Evolution announces new DLC for DriveClub...

• Thread starter iQuacks
  • 66 comments

iQuacks

(Banned)
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
iQuacks_uDucks
coming 17th December, but has still not released the PS+ edition. I think they need to get their priorities in order.
Sony should be saying "fix the game for PS+, then make money from it"

coming 17th December, but has still not released the PS+ edition. I think they need to get their priorities in order.
Sony should be saying "fix the game for PS+, then make money from it"
The December 17th DLC has been posted about here already, it's in the patch we all got last week with the dynamic weather update. So that begs a question: do you think that the dynamic weather update as well as photomode (both very popular features with players of Driveclub here and elsewhere) should have been ignored until the PS+ edition could be released?

Another way of looking at it, the updates and DLC are also promises made before launch. With the failure of one (PS+) to launch, I don't think it would have been received well by the players if the DLC schedule was also not adhered to.

Due to the nature of the problems they encountered, there are only a certain number of coding staff at Evolution who can work on the problem, which apparently they have been doing. I'm sure they'd want it up and working too, especially after years of working on the game - the last thing I'd want is to continue working all hours available for months more, when all they really wanted is to was take a break, or go on holiday maybe.

I think fixing PS+ edition is more important than a spot of rain.
They are deliberately holding on to the PS+ edition in the hope that more people buy it as Christmas presents. They could have released it by now if they really wanted to because if they can release updates already, the game must already be fixed.

Well, look at it this way: should they care more about the people who didn't spend money on their game instead of those who actually bought it? Personally, I would get very angry if they delayed anything because of the PS+ edition. Just hang in there, you'll get your free edition.

They are deliberately holding on to the PS+ edition in the hope that more people buy it as Christmas presents. They could have released it by now if they really wanted to because if they can release updates already, the game must already be fixed.
Sorry, I don't agree that it's fixed (different code for the social parts of the game and all the rest.) I'd also be interested in seeing some proof of this assertion that they are deliberately holding the PS+ version back for those reasons. I also feel it's very unlikely they'd be doing this on purpose - not really good profit making policy to alienate your customers by lying...it does far more damage than good.

And, I'd hardly call it 'a spot of rain' :lol:

Last edited:
If you own DC and are playing it, it's obvious that they are not holding back the PS+ for no reason. The servers have taken a massive hit again after they enabled the Challenges. The servers are clearly not ready.

One thing I'm really curious about though is the car/track statistics they introduced in the last patch. Why is the game unable to show that by itself instead of it being loaded from their server?

Also, as mentioned, the DLC schedule was announced before the game was released. They had no obligation to release the paid part of the DLC in November for free, but they did because of the server problems.

It sucks that the DC servers are still experiencing problems, but I genuinely believe they didn't know themselves and that they are trying their best.

Honestly in my opinion the servers are working about as well as any other game I've played online lately. Not perfect, but nothing ever is. They've made massive progress over the last month or so.

Well, look at it this way: should they care more about the people who didn't spend money on their game instead of those who actually bought it?

Yes, because those who haven't yet bought the game are potential customers and there are more people that haven't bought it than have. They release the PS+ version, people enjoy playing it and upgrade to the full version. Even if it was slightly playable, there is nothing out there to compete with it and people who are looking for a half decent racing game give it a punt. Releasing paid DLC will bring in less money than people upgrading from the free version would have. That should have been their focus.

They have now missed the potential of pester power from kids wanting Christmas presents and now there's only a 3 month wait for Project CARS - which if you listen to the opinion of GTPlanet (which I do) will wipe the floor with DriveClub. Who will pay for DriveClub in the future? Probably nobody.

Yes, because those who haven't yet bought the game are potential customers and there are more people that haven't bought it than have. They release the PS+ version, people enjoy playing it and upgrade to the full version. Even if it was slightly playable, there is nothing out there to compete with it and people who are looking for a half decent racing game give it a punt. Releasing paid DLC will bring in less money than people upgrading from the free version would have. That should have been their focus.

They have now missed the potential of pester power from kids wanting Christmas presents and now there's only a 3 month wait for Project CARS - which if you listen to the opinion of GTPlanet (which I do) will wipe the floor with DriveClub. Who will pay for DriveClub in the future? Probably nobody.

What? You realise people do different things at a company, right? The servers are their focus, 100%. Everyone that can contribute to improving their servers are. A person building cars or track can't contribute to improving the servers...

The PS+ version will come when they deem the servers are ready.

Apart from both being racing games, I wouldn't compare them at all. They are very, very different games.
People that want a car game focused on simulation will buy PC. People that want a car game that is more towards arcade will buy DC.

I disagree entirely.
It's a free edition, you can't pretend to take away resources from the full and paid game.
Seriously, I could understand if you spent money on the game and It was left without support, but I think the developers did a great job to be forgiven so far.
I'm starting to think that Evo did make a mistake announcing the Ps+ edition, now the internet is full of people going "Boo ooh I don't have my free edition and therefore those who paid for the game (and the season pass in some case) don't deserve a better service than me". No offence intended.
I think even more people will buy it on Christmas sales, knowing that the game has been fixed for the most part and it's pretty good too.

