there was more advanced telemetry so we can study the driving style of these guys and compare it to or own. Maybe overlap our cars so we can see when and how they brake and accelerate. I'd like to know where I'm getting beat so badly, and what I can do to fix it. I'm just lost at the moment. In The replays it looks like they are doing the same thing i am, but obviously they aren't.

I was running consistently 2 :02 in an m6. Quali low 2, and top 3-4 were doing 1 sec faster per lap ...do the math. I couldn't break top 3 when they were in it. Grip really went down as the race drug on the m6 really becomes a pig.

IOF is a Formula 3 Driver.
He’s crazy fast. If you watch his replays, it looks like he starts reacting to grip changes before any visual tip. It just looks like he’s moving the wheel to whatever direction, but still goes smoothly where it should.

One thing I've noticed from studying replays is that the faster guys are doing a lot more trail braking to use every last bit of grip they can. I'm pretty bad at it but when it goes right it makes a pretty big difference.
Trail braking makes a difference, gotta practice enough to be able to use it properly. I trail brake someitmes in heavier cars like the Corvette but it's harder to do with a lighter (mostly MR) car.

Yeah it is so hard to get right with any consistency but when you do it seems to keep more weight at the front of the car and lets you turn in with quite a lot more speed.

Yeah it is so hard to get right with any consistency but when you do it seems to keep more weight at the front of the car and lets you turn in with quite a lot more speed.
And that's part of why I like doing it with the Corvette plus I use -2 brake bias (more to the front).

And that's part of why I like doing it with the Corvette plus I use -2 brake bias (more to the front).

Really??? I usually go for 4 or even 5 in the back.
I like that you can touch the breaks and add a lot of turn in.

Do you guys change break balance for each turn? How do you decide the best balance?

I tend to keep moving the balance to the back till it stops undrsteering in the heaviest breaking point. Should I do something different?

Trail braking is pretty much essential if you want to run fast laps

This part. You can find a ton of time with trail braking, especially considering how touchy the Gr.3s are on throttle. You can carry more momentum into the turn and not worry about having to try to gain it all back on acceleration without spinning the car.

I'm on a controller and do it, but it's very difficult to get right or modulate beyond "get slightly off the brakes to enable turn in" with the left trigger. Just the way the modulation works. But if you're on a pedal set, especially one with good progressive feel, it makes all the difference.

Really??? I usually go for 4 or even 5 in the back.
I like that you can touch the breaks and add a lot of turn in.

Do you guys change break balance for each turn? How do you decide the best balance?

I tend to keep moving the balance to the back till it stops undrsteering in the heaviest breaking point. Should I do something different?

I shaved 2 seconds off my lap at Kyoto making fine adjustments to TCS and brake bias in between corners. The time it took to even practice doing it while still trying to control the car + figuring out which TCS or brake setting worked best with what corner seemed like way too much trouble. I'm not saying that no one on the leaderboards is doing it, but the time it takes to dial it in for every car/track combo just seems too prohibitive. It would be insane if all the top guys were doing it for every single leaderboard they appear on.

Then again... aliens do alien things, right?

I always trail brake if I can. Made getting the gold times attainable in the license tests where 'cleaner' driving left me short.

What I like most about this version is there's finally a Gran Turismo with a fully nuanced physics engine that allows a car to be balanced into, in the middle of and out of corners and not so much like understeer and oversteer are black and white events that just happen.

IOF is a Formula 3 Driver.
He’s crazy fast. If you watch his replays, it looks like he starts reacting to grip changes before any visual tip. It just looks like he’s moving the wheel to whatever direction, but still goes smoothly where it should.

I found him on youtube and watched how he handled turns 1 and 2 at Suzuka.

My technique there is to brake as late as possible without going off, then use the throttle to maintain the correct line through turn 2. Well, IOF uses the brakes to maintain the correct line through turn 2 by barely dragging them into the corner and modulating the pressure to keep his line precise. This puts more weight on the front tires and gives them more grip, helping him turn faster. My technique of using the accelerator puts more weight on the rear tires which gives the front tires, which are there to turn the car, less grip. Just one of likely many reasons IOF was beating me like a drum.

Lightly dragging the brakes into and through a corner is something Ive never done, so its not something I'll be able to emulate overnight. But Im sure its a big reason Im sitting 2.5 seconds back on average from the top time.

DR went from A.5 to A.6667, yay free DR!

Jerome

Back