P.S: PCars is a sim while DC is more of an arcade so I'm not considering your comparison.

He is rightfully saying that the people making the DLC (tracks, cars, even the weather in the latest patch) are not the same people that are working on the server problems. Graphic artists work on graphics, track artists work on tracks, car artists work on cars, server programmers work on server problems. The additional content has no impact on the server troubles. So demanding that they hold back content until the people working on the server problems get those solved enough to make the PS+ version available is kinda short sighted.

He is rightfully saying that the people making the DLC (tracks, cars, even the weather in the latest patch) are not the same people that are working on the server problems. Graphic artists work on graphics, track artists work on tracks, car artists work on cars, server programmers work on server problems. The additional content has no impact on the server troubles. So demanding that they hold back content until the people working on the server problems get those solved enough to make the PS+ version available is kinda short sighted.

I'm so glad you're here to offer your opinion on everything. :dopey:

Thank you for saying what I was trying to say, but in a much, much clearer way.

I would agree that the PS+ edition could have been released long before now and they're holding out for more holiday buys.

I would agree that the PS+ edition could have been released long before now and they're holding out for more holiday buys.

Unlikely, they've got a bad start so unleashing the plus edition would have shown alot of players how good this game is.

Plus lets be honest, millions of users hitting a game with server issues isn't a smart decision and will ruin it again for the already paying customers.

Unlikely, they've got a bad start so unleashing the plus edition would have shown alot of players how good this game is...
Absolutely, that's what I don't understand about the counter argument...how could it ever be a good move to withhold on purpose and lie about the reasons?
You probably haven't been playing any challenges over the past few days, so you might not know, but they definitely aren't fit for duty yet from what I've been seeing. It's almost there, but not quite.

Unlikely, they've got a bad start so unleashing the plus edition would have shown alot of players how good this game is.

Plus lets be honest, millions of users hitting a game with server issues isn't a smart decision and will ruin it again for the already paying customers.

Sure, that's the story they're sticking to. I don't agree with it but that's opinions for you.

Absolutely, that's what I don't understand about the counter argument...how could it ever be a good move to withhold on purpose and lie about the reasons?

You probably haven't been playing any challenges over the past few days, so you might not know, but they definitely aren't fit for duty yet from what I've been seeing. It's almost there, but not quite.

Is it any different for paying customers than free customers? I never said everything was working properly. I simply said, they're holding back on the plus edition because its free and it will most certainly cut into holiday sales.

Is it any different for paying customers than free customers? I never said everything was working properly. I simply said, they're holding back on the plus edition because its free and it will most certainly cut into holiday sales.
My mistake then - but I still can't agree for the same reasons I gave earlier: it'd be far too counterproductive for them to do that.

My mistake then - but I still can't agree for the same reasons I gave earlier: it'd be far too counterproductive for them to do that.

The game is now about 90-95% functional, I don't think its going to hurt sales at this point to release the plus edition but I have a feeling since the game is starting to get some hype with the new features, they figure they can hold out on giving away the cow for free through the holidays in hopes that some people can't resist the urge to play it and will buy it. Since they continue to delay the plus edition, they've given no definitive date or timeline for anyone hoping to get the free edition so that only builds anticipation for those that have been wanting to play it but can't without buying it. I'm sure quite a few people in this forum broke down and bought it after hearing the plus edition was delayed with no immediate release date.

...I'm sure quite a few people in this forum broke down and bought it after hearing the plus edition was delayed with no immediate release date.
I won't argue with that, as I'm one of them. The purposeful withholding just because it's Christmas though, still feels unlikely, in my opinion.

Until the OP (or anyone for that matter) comes back provides links to support his statement, I'm afraid I don't see the cash grabbing argument as being anything other than an opinion.

Season Pass content begins.

Yup, it's gonna cost guys.
I have the Season Pass however my PS + has expired so not sure if the DLC will download without PS+ or not. Not really dealt with DLC on the PS4 since I bought it about a year ago.

I have the Season Pass however my PS + has expired so not sure if the DLC will download without PS+ or not. Not really dealt with DLC on the PS4 since I bought it about a year ago.
You should be fine. PS+ is not required for DLC and the digital version of DC doesn't stop working because your subscription has stopped.

You should be fine. PS+ is not required for DLC and the digital version of DC doesn't stop working because your subscription has stopped.

So if I buy the Digital version with the PS plus discount, if my sub runs out the game will still be on the system and will work?

So if I buy the Digital version with the PS plus discount, if my sub runs out the game will still be on the system and will work?
Yes indeed:
Now, If you intend on downloading DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition, and upgrading to the full game experience, you will have access to the full game even if your PlayStation Plus subscription runs out.

And in context: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/05/07/driveclub-playstation-plus-edition-details-2/

I have my Driveclub Special Edition Disc Copy :)

I will be playing the DLC on Wednesday, i'll be sure to post videos of the new cars and new tour.

Back